Chapter 6

×:█「⊰BITTERSWEET° ▬

 

:CHAPTER ⊹ S I X ▫ 

     ██████████ ██████████ ██████████ ██████████ ██████████
        sugar and spice . day and night . white and black . sweet and sour . present and absent . hot and cold . shy and bold . love and hate 
              ⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯BITTER &SWEET⋯⋯

“Do you guys like parties?”

“Yes!”

“Halloween parties?”

“Yes!”

“Wanna come with me to my brother’s friend’s party?”

“Yes!”

Aron stared warily at Em. “Are you even listening to what Yun Hee’s saying?”

“Yes!” she nodded. “She said party! Which means free food! She even said Halloween! Which means creepy and scary stuff! Who gives a damn about her brother?”

“Ehem.. Em, you mean… our brother.” Yun Hee said awkwardly.

Em rolled her eyes. “I haven’t met him yet, so he’s still some stranger. You’re the only new family member I gained from all this drama.”

“Right… so who wants to go so I can RSVP for us?”

“Me~!” two voices chorused.

Em was one of them, but a new person had seated himself besides Yun Hee. Minhyun was grinning brightly at them. “I want to go too!”

“Alright, yay.” Yun Hee smiled, seeing Minhyun’s face. He was always smiling and goofing around while everyone else was either annoyed or dwelling on drama…

“We can invite some friends, right?” he asked. “I’m sure I can force Baekho to come… I might need some help with Ren and JR though,” he said, facing Aron.

Aron gave him a thumbs up. “Don’t worry. Our combined forces can capture those two.”

“Oh, hello. You guys wanna go to a party with me?” Yun Hee suddenly asked the two they were just talking about who sat down at the table.

“Yes.” they responded immediately. Ren smiling.

“Amazing! She didn’t even have to lift a finger!” Minhyun said surprised.

Em clenched tightly onto her chopsticks. Ren had agreed so easily. What the hell? He hardly ever sat with them, and suddenly he joins their table as if it’s second nature? And since when was he so close to Yun Hee that he’d actually agree to a party of a guy he didn’t even know? Why does he even look so excited-?!

A hand rested on her head. She glanced at Aron in irritation.

“Free food and drinks, right?” Aron asked, still facing Yun Hee.

“Of course! All you can eat!” she said.

Em’s eyes brightened up. Aron sighed in relief.

“I’ll let Hakyeon know after school. Tomorrow I’ll show you guys where it’ll be when school’s over, okay?”

“Yay, we get to walk home with Yun Hee.” Minhyun grinned excited like a little kid.


“I think I’m in heaven…” Em said dreamily.

“... Only you would consider a Halloween party filled with scary people as heaven,” Aron said with a laugh as they looked around the house-mansion. “Let’s look for Yun Hee-”

But his friend was already missing.

“... Damn it,” he muttered.

The people Yun Hee had invited had arrived together and though they weren’t kids, it was obvious they were of the younger age group… not necessarily due to their young faces, but because of their costumes.

“Let’s hit on some girls, my prince!” Minhyun said, placing an arm over JR’s shoulder and going to a group of girls… though it was quite difficult due to his costume - which consisted mainly of cardboard boxes. He had come as Optimus Prime - and had received several stares because of it.

JR rolled his eyes… but followed the transformer anyway. He had wanted to go as king, but the crown he had wasn’t big enough, so he settled for a prince. It befitted his nickname - Junior Royal. When he said that, Ren threw his powder at the guy’s face - effectively transforming him into some wannabe Dracula. He went and bought vampire teeth candy to complete the look.

“I’m going for the food table!” Baekho said. He had come as the most terrifying and scream-producing character - Tony the tiger. A few people he had passed by openly laughed at him, but he figured that they took found his costume fun rather than amusing - bless his naive and innocent thoughts.

Aron grinned and fell in step with his friend. “Me too!” He dressed as the Blue Power Ranger, complete with helmet and one-piece. He too had received a few second looks, but just considered them as lingering glances of longing for his awesome costume - bless his ignorant and proud thoughts.

Ren stood by the entrance, abandoned by his friends. He had let his hair down, the tips touching the collar of his costume. He had a shiny, silver and sleeveless top and white pants. While he was receiving a few glances at his direction because of his costume… it annoyed him how some guys were also giving him second glances.

