Chapter 13

×:█「⊰BITTERSWEET° ▬

 

:CHAPTER ⊹ T H I R T E E N ▫ 

     ██████████ ██████████ ██████████ ██████████ ██████████
        sugar and spice . day and night . white and black . sweet and sour . present and absent . hot and cold . shy and bold . love and hate 
              ⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯BITTER &SWEET⋯⋯

“Merry Christmas!” Yun Hee’s parents cheered at the top of the stairs. “Please, help yourselves to the food, chat, enjoy your time here.” Her mother insisted to everyone.

“Don’t have to tell me twice~!” Em rushed to the table full of food. She couldn’t help but hear another voice speak in sync with her just then. She looked to her right to see Hyuk, grabbing all sorts of items from the table. Em gave him a thumbs up, “Comrade!” she said with a grin before grabbing a large plate as well.

“Seriously, where are these kids manners!?” An annoyed Hakyeon walked up to the table. “You two should at least wait till the elder people get their food first.” He scolded.

“I’m sorry, senior citizen, would you like me to make your plate first?” Hyuk asked, being the rebellious dongseang he was to his hyung.

“What are you talking about? He’s an elementary kid… would you like him to pick you up so you can see the food?” Em said with a smile.

“Yah, yah, yah, what are you rascals doing?” Another male guest approached them.

“Uh oh, it’s Kenjumma…” Hyuk mumbled. Ken, one of Leo and Hakyeon’s other friends, came up to the table with a scolding look. He was known for scolding Hyuk the most, acting like an Ahjumma most of the time.

Em frowned at Hyuk’s sudden dread. “Want me to get rid of him?” she muttered to her friend while putting more food on her plate. It was rare for her to find a fellow food lover that wasn’t ashamed of his desires. She didn’t mind helping him out.

“Kenjumaaaaa~!” Yun Hee cheered, running over when she heard his scolding tone.

“... Your sister likes him,” Hyuk whispered back with a sigh. “Best you spare him.”

“Sunflower!”

“I said to quit calling me that!” Yun Hee pouted.

“You’re just as adorable as I remembered!”

“You say that every time we meet!” She sighed, turning to Em. “This is our brother’s friend from Busan. Ken, but everyone calls him Kenjumma. Because he scolds Hyuk a lot since he’s such a troublemaker!”

“I resent that!” the troublemaker said in his defense.

Em looked at the them briefly, frowning slightly at Yun Hee. “... What are you talking about? I don’t care about some stranger’s friends.” She didn’t know how insensitive it actually sounded.

“So this is Em, my twin. And yeah well… I’m sure Hakyeon and Leo have told you about her?”

“Yes, I’m aware she’s a . Don’t worry.” He patted her head. Yun Hee cringed when he said that.

“Takes one to know one,” Em merely said.

“I’m the baddest in town, don’t you mess with me, shrimp!” Ken snapped his fingers and did the head spin. He was just playing until...

“He’s so annoying,” Em muttered. “Can I punch him?” she said, turning to Yun Hee.

“Don’t do that… it’s best you didn’t do that.” Yun Hee shook her head quickly.

“Then can I kick him?”

“Girl, you keep threatening all you want, you ain’t gonna touch me.” He waved a finger in the air.

He was met with a plate of pasta to the face.“You’re right. I don’t want to dirty my hands by actually touching you,” Em said with a glare. But then she gulped. She was going to get in trouble. She was going to get kicked out. Damn it. It hasn’t even been ten minutes.

Suddenly, a piece of cake was smashed into Em’s face. Ken had a smug grin on his pasta-covered face, “Didn’t I say don’t mess with me, shrimp?”

Em wiped away the cake on her face with her hand, a maniacal grin gracing her face. “What was that? I don’t speak the language of the big and dumb. Let’s not waste such good food…” She took a step towards him, pulling up the sleeves of her jacket. “I’ll finish you.”

“Okay, come on, let’s go outside so we don’t cause a scene. It looks to me like you need to know your place.” Ken’s face turned serious. “You know I’ve heard a lot about you, and I really don’t appreciate how you treat my little sunflower one bit. They told me you’re strong, so I guess I don’t have to go easy on you just because you’re a girl.”

“Uhhh, hey, let’s just forget this even happened… “ Yun Hee was worried.

“What? You don’t believe in the skills of your pathetic followers?” Em asked, already heading to the backyard of the house, the taller boy following after her.

“Make sure he doesn’t break her arm, will ya?” Hakyeon sighed before leaving to find Leo.

“Aish, I wish Em didn’t piss him off even more than needed.…” Yun Hee frowned as she and Hyuk followed Em and Ken to the backyard.

Em stood a few feet away from him, eyes narrowed. She didn’t like this situation… It reminded her of her first and last fight with JR - the first ever fight she had lost. She could tell this Ken guy wasn’t joking about his strength, but… there was no way she was going down without a fight.

“You go first.” Ken motioned.

She was in front of him in a heartbeat, fist outstretched right in front of his face. Yun Hee and Hyuk frowned, wondering why she stopped all of a sudden.

She grit her teeth. She had not stopped or held back her punch. He had stepped back even quicker. She aimed a kick, he dodged it just as easily. Hit after hit after hit, he was sidestepping it as if it was nothing.

“Come on, this isn’t even a fight if you can’t hit me once…” He smirked.

Em took a few steps back and scowled. Now she knew why he reminded her of JR. They were skilled, professional. They didn’t learn second-hand dirty moves in delinquent fights like her, they were trained, and trained very - too - well. Her pale imitation of an actual fighting style was nothing. She aimed another punch, but he dodged it as easily as the rest.

“My turn~!”

Before she could relinquish her fist, he took hold of her wrist and twisted her, pinning her to the ground flat on her stomach, his grip hard and tight.

“They said you were strong, what a disappointment…” He clicked his tongue before letting her go.

Pure rage boiled in her. She stood up and glared at him, her fists shaking in anger. She aimed at him again, but he dodged it again.

