VII.

The Acacia Treehouse

It must've been around 11 at night when I felt a sudden drop in the temperature, rendering the wind colder than the first, I rose from the floor and shook Kyuhyun awake. Kyuhyun at first was immovable but I managed to awaken his spirits.

"Look outside. See the world at night." I told him almost poetically. This made him chuckle a bit as he sat on the wooden floorboards and looked outside. 

"Isn't it beautiful the way the lights from afar make our night so bright in the dark?"

"Yes. I wish we could be there." I told him. Then, I felt Kyuhyun grabmy hand and put it close to his chest.

"We could both be. We could go to the city." Kyuhyun said.

"Are you crazy?! I said as I snatched my hand away from his. "We cannot go there! It's too far. And we're still kids. We don't know how."

"I know how." Kyuhyun said adamantly like a young man though he was only 10. He took my hand and scooted over to the opening of the treehouse, exiting and going down. In the middle of the steps, he cajoled. Tempted to go with him on a nighttime adventure, to sneak out way past bedtiime and see the world under dark skies, I went along with him and together we went down the treehouse and once our feet touched the ground, he took my hand once more and we walked in front of his house, glancing at it.

"Won't your mother get angry?" I asked him.

"No. Mommy's not there anymore. She's out at work."

"This time of the night?" I grapsed his hand. 

"Yeah. Mommy said so." 

"Okay." he tugged my hand tighter and we went on a short walk in the moonlight. 

While Kyuhyun and I were walking, we happened to have chanced upon a pink house on the corner of the street. It looked abandoned, as we saw no car parked or no sign of residence whatsoever. The pink house looked relatively new, meaning it might have been abandoned recently right after construction. 

"Maybe the owner doesn't have a car." I told him.

"Maybe so." Kyuhyun replied. "He bikes? But I see no bike no how."

Then, we heard the sound of banging, groaning and as though someone was in pain inside. Terrified, Kyuhyun and I inched backwards but curiousity probably got the better of us when we decided to move closer to it and observe the situation.

"Is someone dying inside?" I asked him frightfully. Kyuhyun produced no answer but never let go of my hand. In an instant I felt as though Kyuhyun and I had a certain connection, one far deeper than friendship. 

"I don't think so. But I think someone is gettin hurt." said Kyuhyun.

"Should we help them?" I asked, concern overflowing from my eyes. Kyuhyun saw it and sensed it, too.

"No. Let's wait and see first." He told me. I nodded and gripped his hand tightly. 

"Oh Josephine. That was the best." the man groaned from above. Our ears sharpened at this statement, which we were too juvenile to understand. 

"Anytime, daddy. Now, hand over the pay." came the female voice. Kyuhyun felt a distinct throbbing in his chest which he said echoed through his ears.

"Josephine. The voice. It sounds like...." 

Footsteps were heard from outside. THe two were coming down. The sound of heavy smooching filled the room and as soon as the two were out, the lady was shocked to see us standing outside the pink house.

Kyuhyun's worst fears were confirmed. It was indeed his mother in that house making love with the old man. Yes, the man that came out with her looked to be around 60-ish. 

"What..." Josephine stood speechless, releasing her grip on the man's hand and the cash that was on her right hand. Our eyes darted towards the bills and coins that fell like rain. Rain was the perfect thing to compare Kyuhyun's tears to as he ran away, holding my hand and dragging me along with him.

As he ran faster and faster, I found my gaze fixed on his mother who tried torun after him, stopping only at the doorstep of the house. I was ooking at her and she was looking at me. 

Kyuhyun and I reached home. Home to us was the acacia treehouse that stood in between his and our house. Feeling confused and frustrated over what he had witnessed, Kyuhyun slept with angry tears roling down his eyes. In an effort to comfort him, I stayed right next to him, his hair and rubbing his back.

"Please stay with me." he said with his back turned, sobs and cries gentle as the wind and the ripples on a river during a rainy day were heard by me. This made me want to cry as well as the tears I felt were weling up at my eyes. Silently, they began to fall like a drizzle on a October morn. 

"I will." I told him.

"Promise me, please." he said. Kyuhyun turned and faced me. "Promise me."

"I promise you."

"Don't leave me okay?" he said, grasping my hands with both his young hands. The tears were now coursing down his eyes and with his pain I felt pain. I recalled the time Uncle Hwanngbin slept over at our house and my pain was even more piercing. I took his hand in mine as well and together we sobbed. Sobbed, loudly now in the acacia treehouse.