“Hey cutie, you here alone?” One of the male guests walked up to him with a drink in hand. He was apparently older and most likely one of Hakyeon’s friends.

“Cutie?” Ren rose a brow.

“Are you here with anyone?” The guy reached out to take a lock of his hair in a flirtatious manner. Before Ren could smack his hand away, a scythe that looked too real pushed the male’s hand away.

“He’s with me.” The voice was deep and sounded distorted, the effects of a voice changer. They turned to see a tall Grim Reaper standing a few feet away from them, holding the scythe out. Ren froze as the other guy stumble backwards startled. He took off without another word.

Both Ren and the Grim Reaper stood in silence for a moment.

“Who are you?” Ren managed to ask. He was curious on who it was that saved him from that awkward situation of a man hitting on him.

“The Grim Reaper, who are you?” The being said before taking a step closer only to stumble a little. “Don’t just stand there, help! I’m about to fall!”

He stepped forward holding his arms out to help stand the person upright. He was really curious now. His curiosity was blown away when Yun Hee took off the mask. “Aish, it’s so hot under this thing…” She complained, fanning herself.

“Yun Hee?” Ren was shocked. He never thought this tall scary character would be short innocent little Yun Hee.

“Surprised?” She grinned.

“Very.” He nodded. “I can guess that’s why you were about to fall then, correct?” He pointed to the platform boots she was wearing.

“No one would be scared of a short Grim Reaper now would they?” She nearly lost her balance yet again.

“Well they won’t be afraid of an injured Grim Reaper either. I think you should take those off before you hurt yourself.” He sounded worried as she held onto his arm for support.

“Who are you to tell a Grim Reaper what to do, Mr… what are you?” She looked him up and down with a quizzical look.

“I don’t know…  Diva?”

“Why do you sound so unsure?”

“I just threw on what I had…”

“You dress like this outside of Halloween!?”

“I like fashion, is that so wrong!?” He looked at her slightly insulted.

“No, I didn’t mean it like that! I just meant do you dress this boldly any other day?”

“I don’t know, do I?” He crossed his arms.

“How would I know?” She laughed, was he being serious or not?

“Maybe you should see for yourself then?”

“Oh?” She tilted her head, confused by his words.

Before he could say anything further, another male approached them with a friendly smile. He had a camera around his neck as he got closer.

“Yun Hee!” He smiled, opening his arms wide for a hug.

“Oh, Hongbin…” Yun Hee forced a smile. Ren could tell it wasn’t genuine which made him wonder… what was this all about?

“Been awhile, hasn’t it? Sorry I haven’t come to visit you yet, things have been a little busy.” Hongbin apologized. Now Ren was even more curious about this guy.

“Oh, don’t worry about it. It’s fine.” She reassured him with a fake smile. “How’s Luna doing?”

“She’s doing good, we’ve been doing a lot of sightseeing recently, taking pictures.” Ren was starting to feel a bit invisible by now with how they were focused on each other, that was until…

“Who’s this?” Hongbin asked, acknowledging Ren’s presence finally.

“Oh, this is my friend from school, Ren. This is my… friend from my school in Busan, Hongbin.” She was trying her best not to act strange but Ren knew something was up.

“Nice to meet you, I hope things are going well for her here in Seoul?”

“They are.” Ren nodded, it wasn’t a total lie.

“That’s good to hear. Well I guess I should get back to my group and leave you with yours. Have fun. We should catch up soon, Yun Hee.” He gave a small wave before turning to leave. Once she knew he was out of sight, she let out a dejected sigh, not even realizing Ren was still there.

“What’s wrong?”

“Oh!” She looked at him quickly. “It’s nothing, don’t worry.” She forced yet another smile.

He didn’t say anything further about Hongbin. Something must have happened between them… wait, why am I even thinking about it? It’s none of my business anyway...


“Get out of my way.”

“And who do you think you are? Who the hell invited a little girl to this party?”

Em gave the older male her middle finger before facing the food table and piling up her plate with the spooky treats.

“Why you…!” The older male dresses as a zombie scowled and took hold of the back part of her costume…

… and was then met with a plate of food to the face, causing him to fall to the ground at the force.

Em glared at him. “Don’t you ing dare touch my wings, mortal!” she snapped.

