Chapter 14

×:█「⊰BITTERSWEET° ▬

(Cr: go to their rightful owners)

:CHAPTER ⊹ F O U R T E E N ▫ 

     ██████████ ██████████ ██████████ ██████████ ██████████
        sugar and spice . day and night . white and black . sweet and sour . present and absent . hot and cold . shy and bold . love and hate 
              ⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯BITTER &SWEET⋯⋯

“I love you, Yun Hee.”

Yun Hee stared at Em.

“You’re the best sister ever. You’re very kind and beautiful and smart - you’re damn near perfect!”

“... Em?”

“The sun shines over you! Lady Luck is your biggest fan! I’m sure there are hordes of boys that’ve fallen for you!”

“... Um...”

“Your voice turns everyone into mush and your aegyo is unbeatable-”

“You need something, don’t you?”

“... Oh God, yes. Help me make chocolate.”

“Sure thing!”


“It’s Valentine’s day! You ready for some diabetes?!” Aron said, meeting up with his friends that were by the school gates. “I wonder who’ll get the most chocolate this year!”

“Me,” Minhyun, Ren and JR chorused.

Aron grinned and elbowed Baekho. “What does last year’s winner have to say?”

“Uh… good luck, guys…?” he said with a laugh.

“You think we need luck?!”

“Are you making fun of us?!”

“How did you get so many last year anyway?!”

Aron patted his friend who was shrinking back at the loud voices. “Don’t mind them. Those are the voices of sore losers.”

Ren glared at him. “You lost too-”

“I was second place~!” Aron said, grinning proudly. “... mister last.”

The blonde groaned and facepalmed. “Don’t remind me,” he mumbled. Em had done a wonderful job last year, and by wonderful, she did great in threatening several girls into not to give him chocolate.

“Hey guys!” A wild Hyuk suddenly appeared by them.

“Who said you could talk to us!?” Both Aron and Ren chorused with jealous tones in their voices.

“You guys are never gonna get over it, huh?” He laughed.

“Get over what?” Baekho seemed lost in the conversation.

“I’m your friend, not your enemy!” Hyuk added. “Yun Hee’s cute and sweet but I only see her as my little friend I like to tease. And well Em… Em is just Em and as much as I like strong girls, I’m not into her like that.”

“How can you not like her?!” Aron said with a frown.

“What the-? Do you want me to be a threat or not?!”

“No, I’m perfectly fine with you not liking her,” Ren said instead, glaring at him. “She’s mine.”

He was met with a slap to the back of the head by Minhyun. “What are you talking about?! She’s clearly mine!”

“Who’s yours?” a female voice suddenly chimed in from behind them.

Yun Hee was behind them, her head tilted in confusion and a small frown on her face. Em was beside her, wrapping her scarf around her neck and almost choking herself.

“You’re mine~!” Minhyun freely said, reaching out to grab her into a hug.

Ren held onto the back of his jacket to keep him in place though. “Don’t treat her like some object.”

“What?! But you said that first-!”

“I see something nice,” Hyuk suddenly said, catching sight of the pink paperbag Yun Hee was carrying.

Yun Hee laughed and hid the bag behind her back. “You don’t get any!”

Hyuk sniffed and glanced at her with a hurt expression. “Eh? But before these guys, wasn’t I your friend first-”

Minhyun and Ren placed a hand on each of his shoulders.

“... I’ll head to class now! Don’t want to be late! I’ll get my chocolate later, Yun Hee!” he said with a laugh, before facing Em. “As well as yours!”

“What? Who are you again?” Em muttered as she tried to fix her scarf, but ended up with a huge knot.

“Your boyfriend,” Hyuk answered with a grin. Not only Minhyun and Ren, but now he could also feel Aron’s deadly aura.

JR and Baekho were by the side, taking amusement in the bloodlust emanating from their friends.

“... And I’m out of here!” he said with a strained laugh, running into the building to avoid any assault.

Em groaned and removed her scarf, trying to untie it. “The hell was he on about?” Aron just laughed and went by her, taking her scarf and undoing the knot himself. Hands free, she turned to Ren.

The blonde instinctively took a step back.

