Chapter 4

증상 (Symptoms)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

January 6th 1950.

10:30 a.m.

"If you believe that this will work.. you are the boss of this creaky sanctuary, you make the choices."

"And if it fails?"

"Then you tried your best old sport!" Kris rolled his eyes at Chanyeol's joke. "I don't want those words. I want a slap of reality and new ideas."

"6 days into the new year and nothing's hit you yet?"

Kris shook his head, pursing his lips. "Nothing." He spoke as he and Chanyeol walked through the large walkway of the asylum.

"These rugs need updating." He mumbled, along with other things as he glanced from the floor to the walls of the establishment. "The doors are begining to rust as well..." He trailed, continuing to talk to himself as he looked at the white doors that held big bold numbers on each of them.

"The second floor is in more need of updating." Chanyeol commented, earning a slight look of worry from Kris.

"Damnit. Who to call?" Kris wondered, biting his lip.

"You know." Chanyeol chimed. "I know someone who designs places up."

"Places like?" Kris asked curiously.

"Like.... anything. I even witnessed her design a hospital."

Kris stopped in his tracks, turning his whole body toward his dongsaeng. "Do you think..." He trailed, earning a nod from Chanyeol. "I think she could. I mean it wouldn't be impossible." He replied.

"Great! I want her on the phone right away!"

"Uh, Kris." Chanyeol chimed, biting his lip a little. Kris turned to him again, smile still spread on his face. "I must forewarn you." He spoke.

Kris had now furrowed his eyebrows. "About what?"

"Her Partner..."

"Yes?"

"He's a bit.. Argh how did I put in to words.. he's a bit.. expressive."

Kris had kept his furrow, shaking his head in the slightest bit. "What are you saying to me Chanyeol?"

Chanyeol grunted a little at his lack of discription. "You know I am not a disrespectful person."

"Okay."

Chanyeol tapped his chin, sighing as he could not find a nicer word to say about the person he was talking about. "He's mean."

Kris looked from side to side with only his eyes as his hands were clasped together. "If my institution is being re-decorated... So what?"

"You don'tt mind disrespect?" Chanyeol asked almost in disbelief. 

Kris rolled his eyes. "Chanyeol, you are talking to a man who has had to deal with disrespect from Kim Kibum every single day of his life since his childhood years... I'm sure I can manage."

"He's vile though." Chanyeol spoke.

"Please dongsaeng, we have no time to reminisce about someone's personality. I could always spit back the venom the stranger decides to spit first."

"Let's hope a fight doesn't break out." Chanyeol scoffs.

 Ms. Kang. A very subtle woman who was quiet and never bothered a soul. She was deaf. I had never dealt with a person here of this sort or in general, but working here I had to come to learn sign language along the way. In my personal opinion, I wasn't very good and I was still a learning person to it, but she seemed to get my points as I spoke to her.

I smiled to her politely as I entered her room. The atmosphere had been quite dark, but so was the room visually.

"I believe this is for you." I smiled warmly as I signed to her and  placed a cup of tea on the small table in front of her bed.

She signed what I remembered was a 'thank you' and kept her focus on me.

"Are you... attending the dancing therapy?" I signed in more of a charading way than anything else.

She nodded her head, smiling a little as she leaned up from her bed.

I gazed upon her physical features, thinking to myself..

She never seemed 'out of mind' or 'mentally insane'. From what I've seen in my years of working here, she had to be one of the most normal patients that had been held here.

Others that had been just as quiet as her always had a 'but' to them.

'He's quiet but! he cries hysterically when it's time for him to sleep'

'She's quiet but! she bangs her head repeatedly against the walls when it's time for sound therapy'

But Ms. Kang... nothing.

From what Yifan had brought to my attention, she was a deteriorated woman, and in his words 'she's only going to get worse'. She was also assigned a bonnet for the non-violent female patients here, which I found made little sense, but that was just me.

She showed no signs of  deterioration though.

I guess I'll never know.

"I'll come back when it's time." I spoke in, again, a charading way.

She nodded again and smiled a little, waving goodbye to me.

I turned myself around, aiming my attention now to the door.

"Oh! I almost forgot." I stopped myself, turning around as I kept twiddling with the two pills I was supposed to give to Ms. Kang.

She lifted her head up to me, her thin bonnet strings swinging swiftly as she did so. 

I found myself staring at her for a moment again, continuing to fiddle with the pills that sa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter