~Chapter 1

Unfortunate Mishap

Shaina’s POV

So, as usual, life is hated. I hate it the most when I have nothing but the silence and darkness around me; the only light being my laptop sitting on my lap while I listen to music sitting in my bed. My two favorite things in the world split amongst my screen. Microsoft word pulled up on one side and Pandora online radio on the other side. I love Pandora because it allows me to sit alone but not completely in silence. It gives me a sense of comfort, my music. Microsoft word helps me write my feelings out, allowing them to flow hidden into the books that I write in my spare time; which is all the time. I usually just sit alone in my room and listen to music while writing the many book with all my hidden feelings warped inside them. I have very few friends outside of school; one in particular has been my friend for so long that in my family, she is known as sister number two. We have been friends for around nine or ten years. I’m seventeen and I will turn eighteen next year; she is seventeen but will be turning eighteen very shortly. My birthday was last month but now it’s time for school, and I hate it so much.

We are both seniors in high school and go to a school that forces you to take classes that either have nothing to do with your program, or classes that you don’t need ever. For example, I am in an art class. I want to be an artist when I grow up, but they are making me take stuff like Chemistry and Algebra and stupid stuff like that. I could see where the math could come in a little bit due to measurements and sizes, etc. Although, I have no idea where the science comes in at for my lab, I need nothing that science can teach me for my future job or career. Not only that, but I have a very limited tolerance for people in general, and some people like to see if they can push that tolerance off a cliff so that it can splat at the bottom and disappear. I absolutely cannot stand half of the people that I go to school with. We start school tomorrow and I have to wake up at five-thirty in the morning so I can get a shower and make breakfast. I am afraid to face my lab professor because my cats puked all over my homework and ruined it all. I wonder if anybody has ever tried to use that as an excuse; I mean, it’s a legit excuse so she probably won’t take it and be a douche.

I usually stay up all night and listen to music while writing but I’m supposed to go to bed tonight since school is tomorrow. To be honest, I don’t care for school anyhow; it’s not going to get me anywhere in life where I plan on going. I plan on moving to Korea as soon as I save enough money up and living there. I love everything about Korea; the culture, the language, the music, the food, It’s all so wonderful to me. I enjoy reading and writing fanfics about some of the celebrities from Korea. That’s usually what I am always doing when I sit in my room. I stay in my room usually from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. The only times I go downstairs is to get food and potty. Other than that, I sit in my bed, listen to music, and stare at my ceiling; though I do write in my stories every once and awhile. Lately, it has been more than ever to keep my mind off things. My dad has been getting pretty grouchy lately because the job he has isn’t a steady job and we are struggling with payments on our bills. He drinks a lot more now, and I know he doesn’t try to be but he is really mean and angry a lot as well, due to the lack of sleep, drinking and anger.

I forgive my father for it though, he tries with everything he has to give us the childhood that he wants us to have; a good one. Though, I want to go to an event next year called K-con. You can go there and meet K-pop stars as well as meet new people and enjoy the day. I asked my dad if I could go and talked to them about it. At first they said no, so started crying and said that I had never wanted anything more in my life than to go to K-con. My dad sighed and said that I could as long as I was the one who paid for it and did everything for it. The only problem is that K-con is all the way in Los Angeles, California. I live in Ohio. I factored up the total cost for two people; my best friend and I, then factored out the individual costs. So basically, I have to get around 2,000 dollars by July of next year; starting with nothing. I washed my brother’s car and got twenty dollars for it, so I have twenty dollars towards our trip.

Another thing about the trip is that I might be going alone. My best friend’s parents aren’t too happy that the event is all the way across the country in California. My parents were actually pretty okay with it, the reason they said no the first time is because they thought I wanted to go recently which would mean they would have to pay for it and we don’t have the money to do that. I am trying to get a job down at the local dollar store but I don’t know how well it’ll work out due to me not being eighteen yet. I thought about a fast food restaurant but I don’t have my license or a car yet therefore, I’d have no way of getting back and forth. I can just walk to the dollar store every day. I went to bed after thinking about so much stupid stuff and the future of what was to come ahead. Hopefully everything in the future would bring me luck and happiness but so far, where it’s going. I’m not really all that happy at all.

