[19]

The Checklist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mrs. Hwang entered their house and found Taeyong and Sehun playing videogames. She walked towards the bureau and took out some boxes.

"Taeyong, where's your sister?" she asked.

"I don't know. She left like an hour ago." Taeyong said.

"Did she eat lunch?" she asked.

"Probably?" he answered.

"Taeyongie, you know your sister's still recovering. How can you not make sure she ate before leaving?" his mother raised her eyebrow.

"Mom, she left with Luhan hyung. He'll take care of her for sure." he said. "Wait, I remember now. She went to the clubhouse to swim because she was complaining about the heat."

"Oh alright. Since she's not here. You help me then with this stuff. You too, Sehun." she handed them the boxes.

Taeyong grunted when Sehun immediately stopped playing and followed her. His mother told them to gather some childhood photos of Yonghwa that they could use for the wedding. She gave them a list of descriptions that they were looking for (photos with a cake, wearing a suit and riding a bike among others) so that they could match them with Seohyun's childhood photos.

As the three of them went through the photos, Sehun noticed a photo of him and Bora along with the Hwang siblings. "Whoa! This was so long ago." he said.

"Omo, you're right. So cute!" Mrs. Hwang exclaimed. "I remember taking this photo as if it was yesterday. I bought matching dresses for the girls and I wanted to have them sit on Miyoung's princess bench while you boys stand behind. Miyoung was throwing a tantrum that time because she wanted to sit beside Sehunnie. That's why you all ended up crammed on that small couch."

"Really?" Taeyong asked as he and Sehun looked at each other.

"Yeah. When you were in pre school, Miyoungie kept on insisting she'll marry Sehun when they get older. I don't think she remembers now." Mrs. Hwang said. "Sehunnie, do you remember when you were young, you always gave Miyoungie any gift you can find anywhere? Though most of the time, you just pick flowers our garden. I'd ask you to stop because my garden was always sacrifiiced but you babies were so adorable." she asked.

"Did I?" Sehun asked.

Mrs. Hwang laughed. "I guess you don't remember as well but wait I have something..."

She stood up and walked back to the bureau to get one more box. "You and Miyoung were so cute back then so I kept a separate box for you two."

Sehun's eyes widened as Mrs. Hwang opened the box. It contained a lot of his and Miyoung's photo when they were young. He looked at them one by one and smiled.

"Wow. Who knew?!" Taeyong laughed in disbelief.

"Who knew, what?" Mrs. Hwang asked.

"Nothing. Mom, why do you have a lot of photos of them together?" Taeyong asked.

"I kept that because Sehun was your sister's first love so I made sure I took a lot of photos and videos. I mean, sorry Sehun if this might be awkward for you to hear. But I thought that if one day they did end up together, at least I was able to document their love story. I guess that's not the case. But it still works as a collection of best friends photos, right? I think I should start collecting her and Luhan's photos now." Mrs. Hwang smiled.

"I guess so..." Sehun let out a bitter smile. "Eomonim, can I have this?" he raised a photo of him and Miyoung sitting together on the floor, holding hands while wearing their matching hanbok.

"Mom, if I may ask... how did noona stop liking him then?" Taeyong asked.

"Oh. I think that's when she started elementary school and you kiddos were left at the preschool." Mrs. Hwang held Sehun's hand. "You two were so upset that you won't go to the same school anymore. Since you only had like 19-20 months difference in age, your mom and I even thought of enrolling you in first grade too but of course we didn't do it. Eventually you both just outgrew that phase. Take more photos if you want. I still have the film negatives anyways." she said as she stood up.

Mrs. Hwang left the two for a while to get some snacks for them. Taeyong continued to look for Yonghwa's childhood photos based on the list while Sehun was still going through his and Miyoung's photos.

Taeyong: Are you sure you'll be okay looking at them?

Sehun: Yes.

Taeyong: Who knew you we're her first love all along...

Sehun: Yeah... Hyo noona said it was a guy named Myungsoo.