“Should I let you just hit me once? Will that get your pathetic excuse of a fighter running again?”

“No, just stop! It’s Christmas Eve for crying out loud!” Yun Hee protested. “You shouldn’t be fighting each other, that’s not what we’re here to do!”

Ken looked her way, his expression softening… he felt guilty now. She was right, they shouldn’t be fighting… especially on Christmas Eve. He guessed he let his anger get the best of him. Hearing she was being bullied, by her sister even, irritated him so much. He hated the strong picking on the weak the most…  Yun Hee was precious to him since she helped him so much in the past, he vowed to protect her, but when she moved away to Seoul, he was unable to...

“Got you!” Em exclaimed, aiming for his face at the moment he let his guard down.

Without batting an eyelash, her fist met his open palm. He clenched onto her hand tightly, glaring at her. “You… reason why you bully Yun Hee?” He asked.

Em glared at him trying to pull her hand away, but then scoffed. “What the are you talking about? I don’t bully her,” she said, honestly surprised at his ‘stupid’ question.

“You may think you don’t, but you do…”

She tried to free her hand again, but he just gripped on it tighter. She hid her grimace well. “What? Are you talking about my insulting and bossy attitude? That’s me. That’s how I treat everybody. You know the people I ‘bully’? We almost kill each other on a daily basis,” she said, recalling her brief bouts with Nana… and attacks on Minhyun. She glared at Ken again. “Sorry for being myself near my sister.”

Ken glanced over towards Yun Hee who just stood there looking completely worried. He let out a small laugh, he was laughing at himself. I’m scaring her again...

“Creep,” Em muttered at his out of place laugh.

“Brat.” He snickered before letting her go. “I see this was all pointless in the end.” He sighed. Why didn’t I realize it sooner… If Yun Hee was truly being bullied by her sister, she wouldn’t allow it to continue… I know her. Whether he fought Em or not, it wasn’t really protecting Yun Hee like he thought he was doing.

But Em had misunderstood his words. Pointless? Pointless? This was the second fight in her entire life that she had ever lost, and he was deeming it as meaningless? “Hey… Yun Hee…” she suddenly called out. “You’re okay… but I hate your friends,” she said.

Yun Hee let her head drop. She figured she’d say something like that in the end. But after seeing the two fighting, she was kinda glad, this only meant they’d stay away from each other.

“Can we please go back inside now?” She pleaded. She didn’t want the others looking for them back there and ask questions.

Em went down and hugged her knees. “You can go first. Let me wallow in my self-pity for a while longer,” she mumbled.

Ken went towards Yun Hee. But then he gave one last glance at Em. “... Come at me when you’ve gotten better… Anyway, let’s go sunflower~!”

Em hugged her knees closer and didn’t respond… She looked up suddenly when a plate of food was placed in front of her face. Hyuk was sitting cross-legged beside her, munching on a loaf of bread, his other hand outstretched to hold his plate of goods. “I get beat up by him a lot, too.”

She got a piece of meat gratefully. “... But you aren’t even a fighter.”

“Being a fighter didn’t save you, did it?”

“Are you trying to comfort me or not?”


Yun Hee smiled as she saw Hyuk talking with Em outside, both sharing a plate of food.

“I’m sorry, Yun Hee…” Ken apologized.

“No need to be sorry… it’s okay.” She turned to him with a warm smile. “Because of you, I think Em made a new friend!” He looked at her a bit confused, surely he thought Em had a few friends at least. “Aron is her only friend… I was really hoping she’d make at least one other friend before the year is over…. thanks, Ken.”

Seeing that happy smile on her face assured him he was completely forgiven for his behavior earlier. He had worried she’d be upset with him about it, but it looked like things turned out for the better in the end. As long as she’s happy, I’ll be okay. He thought, looking out the glass door to the two sitting in the back yard. I guess that just adds another brat to the list…


“I feel like our role as the main boy group has been taken,” Aron said aloud.

“What are you talking about?”

Their conversation was cut short though when JR opened up the entrance doors to Yun Hee’s house and saw that everyone was now mingling and partying. “... We’re late. It’s all your fault, Baekho.”

Baekho frowned at them. “You guys were the ones waiting for me to arrive at the meeting place when I was already there!”

“Oh! I was wondering if you boys would come!” Yun Hee’s mother said, approaching them with a kind smile. “I’m so glad you could make it! Merry Christmas~!” They bowed and greeted back politely. “Help yourself to the food, feel free to mingle around… have fun! Any friends of my daughters are always welcome to our parties!”

“... Only an angel can raise an angel,” Minhyun said, staring at Yun Hee’s mother in awe.

“This place is heaven, I tell you. Now where’s the food...” Aron agreed with a nod, looking over at the food table.

“Agreed, but… where’s the angel we know then?” Ren asked, looking around the groups of people.

JR smirked at his two friends. “Oh? Already looking for your girlfriends?”

Aron and Ren glared at him. “No!” they said in unison… but continued searching anyway.

“Your heights are lacking,” Minhyun said with a click of his tongue, tapping on Ren’s shoulder and pointing at his twin. He got Aron’s attention as well and pointed at the other one.

They both froze up.

Yun Hee was laughing at something some taller and more mature guy was saying. Who the hell is that now? Ren thought with a glare, quickly making his way over to them.

Em was helping herself to the plate of that Hyuk guy, and he was also freely taking some food from her own. Aron narrowed his eyes, Him again? He quickly went over to the two again.

“Um… bye…?” Baekho said with a laugh when he saw his two friends leave.

Minhyun sighed. “I love Yun Hee too, but jealousy just doesn’t suit me, huh? It ruins my lovely image.”

JR stared warily at him. “Yeah, right. You just don’t want to get hit by Ren. Your fear overrides your envy.”

“... I love my face,” Minhyun merely said. “I shall protect it this Christmas~!... Oh la la~! Pretty college girl at one o’clock,” he said, catching sight of a brunette alone by a drinks table. “Cute… but looks a bit too mature for me.” He nudged JR in the elbow. “Looks like your type though!”

JR glanced at her briefly and then back at Minhyun. “Watch and learn, girls,” he said before strutting towards the girl.

Minhyun was grinning, very amused… He had been to Yun Hee’s house before, regarding the birthday celebration. He had met that girl… as well as her boyfriend that so happened to be Yun Hee’s brother.

Baekho glanced at his friend’s crazy grin. “... I saw nothing,” he muttered before facing JR again to witness his demise.

“Hey there,” JR said smoothly, appearing beside the smaller girl.

Hana looked up at him with a small smile. “Hello there.”

“You a friend of Yun Hee’s?” he began, getting ready for the kill. She nodded. “Ah, my friends were just talking about her and her mother - both angels, wouldn’t you say?”

She nodded and laughed. “Yes, wonderful people they are.”

“Then you must be the goddess here, hm?”

Hana laughed again, not at all expecting such a corny line from someone that looked so serious.

“Beautiful laugh,” he added with a smile.

“Why thank you, casanova. My boyfriend thinks so too! Isn’t that right, Leo?” she said with a grin.

JR froze. “What-?”

“What are you doing?” a deep yet soft voice suddenly said from behind JR.

“He set me up… damn it.” JR mumbled. “If you wanna strangle someone, strangle him! The tall one, he’s the one who told me to come over here.” JR pointed over to Minhyun who suddenly looked scared as he tried to escape into the crowd of people nearby.

But Baekho took hold of the back of Minhyun’s shirt before he could. He gave a thumbs up to JR who grinned at him in thanks.

“Whose side are you on, Baekho?!” Minhyun wailed.

“On the side of the people with the least spotlight, you almost-main-character!” Baekho said with a laugh.

“What?!”

Leo went over to the two… but he also had JR in one grip.

“I’ll have you know, I’m Yun Hee’s best friend!” Minhyun stuttered. “If you hurt me, she’ll be mad at you!”

Leo hesitated for a second before grabbing him. “She doesn’t stay mad at me for long.” He simply laughed. “As long as I don’t put you in the hospital, I should be fine.”

“You’re going to send me straight to my grave instead?!”

“Psh, no, she’d miss you too much.” He shook his head. “I’m not gonna upset her like that with killing you. Just let this be a warning, don’t pull something stupid like that again, you hear me?”

Minhyun and JR nodded, faces pale in fright. “Loud and clear!”

“Good. Now straighten up, I don’t want Hana to scold me for making you pee your pants.”

They quickly stood straight and saluted. Baekho found it fun and followed suit. “We’ll keep our pants dry and unsoiled!” Minhyun said.

A small smile formed on the lion’s lips, they amused him. He reached out and hit Minhyun over the head.

“Ow! What was that for!?” What was it always him and his head that was abused?!

“That’s for being so flamboyant in my house.” Then he went to JR and did the same. “That’s for hitting on my girlfriend, unknowingly or not.” Then he did the same to Baekho. “... Sorry, that’s for uh… being friends with these losers.” Then he walked away back to his girlfriend.

There was an awkward pause… but then Baekho gave them a thumbs up. “I still like you, losers.”

They both hit him in the back of the head.


Ren slowed his pace as he neared Yun Hee and her friend. What was wrong with him? There was nothing wrong with Yun Hee hanging out with a guy. She had every right to be with her friends. Stalking her out like this and getting mad at any guy that talks to her… it was just like Em’s behavior toward him and he hated that. Wouldn’t Yun Hee hate him too if he suddenly went over and-

She laughed again.

Screw the consequences! Only he should be able to make her give off that beautiful laugh and smile! He was by her in a flash, giving her one of his most charming smiles. “Merry Christmas, Yun Hee!” he greeted, not at all sparing a glance at her companion.

“Oh! Ren! Hi, glad you could make it, Merry Christmas to you too.” She smiled.

He oh so nonchalantly slid his hand by hers before taking hold of it. “This is my first time over at your place, right? Mind giving me a tour?”

“First time?” She repeated, looking confused.

“... I only saw your room last time,” he said with another sweet smile.

“... Why did you only go into her room?” Ken asked, finally going back into the conversation. He had found the blonde amusing - getting all possessive, but that last line of his…!

“Oh yeah, that night we slept together.” Yun Hee finally remember, always not realizing how her words sounded.

“Who is he and can I kill him?” Ken threatened. Ren hid behind Yun Hee when Ken glared at him harshly.

“My friend, and NO you cannot.” She laughed. “You’re misunderstanding.”

“I think I understand pretty well what’s going on, you, me, outside.” Ken pointed to Ren.

“Ken, stop, you had enough fighting today. Leave him alone.” She looked at him serious. It seemed he still had a hard time controlling his feelings, getting easily irritated. “Go drink some water and calm down, okay?” She asked softly. Ken let out a sigh before nodding. He apologized to Ren before leaving.

“What’s with him?” Ren blurted out by accident, he had intended to keep it as a thought.

“It’s a long story but he has some issues he’s still trying to overcome, so don’t be angry with him… He was just being a little protective is all.” She turned to him with a sad smile.

“... Do I look like someone who would hurt you?” he said, facing her with a small frown.

“He’s like Leo, just looking out for his little sister. You know how brothers are?”

He sighed. “How am I supposed to get your hand in marriage then if your brothers are like that?” he said in a completely serious tone.

“What’s with you and wedding things all of a sudden? First you tell Hyuk there’s a wedding cake in the cafeteria with our names on it, now this. You must be desperate for a wife.” She laughed.

Ren grinned at her. “For you to be my wife, yes.”

She was smiling until she noticed how they were joking again… No… we can’t joke like this… Her smile faded just a little, sadly it was enough for him to notice.

“What is it?”

“Nothing.” She lied. I like you, please don’t joke like this… it’s cruel.

“Don’t lie to me,” he merely said. She fell silent. Why do I at lying so bad? She scolded herself. He lead her to a more secluded place away from the party and guests to talk to her alone. Meaning they went to her room. “If something’s bothering you, tell me.”

She bit her lip, how was she suppose to talk about it, he’s the only person she didn’t want to talk about this with, because it involved him. But soon she spoke. “I think we’re being too close to each other…”

“What?”

“The jokes, the physical contact… we’re being too close. We’re friends… not….” She trailed off.

“I don’t understand why Minhyun gets to do all of that, yet I’m getting told to knock it off?” He sounded slightly angry.

“Because you’re not Minhyun.” She looked at him. “He’s completely joking… but you… you don’t sound like you’re joking…”

“... I like…”

The look she gave him made him stop. It was like she was dreading his words.

“... I like joking around,” he said. “I’m completely joking, just like Minhyun. Is it okay now?” he said. No, it wasn’t a joke at all. But if it meant continuing their relationship, then he didn’t care.

She felt conflicted hearing that, happy it was only joking yet disappointed it was only joking….

“Fine… as long as you’re joking…” He could hear how it sounded so forced.

This girl…! He cupped her face in his hands, forcing her to meet his eyes. “What do you really want?”

“I don’t know…” She closed her eyes tight, avoiding his look. “It feels as if though no matter what I choose, it’s wrong, no one will be happy.”

“Then choose one,” he said. He didn’t quite understand her words, but he could clearly see how difficult whatever problem she was facing. “If they both end up horrible… choose the one you’ll be happy in the most.”

“I’m scared to make a decision.”

Ren smiled and leaned his forehead against hers lightly. “Follow your heart…”

Her heart suddenly began to beat faster at his close proximity. Not now, heart!

“I’m going to follow my heart…” He muttered, noticing something above them. “What’s that up there?” He pointed.

“Crap.” Yun Hee panicked. She was standing under the mistletoe with Ren.

“You do know what that means, right?” He smiled.

“Er…” She looked around to see no one in sight, they were on the second floor of her house. Since he didn’t want to be bothered by the other noisy guests they went to her room to talk, which she now realized maybe that was a mistake, just look at where it got them!

“Just get it over with.” She closed her eyes.  She waited for his lips to touch her cheek but was shocked to find them on her own lips. As much as she wanted to push him off, she felt the complete opposite and pulled him closer. Feeling her pull him closer, he wrapped his arms around her waist, suddenly this simple kiss was so much more. It was basically showing each other their mutual feelings, despite their recent talk about joking.

He let one of his hands travel up to the back of her head, her long hair. The other gripped tighter onto her waist, pulling her even more closer than she already was. He at her bottom lip and she gasped in surprise. He felt the hot breath against his lips and didn’t hesitate to put his tongue-  

“Ren?”

He blinked.

“You can let go of me now.”

He blushed, slightly disappointed everything past the simple kiss was a daydream.

“What’s with that look on your face… were you thinking something dirty?” She narrowed her eyes.

“Uh! No!” He shook his head.

“Sure, that’s what they all say.” She laughed. “Do you plan on letting me go anytime soon?”

He paused for a minute before looking up. He made both of them step out of the doorway and back under. “Not right now…” He leaned in again.

Yun Hee’s eyes widened. “Wait-”

He wiped his thumb over the side of her lips. “Sorry, smudged your lipgloss... Did you think I was going to kiss you?” He smiled innocently. “Do you want another kiss?”

“No.” She said while nodding her head yes. He laughed.

“Maybe I’ll save it for our next date?”


“Where have you been all my life?”

Em nodded in approval at the choices on Hyuk’s plate. She always had difficulty in buffets like this, there was so many choices. She wanted to try it all, but it was so hard by herself. She didn’t want to waste food either. So to have a fellow gourmet (glutton) by her side…

“I’ve been pretty busy,” he said, also grabbing something from her helpings with his own chopsticks. “Suffering from voodoo dolls, becoming a vampire and alien, and getting lost in time and trapped in nightmares.”

Em stared blankly at him. “I usually feed birds by the park.”

“Now that’s something completely impossible!” he said with a laugh.

She grinned too, but then her eyes widened when she saw some salmon sashimi in between his chopsticks. “Eh? They had salmon? Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I got the last one!” he said proudly.

Before he could act smug and eat it, Em quickly ate the food on his chopsticks, her face now only a few inches away from his own. She grinned at him in victory.

Hyuk frowned at her. “Why you-!”

She was suddenly pulled away from him though. Em quickly balanced her plate when she was forced to walk back a bit.

Aron had an arm around her waist. He had quickly pulled his friend away when he saw just how close she was to Hyuk. “Hi again!” he said, smiling at the other boy.

Hyuk laughed, amused. “Hello again too~! I see you’ve come to collect your boyfriend!”

Em’s eyes suddenly widened at that. “Eh? Wait up! We’re still not done hanging out yet, Aron!”

Aron’s eyes widened at that. “What?” he asked, pure disbelief in his tone. Em never hung out with anyone but him. It was like the law!

“He’s helping me out with the food… Don’t get me wrong, but you’re a pretty picky eater,” Em said with a frown. Balancing her plate on one hand, she used her other to remove his grip on her waist. “Give me a minute with Hyuk, will you?”

“... What?” he asked again. She knew his name. “Since when were you two so close?”

“Since I saved her from committing suicide after she lost a fight.”

“I wasn’t going to give up my life!”

“‘Let me wallow in my self pity’... right. That beef I planned on saving for last didn’t help you at all.”

“... Okay, maybe it did.”

Aron stood by, munching on some random bread that his hand first came in contact with, watching them banter, still unable to believe what was happening. He recalled the first time Em had lost to JR… she had been depressed for several hours. And yet this guy so easily got her back to normal…? Aron had never felt threatened before when it came to Em. She couldn’t make a single friend. Heck, it was him that usually forced her to mingle with others.

… So why does he feel so mad, seeing her laugh alongside a new friend? He should be proud, happy! Not… not… not jealous. He was was turning as possessive as Em now.

“I’ve tried using Yun Hee as a hostage before to get him… but I advise you don’t. He pulverized me after that,” Hyuk said, recalling the memory.

Em grimaced at that. Ken was scary enough on the defensive, what more so if he was attacking? “Demonic bastard, huh?” she said… but then she turned to her best friend that had grown silent. “You alright there?”

Aron looked up, interrupting from his musings. “Huh? Uh, yes! I’m fine!”

She glared at him. Em set her plate on a nearby table and nodded at Hyuk in dismissal. “I’ll see you later.” He nodded and waved. Em took hold of Aron’s arm and quickly dragged him towards the entrance of the backyard again, where there was noone around. “What’s the deal?” she asked.

“What are you talking about?”  he asked, smiling.

“Something’s bothering you. You think I wouldn’t notice? Spit it out. Don’t you dare act all shy on me,” she said with a frown, tapping her foot impatiently.

Aron looked at her in the eyes. “Aren’t I enough?” he asked, repeating the words she used on her birthday.

She clearly remembered that day. She groaned and hit him none too lightly on the shoulder. “Make up your mind! Do you want me to make other friends or not?!”

“I do but… it really irritated me, seeing you with him…”

“Then I won’t talk with him again. Easy, right?”

“What?!... I don’t want you to do that either... He’s your friend.”

Em glared at him. “I’m so close to punching you. Stop acting like some fickle girl and tell me what you want!”

“What I…?” Aron suddenly laughed. “What’s this? Are you spoiling me now?”

“Well, you’re worth it too,” she mumbled, repeating his words as well.

His eyes widened and he quickly looked at anywhere but at his friend. “Actually…” but then his gaze landed above them. His eyes went wide.

Em followed his gaze and saw the mistletoe above their heads. “Well, damn,” Em said, wondering who put it up. Her mom? She had a feeling the woman had a spark of a prankster in her.

“Um… we don’t have to do it,” Aron said with a shaky laugh. “It’s just some western tradition anyway.”

“What?” Em suddenly said, her irritation fading when she saw how Aron was so nervous. “You’re a westerner, aren’t you? Coward!” she teased in amusement.

He sighed at her taunting. He leaned in and gave her a kiss to the cheek. “Happy?”

Em laughed. “You call that a kiss? You’re such a girl!”

“What-?!” She pulled on the collar of his shirt to bring his face down.

She had her lips meet his in a chaste kiss.

Em took a step back suddenly, her eyes wide. “... You taste like cinnamon. I didn't know they had something cinnamon here!” she said, running off to the food table again...

… and leaving behind Aron who was blushing furiously, a hand over his mouth.

“... idiot…”


“Thanks… Hyuk.” Yun Hee didn’t sound too happy as she held up a black sunflower printed dress.

“You’re welcome.” He grinned. “I saw it and thought it was the perfect gift for Ken’s sunflower.”

“I’m not sure if I even want to give you your present now.” She pouted.

“Aw, come on, it’s just a dress!” He laughed.

“Fine… here.” She handed over a medium box. When he opened it, his face lit up so fast like a little kid, she forgot about his present that was making fun of her nickname.

“No way, you got me a Naruto box set!? I love you!” He jumped, pulling her into a tight hug.

“I’m glad you like it.” She smiled before seeing Minhyun and Ren searching around possibly looking for her. She pushed Hyuk off before they could see him clinging onto her, yes he was just about the same as Minhyun. It was just as she said before, she was used to that kind of skinship because of her friends back in Busan... “Here.” She stuck a bow to his forehead. “Don’t tell her, but you’re basically my Christmas present to Em… a new friendship.”

“Awh, that’s so cute, Yun Hee.” He teased, ruffling her hair up a bit.

“Yeah, whatever, shoo, the possessive guys are heading this way again.” she pushed him towards Ken and his other friends.

“Merry Christmas, Yun Hee!” Both Baekho and Minhyun cheered as they approached her, Ren following behind with JR and Aron

“Thanks guys, Merry Christmas to you all as well.” She smiled, pulling out a large gift bag.

She handed each of the their presents at the same time, except Aron for some reason. He just thought she was saving the best for last.

“I wasn’t really sure what to get you all so I did my best, just let me know if you need to exchange anything, I’ll understand!” She smiled nervously.

“I’m sure we’re going to love them regardless.” Minhyun beamed before ripping his open. “Oh, you did wonderful!” He looked up at her with a giant smile, she had gotten him the latest Transformers movie on blu-ray DVD. “I don’t even have this one yet, how did you know?”

“Well I was at your house last week, right? I noticed you didn’t have it so I thought to buy it for you, I was worried you were going to buy it before me but I suppose things turned out well in the end.” She sounded relieved he liked it.

“Thank you!” He hugged her tightly.

Yun Hee went on a whim and got JR a couple of comic books judging by the one time she passed him when his locker was open. He was impressed she knew he liked comics despite them not being that close with each other.

As for Baekho, she bought him one of those K.O fighting games for a PS3. “You have a PS3, right?” She asked quickly.

“Who doesn’t?” Aron laughed.

“Don’t worry, I do.” Baekho nodded, reassuring her not to worry. They all found it cute.

“My turn!” Aron held his hands out for his gift. Yun Hee handed over a rather small item… “It’s not even wrapped! What is this?” He looked at it with a confused expression. He flipped it over to see a small mirror. A broken compact mirror, the foundation part had been broken off of it.

“Since you love yourself so much.” She grinned.

Ren and the others just laughed at their friend’s reaction to her present.

Now it was Ren, she was anticipating his reaction to her present. Just like Minhyun, she noticed Ren was missing something in his Lady Gaga collection as well. I hope he likes it… She mentally crossed her fingers.  Once he tore the wrapping paper off, he stared. She wasn’t sure if he was surprised or trying to think of a way to say he already bought her ARTPOP album.

