III.

The Acacia Treehouse

Kyuhyun and I got up hastily to our treehouse and sat on the wooden floor. The treehouse wasn't that much colossal as you would imagine in most fairy tales. It was small and accomodated at most 3 little children. It had a purple mat in the center which I reckon had just been washed two weeks ago. The smell of the fabric still lingered around my nose. 

"Let's start with him." Kyuhyun pointed at a stout, balding man of around 54. He was fumbling angrily to himself as he fixed his briefcase. 

"Where do you think he's headed?" I asked Kyuhyun.

"Maybe he's headed off to a land of money. And that briefcase expands, getting bigger and bigger with each cash he puts in it." he laughed and I laughed along with him.

"And then as he briefcase gets stouter, it then explodes and it rains money on all of us so all the people in the world would get some money!" I squealed. Kyuhyun laughed at my idea too.

"Hey look at her!" Kyuhyun slyly pointed at a woman who was busy tugging her little kid who seemed to have enjoyed playing in the snow. 

"Wow. Just like mommy when I wouldn't get off the snow or a ride at the park when I was a kid."

"For real, she was like that?"

"Yeah." I said. "I shouted so loud one time that everyone in the park had their eyes on us and they were looking real bad at mommy. She had no choice but to let me have one last swing on the swings, eventually." 

"You were really your mother' master, weren't you?" he asked.

"Pretty much. Only when tantrums were being thrrown in public and everyone was looking at her. If there was one thing mommy hated, it was unwanted attention or being seen as a bad guy. Nobody likes that."

"Well yeah. But my mommy wouldn't care though. Not that I'm saying my  mommy is better than your mommy, of course mommies are different in their own way but my mommy wouldn't care if people looked at her bad. If nagging us repeatedly and dragging us around was what it took to make us stop, she'd do it." Kyuhyun said.

"Ever wonder what we'd be like if we had kids of our own?" came a blunt question from me. I wasn't sure if I meant it that time but I was sure I did. I think I was pretty serious when I asked him that but ever the child, Kyuhyun laughed at me.

"You don't say. I can't imagine me having kids. I mean, I just want to sit around by myself or with friends and play all day."

"I would like that, but I don't think it's possible." I said. "I wish it were, though."

"Yeah. But I can stay young forever, that's a promise."

"How I'd love that." I squealed along with him. "Then nobody would ever tell me that I'm too old for dols or I'm too old to play in the snow."

"I'll be like Peter Pan, Seo. I'll never grow old. I promise you that."

"Promise me we'll never grow old." I told him rather desperately. A depressing thought overcame me which led to my saying that. It got me thinking about how we would age, how our interests would change as much as our bodies would, how we would grow apart. Growing up with Kyuhyun by my side for the past 9 (10 for him) years, I dreaded the thought of us being apart.

"I promise. We'll never grow old." Kyuhyun stuck his pinky out and kissed it. "Pinky swear with me, you." I stuck my pinky out and intertwined it with his.

"I promise." the clutching of our pinkies got tighter and tighter, us looking each other in the eyes with the friendship and innocence that only childhood could bring.

"SEO! SEO! WHERE ARE YOU!?!" the sound of my mother calling. I let go of his pinky and moed to the opening of the tree house.

"Treehouse, mommy!" I called. Mommy tilted her head and saw me and Kyuhyun in the treehouse.

"You get down from there young lady and help me get ready!!!" she called. After our sincere and desperate conversation about not wanting to grow old; I sort of didn't want to piss mom off that time. I wasn't in the mood to be disobedient.

"We have to go down." I told Kyuhyun in a whisper-like tone. Kyuhyun nodded and together, me and him went down the treehouse and went our separate ways, he to his house and me to my own. Mommy ushered me into the door.

"We getting ready for tonight's dinner, mom?"

"Yes we are. Now go into the kitchen and help me bake the cake." she said. I went to the kitchen and followed her orders.

At an early age, mommy taught me how to bake. Baking was one of the things that mommy enjoyed and although I didn't pick up the interest the way she expected me to, I still helped her nontheless. As I sifted the flour the way she taught me how to, I felt the urge to tell her what I had told Mrs. Cho.

"Mommy, I invited Mrs. Cho to come over-"

Mommy snapped a furious glance at me and bit her lower lip, a sign that I must shut my mouth. 

"Wha-"

"You do not invite that woman to our house, do you understand me?!" Apparently mommy couldn't  hold her anger any longer, the reason as to why she had to snap at me. Instead of asking, I quietly proceeded to do my work, silently going about the baking process with mommy. 

Baking was the only area where I could help mommy and as soon as my task had been done, I went over to the diningr room and sat in the chair. I just stared at her as she worked, wondering over and over in my head why she banned me from inviting Mrs. Cho over. I so badly wanted to ask her but she just might snake away from the topic.

Hence, I remained seated and quiet, staring into the nothingness though there was definitely something.