What's next?

The Limit.

A/N: I know I said I wouldn't continue this but...I was looking at old stuff and suddenly just felt like finishing this up, so here goes. I'm not sure how long more it would be but I hope I really can finish it this time round! This chapter is kind of like a reset for me to get back into this story (since I'm writing another one at the same time too) so it's relatively short. Promise the next one would be longer!


Evidently clear of the feelings they had for each other, and also what the other was thinking, the both of them felt that the best thing they could do for each other was to keep a distance, until they have got everything sorted out. Yet at the same time, neither wanted to lose the other. The least they could was to remain friends. Keeping a distance was never part of the plan.

After the kiss that night, they were both almost certain that it was love they were feeling, but neither had the courage to take the step forward. They didn’t voice it out, but it was a mutual agreement that nothing more could get out of that, that they could be nothing more than friends.

That kiss was meant to put a stop to everything. Everything was supposed to end with that kiss, but evidently, it backfired.

Jongsuk wished he was busy, that he was so busy he didn’t have time to sleep. But unfortunately for him, he didn’t have any schedules lately and the company felt that it was about time to give him his well-deserved rest after working non-stop for two whole years.

Many nights, Jongsuk internally cursed Woobin. He cursed Woobin for having taken that step forward, for having made that move. He cursed Woobin for having given him the chance to even feel what could have been. It just made things harder than they already were. He had many times jolted awake from a dream where they were making out. In his dreams, he felt Woobin’s lips, soft like he remembered them to be. He could smell Woobin’s scent and feel Woobin’s skin against his. Many times, he woke up feeling uncomfortable between his legs.

It disturbed him, a lot more than he thought it would. It disturbed him not only because he knew he had to stop thinking this thoughts. It disturbed him because he never thought he would ever feel so because of a friend. It disturbed him that he is beginning to want more. For Jongsuk, keeping a distance seemed like the only option at the moment.

But that wasn’t the case for Woobin. Keeping a distance was never an option. He couldn’t risk keeping a distance, because he knew if he kept a distance, the distance between the both of them would only become wider. He knew that if that was the case, he would lose Jongsuk, even as a friend.

Woobin knew it was very selfish for him to do so, that Jongsuk needed the time away from Woobin, but he didn’t know what else he could do, or should do. He paced up and down his house, before he finally dialled Jongsuk’s number. He wasn’t expecting Jongsuk to pick up the phone. It seemed like they were back to how things were before they got close again, just worse.

It was when Woobin was about to hang up did someone pick up the phone on the other end of the line.

“….hey?” Woobin spoke. He didn’t know what he should say, and that was about all he could manage.

“…” There was no reply, and the line got cut off.

Woobin stared at his phone. He wasn’t sure what just happened, or what he should do next.

On the other side of the line, Jongsuk too, was staring at his phone. He didn’t know what he just did, he didn’t know why he picked up the call, but hearing Woobin’s voice on the other side of the line made him realize how much he missed Woobin, and how much he had wanted to see Woobin. He knew the conversation would not do him any good and he had no choice but to cut it off, but right now, as he stared at his phone, all he wanted to do was to return the call.

Jongsuk felt so stuffy. He felt like there was something hard pressing against his chest and he couldn’t breathe. He didn’t want to cry, but he felt really helpless and that was about the only thing he could do.

***

The situation remained fairly awkward for the both of them, neither knowing what exactly they should do or could do.

As much as Woobin tried to keep in contact with Jongsuk, it was difficult for him in that he didn’t know exactly what he could say. As for Jongsuk, he just kept his distance. After a while, things did get easier for him. Jongsuk wasn’t getting those dreams as much anymore, but he wasn’t confident he could still initiate conversations with Woobin, and so he just left it.

“Hyung, can I skip this? Please?” Jongsuk whined as he looked at the schedule his manager had just passed to him. It was for the opening of a prestigious fashion brand, and on the list of invited guests, Woobin’s name was there too.

“I’m afraid not. This is rather important and they are thinking of having you as their model. You have to be there.”

“But, hyung-----“

“No. What’s wrong? Woobin would be there too, you two haven’t met in a while right?”

“Fine.” Jongsuk rolled his eyes and walked away, evidently unhappy. He didn’t want to say anything more about it. He couldn’t do anything else but secretly pray that Woobin would turn it down.

On the day of the event, Jongsuk mentally prepared himself for whatever was to come, taking in a deep breath before stepping out of the car. He took a quick scan of his surroundings. Good, no Woobin.

He posed a couple of times for the media, before being led over to the VIP area where he greeted the upper management and directors, putting on his most professional look. He hated events like this, but over the years, he had learnt to deal with it.

After the few necessary greetings, Jongsuk quietly excused himself, getting a glass of champagne and headed over to the balcony to get some fresh air, and hoping that it would be a good place for him to avoid any chances of bumping into Woobin.

He leaned against the railings of the balcony, staring far into space and clearing his mind, not wanting to think about anything in particular. He took in the crisp, cool night air, silently enjoying the calm night, away from all the buzz that was happening inside.

Jongsuk was so lost in his own thoughts and oblivious to his surroundings that he didn’t notice someone approaching him from behind.

“Jongsuk,”the deep voice said, bringing him back into reality. Jongsuk didn’t need to turn to know who that voice belonged to. He swallowed dryly and shut his eyes, neither turning to look at the man behind him nor making a move to move away from the place. What was to come had come. And all he could do now, was to face it.