Taeyong: I guess that's the first love that noona remembers that's why Hyo noona also thinks that too. If mom knew you and noona dated, she probably would've been so thrilled. She'll be like a paparazzi taking photos every single date.

Sehun: Yah... you don't have to rub it in.

Taeyong: Sorry... it's just so funny. Not funny as in laughable funny but ironic funny.

Mrs. Hwang: What did you say?

Taeyong: *surprised* What?

Mrs. Hwang: You said something about Sehun and Miyoung dating.

Taeyong: Oh. *looks at Sehun*

Sehun: It's true eomonim.

Mrs. Hwang: WHEN?!?

Sehun: We dated for three months more or less last spring. I'm sorry you have to find out this way, eomonim.

Mrs. Hwang: Why did you break up?!

Sehun: I guess we were just not meant to be.

Mrs. Hwang: I wish I knew back then. Such a shame that you broke up.

Taeyong: Mom, why do you look sad?

Mrs. Hwang: Not sad exactly but you know the feeling of waiting for something to happen for so long and then you missed it? That kind of feeling...

Sehun: I'm sorry eomonim.

Mrs. Hwang: It's fine. I'll get over it.

Taeyong: What's that you're holding behind you?

Mrs. Hwang: Oh, I just wanted to show you a video of Miyoung and Sehun from when we attended the wedding of the couple who lived in the house across the street. They lived there right before the Kims' moved in. But I don't think it's a good idea now that I know...

Sehun: No, it's okay eomonim. You can still show us.

Mrs. Hwang: Are you sure?

Sehun nodded so Mrs. Hwang took the cd adapter and used it for the mini disc so they can watch it using the DVD player.

 

Miyoung and Luhan entered the house when they found her mom, brother and Sehun watching something on the television. They were about to go straight to her room when she heard her name being called in the video.

 

"Miyoungie... Miyoungie... hold your brother's hand. Come on, we need to go to our seats now." Mrs. Hwang said.

"No mommy. Sehun and I are getting married first. I'll hold Taeyong's hand after." Miyoung said and ran towards Sehun.

Miyoung and Sehun walked hand-in-hand as they approached the camera but when the music was played, they suddenly stopped walking. "Mommy, is it time? Can we get married now?" she asked and then they both ran to the front.

"No baby!" Mrs. Hwang immediately handed the camera to her husband so she could stop the two in walking the aisle because the wedding was about to start.

Mr. Hwang who was holding Taeyong, used his other hand to take a video of the two mothers, chasing their children while earning laughters from the other guests. The two eventually caught their kids and carried them back to their seats. "Do you want to die?!" Mrs. Hwang mouthed when she saw her husband filming them so he immediately stopped recording.

The next scene was during the wedding reception. Yonghwa was holding Miyoung's hand as they waited for Mrs. Hwang to get them some food.

Mr. Hwang placed Taeyong beside Miyoung so he could take a video of the three while waiting when Sehun suddenly appeared and called Miyoung to play. She immediately slid down her chair and ran away with him to the back of the hall.

"Yonghwa, stay here okay? Wait for your mom. I'll just get your sibling." Mr. Hwang said as he picked up Taeyong and followed the two. "Kids don't run! Careful!" he said, still with the camera on.

He found them at the back playing with the flower arrangement. Sehun was stacking flowers and then gave them to Miyoung. She smiled and crushed the flowers as she crammed them in the pocket of her dress.

"Miyoungie, Sehunnie, let's go back so you can eat. Your mothers are probably looking for you two. Miyoungie... they have pancakes for dessert. They're just like waffles. They're your favorite, right? Come on now. Stand up both of you."

"Waffles?" Miyoung revealed her eyesmile. She stood up and impatiently stuck her hand out for Sehun to hold. "Let's go, Sehunnie! Let's eat some waffles!"

The next scene was Mrs. Oh instructing Miyoung and Bora to pose for some photos at the stage. Mr. Hwang was taking a video with everyone on the shot but then he saw Sehun about to go up the stage, carrying a strawberry in his hand. He focused the camera on him as he approached Miyoung and fed the fruit to her. As she chewed the fruit in , Sehun suddenly kissed her cheek and then they both laughed out loud.

"Sehunnie, what are you doing? They're still taking a photo of your sister and Miyoung. Go down first, come on." Mr. Oh said as he escorted Sehun down.

"Dear, Yonghwa needs to go to the toilet." Mrs. Hwang said right before the camera was turned off.

The next scene was Miyoung and Taeyong sleeping at the couch of the hotel lobby while waiting for the valet to fetch their car.

"Finally the twins are asleep. Yonghwa was very well-behaved today. Now he's reading a newspaper he doesn't understand." Mrs. Hwang giggled as she narrated.

Mrs. Oh held Bora and Sehun's hands as they were about to leave. Her husband took the keys from the valet while Mrs. Hwang was waving goodbye to them.

"But eomma... Myong is sleeping. I can't say goodbye yet." Sehun frowned and planted his feet on the marbled floor.

"It's okay, you'll still see her tomorrow at school. Let's go. Your appa is waiting." said Mrs. Oh as she gently tugged him.

"Can I go now?" Bora asked as she ran outside to meet her father and rode the car.

"Let's go baby, your dad and noona are waiting." said Mrs. Oh.

"Noooo!" Sehun sat on the floor and was about to cry.

"Don't cry Sehunnie... you'll wake them up." Mrs. Oh shushed him.

"Sehunnie, just kiss Miyoungie goodbye. You can go to school together tomorrow." said Mrs. Hwang.

"Okay... where?" he immediately stopped crying and stood up.

"Just here but be gentle so you won't wake her up." Mrs. Oh said as she pointed Miyoung's forehead.

"Bye Myong." Sehun whispered and kissed her forehead.

 

Sehun smiled as he watched his younger self on the screen.

Mrs. Hwang grabbed her glass to drink water when she noticed Miyoung and Luhan standing behind them, watching the video as well.

"Miyoungie? How long have you two been standing there?" she asked.

"Mom... what is that video?" Miyoung frowned.

"We're just looking through old photos, noona for hyung and Seohyun noona's party and then we saw these..." Taeyong said as he pointed at the boxes on the table.

"Okay... I don't thint that would help though..." she said as she walked to her room. Luhan greeted them with a silent nod and followed Miyoung.

 

"Oh no... was your sister upset? Go check up on her." Mrs. Hwang told Taeyong.

Taeyong walked upstairs and then got back immediately. "She closed her bedroom door. I tried to listen through it but there was no sound."

"Sorry eomonim." Sehun said.

"No it's not your fault. I brought the video out." she said as she pat his shoulder. "We should keep the photos now. Have you picked the photos that you like?"

Sehun nodded and placed the rest of the photos back in the box. Mrs. Hwang then took the box and placed it back in the bureau.

 

 

Miyoung and Luhan sat quietly on her bed. The two of them didn't say a word. She just reached out for his hand and gently squeezed it. He slowly locked their fingers and gave her a smile.

Luhan: Are you okay?

Miyoung: I'm okay. I'm more worried about you.

Luhan: I'm okay if you're okay.

Miyoung: About what we've seen earlier... that's nothing. I didn't even know about all that.

Luhan: It's okay. You don't have to explain yourself. Clearly, you were both very young during that time. Maybe they just got curious that's why they played the video.

Miyoung: Okay. As long as you're fine. Because if you're uncomforable, I'll talk to them.

Luhan: It's okay. You and Sehun knew each other for a long time. I understand that there would be some occassions when those moments would be brought up.

Miyoung: I don't know how you can be that understanding but thank you... So, let's go back to our previous topic before we got here. Where are we going to on our next date? Since I'm better now, we can go to the amusement park near here. It's just a one-hour bus ride away. *smiles excitedly*

Luhan: Maybe next time.

Miyoung: Hiking?

Luhan: Hah. You don't like hiking. You hated the long walk from my apartment to the field, how much more with hiking...

Miyoung: Then what would we do?

Luhan: I think we should just watch a movie or something.

Miyoung: Movie? That's it?

Luhan: Movie and dinner.

Miyoung: *sarcastically answers* That's sooo nice...

Luhan: Okay... movie, dinner and arcade?

Miyoung smiled and leaned in to kiss him on the lips. Her kiss gradually increased in intensity as her lips travel down to his neck. "Hanhan, I want you." she whispered in his ear.

Suddenly, she felt Luhan lightly pushed her shoulder away to stop her. "We can't Miyoung. We just went swimming and the walk to and from the clubhouse... you'll get exhausted." he said.

 

Miyoung: I knew it!

Luhan: What?

Miyoung: I was testing you! You're thinking I'm still sick.

Luhan: But you were sick and now you need to rest.

Miyoung: The doctor said I should rest for two weeks. Two weeks has passed. You promised we'll go back to the waterpark today and yet we only went to the clubhouse. *pouts*

Luhan: *laughs* Come here... *pulls her close*

Miyoung: *annoyed* What?

Luhan: My Myongmyong is so perfect. So kind, so cute, the perfect kisser, cooks the best galbi jjim, can play the flute, can swim... what can't you do?

Miyoung: *rolls her eyes* Are you done patronizing me?

Luhan: Myong, I promise we'll still do all the things you want. Just not now. To be honest I'm still scared. Every time I think about you fainting that time, I don't know...

Miyoung: *holds his face* I told you to stop blaming yourself. Hanhan, I'm fine now... you have to move on from that. I love you.

Luhan: *smiles* It's the second time you told me you love me.

Miyoung: I know... and that's the last one for now. The next one will probably be after you've finally brought me to a date that I deserve.

Luhan: *laughs and then kisses the top of her head* You should rest. You mentioned earlier that you were sleepy. I'll just open the door. Your mom might get mad.

Miyoung: No... keep it closed. *laughs and pulls him to the bed* Stay here while I sleep.

 

 

“That’s him.” pointed Hyoyeon at the man inside the bookstore. Bora insisted that they should just wait for him until he gets out. 

Hyoyeon tugged her friend’s shirt lightly when she noticed that he was about to go out.

Hyoyeon: Jongin-ssi?

Jongin: Yes? Oh you…

Hyoyeon: Do you remember us?

Jongin nodded. They invited him to go to a nearby cafe to talk about their concern.

 

Jongin: What brings you here? Miyoung… is she alright?

Bora: I hope you’re happy, she can't move on because of you.

Jongin: Does it look like I’m happy? I never really stopped loving her..

Hyoyeon: Love her? Is that how you treat somebody you love? By cheating?

Jongin: No I didn’t… It’s not like what you think…

Bora: Hey, don’t lie to us. We caught you at the mall with your girlfriend. It was your anniversary, right?

Jongin: *pauses for a while* Then you told Miyoung? You should’ve talked to me first.

Bora: *scoffs* Why the heck should we do that?

Jongin: You don’t understand. That girl, yes she was my girlfriend but… I tried to break up with her so many times, she always threatened me that she’s going to harm herself. I didn’t know what to do… I didn’t want Myong to find out because I wanted her to stay out of it for her own good. I was trying to protect her, I mean… that woman would hurt her.

Hyoyeon: No matter what your concerns are, you still cheated on our friend. So where’s that woman now?

Jongin: When Miyoung broke up with me, that was the last straw. That was also the last time I saw that woman. I gathered my strength and told her parents despite the consequences so I had to switch universities again and I had to retake most of my classes. I have no news about her anymore. I blocked her and stopped updating my social media profiles. I tried to contact Miyoung again but she blocked me. Can you help me talk to her?

Hyoyeon: Why would we help you?

Jongin: I just want to explain to her everything. You said she can't move on from me, right? So what’s the harm in trying? If she’ll not take me back, I’ll accept. At least, she’ll know the whole truth and maybe she’ll have so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter