Chapter 4

×:█「⊰BITTERSWEET° ▬

:CHAPTER ⊹ F O U R ▫ 
     ██████████ ██████████ ██████████ ██████████ ██████████
        sugar and spice . day and night . white and black . sweet and sour . present and absent . hot and cold . shy and bold . love and hate 
              ⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯BITTER &SWEET⋯⋯

“Yun Hee~ Morning!” Aron greeted when he went over to his new classmate that took a seat.

Yun Hee smiled back. “Good morning!”

This is what a normal school day should be like. Greeting each other in the morning, having lunch together, playing jack stone during recess, making fun of the teacher behind her back - not everything that had happened in her last two school days.

“Please, keep it up,” she said with a thumbs up to Aron.

He nodded, not even sure what she meant though. “Okay!” he replied with a thumbs up as well. Aron took the seat in front of her, seeing as how the usual person hadn’t arrived. It was quite early in the morning, and only the early birds were at school.

“I’ve been wanting to ask you something,” Yun Hee began.

Aron raised up his hand. “I’m sorry… I just don’t think of you like that, Yun Hee. I mean, you’re really cute and a great friend-”

“Man, everyone is so confident…” she muttered, amused. “But no, I was not going to confess to you.”

“Really?” he asked, surprise in his tone. “Nah, it just so happens that you're friends with people who have the biggest egos in class - Em and I… and sometimes Minhyun.”

“I would have never guessed it…” She grinned.

“Really? Everyone keeps telling us off.” He paused. “... You were being sarcastic, weren’t you? Don’t end up as mean as Em!” he said with a dramatic sob.

“I don’t mean it in a mean way, don’t worry!” That seemed to appease him, a little. She quickly continued, “Speaking of Em… is she always like that? Her behavior yesterday was very… not nice.” She stuttered a bit.

He laughed. “You talk so cute!” he teased. “Not nice? That’s the rudest pair of words you can come up with?”

“I’m trying to avoid sounding like Em,” she admitted.

“Oh, don’t worry! Sure your voices are the same, but the difference between you two is like day and night. Don’t worry about other people saying you’re like her,” he assured her.

“That’s true… but it seems only you can honestly tell us apart. You must know Em pretty well,” she said with a knowing smile.

Aron nodded. “I’ve been her friend for years!”

“So… has she always been like that?” she asked, now going back to her earlier question.

“Yeah, since the first day we met!” he said with a laugh. “You get used to it though!”

“Used to it? Should you be allowing her bad behavior to continue?”

He shrugged. “The teachers, and even some of our classmates,” this time, he gestured towards Ren who had just arrived, “usually scold her about it. She’s pretty stubborn though!”

“I meant, you?” she asked, emphasizing his friend role in Em’s life.

“I like her just the way she is!” he said with a huge smile.

Yun Hee’s own lips quirked upward at that.

“I’m sure she’ll grow on you too! There’s good underneath her bad girl image! Besides, siblings have to look out for each other, right?” At her confused face, he quickly added, “Minhyun told me yesterday about your mom’s picture.”

“You think we’re related too?” her voice sounded somewhat hesitant.

“Yes… Why? You don’t want to be?”

“It’s not that just… I already have a sibling.”

“What’s another one, right?” he said with a grin.

“No… it’s not that either.” She started to frown.

“So… what are you upset over? That your other sibling isn’t your actual one?” he asked with a raised brow.

“How would you feel if you found out the only sibling you ever knew turned out not to be your true sibling…?”

Aron chuckled and patted her on the head - not fearing the repercussions because it wasn’t Em. “What are you talking about? I’d feel… fine. I’m sure that person is your true sibling - Em’s just some girl with the same blood as you. Your brother or sister would be pissed to hear you say that, right?”

“Leo is three years older than me, it’s to our understanding we’re half siblings. Unless my mom had us and gave Em away…”

Aron frowned. “I’ve seen her dad - looks a lot like her… and you. You have a parents’ meeting later anyway, right? I’m sure it’ll be explained then.” He suddenly stood up when he noted that their teacher had entered the classroom. “Just a word of comfort though, your family is still your family.”

Yun Hee smiled, a small wave of relief washing through her. “Yes, you’re right.”

Ren glanced at his seatmate briefly when Aron took his seat. “... What were you two talking about?”

Aron smirked at him. “Oh~? Why? Did you want to join in? She’s isn’t Em, y’know! She won’t harass you for coming to us!”

“... Next time then,” Ren replied.

Aron’s eyes widened, not expecting that answer. He instinctively looked towards Em’s desk… but was met with an empty place.


“Aren’t we late? I thought he’d treat me to lunch.”

After the meeting is your meal,” Em said, annoyed. “And we came late because I don’t want to be seen walking next to you by other people.” It was a few minutes after the lunch bell rang, the halls were empty, all the students in their classroom.

“I see you take great pride in me,” he mused as they entered the principal’s office. There were more chairs around the principal’s desk now, to accommodate everyone.

“As punctual as always,” the principal noted with a laugh, gesturing for the two Seohs to take a seat. On the side were Yun Hee’s parents, and Em’s dad took the chair across from them. There were two chairs in the middle, Em took the one beside her look-a-like. The principal’s eyebrow rose. “Oh? The resemblance is uncanny, wouldn’t you say?” he asked, more towards the parents.

Em’s father just leaned back on the chair and didn’t respond. Yun Hee’s parents were both equally silent - her mother had her gaze on her clasped hands on her lap, while her father just narrowed his eyes at the other man across him.

“You do look a lot like my mom,” Em suddenly said, facing Yun Hee’s mother. “... So, like, what’s the deal? You gonna cough up that you and my dad did the nasty and had us?”

Their mother looked up at Em, eyes slightly widening. Exactly alike, she thought, but… “Language, young lady,” she scolded, but her voice was soft.

Em’s eyes narrowed dangerously at the older woman.

Yun Hee let out a strained smile. “Easy, Em! My mom’s just not very found of crude words. Don’t get mad at her!”

A chuckle was suddenly heard from Em’s dad. “I see you raised my child well,” he said, grinning widely at the two parents.

Yun Hee’s father glared at him, wondering why he was laughing at such a moment. “... You should have given us the other one as well then.”

That was enough to let the two girls know the truth.

Yun Hee froze, So it’s really true… Em’s father basically confirmed it by his words, “I see you raised my child well,” She was left speechless. My life is a lie…

“Well that sure explains a lot.” Em merely said, folding her arms across her chest. “Appa said you were dead.”

“What? How could you say that to her?” Yun Hee’s, now Em’s mom too, glared at him.

“What did you want me to tell her? That you were off merrily with some rich dude in Busan?” he said with a raised brow. “You’re dead to me anyway - what’s the difference?”

The two girls stayed silent while they were arguing. Em rolled her eyes at the melodrama and glanced briefly at Yun Hee. She frowned when she saw how dejected her twin looked. “Why are you so upset? Is it really such terrible news to find out I’m your sister? You know what, I hate it too!” Em shouted, taking Yun Hee’s expression as an insult to her when it clearly wasn’t the case. Yun Hee didn’t say anything, instead she got up and dashed out of the room fighting back tears.

“Yun Hee!” Her mother called out worriedly.

“I see this family matter is possibly more important than the reason I called you all in here. I’ll let you off this time, but please refrain from causing anymore trouble, Ms. Seoh.” The principal interrupted for a brief second before getting up to open the door for the 3 parents and student to exit.

Once they all exit the room, they stood in the hallway, the parents eyes glaring at each other while Em just stood there observing for a moment.

“You must really hate each other… so I have to wonder, why the hell did you leave me with this sleazebag and take Yun Hee with you?” she said aloud to her mother. “I knew I had a messed up home - but to think you didn’t want me from the get-go?”

Her voice was completely nonchalant when she said that, but it was obvious that the words themselves held a level of hurt. Yun Hee seemed to have the better life while Em was stuck with this ty one.

Their mother made a move towards Em. “It’s not like that, we really wanted to be the ones to raise you. You’re my daughter-”

“She’s my daughter,” their father interrupted. “I wouldn’t turn her into such a weakling like the one I left with you.”

“Don’t you dare say that about Yun Hee!” their mother’s husband said with a glare. “We cared for her and raised her properly!”

“How could you let our daughter behave this way?” Her mom said, eyes burning with fury.

Then came the bickering. Not wanting to stand around to hear it, nor be caught, Em took her leave down the hallway unnoticed.

… It was an unsettling feeling, hearing some stranger call her daughter.


Yun Hee sat up against some lockers, hugging her knees to her chest while fighting off tears. She didn’t want to cry given she’d most likely return to class soon and didn’t want the others to worry about her. So much was going through her mind, it was a lot to take in at the moment as well. What she feared the night before, came true. Despite Leo’s words, and despite Aron’s words about family will always be family… things just didn’t feel that way right now. She felt like she lost someone, her dear father she knew all her life. Just knowing they weren’t related by blood now made it different, it was all she could think about now.

The more she thought about the situation, the more the tears threatened to fall. She lost family and gained family, though Em didn’t seem too pleased. Misunderstanding her emotional expression as an insult towards her, she lost a father that loves her while gaining a sibling that hates her… how are you suppose to deal with that? Honestly she felt like she was experiencing emotional whiplash. Being lied to all her life, having her world flipped upside down… would there be anything positive to this situation anytime soon?

“Excuse me,” She suddenly heard a male student voice ask. “I need to get to my locker, you’re kinda in the way.” He said it kindly before noticing the upset look on her face. “Are you okay?”

She looked up as a tear fell, quickly wiping it away before scooting the other way to give him his locker space back. “I’m fine…” She manage to say, catching another tear that tried to fall.

“You don’t look fine, are you sure? I don’t mean to pry, I’m just concerned is all. Did one of the girls bully you?” He knelt down next to her now.  Only then did he recognize her face, but something was different...

“You could say that.” She frowned. “My sister actually.”

“Oh, you must be Yun Hee, the look-alike of Em’s. Wait… did you just say your sister?” He shook his head trying to absorb those words.

“Yeah, the great and powerful Em is… my twin sister.” She nodded with a small sigh.

“Wow, that must have been a surprise… I heard you were from Busan, so you and Em must have been separated at birth, huh?”

“I don’t know the full story yet. And I’m not sure if I want to either.” Her voice cracked a little as more tears welled in her eyes.

“Why not?” Why wouldn’t she want to know? “I’m sorry, I was being nosy, I’ll stop with the questions.” He caught himself shortly after.

“It’s fine… I’m just having a hard time trying to process all of this. Not like you wake up on a Thursday to find out your whole life is a lie...” She shook her head, wiping at her eyes.

“That sounds so sad… will you be alright?” He reached out, placing a hand on her shoulder for comfort. A natural reaction for him when ever he saw people upset. Baekho was a really kind person, almost like Yun hee, just the male version and not so weak.

“I don’t know… but thank you for your kind words… uh?”

“Baekho, my name is Baekho. Sorry, I should have introduced myself earlier.” He scratched the back of his head a bit embarrassed.

“Don’t we share classes together though? I should have recognized you, so I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine, I’m pretty quiet during class and become invisible.”

“I sure wish I could do the same…” It was true, she honestly didn’t want to be seen anymore. All anyone ever did was mistake her for Em. They couldn’t even remember the simple fact that Yun Hee doesn’t wear glasses nor ties her hair up, how hard was it to remember that small little factor?

“Being Em’s look-alike - I mean twin, must be difficult, but don’t fall into such negativity, alright?” He was trying to cheer her up, and she took note of it. He reminds me of myself…

“Thank you… I’ll try my best.” She gave a weak smile before he stood up and offered to help her up. “Sorry if I delayed you from whatever you were doing...you must be late to class by now…”

“It’s fine, don’t worry about it.” He smiled while opening his locker to put away some books and pulling out some other ones. “I’m invisible in class so no one will notice.”

“I’m pretty sure they’ll notice you walking in during class though.”

“No they won’t, I’m like a Ninja!” He struck a pose that had her giggling. “Good to hear you laughing.”

“Thanks.”

“No problem. Hope you feel better soon, I’ll see you around, okay?” He gave a thumbs up.

“Maybe, if I can spot you in the shadows?” He simply laughed before giving another farwell and taking his leave.

She let out a long sigh. What happens now?


“FUDGE! HOLY MACKEREL! YOU PIECE OF POOP!”

“I see your cursing has degraded.”

Em looked up, a tear falling down her eye.

JR took a step back in shock. “Wait. You must be that Yun Hee-”

“Ow, ow, ow…” she muttered, clenching onto her foot. “I stubbed my toe at the locker. Hurts like a camel!”

“A what?” JR was pretty certain that was Em now. He noted the dented piece of metal. “Why are you kicking my locker?”

Their relationship was a mutual one of dislike. They had a common friend - Aron - so were forced to talk at times. JR hated her rudeness, Em hated his guts. They argued considerably a lot.

“I was just pissed at the world is all,” she said, leaning back on the locker next to it and sliding down. She was seated on the floor, still clenching onto her injured toe - one of her legs bent so she could do so.

JR knelt down and forced her leg flat on the ground. “You’re a girl that’s wearing a skirt,” he merely said before opening up his own locker and getting something. “And you’re always pissed at the world - what’s new?”

“I’m sure you heard about my doppelganger, right? I’m a celebrity - people love talking about me after all.” He rolled his eyes at that last statement. “Turns out we’re twins. She went with the pretty mom and dad, I got stuck with a broke .”

He didn’t make a move to stand, so he was still kneeling next to her. “... So?”

She shrugged. “I don’t know… makes me think that my life’s since I was born. I mean, if it was Yee Hun that ended up with our dad, and I ended up with our mom… would I have had an easier life?”

JR paused for a moment. “Probably. She seems like a well-groomed and courteous person.”

“Damn you. You telling me I’m not well-groomed?!”

He sighed and then stood up. “Do you want to be like her?”

Em shook her head. “No. I love how I am.”

“Then what’s the problem? You still mad about ending up with your dad? He can’t be that bad,” JR said. “What? You’d rather be with Yun Hee’s parents then?”

Em looked down at her hands, already knowing her answer. “... Not really. Not a lot of adults can handle me.”

“That is true,” JR said with a chuckle.

“You’re being oddly nice today,” Em said, laughing. “Creeps me out.”

“... I regret my concern. Anyway, I’m off to class… you should go soon,” he said.

“No way. But… I appreciate the half-hearted worry, RJ.”

He was already walking away, but gave her the middle finger for getting his name wrong. Even though he didn’t see, she replied with the same gesture.

She sat there for a moment in the empty hallway, before finally standing and walking.

“Where to…?” she mumbled as she went towards the path that would lead to the exit.

As she passed a hall, she took a few steps backward again and looked at the lone girl in the corridor.

“Yo, new sister,” Em called out, catching Yun Hee’s attention. “Walk with me.”

Yun Hee hesitated for a moment before walking towards Em. “Um…” she began as they headed to who knows where. “I’m sorry for running out earlier.” She wanted to clear up this misunderstanding as soon as possible. “I wasn’t upset at finding out you were my sister… I was upset at finding out my father… isn’t actually my father.”

Em raised an eyebrow. “What? So just because it turns out you don’t have the same genes, he’s suddenly not family? Damn girl, don’t be so fickle. Be glad you have him.”

“I am,” she whispered. “I really am glad to have them. But right now… knowing that they’re not my real family… it just doesn’t feel that way. Knowing that the people you loved aren’t really related to you...” Yun Hee said, not really hesitating to share this with Em. They were sisters, after all. And if anyone was going to understand what she was going through now, it would be a person that was going through the same thing.

But then she suddenly stopped walking, the realization dawning on her.

They weren’t going through the same thing.

They had exited the school building and were nearing the gates. Em was a few steps ahead and turned her head, wondering why Yun Hee wasn’t following.

“What?”

“I’m sorry,” she said again.

Em groaned. “Why are you apologizing again?”

“I thought… It was very insensitive of me to say all that…” She looked up at Em with a sad smile. “I lost family… but you gained some. Saying that I'm sad over something you're happy over... You are happy, right?” she added as an afterthought.

Em tugged on her arm so that they could continue walking out of the school premises. “Not really - I could care less. I've lived my life without a mom and sister for years... I could keep on going without you. But if you're there... well, you’re there.”

Yun Hee smiled and fell in step with her. “We’re sisters.”

Em glanced at her briefly, wondering why she was suddenly so happy. “Yeah.”

Once they were a few blocks away from the school, Yun Hee quickly asked, “Where are we going?”

“Anywhere. We’re skipping.”

She stopped walking. “Why?” she asked, suddenly panicked. She did not skip class. Never.

“Because you’re my sister, and I won’t be associated with some goody-two-shoes!”

“But-”

“But what?” Em looked at her, narrowing her eyes a little. “Fine, if you don’t want to bond, I get it.”

“Is this the only way to bond, though?”

“Go ahead and run back, I knew you were too weak to skip class.” She simply laughed, turning around to continue on her path away from the school.

Yun Hee stood there for a few seconds, taking a quick glance towards the school in the distance, then towards Em where she was halfway down the sidewalk. What do I do? After having time to think about the whole situation in the hallway earlier, she did think about her new addition to her family, Em. She realizes they’re sisters now and knew she would like to get along with her new sibling as well. Em is entirely different than Leo personality wise, but of course, so she wasn’t too sure how things would go. She was willing to try though, and if that meant skipping class today, well then… she’ll do it, for her new sister. I just want Em to like me. She thought to herself and she sprinted over to catch up with her twin.

“Hmm? What are you doing?” Em noticed her twin catching up to her. She really going to skip class?

“Where should we go? I have money.” Yun Hee smiled pulling out her wallet from her skirt pocket.

“No way, really? You’re honestly going to skip class with me?”

“Sure, why not? You said it’s bonding… I wanna hang out with my new sister.” Yun Hee gave a nervous smile. She really didn’t want to skip class but… she also didn’t want to miss this chance to spend time with her sister either, despite knowing there would be other times. Just one bad choice won’t hurt… right?


Back at the school…

“Uh oh…” Minhyun mumbled as he was looking out the window.

“What is it?” Ren asked, flipping a page of his book before glancing at the two empty seats around him. Yun Hee and Em hadn’t shown up for class yet. Are they still in that parent meeting?

“I’m conflicted, I don’t know if I should feel happy or angry.” He sighed, running a hand through his hair. It was true, his theory about Em and Yun Hee being sisters had to be true, there was just no other explanation. With that said, seeing Yun Hee leaving the school gates with Em made him think two things. Aw, they must be going somewhere else to bond! and How disappointing, Em is going to make her skip class!? Knowing Yun Hee she would do it just to make Em happy…

“What are you going on about?” Ren closed his book, about to get up and see what was bothering him. Minhyun sighed again, not responding to his question. The blonde got up to finally see what he was talking about. “They’re leaving the school?” He was surprised, he didn’t think Yun Hee would agree to something like that.

“They have to be sisters, and Em must see this as a form of bonding…” Minhyun mumbled.

Hearing Minhyun’s words, the small anger that was rising within him subsided just a little. Sisters, huh? Well then… I suppose as long as the two are happy and made peace.

▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
* ✄  END CHAPTER F O U R 

 Preview:  Chapter 5 

“Did you ask your mom about the most important thing between twins?”

“Hm?... Most important?”

“Who’s older between us?”

 

“I am only going to say this once… Don’t get close with Ren - he’s mine,”

“I didn’t know he was yours! I’m sorry!”

 

“Why won’t you face me when I’m speaking to you?”

“Why is she acting so weird?”

 

“... Why aren’t you hugging me back then?”

“Uh, oh.. uh.”

 

 


 

 

 

 A/N: Anyone enjoying the story so far? :D