I woke up early that morning, before my alarm ever went off on my phone and stared at my ceiling until my dad came up and told me it was time to get up. I headed off to school and went to my lab to get my lunch schedule. I had lunch B which isn’t too bad. Half of my friends got lunch B as well so I won’t be alone. Then I found out after that day that everybody I know has gotten messed up schedule so I will probably be alone again in my lunch unless my schedule changes. Once their schedules change then I will have nobody I know in my lunch that likes me enough to sit with me at my table. I will literally be that weird kid that sits by them self in a corner. My table is in the corner closest to the ramp that leads into the lunch room. So far, nobody is interesting in my classes except for a boy named Victor. I haven’t heard that name much, its unique and usually for nerds. Although this kid seems like a trouble maker jock. I don’t know if I will get along with him of not. So far, they aren’t bad but the girl that sits beside me at our table is one of those prissy people.

I have very few friends at school in my classes so far. Although, I hope everything will be better tomorrow. Once I got home, I went to my room and did my usual routine of sitting in my bed, listening to music and writing in my books. I fell asleep that night with my computer still running on my lap and music still playing. I woke up around four in the morning and the song ‘One Shot’ by B.A.P. was playing quietly. I shook myself awake and sat up, listening, and humming along to the familiar tune. My dad opened my door and saw that I was awake so he closed the door and left. I put my laptop aside and saw it was fully charged so I unplugged it. Getting out of bed, I clicked on my table lamp and got clothes. I turned my computer off as soon as One Shot ended and headed down stairs for a shower. Once I was out of the shower, my mother had a plate of breakfast sitting on the table waiting for me; even though I have told her a thousand times that I don’t eat breakfast, I sat down and ate it. I headed to school like a normal day. When I got to school I was called to the office by my guidance counselor. So, assuming I was in trouble, I angrily walked to her office and swung the door open before taking a seat.
“I didn’t do anything yet, its only the second day of school!” I yelled, plopping down.
“That’s not why I want to talk to you… I need your help…” She replied, slightly irritated.

I sat up and relaxed a little bit, though tensed when she said that she needed my help with something.
“So, what do you want from me? If you want me to be a snitch, I’m not doing it.” I said looking at her hatefully.
“Look, I just need you to be a student ambassador for the rest of the year…” She said, folding her fingers on the desk in front of her.
“What? For the rest of the year? Why, can’t you find someone else to do it?” I whined, leaning forward.
“No. You are the only one I know who knows Korean well enough. Whether you like it or not, you are doing it. You will be the translator.” She said pointing her boney little finger at me angrily.
“Still not fair, If they come into our country then they should learn our language…” I said irritated.
“Shaina!” She replied, before slamming her hands on her desk and standing to her feet.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned around to see a large man looking down at me somewhat sadly.
“I’m sorry you feel that way. It wasn’t my choice to come here either…” He said in Korean, removing his hand as I stood to look at him.
“Yah! Who do you think you are, don’t touch me…” I replied, pointing a finger at him.
He put his hands up as if he was at a stick up and took a step back.
“I apologize. This is Shaina. She is better one you get to know her; if she lets you get to know her. Don’t be alarmed by her…” My guidance counselor bowed to them smiling embarrassed.
“You should be alarmed by me, I will kill you in three seconds if you touch me again…” I said in Korean, smiling evilly.

The six boys stared at me with horror in their eyes and stepped away from me while I stood happily smiling evilly.
“What did you just say them…” She asked, worriedly.
“Nothing… just a little warning if they ever touch me again…” I smiled as I lunged towards one of them causing him to hide behind the taller one.
“Please, be nice to them. You will be stuck with them for the rest of the year, like it or not. If their manager says they will be back for another year, so will you. Sorry, but that is how it’s going to work…” The lady said shrugging her shoulders as she pushed us all out of her room.
“What? I am a senior this year, I am not coming back another year because of these stupid boys who don’t know proper English!” I yelled banging on her door, causing a scene in the office.

The six boys looked at me sadly and scratched the backs of their heads.
“Sorry… If I know we come here, we studied harder.” One of them said, trying to manage their best English skills.
It was kind of cute so I laughed, causing him to blush and rub the back of his neck nervously.
“Let’s just talk in Korean, okay? It’ll be easier for you guys to speak and understand, plus it makes me feel special since I am the only one here who knows what you are saying…” I spoke in Korean before I smiled before walking out of the office, being sure they followed.
“We are supposed to follow your schedule…” One of them said in Korean shyly.

I sighed deeply then grabbed one of their hands, not caring which it was and started dragging them to my first period class. One of them stopped me and smiled.
“Don’t you want to know our names before we go to class with you?” He asked again in Korean, flirtatiously.  
“Mine is Shaina…” I said, stopping as I crossed my arms and looked at them.
“I am Daehyun, this is Bang Yong Guk, Himchan, Jong up, Youngjae and Zelo.” The flirty one said in Korean.
“Nice to meet you, now come on…” I said bowing before grabbing Bang Yong Guk’s hand and continuing to class.

I noticed that Bang Yong Guk’s face turned a little pinkish when I grabbed his hand. I hope this kid doesn’t fall for me. I already know that the Daehyun kid probably already likes me by the way he is flirting. I walked into math class and my teacher’s glare instantly shot to me.
“Why did you get called down, what did you get in trouble for this time? Are you the one who put the snapping turtle in the teacher lounge’s fridge?” He asked, crossing his arms and tapping his foot.
I noticed that the boys had stopped outside of the classroom but I was still holding Bang Yong Guk’s hand, so I pulled him in so he stood beside me and he bowed to the teacher as the other made their way in.
“I wasn’t informed of any new students. Is this another one of your silly tricks Shaina? Bringing foreigners into my class to make me look stupid?” He asked, walking over to me angrily.
“We meant here.” Bang Yong Guk said bowing again.
“Take it up with Mrs. Heltick. She forced me into this, I don’t like it any more than you do…” I said, pushing everyone in my row out of their chairs and sitting the boys down, leaving the chair in the middle open for me.

Zelo sat on the end, then it was Himchan, and Daehyun, then me, Bang Yong Guk, Youngjae and Jong up. My teacher looked at me then to the students I just kicked out of my row and moved them to the row across the room from me.
“Kaitlin, watch the class. I am going to have a talk with the principal and Mrs. Heltick over this. Be patient class, I will be back.” The teacher said before leaving the room.
“Yay! I’m in charge, so now all of you have to obey me or else…” She replied standing up.
“Kaitlin sit down before my pencil obeys my hand and goes in your jugular…” I said through gritted teeth.
Kaitlin sat down with no problem and sat there quietly.
*Everything that is said in Korean will be italicized so that I don’t have to keep writing ‘said in korean’*
Sorry if we got you in trouble. We have to be here or we would not have came and bothered you…” Daehyun said looking at me sadly.
It’s okay. I have enough trouble on my own, its about time someone comes and helps me stir some up… it got pretty hard getting in to trouble all the time by myself…” I replied leaning back in my chair.
My teacher walked in and said nothing, just went straight back to the lesson with a ‘holy crap she was right’ look on his face for the rest of the period. The boys just looked at me impressed for some reason.

We sat in class and the teacher didn’t talk to me for the rest of class, and thank god he didn’t call on me to answer questions either. After that class ended, it was lunch time; one of my favorite times of the day. I walked out of the room and forgot that I was being followed by six different guys who huddled around me like they were my body guards. I walked into lunch and sat at my table as I got funny looks from my sister, Aislean.
“Hey Aislean… Mrs. Heltick said that they have to follow me around for the rest of the year because I am the only one she knows in my building that can speak fluent Korean…” I said, sitting down as they all sat around the table.
“Wait. You are being forced to babysit them?” Aislean retorted.
“Yeah… They don’t speak English, or should I say engrish… very well…” I said, taking a brief moment to laugh.

We both started laughing as the six boys looked at us confused.
I was making fun of you people in engrish…” I spoke Aislean and I still laughing.
Yah, that’s no way to treat your new best friends!” Himchan whined.
“Oh yeah… The whiny one is Himchan, the flirty one is Daehyun, the shy one is Bang Yong Guk, the cute maknae is Zelo, The cool one is Youngjae, the last one is Jong up…” I said pointing to each one as I introduced them.
Annyeonghaseyo! Nae ileum-eun Aislean ida. mannaseo bangawoyo !” Vanessa said making a slight bow to each of them.
Mannaseo bangawoyo!” They all replied bowing to her while they were seated.
“So, are they going to follow you around everywhere?” Aislean asked.

I looked around the table and noticed that Zelo was pretty amused by Aislean and laughed quietly to myself.
“Yeah, I have them all year… And get this! If their manager says they have to stay another year, I have to come back another year to translate for them…” I whined loudly.
Mianhaeyo…I sorry” Bang Yong Guk said sadly as he bowed to me.
I felt a little bad after what I said, yes it did bug me, but they seem pretty nice so far.
“So, you have fun with these guys following you around everywhere…” Aislean said standing to go dump her tray.
“Thanks… I have to ride home with them as well, do you want to come with me?” I said, smiling cutely.
“No, I don’t…” Aislean replied as she turned.
“Let me rephrase that so you understand better… You are coming with me whether you like it or not…” I replied, as she walked away laughing.

Zelo smiled to himself slightly and turned so that it was just noticeable enough to see he was watching Aislean as she left. I laughed and Daehyun noticed it as well.
Yah! Quit checking out my sister, you little ert!” I said knocking him on the head as I walked by him to go to my next class.
Zelo stood up blushing and hid behind Bang Yong Guk while they quietly followed behind me.
Do we have to go to your classes? Can’t we just skip them, I mean, it’s not like you haven’t skipped them before…” Daehyun smiled, winking at me.
Why? Simple, because I’d be afraid to be alone with you…” I replied, pointing to Daehyun.

They all laughed and I noticed that Bang Yong Guk remained with a smile on his face while looking at the ground as we walked to my lab. I seriously hope that these kids don’t get attached to me.
“Who are they?” My lab members asked curiously surrounding the boys instantly.
“Hey! Woah, back it up!” I yelled pushing them all away.
“Tell us who the Asians are!” They all yelled at me.
“First off, I don’t know who they are either. I know their names, that’s it. Mrs. Heltick said that they have to follow me around for the rest of the year since I am the only one she knows who can speak Korean fluently well enough.” I replied, as the teacher walked up to me.
“Oh, I was told about you guys. You can just kind of hang out here and make your selves comfortable, Shaina will be doing an assignment so you can also hang out with her if you want, as long as you don’t distract her from her work…” My teacher said, waving them over to my desk.

I sat in my desk chair and they all grabbed chairs and sat around my desk as I got out my sketch book, put on my headphones, grabbed a pencil and began to do the assignment. They all watched in awe as I pulled a picture of a wolf up on my screen and began to sketch it on my paper. The wolf slowly began to come alive on the page as it crept in the bushes on a rabbit eating clovers. I was listening to a song by B.A.P. called Warrior when the guys started laughing, interrupting me from my sketching.
Yah! What are you laughing at? You are distracting me from my work!” I said, angrily as the song went off.
You are a really good artist, that’s all. It looks violent, but cute all at the same time…” Bang Yong Guk said pointing to my picture.
Yah, leave me alone…I have to finish this by today. I only have three hours of lab and this has taken me about an hour and a half…” I whined, poking Bang Yong Guk’s hand away when he went to touch it.
“How is it coming over here, guys?” My teacher asked, leaning over my shoulder.

I leaned towards Daehyun so that the teacher could get a full glimpse of my picture and see what all I have accomplished so far.
“You are doing good. Keep it up, remember, you still have a lot to go and you only have about an hour and a half left!” My teacher reminded me as she turned to leave.
So, am I so special that you leaned towards me?” Daehyun asked, smirking.
No, I wanted her to get a better look at it, now will you please leave me alone so I can finish this?” I asked, begging him with puppy dog eyes.
Do I get something in return for doing as you wish now?” Daehyun asked curiously.
Yeah, sure whatever, just leave me alone now…” I said, trying to fix a shading mistake I made in the trees.

Bang Yong Guk looked at Daehyun angrily as Daehyun congratulated himself and celebrated in his chair. I finally finished the final touches on my picture about an hour later and looked up to see that Zelo, Himchan, and Jong up fell asleep within that time period.
Yah! Wake up, you children. This is not a place to sleep!” I said, kicking the legs of their chairs to wake them up.
Woah, Shaina, that looks really good…” Zelo said, pointing to my picture surprised.
Did you doubt me? This is my second year in this course…” I replied, smiling.

My teacher walked over to collect my drawing but took a copy of it instead and told me to keep the original.
You should make us a copy but sign the bottom first…” Himchan said, pointing to the bottom corner of my drawing.
Or you could just deal without. I can draw you guys something else later on or something. I’ll let you have the original and keep the copy.” I replied, smiling as Bang Yong Guk immediately smiled at that.
Yeah, I like that idea…” Daehyun said smiling as well.
After I turned in my homework, a few of the girls in my lab came over and started flirting with the guys. It made me a little irritated when they started flirting with Bang Yong Guk and Daehyun but then Daehyun pushed them away and walked over to me. He put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me into a side hug.
“I like her…” Daehyun said smiling as the girls looked at me angrily.

