Chapter 11

Apartment: should we stay?

10th April 2014

"Thanks Min Jung for helping us. I have no idea how much she had to pack for this," Gary offered the seat next to him for Min Jung.
"Well, my wife ask to help. Beside, its been a long time i pay visit to Chun Ae." He is holding Chun Ae in his arm.
"Jihyo's parent..are they okay?" Gary near whispered to Min Jung. He don't want Jihyo to hear about it. Since they are married, they never see them.
"Mr Song still with his backpain, the spine problem really make him suffered but Mrs Song always there to help him. I heard last week, they are moving to State for treatment. Jihyo's sister live there."
"Who are moving to State?" Suddenly Jihyo appears. She took a seat on the couch.
"Just..one of my friend," Min Jung replied.
"Oppa, this house is nice. It doesn't look like a house from 10 years back."
"Yeah, i try to maintain the figure inside. But now you are living here, so i let you decorate an arrange on whatever you want."
"Is it? Thanks oppa."
"Who live here before?" Ask Gary. He still had no idea about this house.
Min Jung kept silent for a while. Both Gary and Jihyo look on his face waiting for response.
"When my parents bought this house, they gave as wedding gift to my sister. Even we as a family not really agree with her choice but as our youngest in the family, we give her in. i rarely visit her as i had my business in State at that time. After my wedding with Yoori, we fly to State back as my business there got corrupted. Then only i knew, her husband or maybe my sister also cheat on us. But we are late..the moment i tried to find them, they already disappeared from this house." Min Jung tells the truth that he know.
"So, you never try to find them? Its about money, i'm sure it will be a big amount." Ask Gary.
"I don't mind to lose the money if it goes to my sister. I hope she happy now and meet me once she ready for it. No matter what, she is my sister."
"Yoori never tell me about this. Sorry oppa..we should not ask you.."
"Never mind. I treat you as my sister now. You know what, her age is similar with yours. And her son that last time i saw him was about Chun Ae's age." Min Jung still happily looks at that boy.
"We hope she will return to you sooner.." Gary pat on Min Jung's shoulder. After few minutes of chatting, Min. Jung ask for leave and he walk around the house to search for any fault or broken that he might missed earlier. Suddenly, he stopped in front of the stand mirror placed in the living room. Gary and Jihyo were busy unpack the things at the room at that time. Min Jung rubbed his eyes tried to focused the figure in the mirror. Its Eugene! Standing behind him, tried to reach his back. Her face looks sad and pale. She been crying a lot. Min Jung turn around but nobody was there. He rushed to the front door without turning back. He felt strange but he didn't want to tell Jihyo.
"Gary..Jihyo..i go first. Got something urgent," Min Jung shout from the door before closed it. 

*****************************************************************************************

Jihyo closed the door behind her slowly. After an hour spend only she able to make her son sleep. She walks to the kitchen for a drink when she noticed Gary still awake at his room.
"Still awake?" She ask him. 
"Yes..i'm searching for my inspiration. Is Chun Ae sleep already?" 
"Just turn off. He become so active lately,"
"Would you mind have a coffee with me?" 
"You want to talk?" jihyo ask him back. Gary nodded his head.
They went to the kitchen and prepared the coffee before sit at dining table.
"Are you sure you can take care Chun Ae? You know both of us working at odd hour. I might spend my time at my studio, you will be doing your night shift.."
"Are you doubt on my capabilities? I know how things work, yes its tiring to care for a boy who is growing up but i can do it."
"Its not a doubt..i just worried there is a time that no one can look after him. So, i suggest when that time happened we must send him to omma's"
"Then she will nag to me again. Gary, we should stay away from her. It will be difficult for them to separate later."
"So if we divorce, you took Chun Ae? How about me? He is my son too.."
"Oh, i thought you don't want him. You didn't visit us when he is born. So i just helping you with that," 
"Jihyo..its in the past. He is my strength now. I need him also."
Jihyo thought for a while
" i will let the lawyer decide on visiting day. I try to made as fair as possible." she said without looking at Gary.
"Should we not go for it? I mean we just continue our marriage instead of we going to divorce, we looking for a real marriage." Gary hold her hand.
"Gary..remember our promise? Once Chun Ae is a year, we divorce. But it is already past a month and i still waiting patiently for it. But you..you never made any initiative for that! And now, you ask me to stay?"
"Jihyo..listen here. Our meeting might not be as normal married couple. I know both of us are forced for it. But times change me, i am able to accept you. Watching Chun Ae grows up, i can feel my love for you. For us. Please...can we start from the beginning? Like a normal couple?"
Jihyo just kept silent for few minutes. The confession doesn't make her mind better. She thought a lot about their future. She already had a plan post divorce period but this talk doesn't make the plan to happen. She tried..she tried for this years to tolerate each other but it is for the sake of Chun Ae. She never thought to really had a relationship with Gary.
"I can't..sorry, i can't. Its hard to believe you again." She stood up but Gary able to catch her hand.
"I'm not forcing you. Just think about it. I will wait for your answer. Took how many years you want if the answer is worthy." Gary then release the grip and search for something in his pocket.
"Here..our wedding ring. I found it this morning. Wear it once you ready." He put the ring on the table. Then he left to the room. Jihyo looks at the ring. She is confused with her feeling right now.

*****************************************************************************************

15th April 2014

Its been 5 days since the confession. Gary glanced at Jihyo who is preparing their breakfast. He didn't find any ring on her fingers. He just keep calm and carries Chun Ae from baby chair.
"You will follow appa today. Omma is working. She need to care for a sick people. Omma is strong people. Fighting omma! Fighting!" Gary said playfully with his son. Chun Ae laugh softly. He loves to hear Gary's voice. Since they move in, Gary able to spend times more with his son.
"Gary, i will be back in afternoon. You know Chun Ae's formula is it? I put everything for his diet at the fridge. Breakfast are ready. Okay, omma go first." She kissed both Chun Ae's cheek and head. While busy with Chun Ae, Gary took the opportunity to kiss Jihyo's cheek. Surprisingly, she didn't get angry. She blushed but still hit Gary's chest.
"What? I told you..i will start from the beginning." Gary stared back at Jihyo.
"The beginning for a couple is knowing each other not a kiss. You never had a date before? Oh, that explained why he is here." Jihyo answered while pat Chun Ae's head. Gary bite his lower lip as he know Jihyo tried to fight back. Jihyo gave a smirk before walks toward the door. Soon the door closed, Chun Ae start to cry. It is usual for Chun Ae to cry when he see his mother go to work but it is new to Gary since they move out from Gary's mother.
"Yah..Chun Ae ah. Don't do this again.. Why you attached to your omma so much? Huhu..appa want to cry also." Gary uses few method to comfort his son but after 30 minutes, he just give up. He put Chun Ae on the mattress at living room. Chun Ae continue to cry looking at the door hoping his mother will come. Gary sat on the couch, support his head with his right hand watching his son. 
"Are you hungry? You just had your breakfast. Milk? You want your milk? Ok..ok..appa will do now. Aish..your omma rush to work, forgot to feed his son." Chun Ae is on mixed feeding as Jihyo only feed him when she around. Gary was busy looking for the bottle when his son is still crying louder at living room.
"Jihyo, why you put the bottle in the room? Aishh.." Gary noticed two bottle unwashed at Jihyo's room. He took the bottle to wash when he heard Chun Ae chuckled. He thought the chuckle came from the room but after a while he realized that his son is chuckling outside. Gary went to living room quickly, he peek at Chun Ae. He is lying down plays with his own feet, he already stopped cry and smile on his own.
"Chun Ae.. Is your feet really funny?" Gary laugh watching his son. He continue to make the formula milk. Again, he heard Chun Ae chuckled. He peek from the kitchen. Chun Ae is staring at the window and chuckling. Gary start to feel uneasy. He carries Chun Ae to the kitchen and put him on baby chair but Chun Ae's eyes still fixed to the window direction.
"Chun Ae ah... Appa is here. Look what i got for you." Gary shake the bottle in front of him. Chun Ae turn to Gary's side for seconds then turn back to window. Once Gary just about to carry his son on his arm back, he start to cry again.
"Aish...Chun Ae ah.." It will be a tiring morning for Gary.

******************************************************************************************

Jihyo and Hyorin just finished doing their rounds and walking towards their room.
"Jihyo, you remember our patient? Kwangsoo ssi?"
"Yes. Oh, you remind me to update his progression in ICU." 
"You can't find him today."
"Why?"
"The attending on call last night had transferred him to Psychiatry unit. They thought it some sort of somatopsychotic symptoms."
"Really? Why they don't ask me earlier? Did they know that i'm in charge of his case?" Jihyo start to feel annoyed.
"Technically, he already been discharged from our unit. But don't worry, i know you took his case as your clinical study so...here is it." Hyorin passed a note to Jihyo.
"This is the number and address of the person you can contact to access his case there. Good luck! Your deadline is near."
"Omo! Thanks my dear.. How about his family? Is they okay with it? You know we already with him for 2 years."
"They just followed what the best. Beside, they also didn't see any hope for the treatment."
Jihyo offered a cup of coffee to Hyorin and took a seat next to her.
"So, when is your housewarming party?" Ask Hyorin.
"I'm not plan to do one..." Slowly Jihyo sip from her cup.
"Aish, please..do one! I missed Chun Ae." 
"I have to discuss first."
"So now you discuss? I thought you always the one decide?" Hyorin smirked at Jihyo.

*****************************************************************************************

That night, Gary went to his studio. Jihyo left with Chun Ae. After put her son in the cot, she turn on the baby monitor before took rest at living room. She watches some random tv show while lightly massage her shoulder. She was too focused until she heard scratches sound from the monitor. She adjusted the volume to get better frequency before the scratches sound gone. Then, she heard a humming. Jihyo heard it carefully, it was a humming of a lullaby song. The sound is quite clear to be heard.
"Chun Ae!" Jihyo rushed to her bedroom and found Chun Ae sleeping peacefully. The window behind was close and no humming sound was heard once she was there. Jihyo heart pumping fast. She look around the room but nothing suspicious to be found.
She closed the door slowly and walk back to the living room.
"Arghh!!" Jihyo screamed as she saw Gary stood in front of her.
"Why?! I'm Gary..your husband." He hold Jihyo's cheek. He also startled with the scream.
"Yah! When you arrive?"
"I just reach a minute ago. I saw the TV was still on so i check on you. What happened?"
"No. It just..just..nothing." Gary looks at Jihyo's face. He knew something is not right.
"Jihyo ah, come here." Gary hold Jihyo's hand and brought her to the couch.
"You remember when we first met?" Gary still holding her hand while looking to her eyes lovingly. Jihyo nodded her head. Her eyes fixed to their hand.
"I know you like my music and i don't know why you stop hear it anymore. I have a request, if there is no chance for us to be together i want you to keep this song i compose for us. I don't mind you listen to other music but please love this song. This is my heart's song." He then switch the speaker on for his ipod.
"Enjoy it. " Gary's voice can be heard in the song. Jihyo listen to the lyric of the ballad song carefully until she didn't notice Gary watches her with a long smile.
'...our love is not a sin..'
'...my love getting stronger with each sunrise..'
'...i don't mind thousand scold for one kiss from you..'

Some part of the lyrics that touches Jihyo's heart. But she able to control her tears from flow. She bite her lip to hold it.
"Thank you..Gary." She said after a long silent. Gary hold her hand and smile back.
"Welcome. I promise you i will shower you with my love until you decide. I'm not giving up. Never."
"I hope i can give the answer you want." Jihyo answered but Gary just kept calm.
They continue to chat about their day today. How difficult for Gary to comfort Chun Ae. Jihyo also admitted that her son is became more cling to her lately maybe he started to miss his grandmother who took care of him before. They also decide to do housewarming party at the end of this month. But both of them still kept the scary things that happened earlier.

******************************************************************************************

20th April 2014

Jihyo was having her night shift the day before. She was waiting for Hyorin to come when suddenly she heard a familiar voice.
"Jihyo..." She turned to voice. She was totally in shock and happy that she hug the person.
"Cheon Soo! Oh my god..i miss you." She was smiling happily. She really miss the person not the feeling she use to have before towards him.
"You really put on weight!" Cheon Soo jokes that cause him to get hit on that.
"Why are you here?"
"Missing you..." He smiled cheekily.
"Stop it. Tell me the truth.." 
"I'm doing the research study. Basically i'm on my study leave."
"You got the offer?"
"Its already one year i further my study. So how life?"
"Fine.." Jihyo's smile faded slowly. She turn to the file she holding before.
"I'm sorry, i'm not attending your wedding. Is he okay?"
"We are not having a big party also. He is nice to me and our son. Oh, stop talking about me. How about you?"
"My life is only with my patient," Cheon Soo fake a smile. Deep inside his heart, he still hoping a different answer from Jihyo. They were interrupted by Hyorin who just came and the conversation continue for the rest of the morning.