She had come dressed as fairy princess. Before the party had started, she had walked around the various neighborhoods, promising little kids that their candy would double if they give it to her for her to cast a spell on… When she ordered them to shut their eyes, she quickly ran off with their bags of treats. The parents were pissed at her, but moving to a different street was easy.

No one doubted a small girl dressed as a fairy princess, after all.

She had actually borrowed the pink dress from Aron’s sister, the beat up pink converse were her own, the tiara and wand was taken from some poor girl… but her wings, she had made with goods from the art club she ‘borrowed’. They were what she put effort in, so for this undead guy to dare touch it…!

The taller boy glared at her and stood up. The height difference was immense. “I don’t hit girls… but punishing children is an exception-”

He reached for the collar of her dress, but his hand was held in place by a blue-gloved one. “Halt there, foul fiend! What do you think you are doing to the Sugarplum Princess?!”

“The what?” Em and the guy chorused.

The Blue Ranger laughed annoyingly- uh, righteously. “This hero will stop your evil deeds!” With his grip on the villain’s arm, he pulled him away and twisted it, causing the tall guy to fall on the ground. The Blue Ranger kept his hands by his back, gripping onto it tightly. “Have you learned your lesson, you villain?!”

“The you ten-years-olds talking-”

The hero exerted a bit more pressure.

“Shi-! Yes, yes, okay! Let go of me already!” he exclaimed.

The Blue Ranger laughed again and stood up. The zombie glared at them both before leaving, thus causing the small audience that had formed to disperse as well. “Ha-ha! And once again, the day is saved! Thanks to the Powerpuff-”

A plate of cookies whizzed by his face.

Em had a single cookie in , her other hand outstretched when she threw the plate. She stood up straight again and stared at the fallen zombie by Aron’s side - the villain that was back and about to punch the poor ranger. “Don’t turn your back to the enemies. How many times do I have to tell you that?” she said.

Aron scratched the back of his neck and laughed sheepishly. “... You got my back!”

“Of course, I do… You didn’t have to cover my front though. I could’ve handled him easily,” she said before taking a bite into her pumpkin cookie.

Aron tsked at her and grabbed a plate, filling it up with food. Baekho had lingered by the drinks station, which was why the Blue Ranger was without his companion. “But you’re the princess and I’m the hero!” he said petulantly.

“Who says I’m some damsel in distress?”

“... but you’re a girl.”

“So?”

“Don’t tell me that scene with me saving you didn’t get your heart to beat faster - even if only by a little?” he asked.

Em glanced at him and frowned. “I guess... I was worried he’d beat you up.”

Aron groaned. “Ugh-”

“But it felt… nice to know that there’s some stupid hero around that’d defend me without asking,” she muttered.

Em grimaced when Aron suddenly pulled her into of his bone-crushing hugs. “You’re acting so cute today!”

He had to admit that seeing her in her cute get-up was enough to make him want to cuddle her, but to think that she’d even be saying such cute things too? He loved this year’s Halloween!

“I’ll give you two seconds to let go of me.”

Aron paused for 1.99 seconds before letting go.

“How precise.”

“I don’t want to get hit- OW!”

She slapped him in the back of his helmet. “How could that hurt? You have a plastic thing around your head.”

“Your hits trespass any shield,” he muttered, adjusting his helmet again.

“How are you going to eat with that thing on…?” her voice died down.

She had finished the only cookie she saved from the plate she threw at the zombie guy, and had just accompanied Aron when he was putting food on his plate. But when she looked down at his choices…

“These are your favorites,” Aron stated rather than asked, he knew he was right. She knew he was grinning despite the headgear. “My mom cooked up a feast earlier, so I’m still full!” he said, handing her the plate.

Em accepted it, still a little surprised.

“Eh? Don’t I get any thanks from the princess?”

“So you were just after my thanks?”

“... I was after a smile actually.”

A small smile tugged at her lips. “Thanks.”

Aron gasped and he clutched onto his chest. “Magic spell! I wasn’t prepared for that dual attack!”

“Stop acting stupid or I’ll throw some black magic at you - and by black magic, I mean my fist.”


“How old are you?” One of the older girls asked the flirtatious transformer.

“Does it matter? 17, Second year.” Minhyun winked.

“Okay, that’s enough out of you, Mr. Robot.” Suddenly a scythe curved around his torso and pulled him back, away from the girls who just laughed at the situation.

“What the- OH, Yun Hee!” Minhyun was about to complain until he saw her face. “Don’t be jealous, my sweet little Grim Reaper? You can claim my soul anyday!” He  turned around, pulling her into a tight hug.

“Just be glad that scythe isn’t real.” Ren muttered nearby.

“Grim… reaper…?” The three turned to the surprised voice.

Em had a hand covering as she gasped. “I love it~! Good job, little sister! I’m so proud of you! Where’s the mask? Can I see? Can I see?” she said, shoving Minhyun away from Yun Hee to get a better look at the costume.

Ren gave Em a thumbs up. “Good job.” Em beamed at him, not sure why he was telling her that though. He had told her not to cling to him during the party earlier, and though she didn’t want to obey, she did anyway because it was him who told her.

Yun Hee smiled, proud of her costume. She handed Em the mask. “Looks terrifying, right?”

“Absolutely horrific!” Em said in awe. “It can even change your voice? Cool!”

“... Crazy sisters…”

“... Why’d you come as a princess though?” Yun Hee asked. “I was hoping we’d make a terror pair.”

“A lot easier to fool kids with this get up. I ended up tricking them to giving me their candy for ‘blessings’.”

Yun Hee narrowed her eyes. “... Why would you steal their candy? It’s their holiday for treats.”

Em shrugged, unaffected by the scolding tone. “I sold them to some rich, fat kid. Hey, I made one kid happy, didn’t I?”

“That.. wasn’t nice.”

“I’m not nice… how many times do I have to tell you that?” Em said in exasperation. Ren and Minhyun looked around for Aron. They could stop Yun Hee (maybe) if a fight happened, but only he could hold back Em.

“Why are you the way you are? Must you go around bending rules and stealing things just to make yourself happy? Hurting others is your joy?” Yun Hee had finally had it with Em.

Em grinned widely. This was what she was looking forward too. Her sister may be a saint, but it was precisely her goody personality that made arguement with people like her so interesting.

“That first question of yours would be a long story. And yes… going around breaking - I don’t bend, psh - and stealing things does make me happy in the long run.” She frowned then. “I don’t enjoy hurting others… if it so happens to get in the way of my enjoyment, that’s when I do so.”

“I wish you weren’t like this…”

“Well-”

“You’re a fairy princess today, right?” Ren suddenly chimed in. The two girls turned to him. “So your job is to grant wishes.”

Em opened to retort, but shut it when she realized exactly who said that. “Uh… something like that…” she mumbled.

“Then if you’re not going to grant the wish of any kid… and to make up for ruining their Halloween… grant your sister’s wish.”

Em glared at him. “No.”

Ren stared at her.

“... n-no…”

He continued to stare.

“... STOP, okay!”

Minhyun patted Ren on the shoulder. “... You’re even stronger than Aron.”

She turned to Yun Hee. “I’m sorry for doing all of that, okay? I won’t steal from little kids anymore and I’ll give away… free candy… some Halloween year. What more do you want?”

“Nothing, because you won’t do any of that, you’re just saying what I want to hear right now…”

Em glared at her. “You doubt my words?” Sure, she had somewhat put loopholes in her sentence… she will still be stealing from adults and that ‘some’ Halloween year could be in a century...

“You steal candy, what makes me think you can give candy?”

Em grew silent… and then she sighed. “This is going to sound so embarrassing… I can do it because… well, have you not heard our conversation? Ren told me to grant your wish. If you wish for me to do it, then I will.”

“If it’s like that, I don’t want to spend my wish on the kids, as bad as that may sound… I want to spend it on you.”

“I’m not a lesbian, don’t get me started on .”

“Can you be serious?”

Em frowned. “I am.”

“I want you to change your ways… no more bending or breaking rules or stealing… also, no more violence.”

Em whistled. “Damn, aren’t you greedy, wishing for so many things. But, yeah, okay. Fine.”

“While I’m being ‘greedy’ I also would like you to stop giving me such a difficult time when it comes to Ren.”

Ren suddenly frowned at that. “What?” he asked, turning to Em. “You’re even acting like that to your own sister?”

It was one of the reasons why he wasn’t nice to her, despite how much she adored him. Any girl that got close to him, she always threatened. No matter what he says, she can’t seem to get the hint that he did not like that.

Em looked to the side briefly, pausing, before facing Yun Hee again. “... Yeah, okay.”

“Be a bit nicer to everyone too, you don’t have to be super nice, just… a little nice would suffice..”

“Yes, okay! Are you done? I’m going to run out of wish magic sooner or later!” Em said waving her wand around.

Aron suddenly stood by Em, his face still covered by his helmet. “Oh? What’s going on? Is Em casting a hex?”

Minhyun grinned. “No! She’s granting Yun Hee’s wish on being a nice girl from now on!”

Aron laughed. “Ah, I guess that’d be say. She’s only a fairy princess for a night afterall!”

Em punched him in the shoulder, causing him to fall back. “IDIOT! Why’d you have to go and say that?!” She was so sure she’d be able to appease both Yun Hee and Ren tonight - just tonight, but her stupid friend went and blabbed…!

Yun Hee suddenly frowned, noticing why her sister had done that. It would have just been tonight anyway, and let alone she just ignored my wish to stop the violence.

Ren pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. “Even if it’s only for tonight… you already broke one of your promises.”

Em frowned. “Which one? She said so many, I forgot the earlier ones.”

“Forget it.” Yun Hee sighed turning around to leave. “I was stupid to believe in it from the start.”

Em sighed and rolled her eyes. “Hey, stupid sister. Wait up.” She turned to the boys. “Don’t follow. I don’t want you to see what I’ll do. It’ll ruin my image.”

“Don’t hurt her!” Minhyun wailed.

“Shut up!”

Yun Hee frowned when Em fell in step with her. The fairy princess took hold of the grim reaper’s hand and placed something in it. “So, like, Halloween is my favorite holiday of the year. I love it.”

Yun Hee looked down at the small item in her hand.

“I enjoy stealing… because I get to buy things with the money I get. My allowance isn’t as big as yours,” Em explained. “So, I figured… I usually only do this with Aron, but since we’re uh… sisters, I figured I could add you in.”

In her hand was a small black cat key chain.

“... Eh?”

“Okay, I get it, it’s cheap! But candy doesn’t sell for a lot! Not to mention I still have to save up for Ren’s birthday!” Em said, looking away, a bit ashamed.

Yun Hee then noticed the small pumpkin keychain attached to Em’s wand. She turned back to the guys who were talking among themselves, and saw a full moon keychain attached to Aron’s belt.

“Every year…”

“Yeah, I buy some stupid souvenir thing for each Halloween. It started when I was kid… added Aron in during middle school… and now I’m adding you in. So stop being so y today, okay? Do it tomorrow, just not today. If you love… Easter or Christmas or whatever religious holiday for a saint like yourself, then I love Halloween, got it?”

“I understand.” Yun Hee gave a weak smile.

Em pulled at her sister’s cheeks. “Be happier, will you?!”

She forced a better smile. Today wasn’t as great as I’d hoped it would… how can I smile?

“Ew, sis. We have the same face. I know a forced smile when I see one!”

“Thanks for the keychain, I think I’m gonna head home now.” She sounded like all the energy inside was drained from her.

Em frowned and glanced out the window. It was already late in the evening, around ten. “Your brother going home too?” she asked. Come to think of it, she hadn’t met him during the party… well, she wasn’t really looking forward to it either. One sibling was already a handful.

Yun Hee shook her head. “No, I don’t want to cut his time short with his friends.”

“... Where do you live?” Em asked. Yun Hee frowned at the question but gave her address anyway. Em pressed her fingers to her temple. “Give me a minute… Nah, I give up. Aron!” she called out.

Aron appeared beside her in a flash. “Blue Ranger-”

His introduction was cut short as Em told the address to him. “Who can walk her home?”

Yun Hee’s eyes widened, realizing what Em was getting at. “No, it’s fine-”

“Are you crazy? You’re not going home alone,” Em said with a glare. “You look as pale as Edward Cullen-” JR “-and it’s pitch black outside.”

“... Ren and Minhyun could walk her. Ren’s house is a little further, and Minhyun’s is closer… but I don’t think you’d want Ren to be alone with Yun Hee?” he said with a grin.

“Optimus Prime and my love will be going with you, got that?”

“A-Alright.” Yun Hee nodded. By now Em could see why she wanted to go home, she looked tired.

The others went over to them when Aron gestured to the pale girl. “Yo, knights in shining armor. Walk the grim reaper home.” When Yun Hee took a step towards the two, she stumbled a bit. “Maybe she should ride on the robot’s back.”

Minhyun agreed wholeheartedly, “You should~”, and approached Yun Hee, but then he frowned when he saw her tired face. He placed a hand to her forehead and grimaced. “Oh dear, you’re hot!” he said.

Ren was too busy getting the address from Aron to glance at the two. So upon hearing the words, he was quick to add, “Yeah, she’s pretty too.”

Minhyun smirked at his friend. “I agree, but I meant she’s hot like she has a fever.”

Aron snickered at Ren’s embarrassed face upon realizing his mistake. Em frowned.

“Let’s go,” he merely said. He took a step towards them. “Need me to carry you? You can go on my back-”

“I’m the stronger one! You’re just some diva-”

“You have boxes all over you,” Ren deadpanned.

“... Curse you, Megatron. And your sparkly shirt.”

“Get moving. The sooner Yun Hee’s home, the quicker she can rest,” Aron said.

Ren bent down in front of Yun Hee, his back facing her. “Get on.”

Yun Hee let out a deep breath and was about to do as told, but her legs suddenly gave way and she ended up falling on top of him. Surprised at the sudden weight, Ren ended up falling forward as well.

There was a second of silence until Minhyun burst out laughing. “Hahahahahahahaha!” he clenched onto the sides of his stomach. “Good job, Ren!” Aron ended up joining in his laughter, and even Em snickered.

Ren flushed in embarrassment and glanced at Minhyun. “A little help, robo boy?!” he exclaimed.

Minhyun was still laughing as he helped Yun Hee up. She leaned on him for support, “Sorry,” she muttered.

His laugh died down as he properly helped Yun Hee onto his blonde friend’s back. “No, no, it’s fine! Ren’s just a weakling.”

Once she was probably situated on his back, she closed her eyes and let out a small breath. “Thanks, Ren…”

He stilled for a moment. “You don’t need to thank me for doing this-”

“Go!” Minhyun and Em said in unison. Aron laughed again at their reactions.

They headed out to the front of the household. Aron waved at them. “Anyway, we’re this way. You’re there~... I’m sure JR and Baekho can take care of themselves. Maybe. We’ll see on Monday.”

Minhyun, and Ren, with Yun Hee on his back, began heading home after saying their goodbyes.

Em looked up at the half moon. “... Not the best Halloween,” she muttered.

Aron shook his head. “The night is still young! You were too busy doing bad stuff earlier, so how about we enjoy the night?”

She frowned slightly, a bit irritated at how even he was saying her deeds earlier were bad, but then smiled at his last statement. “Enjoy?”

“Trick or treat?”

Both!”

“Time for the fun to begin~!”


“Now?”

“No.”

“What about now?”

“No.”

“What-”

No.”

Minhyun pouted. “No fair, how come you get to hold her the entire way?! I even removed one of my costume parts!” he said, swinging Yun Hee’s scythe around.

“She’s asleep, Minhyun. Shut up.”

They lapsed again into silence… but then the two frowned when a voice suddenly spoke up

“I don’t… want to meet my father,” Ren heard Yun Hee whisper into his ear.

“What?” he asked.

She didn’t reply though.

Minhyun smiled. “... A sleep talker, huh?”

“I just said she was asleep, didn’t I?” Ren said in reply.

“Then why’d you reply if you knew?!”

“... Did you not hear what she said?” the blonde replied, his tone going from irritated to concerned.

Minhyun sighed and looked around briefly at their surroundings, twirling the fake dangerous weapon in his hands. After a moment he regarded Ren again. “It’s a family matter, Ren. Even I wouldn’t want to meet whatever father raised Em. But the lovely parents of a sweet girl like Yun Hee? Most definitely.”

They grew quiet again when Yun Hee mumbled something.

“... I’m... scared.”

“Don’t be!” Minhyun suddenly said, hands reaching out to Yun Hee.

Ren quickened his pace to avoid his friend. “Don’t wake her up!”

Minhyun frowned at his friend, but then slowed his steps when they passed his house. “Ah… You’ll be leaving me here then.” He glanced at his two friends. “You know the way to her house, right?” Ren nodded. “You can still carry her, right?” He nodded. “You sure you can defend yourself if a bunch of holdappers-”

“Get inside.”

Minhyun smiled at them. “Night, you two. Take care of Yun Hee, Ren… and be careful!” he said before entering his home.

Ren just smiled at his friend’s overprotective behavior before continuing on his way. The walk was silent, the only sound being the few teenagers still around enjoying Halloween and the wind rustling the leaves of the trees… as well as the soft breathes the girl on his back was making.

He glanced at the mailbox, and seeing that it had the right number, went up to the entrance door and ringing the doorbell. He stood there for a few minutes, but no lights were turning on after several rings.

Ren set Yun Hee down on the bench by the door. He stared at her sleeping form. He needed the key… “Yun Hee?” he said, shaking her shoulder lightly. “Yun Hee? Wake up? I don’t want to be caught molesting you or something when I look for the key on your clothes…. Wake up.”

Ren sighed and quickly patted at the sides of her hips for anything hard and metal, and sighed in relief when he felt it in her front left pocket….

… He looked around, and seeing no one looking, reached his hand into her pocket and got the keys out. Right. Okay… Why was that so embarrassing? Ren shifted his thoughts aside and unlocked the front door, carrying Yun Hee again and bringing her inside.

Figuring her room was upstairs, he went up and looked at the doors… He saw one decorated in pink with the name plate Yun Hee. Glad at how conspicuous it was, he entered and placed Yun Hee on the bed.

He frowned when he saw her pale face earlier was now flushed red...

He had to take care of her. Who knows how worse her condition could get if he just left her there? And who knew when her brother or parents would come back home? He should’ve forced Minhyun along…

Ren quickly grabbed his phone to call his friend, but then stopped… If any of them knew how to take care of sick people, it would be Ren. Idiots don’t get sick - so Minhyun would have very little experience in that matter.

He went into her bathroom and took a small basin and towel. He sat by her bed and placed the cold cloth on her forehead. He didn’t have the guts to remove her dress - no way.

“... Time to leave...” he muttered. He stretched and placed a hand to his back shoulder to relax it a bit, but then froze when he felt something wet.

… That was where Yun Hee’s face was resting.

Was she… crying?... or maybe it was drool?

Ren glanced at the sleeping girl again, and frowned when he noticed the tear stains on her cheeks.

What was with it with this girl and crying? Always, all the time… and it never failed to make him feel bad. He leaned by her bed, deciding to stay.

Ren sat there in silence, until his own eyes gave way, resting his head on the mattress by her hand and falling asleep as well.


Em looked through her candy bag with a grin. “I can’t believe they mistook us for middle schoolers.”

“I am wearing a helmet… and you haven’t changed much since I first met you- Don’t hit me! I’m shutting up now!” Aron searched through his bag again. “Ah, ran out of toilet paper. I was hoping to at least get Mr. Kim’s house…” He looked around from their spot on the sidewalk. “That and no more houses are open… Seems this year’s trick or treat is done.”

He glanced at his watch, it was three in the morning. A small smile made it’s way to his face. They had spent around two hours at Yun Hee’s friend’s party, but around five hours together doing stupid stuff.

Em was freely taking the dark chocolates from Aron’s small treats plastic. “So, we’ll be splitting up soon,” she began, handing him back his bag of candy. “When are you gonna fess up?”

He accepted the bag with a frown. “Fess up? What are you talking about?”

“Those kids I fooled into giving me their candy… you gave them even more candy when I left them, right?” she said.

“Wh-What are you talking about?”

“Hey! It’s the Sugarplum princess!” she said in a high pitched voice. “They called me that for some reason… and you called me Sugarplum princess earlier… They didn’t look mad at me either when they saw me.”

“You met some of them-”

“Yes, when you were busy with the principal’s house. After they called me Sugarplum, they immediately clammed up and said it was a secret - Ranger’s honor was on the line!” she said the latter in another high-pitched voice.

Aron looked away. “Stop… Stop doing stuff like that,” he said in a soft voice. “How many times have I told you? I’ll let you stealing from delinquents slide, but don’t do it on innocent people.”

Em narrowed her eyes at him and was about to reply, but he quickly spoke up again.

“Please.”

Em took hold of her wand and hit it quite hard on his helmet. He yelped in surprise. “The Sugarplum princess will grant your wish.”

“Just for the night?” he muttered.

“Halloween’s over, isn’t it? That wish will last forever then.”

Aron’s eyes widened. “Em…”

“I could care less about whatever my sister wants - that greedy little… But you never ask for anything,” she said, twirling the wand in her hands. “And since you asked after giving me such an awesome Halloween night… I felt generous.”

He smiled at her.

She frowned at him. “I can’t see your smile with that stupid helmet.”

“Eh? You like seeing my smile?” She hit him with her wand again. “Okay, sorry, sorry!” He stood up and out his hand for her to take. “I’ll drop you home! Ranger’s honor!”

She took hold of his hand and let him lead her to her house that was close by. “Walk me home, eh? How manly… I worry more for you though.” He pouted in reply… and she’ll admit that she was a bit peeved that she didn’t see it.

Upon arriving at her house, Em stopped in her tracks when she saw that the lights were on. She groaned. “Dad’s home… You still wanna come in?”

“... What did your dad say?”

“What?”

“When you found out about Yun Hee and your mother… what did he say?”

Em frowned and creased her brows, trying to recall it, but not at all minding the sudden topic change. “I think he said…”

“Your mother’s dead to me. The woman I loved wouldn’t choose that guy over me. You can consider those rich asses family if you want - but I won’t.”

“... I get why you’d hate the mom… but what about my sister?”

“... I don’t like her.”

“Why?”

“She reminds me too much of your real mom.”

“Real mom… as in-”

“Yeah, who our mother was before they broke up… the chick he fell for, the one he considers dead. The guy talks in such a roundabout way sometimes it pisses me off-”

“Oh! Hey there, daughter of mine… and uh… Blue Ranger,” a deep voice suddenly said. Her father had exited the house, keys in hand.

Aron finally took off his helmet. “Ah, it’s me, ahjussi!” he said nodding at the older man.

“Oh! Jason! Hi! I’m surprised you’re still friends with Eun Mi!”

Aron grinned, used to the wrong name. “Of course, I am!”

“Where are you going?” Em asked as he went towards his car. It was the first time she had seen him in a few days.

“Oh, new job I found starts early. I left some money at the table,” he explained. “... Why are you dressed like that?”

Em raised up her wand and pointed it at her father.

He just laughed and shook his head. “Just do what you want, Eun Mi. See you two!” he said, getting into his car and pulling out.

Em’s wand was still poised in midair.

“It didn’t work.”

“... What didn’t?” Aron asked.

“My magic… When I was a kid… this fairy princess costume was what he always wanted me to wear. He didn’t remember.”

“Well… both your memories are pretty… not great-”

“We remember the important things.”

“... You talk in a roundabout manner too.”

Em didn’t reply and just headed to the entrance of their apartment unit. “Happy Halloween, Aron.”

Aron suddenly went beside her. “Hey, Em. I’m a total coward. I don’t think I can walk home alone… Can I sleep over for tonight?”

Em frowned. “You scaredy cat. But fine, sure. Couch is yours,” she said as they entered the living room.

“Eh? But it was just Halloween a few hours ago! Aren’t you scared of all the monsters-”

“I get it, I get it! I’ll take the couch. Go and get the comforter and pillows for your floor bed,” she said, throwing her tiara, wings and glasses onto the coffee table before collapsing onto the couch.

“You’re not gonna change?” he asked, the blankets and pillow in hand.

“Tomorrow… I mean, later… whatever,” she mumbled, still waving her wand about.

Aron just laughed and set his own bed ready, throwing her a blanket which she immediately wrapped around herself.

He wasn’t scared of going home alone, nor was he in fear at the scary people from earlier. He had just wanted to be with her through the night… because that look she gave him when she greeted him a happy Halloween - it was like she was about to cry.

“... Thanks for saving the day, stupid hero,” he heard her mutter. So she did notice the reason as to why he was staying over.

“Anything for the princess!”

 
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
* ✄  END CHAPTER S I X 
 Preview:  Chapter 7 
“Today is a special day.”
“Wait, let me feed you the first bite. It’s the Birthday Boy’s special day, he shouldn’t have to lift a finger for anything today!”
 
“It’s Ren’s birthday - you want him to get mad at you?”
“... Why would he get mad if I made her cry?”

 
“Who’s who now?”
“That one’s Yun Hee.”
“They look exactly the same though! You sure?”
“Completely.”