Happy Reunions

Long distance

 (3 weeks later)

“Okay children, you will not jump on your new aunt. You will not squeeze her. You will be careful not to trip her or knock her over. We are picking her up from the hospital and she is still broken okay?”

“Yes Appa”

“There will be no shouting or running or otherwise misbehaving once we leave this vehicle. Am I understood children. JR as the oldest I am holding you responsible for the behavior of your siblings.”

“Yes Mommy”

“Alright then let’s go” Jiyong says grabbing the carrier that holds his youngest child. After delivering Shinay to her home he has to drive and pick up Seunghyun from the airport. This is going to be one busy day. Sometimes wrangling 6 children all one year apart from each other can be like leading an army. It is difficult but he wouldn’t trade his life for anything in the world. He just hopes his best friend gets to experience the same joys someday.

Nothing makes him laugh more than picturing Choi Seunghyun freaking out as his first born gets delivered. He wore a whole in the floor with his pacing when Renata first gave birth. He is a very dedicated godfather. As soon as the entire Kwon family reached the hospital room, JR took off running. So much for promises and understandings about good behavior.

“JR you get back here this instant!” Renata says through her teeth holding the rest of the children by the hands while Jiyong lugs the baby carrier. He was about to be in serious trouble until the parents heard: “hey little man! You like it here in Chicago, or do you miss Seoul?” It is TOP. He is supposed to be on a 757 on his way here. Instead he is sitting in a chair next to Shinay’s hospital bed looking like he hasn’t slept in a week.

“Choi! What the !”

“Ji the children are here!”

“Children you didn’t hear daddy cuss right?”

“Right Appa!” they all say in unison. This is routine in the Kwon house. No one hears daddy cuss when mommy catches him.

“Choi Seunghyun, why didn’t you tell me you were coming early? I could’ve left the children with their grandparents so there would be more room in the car for you! How on earth am I supposed to fit you, your luggage, 6 car seats, a woman in a body cast, me, and my wife in the Expedition?”

“I hired a chauffeured car. I will transport Shinay and you all can take the SUV. I completely forgot I asked you to come pick her up. I’m sorry bro.”

“It’s okay. Just know that the next time you are buried in a pile of rambunctious toddlers and kindergarteners I will not be helping you! They can tickle you until you pee!” Jiyong retorts with an evil grin.

“Really Appa? I can tickle Uncle TOP and you won’t stop me?” Vayla the oldest girl asks.

“Yes dear. I won’t stop you no matter how much he begs me.”

“Oh you’re gonna get it mister! When you least expect it too!” she says with a grin that rivals her mothers. She is adorable and full of mischievous energy. After all the paperwork is completed and the discharge instructions are given, they release Shinay into the care of her devoted boyfriend.

“I can walk. I may be a little slow but I can do it.” She says looking up at the man she loves. He is carrying her in his arms to her front door like a groom does his bride across the threshold of their home. “You will do no such thing. I will carry you and you will hush and let me do so.” He replies like a scolding husband. She thinks he looks adorable when he is trying to be bossy. He can never manage to actually yell at her no matter how much her stubbornness may annoy him.

“I am sorry I can’t show you around my city like you did for me in Seoul. It still hurts to breathe and these drugs they have me on for the pain make me sleep most of the day.” Shinay pouts at him. TOP is just happy to be with her regardless of what they can or can’t do. “I came here to be with you, not to be a tourist. I will see the sights of your city some other time. I am more interested in taking care of you.” He replies kissing her lips gently.

Since he is a terrible cook, Renata pre-made all the meals and left instructions on how to heat them for him in Korean. The couple spent most of their time gently cuddling while watching old movies or debating things like which rapper was more influential on the hip-hop scene Tupac or Biggie. She recovered slowly but steadily. It was a painful process for them both.

They found that TOP cannot tolerate her being in any sort of discomfort. He was eventually banned from attending her physical therapy sessions. “I still don’t understand why they won’t let me come in anymore.” He complained in her ear. “Choi you cussed at my therapist for 20 minutes in Korean though he couldn’t understand you at all. You were escorted out of the hospital by security. You almost assaulted a guy who accidentally poked me in the ribs.”

“Okay, okay! I get it. I am a menace. I am sorry honey but when you look tired and they keep pushing you to work harder it upsets me. The man was an and the idiot who poked you deserved to get punched in the face. Jiyong had no right to stop me.”

“You are so cute. I love you so much. You are still not coming into my therapy session today.”