“Did you get any chocolate yet?”

“... No,” he said, a bit suspicious. “Should I expect not to receive any throughout the day?”

“Oh, don’t worry!” Aron said, “I helped you out. She just threatened everyone to not give chocolate to you before her!” He then wrapped the scarf around his friend’s neck properly.

“And if she gives me her chocolate a minute before midnight?!”

Em held out a heart-shaped red box that was tied with a pink bow.

Ren took hold of it. “... You’re early today,” he merely said.

“I don’t trust those other girls to obey me, so I decided to come early anyway…” Em smiled at him. “Happy Valentine’s Day, Ren~!”

Upon seeing the smile she solely only gave to him, Ren smiled back. “Thanks.”

“Don’t worry, I helped her make it!” Yun Hee chimed in with a giggle when she saw Ren look hesitatingly at the box.

“I’ll eat it later,” he said, placing it in his bag. At Em’s frown, he quickly said, “You don’t believe me?”

“I do!” Em quickly said.

“Good. Let’s get to class… Don’t want to be late on the few days you’re early, right?” he said with a smirk as the group finally began heading into the building.

“Right!” she said, another bright smile on her face as she fell in step with him.

“He’s humoring her,” Minhyun muttered to JR. “... Why?”

“He’s probably trying to hide his disappointment that Yun Hee hasn’t give him anything yet,” JR replied with a shrug.

Aron overhead and frowned at them. “Ren isn’t like that. There’s nothing wrong with him being nice to Em, is there?”

Yun Hee nodded in agreement. “He’s right! You two shouldn’t jump to conclusions.” I plan on giving Ren chocolate, just not in front of Em.

“Ah true. Getting chocolates from any girl is great~!” Minhyun said with a sigh. “But I’m sure he’d probably be a million times more happy if it came from you!”

“I see," she smiled weakly. Would he? After I basically acted like his Christmas gift didn’t affect me...

Aron shoved Minhyun roughly in the shoulder. “Don’t be so insensitive. Sure, Ren likes Yun Hee more, but don’t go saying that Em’s doesn’t compare at all!” he said with a glare.

“Easy, Aron! Why are you so angry today?” Minhyun said, trying to appease his friend.

“Because he didn’t get any chocolate from her,” JR said… but Aron had already sped up his pace towards Ren and Em and hadn’t heard it.

There was a brief moment of silence until Baekho suddenly said, “Time to enter the chocolate factory~!"

On cue, girls began to surround them. Yun Hee managed to escape before she could get trampled.


“Good morning, class. I see everyone’s in a Valentine’s Day mood…” Mr. Kim said, glancing over the class… his eyes falling on Em. “... I see you’ve finally graced us your presence today, Ms. Seoh.”

“I was here yesterday… or was it the day before… or the week before…” she pondered.

“In case you don’t show up to my class again for several days, I’ll speak with you now,” he said, pointing to the door. “I have quite important matters to discuss with you. Class… you get a few minutes of free time…” He looked down at his grading and attendance record. “... Or perhaps several minutes,” he mumbled. Em gulped and followed after him.

Once the teacher left the room with Em, Yun Hee opened her book to look at. She could feel eyes burning into the back of her head and figured they were Ren's. She smiled to herself before grabbing something out of her bag and made her way over to Ren and Aron's desks.

"You can sit here if you'd like?" Ren smiled, patting his lap.

"Seriously?" She laughed. Well at least he's joking, right?

"Completely serious." He nodded.

"Don't leave the man hanging, now." Aron joked.

"Keep hanging then, I just came by to drop these off." She tossed a small box of heart candies towards him before handing Ren his. "Have these for now." She waved before turning to leave back to her seat.

Ren frowned, watching her leave. It's like she's been avoiding me since Christmas... he thought before looking down to the small box of heart shaped candies. At least she gave me something... a small smile grew on his lips.

"You've got to be kidding me..." Aron quietly complained. The blonde looked over to his seatmates desk to see he had poured out the candies onto the desk, all of the hearts were blank, like they had the words scratched off.

“What did you do to receive something like that?" Ren held back a laugh.

"We'll at least it's still candy." He sighed before popping some into his mouth. Ren shook his head before opening his box of candies. At least his had words on them, though the first heart he was met with had 'I want you' on it.

"I wish..." he mumbled before eating it and pulling another one out. It had the same wording. This box of candy is cruel. He pouted. The next one....

He quickly dumped all the candies out onto his desk like Aron had, every heart had the same wording! I want you. Is this a sign!? He looked up to catch Yun Hee looking back at him. She quickly turned forward, hiding her face behind her book embarrassed, he could see her ears turning red, meaning she was blushing! A giant smile came to his face… I knew it...


“I’ve noticed Yun Hee hasn’t received much chocolate today.” Minhyun mentioned before lunch was over. “You’d think she’d be drowning in them by now?”

“Oh that… well.” Hyuk started, remembering earlier this morning.

“Is this all of them?” Leo asked Hyuk as they stood at the top of the stairs in front of the school, most of the male students standing in a crowd before them.

“This should be the majority of them, the ones who like Yun Hee that is…” Hyuk answered back quietly.

“This better be all of them.” Ken warned in a low voice as he was standing next to Leo.

“Listen up, I know today is Valentines Day, the day you all give chocolates to the ones you admire.... Leave Yun Hee out of it.” Leo stated with a serious tone.

“Give her chocolates, and you die.” Ken added with a glare. All the male students backed up in fear.

“Guys, aren’t you being a bit much?” Hyuk gave a worried laugh.

“Fine,” Leo sighed turning back to the students. “She gets sick from any of the chocolates she eats today-”

“You die where you stand!” Ken finished for him. Leo turned to him with an approving smile.

"What's with the threats?" JR asked curious.

"Well, last year someone accidentally gave her expired chocolates and she got sick."

"Aw, poor thing." Minhyun frowned. "I can see why they wouldn't want to risk it happening again."

"What about us? Does that mean we can't give her chocolates?" Baekho asked.

"I would think friends are okay, just be careful though, alright?" Hyuk sounded unsure.

"Of course we'd be careful!" Minhyun reassured him with a bright smile, "This is Yun Hee we're talking about. I'd never dare to harm her or get her sick!"

"It's not me you have to please, it's the lion and tiger you have to appease." Hyuk shook his head. "Good luck... all of you."


Yun Hee was in the hall, getting her textbooks from her locker for the next class. She was happy school was almost over, meaning she could give Ren his chocolates soon. When she shut her locker door she was startled when she saw Ren leaning against the locker next to hers with a grin.

"Boo." He teased.

"Wrong holiday!" She pouted, holding a hand over her racing heart. "What are you doing? Stalking me now?"

"And if I am?" He teased.

"You're silly." She smiled. Things weren't as bad as she thought it'd be. This had to be the first time they really talked and joked like this since Christmas.

"I got your message." He shook the small box of heart shaped candies. She looked down with a blush almost immediately.

"Message? What message?" She stuttered.

"Do you remember my message?" He just had to ask.

"What message?" This time she frowned. He knew why she was being this way.

"Yun Hee..."

"I don't remember." She shook her head.

"Sure you do, you wouldn't have given me this message if you hadn't." He smiled sadly. All he wanted was for her to return his feelings.

There was a moment of silence before she spoke again.

"It's difficult..." she looked up at him with a hesitating look.

"I know."

"But I... I.."

"I know." He smiled. "I hear you loud and clear." He pulled her into a hug. Her eyes widened.

"What are you-!"

"Let's go out later. I have something to give you at the end of the night... will you come?" He said quietly into her ear. By now her face must have been beet red.

"Can't you just g-give it here at school?" She stuttered in his embrace. She was really hoping no one was seeing this.

"No. Not here. I'll pick you up at 7pm." He kissed her cheek before letting her go. Her surprised look made him laugh. "You're so cute."

"You...I- what? Why?" She was tongue tied, not sure how to react to what he just did. He acts like we're dating!

"Hurry, before you're late to class." He reminded her pointing to her books.

She couldn't think of anything to say... Dang it! She took off to her next class. Throughout that class she couldn't stop thinking about him.


 

I thought you already gave Ren your chocolate?” Aron asked when he saw Em sitting on the staircase, looking down at a box of chocolate.

Em stared at the pink box in her hands. “... These are mine… Someone gave me chocolate,” she explained.

 

“Didn’t you say you’d throw out any chocolate not from Ren?” Aron asked, sitting beside her.

 

“Well, yes… but…” She met her gaze with Aron’s. “I didn’t expect it to actually happen!” A grin now graced her face. “Someone gave me chocolate! Someone actually likes me!”

 

Aron laughed in amusement at how excited she was. “Who gave it to you?”

 

“Some guy in my PE class. He said that he always admired how strong and confident I was!” she said, smile growing bigger at the memory. “... A bit weird though.”

 

“Weird?”

 

“Yeah. He’s the president of the judo club here, but I always whip his … and I beat up some of s too during practice… Maybe he likes getting beaten? I hang around such masochists!” she said with a laugh. She tugged at the bow. “... Can I open it? I’m opening it~!”

 

She untied the ribbon, but before she could remove the lid, Aron quickly forced his hand on it so that it would remain closed. “Wait!” he said, trying to hide his panic. “He didn’t give you a letter or anything? You might have dropped it! I’ll hold it for you!” he quickly said, grabbing the box from her hands.

 

Em eye’s widened at his words. “You’re right! He didn’t say much after giving it to me…” She stood up and went down the stairs to look around for the fallen paper.

 

Aron opened the box of chocolate in his hands.

 

BARBARIC MONSTER was the icing on the large heart-shaped pile of dirt.

 

“Someone gave me chocolate! Someone actually likes me!”

 

“That idiot…” he muttered. He quickly removed the plate of dirt in the box and threw it in the nearby trashcan. He looked at his own paperbag filled with chocolates. He hadn’t opened a single one yet, how would he know which would fit in this box…? He glanced at his own backpack.

 

Em came back to him with a frown. “Didn’t see any-... Hey! Why’d you get to look at it before me?!”

 

Aron just laughed and handed her back the box. “Just wanted to make sure it was for you! He might’ve mistaken you for Yun Hee or something!”

 

She took hold of the open box. “No, he didn’t! It says my name clearly on it!”

 

Eun Mi was the icing now… on the chocolate Aron had made and planned on giving to her later.

 

Em sat beside him and removed a small piece of the heart-shaped dark chocolate and placed it in . She placed a hand to her cheek and smiled. “Tastes so good~!”

 

Aron smiled. “Thanks!”

 

“Why are you saying thanks?”

 

“No reason!” He laughed. “Happy Valentine’s Day, Em!”

 


 

“You’d think she’d beat us up by now?” one of the members said with a frown. “I’m scared.”

 

“Don’t be such a wuss,” a friend of his said, rolling his eyes. “We’re in club practice, even the coach is here. She wouldn’t cause a scene.”

 

“… And she’s still a chick,” the club president of their judo club said with a smirk. “She actually looked… happy when I gave her chocolate. Wanna bet that she’s crying now?”

 

“No way! Em crying? Ha! There’s a higher chance that she’d just barge in here like the terrifying monster she is!”

 

On cue, the door to their dojo opened.

They were met with the monster tamer instead. Aron smiled at them. “Hi~!”

The president suddenly stood up and narrowed his eyes at the intruder. “Non-club members aren’t allowed. Get out.”

A small girl peered from behind Aron. It was their club manager. She was smiling at them. “Aron-oppa asked if he could have a spar with you! He might consider joining if you put up a good fight!”

He glared harshly at the grinning boy – Aron was clearly taking advantage of the fact that their manager was a fan girl of his… Not like it mattered. The president stood up and went to the middle of the mat. “Alright. You need gear-?”

Aron went in front of him. “No… I’ll finish this quick.” Once the female manager was out of earshot, Aron smiled sweetly at his opponent. “Think of your loss as my valentine’s gift for you, oppa~!” he said in a giddy voice.

The president laughed in reply. “What? You’re here to avenge your wild dog? How cute!” He crossed his arms and regarded Aron with another chuckle. “I’m surprised you went through the trouble! You’re the only friend she has in this place.”

“I’m the only friend she needs.”

He laughed again. “What do you even like about her?”

Aron frowned and tilted his head, wondering why they were asking such an obvious question.

“Everything.”


 

“What’s with the half-panda look?”

 

Aron sighed and sat on one of the chairs. His entire body was aching. He had beaten up the president real good… but that didn’t mean he did it without a scratch.

 

The classroom was empty. On request, Em had waited for him to finish whatever business he needed done. And here he comes in… with a black eye and arm around his stomach in pain.

 

She stared at the dark rim around his left eye… Em handed him a pink heart mask with a smiley face.

 

Aron took hold of the mask. “What’s this?”

 

“My Valentine’s gift for you. I did it in art class a while ago,” she said with a grin. “Cover your bruised up face with it.”

 

“I only got one black eye!” he said in defense, not putting on the mask though. “And I can’t see with this!” he said when he saw the lack of eyeholes.

 

“Don’t be so picky!” She poked him in the ribs. He winced in pain. “… You hate violence… What happened?” she asked, getting serious now.

 

“… Fought with someone,” he muttered.

 

“I can see that. Over what?”

 

“Over a girl.”

 

Em suddenly grinned. “Eh~? Really?! Who’s the unlucky girl?”

 

Aron frowned at her too honest reaction.

 

Why aren’t you even slightly jealous?

 

He sat up straight and shook his head. “Not telling,” he said, holding up the mask to cover his face.

 

“You’ll tell me sooner or later... So, what? He went after your girl?” she asked.

 

“… Yeah.”

 

“Is she already yours?”

 

“… No.”

 

Em rolled her eyes. “Then get her, Aron! Since you like her, she must obviously be awesome! Loads of guys are gonna go after her if you don’t make your claim!”

 

“I… can’t,” he whispered, face still covered. He didn’t want her to see whatever expression he was making.

 

The girl he liked was so freely telling him to confess to another girl.

 

“Why not? You’re you! I’m sure she’ll accept your feelings!”

 

… Will you?

 

“Just go up to her and confess! Sweep her up and kiss her!” Em took the mask away from his face and grinned at Aron. He quickly averted his gaze. “There’s no way she didn’t fall for you when you first met!”

 

But you didn’t fall for me… you never did. You’ve had so many crushes in the past… but why is the one you like never me?

 

“I’m not so sure about that… Confessing and kissing her?” he said with a weak laugh. “You can do it so easily, but…”

 

He recalled her confession to Ren a year ago. She was confident, so sure of her feelings. Even though the chances of her getting rejected were so high, she didn’t mind… but he did. And kissing… He recalled the Christmas party at Yun Hee’s house and the mistletoe incident, flushing a little at the memory. How could she do that so easily?

 

He was pulled out of his thoughts when Em stood up and pulled on his arm to have him stand as well. “What…?”

 

Em put on the heart mask and tied it securely. “Then you can use me for practice!”

 

Aron’s eyes widened when he was met with a smiling, pink heart-shaped face. “Practice?”

 

“Yeah, you coward. What better way to prepare than actually doing it with a girl, right? Just imagine that I’m that girl you like.”

 

Then remove that mask and you will be her.

 

Aron stared at his friend… at the girl he liked. The sun was beginning to set, giving a warm glow over the classroom. They were by the windows, the orange light casting them a large shadow. He turned to the side, glancing at their black silhouettes. It was just the form of a single girl and a single boy among several shadows of different objects.

 

It had always been like that. It had always been just the two of them. No matter who came into their relationship, their own friendship never wavered. They had gone through friends and enemies that past years… but in the end, it was always just the two of them.

 

He didn’t know when it started… when he had started liking this girl more than a friend. Back when they first met? When she got her first crush? After a few years of friendship? Yesterday?

 

“I love you,” he whispered, staring into the black eyes of the plastic mask.

 

Em made no move. Her hands were behind her back, waiting patiently for him to keep going.

 

“I don’t know when I started feeling this way… maybe there never really was a specific time I fell for you… maybe, through all those years, I gradually began to like you more and more and more…”

 

He took a step towards her, their distance now barely noticeable.

 

“He asked me earlier… what I liked about you…” He laughed lightly. “I said ‘everything’… I do like everything about you… but what I love is the side you only show to me… I’m the only one who knows this side of you…”

 

Aron placed his hands on her shoulders.

 

“… I know you more than anyone. I love all your flaws, all your wonderful traits… you. I love you,” he whispered again before leaning it.

 

His lips met the cold feel of plastic.

 

When he pulled away, hands still on her shoulders, Em nodded. “That was great! I’m sure she’ll fall for you with that! I got shivers and everything!”

 

She made a move to remove the mask so she could see his face, but Aron quickly took hold of it on the side to keep it in place. “Don’t...”

 

“What? You still want to keep practicing?” she said, keeping the mask on.

 

He leaned forward, his forehead now resting on her shoulder.

 

“Aron?”

 

“I’ll get rejected.”

 

“What makes you so sure?! You haven’t even confessed yet-!”

 

“I just did.”

 

He could feel her tense at his words.

 

They stood there for a moment in silence, until Em took a step back away from him... She laughed. “Very funny, Aron! Don’t make me nervous with a joke like that!” she said, her laugh echoing across the walls of the empty room.

 

“Best joke ever, huh?”

 

“Yes! Hahahaha!”

 

“... It wasn’t a joke.”

 

“... What?”

 

Em didn’t like him. She had thought his confession was just a joke. She had never even considered him as something more. It had never crossed her mind. Them as more than just friends had never occurred to her.

 

She didn’t even acknowledge his feelings. It was far worse than an actual rejection.

 

“Sorry,” she said, removing the mask and looking at him in the eyes. “I don’t like you like that, Aron.”

 

He let out a strained laugh. “No hesitation, huh? No ‘give me some time’ or even a ‘let me think about it’ first? Just straight out... rejection automatically...”

 

Em nodded. “Yes.”

 

“... Are you sure?” He hated how pathetic that sounded. He knew she disliked it too.

 

“... Let me make sure then,” she merely said before walking up to him.

 

Aron gulped and tried his best not to back away. He could usually read his friend easy, but now he had no idea what was going on in her mind. She was now right in front of him. Aron took a step back, but his back met the edge of a desk. She leaned into him and placed her hands on his chest, tiptoeing so she could hover her lips over his own.

 

... But it was just that.

 

She patted him on the upper left of his chest before leaning back. “Your heart’s beating like crazy.”

 

“Well, of course! You just came and-”

 

She pointed at her own heart. “Mine’s perfectly calm.”

 

Aron’s eyes widened.

 

Em crossed her arms and tilted her head at him. “That proof enough for you?”

 

He didn’t answer at first. Em just stood there, waiting for her friend to collect his thoughts. Aron finally looked up at her. “So… I just ruined our friendship for nothing, huh?” he said in practically a whisper.

 

Em scoffed and hit him lightly on the shoulder. “What are you talking about? I’m sure you’ll get over this soon! We’re still friends!”

 

“But I don’t want to be just your friend,” he said.

 

“... Well, I do,” she responded. “So I guess this is a game on who’s ‘want’ is stronger, huh?”

 

“... I’ll win.”

 

She laughed and headed for the door. “No, you won’t! You like me, remember? You’ll do what you can to make me happy - which includes winning!”

 

“You’re already taking advantage of my feelings so early on in this game?!”

 

She grinned at him. “They belong to me, right? I can use them however I like!”

 

Aron shook his head and sighed. “Insensitive, little-”

 

“You still like me~!” she said in triumph. When he made no move to follow her, she frowned. “Let’s head home?”

 

Aron glanced at her before looking down. “You go ahead, just for today… okay?”

 

Em stared at him for a moment. “... Sorry.”

 

He held out his hand. “... My Valentine’s day gift,” he said instead, looking at the mask still in her grasp.

She threw it at him and he caught it effortlessly. When he said nothing, Em left the room with a final wave at her friend.

Aron stared down at the heart in his hands, fingers grazing over the lips of the smiling face.

▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇

* ✄  END CHAPTER F O U R T E E N