“I think he just died a little on the inside.” Aron laughed, shaking Ren out of his trance by the shoulders.  Yun Hee laughed to herself thinking about Lady Gaga’s song, Venus.

“Wow, you got him a signed one, I don’t think he has any with her signature on it.” JR looked from the album to Yun Hee. “Must have been pricey.”

“Not really.” She shook her head, lying, it was indeed quite expensive to get, but it was worth it, she knew the feeling of longing for an idol's signature. She was thrilled to obtain U-KISS’ signed MOMENTS album last year, best kpop purchase she’s made in her life, her words.

“Well, Ren, aren’t you gonna thank her?” Minhyun nudged him.

“T-Thank you!” He smiled brightly to her before looking down, brushing his fingers lightly and gently over his most beloved idol’s signature. He was quite thrilled with his Christmas present and that made Yun Hee happy.

Now it was her turn to receive her presents from them.

Minhyun had gotten her a Hello Kitty snow jacket along with some Hello Kitty gloves, scarf and ear muffs to go with it. Despite having her allowance money and her mom always buying her new things, it was never Hello Kitty, which she always wants. She never really bought herself any Hello Kitty clothing, always unsure of it. She was happy Minhyun and JR thought to buy her some clothing for her Birthday and now Christmas.

“Thank you!” She gave him a hug, showing her appreciation for the clothing. He was smiling from ear to ear. Maybe I should always buy her Hello Kitty merch. He thought to himself with the goal of receiving a hug each time he’d present her with the kitty merch.

JR, Aron and Baekho handed over their presents to her which all consisted of girl things like hair accessories to jewelry. “Wah, you guys spoil me too much, thanks!” She smiled happily, loving each of their presents. She figured they didn’t really know what to get her and got her a basic gift you’d give most girls when you ran out of ideas. She didn’t mind at all though.

Last again was Ren. He handed her the small squared gift before telling her, “Open it later.” She was a little confused but accepted the gift and agreed to open it later like he had said.

“Thanks in advance, then.” She smiled.

“Merry Christmas, again!” Minhyun cheered again, grabbing them all into a group hug.


“You almost killed me!”

Em looked away, clicking her tongue.

“Don’t look so disappointed!”

She had nonchalantly thrown a pair of white, spiked gloves into JR’s face. He had - unfortunately - dodged it. “I figured you gave me your pink set because you’re too ‘cool’ to wear pink. So I’m returning the favor. I liked your Action rather than Face gloves anyway.”

“What are you talking about?” he said, looking down at his Christmas gift. “... I didn’t get you anything,” he said in a low voice, not really expecting the gift thrown to him. None of them prepared, they hadn’t expected Em to actually remember them.

Good. I don’t want this damn cycle to continue. That’s payment for my birthday gift. Here’s yours, ninja.”

Baekho accepted the box of shuriken with a huge smile. “Thanks, Em! … But we didn’t give you a gift so that you would owe us.”

“Either way, I don’t want to be in your debt. There’s no way I’ll remember any of your birthdays, so I just did it all today.” She then turned to Minhyun and handed him a photo.

Minhyun took it with a frown, wondering what-... He looked at Em with grateful eyes. “Thank you. Thank you so much.”

In his hand was a photo of a sleeping Yun Hee, face flushed red. Em had taken her picture when Yun Hee slept over at her house when they were sick.

“This is the only thing we share in common, Suho,” she merely said in dismissal, leaving the three boys.

Em searched the crowd for her actual friend and self-proclaimed husband. But her search came to a halt when Hyuk suddenly appeared in front of her, a red bow on his forehead. He winked at her. “Merry Christmas, Em! You can have me!”

“Don’t say such disgusting things,” she said, eyes narrowed in a glare.

He smirked. “What? I’m sure you’re shivering in anticipation right now!”

“I’m getting harassed!” she yelled out… no one took notice.

Hyuk laughed and removed the bow from his forehead, sticking it onto her own. “Yun Hee said I’m her Christmas gift to you! My friendship is pretty valuable, I’ll tell you that!” he said with a laugh.

He had expected her to laugh along. Em glared at him and removed the ribbon, throwing it behind her. “So you wouldn’t have been my friend if Yun Hee hadn’t requested it?” she said with a dry laugh. First Aron was going around telling his guy friends to be nice to her… now even Yun Hee was doing the same?

Hyuk’s eyes widened and he quickly shook his head. “No! She only told me a few minutes ago, she didn’t specifically ask me to approach you…” He suddenly laughed and patted her on the head. “You’re actually real sensitive to these kinds of things, huh?”

Em slapped his hand away. At his surprised face, she quickly shook her head as well. “No, you’re right… I probably am,” she mumbled. “I don’t really care what you do, just don’t pat me on the head.”

Hyuk nodded, a bit confused at her odd request. “Weird… but okay-!”

“Em!” Aron suddenly greeted, heading over to them and patting Em hard on the head that she almost fell over.

Hyuk was about to warn him about her sensitivity to people touching the top of her hair, but stopped when he saw Em only glare at him… but made no move to remove his hand. “I was looking for you, damn it!” she said.

“... Oh,” Hyuk said, a mischievous grin on his face. “Okay then. I’ll see you two lovers some other time then!”

“Yeah!”

“See ya!”

“... You two didn’t even deny it?” he said with a chuckle.

Em laughed. “It’s a pretty funny joke, right?”

Hyuk’s eyes widened. “Who~oah! That was harsh, girl!”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“Nothing~!” he said in a singsong voice, leaving the two behind.

Em just shrugged off his behavior and faced Aron again. She noted that he was frowning for a moment, but then he immediately grinned at her again when she met his gaze. “What is it this time?” she asked with a raised brow.

“Just expecting a present!” he said, holding out a wrapped up box. “On three?”

Em grinned at the turn of events and brought out her own present. “Got it!”

“One!”

Aron grabbed onto her gift and let his own fall into her palm.

“I thought you said on the count of three?!” Em said with a glare.

“What three? You only need the number one to survive in this world!” he said excitedly, quickly opening up his gift…

… It was a large box, then a medium-sized box, then a small box, then finally an envelope.

Aron stared at his friend. “Really?”

Em grinned, already having unwrapped her gift. “So that I can see my gift first!”

“We’re racing?!”

She removed the lid of the small box and was met with a shiny ‘M’. She removed the piece of jewelry - wait, no. It was a hair tie. The tie itself was black and studded with gold colored stones in a single row. The main decoration of it, was a large, black ‘M’ with a gold border.

“... I’ll give you real jewelry once you grow up,” Aron said with a grin.

Em stared down at it, still in awe and didn’t even retort to his insult to her maturity… or did he mean height? “... It looks so pretty,” she muttered.

“Well… contrary to popular belief, you are a girl. And girls like… pretty stuff…?” he trailed off, unsure. He had hesitated on giving her something girly. He knew she’d like it… but there was always the off chance that he was wrong and she was as manly as the tough act she always put-

Em smiled brightly at him. “I love it! It’s so beautiful!” she gushed… but then her eyes went wide and she looked around. “You heard nothing!”

“Nothing wrong with admiring pretty things!”

While she removed her old ponytail to fix her hair with the new accessory, Aron had looked back to his own gift. He opened the envelope and pulled out two pieces of paper. He almost dropped it in shock. “Whoa-! Seriously?! You…! Em?!”

After fixing her hair in the usual high ponytail, she grinned smugly at his shocked reaction. “I’m amazing, aren’t I?” In his hand were two concert tickets. “Not a lot of American artists come here… and I clearly saw you fangirling over him when he announced he’d have a concert here. No idea how to say the name - Apple Cinnamon?” she said the latter in a not-so-good english accent.

“That wasn’t even close!” he said with a laugh, looking down at the concert tickets that had the name Anthony Hamilton. “For both of us…? But you don’t even like him!” he said, recalling how she didn’t like music in general - she had forced herself to learn about Lady Gaga for Ren.

“Well, you like him,” she said with a roll of eyes, as if that explained everything.

“You didn’t have to!” he said, still so happy at her gift.

“Well, I wanted to! Sheesh! I know I’m selfish, but not everything I want is always about me!”

He looked down at the tickets again, the huge grin not leaving his face. “How did you get these? By the time I found out he had a concert, it was already sold out!”

Her promo card from Ravi quickly came to mind. Each assignment she had been given had a corresponding pay - it was how she bought the gifts of everyone else - but the final prize were for him to use his ‘connections’ to get those tickets. She absentmindedly rubbed at the back of her right hand, recalling the temporary tattoo she had on it just days ago.

“... I know people,” she merely said. She avoided his gaze so he wouldn’t ask about it more, but when she turned her head, she caught sight of a certain blonde. “My gift giving isn’t over yet!” she said, running towards him.

Aron just shook his head in amusement and followed after her… but then he frowned when he caught sight of a pair of eyes in Em’s open bag. “What the…?”

“Merry Christmas, Ren~!” she greeted, running to him with open arms.

As per usual, Ren sidestepped her embrace. “Merry Christmas, Em,” he greeted back. “Make your leash longer, will you?” he said, facing Aron this time.

But the guy just had a pale face and didn’t respond.

Ren rose an eyebrow at his odd behavior, but then faced Em again. She was grinning widely at him, hands in her bag. “I have a gift for you! It’s fine if you don’t have one for me-!”

“I do, actually,” he said with a small smile. He was sure she’d get him a gift, it would only be proper to give one back in kind. Annoying as she may be, she never did forget about him no matter the occasion… and even if he wanted her to forget him. “You go first, though.”

Her face had shock clearly evident on it when he said he had a gift, but then it changed to that of excitement at his words. “Okay then!” she removed her hands from her bag and showed him her gift.

It was a Chucky doll.

Ren let out a shriek and stepped back, almost falling over. They received a few glances at his scream. “What the hell, Em? Are you trying to give me a heart attack?!” he exclaimed.

Em lowered the doll and frowned. “... Well, I remember you said that you watched loads of horror movies as a kid, I did too... This guy here was practically the highlight of our horror movie youth back then. So, I thought... You don’t like it?”

Ren straightened up and looked down at the creepy doll. “... I didn’t say that, did I?” he muttered, taking hold of the doll and handing her his own gift. She accepted it gratefully and began opening it.

The doll stared up at him… Ren glanced at Aron. “... Crazy woman.”

Aron shrugged innocently. “I got a nice gift, so I can’t agree with you here!” He was smiling, not in Ren at amusement (though partly) but mostly at the fact that he realized the only gift Em had bothered wrapping, was his own.

Em had set aside the wrapper paper. He had given her a small first aid kit. The bandages were pink, the band aids had bunny faces on them, and even the ointment mentioned something about a fruity scent.

“None of us can seem to keep you from your fights… So at least take care of yourself,” he merely said.

Em hugged it to her chest and smiled at him. “I love you~!”

Ren chuckled and nodded… a bit saddened at the fact that he couldn’t hear the same honest words from her sister. “You say that enough.”

Aron’ll admit that Ren’s gift was good… But it wasn’t like he was competing with the guy! … Since if it was about Em, he was bound to lose anyway.

Aron poked at her bag that still had something bulging from it. “You still have another gift? For who?”

Em quickly looked around again. “It’s for… There! Yun-!” she was about to call her out but then froze. She looked around again, and seeing an ally, quickly went to him.

Hyuk looked up at her in confusion when she approached him. “Miss me already?”


“Merry Christmas again, sunflower!” Ken greeted with a grin.

Yun Hee pouted at him. “How many times-?!”

Without even looking away from Yun Hee, Ken nonchalantly took hold of Hyuk’s thrown fist at him and pushed him towards Em who was about to tackle him. They fell as a defeated heap on the side.