I pushed Daehyun away from me and he just stood there, directly beside me as I walked over to the teacher to find out what I got on my picture.
“So, how did I do?” I asked, nervously.
“Well, you got a low B on the assignment. You did very well and have improved greatly though, I am proud of you.” My teacher said handing me a small bag of candy to congratulate me.
“Alright!” I cheered as I opened the bag and ate a piece.
When I turned around, all six guys were standing in a U shape behind me with their hands out begging for some candy.
“Really?” I asked, looking at them.
They all nodded so I gave them some candy being sure to save some for Aislean.

Daehyun’s POV

 I liked Shaina the moment I saw her face, she seemed like a nice person under all of her ego. I decided to play with her a little bit and pretend that I couldn’t understand English very well. Bang Yong Guk and I are the two oldest that know the most English. She is a really good artist, though I am glad that we got stuck with her for the entire year. I would honestly be lost if we were only allowed to stay with her for a couple days then go on our own.
Yah! Daehyun, quit day dreaming and let’s go! I have one more class to go to…” Shaina said, grabbing my hand and pulling me out of the room, the others were waiting in the hallway.
We all followed Shaina to her last class of the day; psychology I think is what it was. We walked in and the teacher had assigned seats for us already. Shaina sat at a table with a boy and girl adjacent to my table. I sat with Bang Yong Guk and two other girls. Then Himchan got to sit with Jong up and Youngjae along with an empty desk. Zelo just so happened to sit to the table next to me with a girl and two other guys.  I looked towards the board to see what the teacher was writing and she wrote it all in English. I know how to speak and translate a little bit of English, but I don’t know how to read and write it. I looked at the guys confused, as they all just rubbed the back of their necks nervously. I looked over to Shaina for help but she was too busy being flirted with by the guy who sat at her table. It made me kind of mad when he grabbed her hand and held it in his so I stood up and walked over to her and pulled her back to my table.

I pointed to the board and shrugged my shoulders as well as Bang Yong Guk doing the same.
I only know how to speak and translate a little bit. I don’t know how to read and write it…” I whined.
Ugh, yah… why couldn’t you wait until after class? I can copy it down and help you with it later after school or something…” Shaina said, turning back around to walk back to her table.
I nodded as I watched her walk back over and sit in the empty desk next to the boy who was flirting with her earlier, so I decided to start flirting with the girls that sat at my table in order to pass the time since I obviously can’t do it now.
“What’s wrong?” The teacher asked confused.
“They can’t read or write English, they can barely speak it and translate…” She replied, as the lady walked over to my table to look at me.
“Oh, well, would you mind translating it on the board for them?” The teacher asked.
“I know how to speak Korean, not write it…” Shaina sassily remarked.
“Don’t lie…” Zelo said, smiling happily in his corner.

As soon as Zelo smiled half the girls in the class immediately fawned over him and looked at Shaina angrily. Shaina gave Zelo, I’m sure, the angriest, ‘I am going to kill you later’ face to Zelo as he sunk down in his chair to escape her gaze.
Yah! Shaina knows little. Don’t excuse things up…” I said, trying to manage my best English.
Feeling proud that I managed to say almost a sentence in English, I sat up and smiled.
You mean, ‘Don’t make up excuses…’ I can teach you English later too since we are apparently going to be together for an entire year…” Shaina said smiling at me.
I knew there was a nice side to her, you just have to find it. Although, once you find it; you have to be careful because you can lose it just as fast as I did. I am really interested in this girl though, I want to know more about her and what her likes and dislikes are. I am slowly figuring them out as I go along.

After her last class we walked out to the front of the building and stopped.
Why did we stop?” Bang Yong Guk asked, scratching his head.
I am waiting for my sister and you guys are going to like it…” Shaina replied, leaning on Youngjae’s shoulder.
Youngjae looked at me confused then shrugged her off and hid behind Bang Yong Guk. She just looked at us all and smiled towards me. She started walking towards me with a smile on her face then pushed me aside once she got to me which confused me until I turned around and saw Aislean walking towards us.
“Hey! You are coming with us, yes? Good, I’m glad.” Shaina said grabbing Aislean’s arm and pulling her along.
Where is the car at that we are supposed to be riding in?” Aislean asked, rolling her eyes.

 

 

 

Thanks for reading guys! Depending on how many read/comment this story will depend on how often I update... So please comment, and subscribe if you'd like to as well :) Hope you enjoyed this first chapter, I would love it if you left me thoughts and/or feelings about it so far! ~Shay <3

       ( )( )
      ( ^.^ )
     ( () () )3    LOVE YEW!