Tragedy strikes

Long distance

Another day in the can. Just have to give instructions to the warehouse manager for a midnight delivery and I can leave for the day. I have another Skype date tonight with TOP and I want to know how he liked his latest care package. Poor guy can’t boil water. Meals delivered to his home and office for a month should keep him from burning his condo to the ground. Either that or wasting away because he neglects himself. I can’t have him ill and me be thousands of miles away unable to nurse him. I’ll go crazy.

“Hey watch out!!!!” someone is screaming. I turn to look and I know I am too late. There is a forklift coming right for me and there is no time to move out the way. It hurts so much.

TOP’S POV

“Mr. Choi, Mr. Choi!”

“What is it Lee Seunghyun? Why are you in my house in the middle of the night?”

“There is an urgent phone call from Kwon Renata. She has been ringing you for an hour and couldn’t get you so she sent me”

“Is it my god children? What is going on?” I ask taking the phone from my assistant. He is a pest at times but he is the best at his job. I hope everything is alright. “Hello Re-Re. Are the children okay? How is Jiyong?”

“Choi, go in your office and sit down. I will tell you once I know you are seated and alone.” She says to me in a disturbingly calm voice. It is the way she talks to the kids when they are weeping from a nightmare. It is the bad news voice. Leaving my bedroom where my assistant is standing there staring at me expectantly, I go to my home office and shut the door.

“Alright I am sitting and I am alone. What the is going on Re-Re?”

“I told you that Shinay and I have kept in touch and that I happen to know her sister from my old job back in Chicago right? Well her sister called me today to tell me Shinay has been hurt in a work accident.”

“Hurt! Hurt how? Is she okay?”

“Calm down she is alive and she is in surgery. Broken ribs and internal bleeding. She will be in a lot of pain but is supposed to make a full recovery. I just wanted you to know what was going on.”

“I can’t leave here now! There is too much going on here for me to fly to America. I can’t go until next week! ! She needs me and I can’t BE THERE! Are you SURE she is okay? You aren’t lying to me are you?”

“Have I ever sugar-coated anything for you? We are going to take the kids to visit my parents in Chicago so I can see her with my own 2 eyes. You can’t be there but I can. Jiyong is helping me pack up the kids now.”

“You can’t fly now! You just gave birth a week ago! Are you crazy?”

“Why must the both of you always ask me that? Ji is coming with me. I won’t die midflight and neither will Minho. I will call you when we land at O’Hare and again when we reach Loyola hospital.”

“You take care of yourself and the children. Thank you so much. I don’t deserve friends like you two.”

“You love her therefore she is family. We take care of family.”

“Put Ji on the line for me baby girl”

“This is Ji”

“Dude are you seriously about to fly to America with 5 toddlers a newborn and a post-partum wife?”

“Have you tried to say no to her once she has her mind set on something?”

“Yeah it’s never pretty”

“Exactly! She wants to fly, I can work from anywhere. The doctors actually said she is healthy enough. We fly or she stops talking to me. I hate it when she stops talking to me.”

“There aren’t words for how thankful I am that you guys are doing this.”

“Hey if you didn’t hire my wife to teach you English I wouldn’t have met her. I wouldn’t be happily married with 6 kids now. I owe you my happiness. It’s the least I can do to make sure you get yours. Now get off the phone so I can work on number 7 before we go.”

“Ji, if you knock her up again she is going to cut your balls off. You gotta wait the full 6 weeks so she can get on birth control this time.”

“That 5 more weeks from now! Do you know me at all?”

“I’ll start preparing for another addition to the family”