“Thanks for inviting me!” Ken said, as if nothing had happened.

Yun Hee glanced down at her two friends in worry. “Are you two alright?”

Hyuk laid down on his back. “Yes... I think we need ten more people, huh?”

Em sat up and glared at him. “Don’t overestimate him!... Maybe just nine.” She stood up then and headed to Yun Hee, “Hey, sis. Stop talking to the creep and pay attention to me first, okay?”

Ken narrowed his eyes at her, but Yun Hee quickly spoke up before more trouble could happen. “What is it, Em?” she said, shifting her position slightly so that she was inbetween the two.

Em took the last gift from her bag and held it in front of her sister. “I received your lame- gift,” she gestured her head towards Hyuk who only gave a thumbs up in reply. “So, I should give my pathetic gift as well.”

Yun Hee took hold of the small Santa Claus teddy bear. It had brown fur, a red longsleeves and red hat. It was a very simple design, the one you see in multiple stores during the season. What was… different though, was that it didn’t look new. In fact, it even smelled of laundry detergent.

“Cheapskate,” Ken noted. Em ignored him.

“So… like… I always badmouth my dad, but I also do that with you and Aron… but you two aren’t that bad… So the same applies to him, my… our dad isn’t that bad either. When I was five, I think, he got me two of those for Christmas. He never got me more than one toy at a time, so…”

Em smiled down at the stuffed toy in her sister’s hands. “... I think the second one was for you. It took me forever to find it in our messed up house, but…” She turned her gaze back to Yun Hee. “Merry Christmas… from us both, I guess.”

Everyone looked to Yun Hee who had become silent. She stared down at the stuffed bear before water started to form into tears in her eyes. “Aish, you made her cry!” Ken scolded Em.

“I didn’t do it on purpose!” Em backed up a step. “Hey, you!” She asked towards her sister. “Why are you crying?! S-Stop!”

“You know there’s crying and there’s tears of happiness…” Someone spoke up behind them. It was their brother Leo.

He looked to his tearful sister, resting a hand on her shoulder showing comfort. He remembered the talk his mom had with Yun Hee the other day. It was regarding her real father, she had come to him in the kitchen when he was preparing himself a snack asking if he could be there when their mom told the story of how the situation came to be. She had told him countless times before that she was scared to learn the truth, and he kept telling her there was nothing to be afraid of. Even so, she kept insisting she didn’t want to know, not sure if her heart could bare the fact something terrible happened that caused the twins separation.

After learning the truth, she was angry at her mother for letting their father take Em away like that. “That was my sister! Our sister! How could you let him steal her away like that!”  but then she learned how their father got his act together to take care of Em, if he hadn’t taken her sister like he did, he would have surely ended up on the streets or even worse...die. That made her think again about the guy, yet that small factor remained… it seemed he didn’t want anything to do with Yun Hee when she met him.

Coming back to the present, she just became overwhelmed hearing how he bought two of the same stuffed bears, obviously intending the second one to be for his other twin daughter. So he thought of me back then? It was a bittersweet moment… Just how long was it until he stopped thinking of me? She felt compelled to ask if she could see their dad just one more time, perhaps tonight, but she hesitated…  Another time…

“Thanks.” Yun Hee finally managed to say, giving a weak smile. “It’s cute.”


Once everyone had gone home and everything was cleaned up, Yun Hee went straight to her room, excited to open up Ren’s present he left her. She was quite curious on what it could be.

Gently unwrapping it, not wanting to tear it up like everyone else did since, she was the less aggressive type towards opening her presents. Peeling the wrapping paper open, she could already tell what it was and began to get excited. U-KISS! Was all she could think as she pulled it out of the remaining wrapping paper.

It was her favorite kpop idol group’s Japanese single ‘Fall in Love/Shape of your Heart’. She had been thinking of ordering it back when it came out, but things came up and she forgot about it. Truthfully she really wanted it for the instrumentals, the songs were so pretty. Now she had it thanks to Ren. I should really thank him when school starts again! She thought to herself while jumping up to put the CD in her stereo to listen to, she brought along the Christmas card that was included.

Instead of reading the card first, she opened the CD to put in when a piece of paper fell out of it. “Whoops!” She quickly put the CD in to let it start before picking up the small paper. It was a note… from Ren.

I want you to listen to the songs… listen carefully…

~ Ren

Then she heard her bais Kevin’s voice start to sing…

When I fall in love, I lose everything to your love,

drown in it, and I love once again.

She had never took the time to listen to the lyrics, but now she was… because she was told to, by Ren. She was lucky her mother had her learn Japanese along with her a few years ago given her mom went to Japan a couple of times for photography business.

Like a spell that can’t be broken, without you every day I am ill

My mind is imprisoned in devilishness, wish it is a dream but it is real

Wait for you forever never ever give up

I’ve fallen in a dream that doesn’t fade, wanting to, I want to love you

That lyric told her something..

When I fall in love, without even turning around

I’m swayed by a different love, right now you’re so lovely

...

“What do you really want?” She recalled Ren’s words from earlier before the kiss under the mistletoe. Then that lyric in the song, “I want to love you…”

The next song began..

Show me the shape of your heart see, the snow has begun to melt at our fingertips

The one that warms my heart is you

Romance will gently call for love, so there’s nothing to fear

I can feel it, feel it loving always I will only love you

Every time I touch your honest skin, my hesitations disappear

That’s a sign that this romance is special

Because I love you, I’ll be close by you; I want to be loved, I’m right here

...

“Does… Ren love me?” She spoke out loud, staring at the little note in her hand.

Do I love him, too?

“It’s just a song…” She hit stop on her stereo. “It’s… just a song.”  if it was just a song, why did it feel like her heart was about to explode from all the feelings she was experiencing….?

There was silence filling her room as she stood there…

“I want to love you…. but I can’t…” a tear fell from her eyes.

▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇

* ✄  END CHAPTER T H I R T E E N