*****************************************************************************************

Meanwhile, Gary who is struggling to sleep with his son was awake earlier. Chun Ae was playing with his toy in the cot. his phone ringing and saw his mother's on the line.
"Omma.."
"Gary, i forgot to ask you. Today, i had to see doctor for my appointment."
"Huh? Okay..okay..i fetch you later." he ended the call and looks at his watch.
"jihyo should be back by now." He sighed and prepared himself to fetch his mother.

While waiting for his mother in doctor's room, Chun Ae became restless and cry. Then only Gary realized, he forgot to feed his son as he rushing this morning. Suddenly he smile looking at his son.
"Chun Ae you must continue to cry okay? Appa miss your mum so much." He carries Chun Ae to ER department.

"Dr Song, there is a man outside looking for you." Nurse Choi who standing behind the counter informed to Jihyo. Jihyo who are in the middle of the round, walks toward the door.
"Hi omma!" Gary use his son's hand to wave at Jihyo once she stepped out from the door.
"Gary?! What are you doing here? Why he is crying?" Jihyo took Chun Ae from Gary. Automatically, Chun Ae's hand wandered at his mom's . Gary grinned watching his smart son.
"You don't feed him? " Jihyo stared at Gary. They entered the ER towards her office.
"I brought Omma for her appointment today. Since we move out, i lost his appointment date. So i bit rush this morning and forgot his formula milk." Gary explained to Jihyo while following behind her back.
"You stay here.." Jihyo pointed Gary to stay in front of her door but he insisted to enter.
"I want to see your office. I'm afraid to bump into bleeding patient outside beside its not the first time i see you feed Chun Ae." Jihyo give a sigh and just let him stay inside her office. She took a chair and facing the window to avoid if anyone enter the room. Jihyo was focusing on Chun Ae and didn't noticed Gary peek from behind. He smile happily.
"When is the last time you feed him? He looks like he is starving for a week! " Jihyo complaining as its already 15minutes but Chun Ae continue to . Gary just let the question and take a look on her desk.
"Where is our wedding picture? Chun Ae picture is here.." Gary pouted as he looks at the frames on her desk.
Jihyo turn back. She squinted her eyes as a sign to keep silent. Gary continue to look around. He took a chair and move next to Jihyo. Jihyo was stunned by his action but she can't move with Chun Ae on her arm half asleep. Gary's hand move towards Chun Ae's hair. He caressed it slowly and looks it with lovingly. Jihyo watches his hand started to move to her hand that support his son. Gary's face became closer to her but she not avoid it. Her heart start to beat fast, she can feel his breath when suddenly a door behind them open. They quickly move backward, avoid each other eyes.
"Err..sorry to interrupted. Jihyo ah.. I made a move first." Cheon Soo who stand at the door now looking at. Gary.
"She is feeding..shh.." Gary signal to Cheon Soo with his soft voice try not to awake his son. He move to the door and bowed to Cheon Soo.
"You are.." Cheon Soo still look at him. "I'm Gary. Her husband. We never met before."
"Cheon Soo..Jihyo's collegue. Sorry for disturbing..just now." Cheon Soo felt ashamed to talk.
"Its okay. Luckily you come.." Gary answer with his cool face.
"Gary..come here." Jihyo ask his help to hold Chun Ae while she trying to get up. At the same time, Cheon Soo turn back to avoid seeing it.
"Sorry for waiting. Thanks for the visit. I will see you around.." Jihyo smile to Cheon Soo and offered a hug which accepted by him. Gary who felt jealous starts his plan.
"Honey, have you invited him to our party?" Gary's word cause Jihyo to stare at him back. First, since when he use that word to call her. Second, she is not ready to introduce her family to Cheon Soo.
"Party?"
"We are having housewarming party end of this month. It will be pleasure if you can come." Gary continue to talk politely.
"Sure. I will make my time on that day." Gary smile hearing that answer. Jihyo watches Gary who is holding Chun Ae and then she realized Gary carries nursing bag which kept Chun Ae's milk.

'Kang Gary...'