{04}

The Father of My Child
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Sooyoung

 

Spring was coming, and I can see the trees starting to blossom with colorful flowers making the air smell full sweetness. I quickened my pace a little to get Jungsu, who was with Mrs. Jung. I usually don't walk, but since the candle store is close to Mrs. Jung's house, I just thought it'll be nice to go outside and enjoy the fresh air.

While walking, I start to see couples everywhere. I suddenly felt uncomforable, feeling like an outcast. My body tensed, watching a couple walk pass me, they were holding hands and brightly smiling. Another couple was taking a picture together near the trees. I pursed my lips and lowered my head and continued proceeded on.

The more I strolled, the more couples I saw. I sighed. Why do I feel like I'm the only lonely person here? It felt like ages trying to get back to Mrs. Jung's house. Feeling like a loner, I silently tried to hide myself, not wanting to be seen by the lovely-dovely couples. Cringing, I glimspe at the pink colored theme everywhere and couldn't help, but shake my head.

When I saw a familar house, I scurried inside before my eyes spotted another couple. "Umma!" I hear, as I take off my shoes.

"Umma, what did you buy?" Jungsu asked.

"I bought candles. Want to smell them?" He nodded enthusiatically.

"Where's Mrs. Jung?"

"In the kitchen."

I went inside the kitchen, smelling the delicous food. "Mrs. Jung?"

She turned around shocked, "Oh, you're back. I'm just making dinner."

I nodded. "It smells good. I should be get going now."

She frowned, while holding a spatula in her hand. "Why? You just got back."

I faintly smiled "In case you forgot, it's Monday, and Jungsu has school tomorrow."

"Why not have dinner here?"

"Thanks for the offer, Mrs. Jung, but I don't know if we'll have time."

"Well, what time does he have to sleep?"

I looked over at the clock. "He has to sleep at 8:30."

"It's only five, we'll have enough time."

"Are you sure it's okay if we can stay?"

"Of course! You guys are always welcomed," she continues to cut the vegetables.

I  finally gave up and just nodded. "Do you need any help or anything?"

She shook her head. "No, I'm perfectly fine. You can go out and play with Jungsu."

"Are you sure? I can stay and he-"

She gently pushed me out of the kitchen. "I will be alright. Now, you should go out before Jungsu gets lonely." I smiled at her and went to the living room.

"Jungsu?" 

"Umma?"

"What are you doing?"

He shrugged. "Nothing."

"Did you have fun at school?"

"I guess," was his only answer.

"Did you do your homework?"

"Yes."

Why was he acting like this? I put my hand on his forehead. Weird, he seems fine. He wasn't like this a few mintues ago. "Jungsu, what's wrong?"

He just shook his head. "Nothing, umma."

I gave him a look. "Do you really think your own mother would believe that?"

He shrugged. "Was a shot."

I turned his shoulders to face me. "What's wrong? Is is school?" He just looked down, and I took it as a yes.

"What happened?" I asked, sternly.

"It's no big deal, umma," he mumbled.

"Jungsu," my voice tightened.

"Daeho," I blinked. Daeho was Jungsu's friend. Bestfriend, to be exact. Jungsu was only just a few months older, and I couldn't help, but pray nothing bad had happened to him.

"What about Daeho?"

I could see little tears forming around his eyes. "He's in the hospital."

I sat there, not knowing what to say. "Do you know why?"

He shrugged. "They siad he's really sick. When I went to school, I didn't see him and then, my teacher told me." I wiped his tears.

"Stop," I said. "Don't cry. Would you think Daeho would want to see you like this?" 

"No," he mumbled.

"Then don't cry, you'll make him feel guilty."

"Dinner is ready!" I heard Mrs. Jung's voice as we stood up.

"Come. Let's eat, so you can sleep soon," I took out my hand, and he grabbed it.

"Thank you for the meal!" Jungsu and I chorused.

"You're all welcome!"

When Jungsu went to the bathroom, there was silence amongst us until Mrs. Jung spoke, "So, Sooyoung, how's your life?"

"Fine."

"Find anyone yet?" My bestfriends and Mrs. Jung were the only people who knew about my past, and I was surprised once she bought up the love life subject. 

"Umm..No, not yet," I  played with food as I gazed down at my plate.

"Really? Why?"

I shrugged. "I don't know, I don't think it's time yet."

"What do you mean? Don't you think it's about time?"

"It's only been four years," I defended.

"Exactly, four years."

"It's not that long," I argued back.

"I know, but what about Jungsu?"

"I can take care of him myself."

"You can, but not forever," I sighed, knowing she was right and pursed my lips while she continued on.

"Like what happens if you're sick? Or something bad happens? Anything can happen. Plus, you're an only parent."

I bit my lip. "I'm sorry for bringing this up, but you know it's true. I'm divorced, but I don't have a child. You do."

"Well, what do I do?"

She thought for a moment. "There's always a blind date."

"A blind date?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

She nodded. "It's the best option you have." 

I sighed. "I don't know if I want to do a blind da-"

"What's a blind date?" Right then, Jungsu had come back, and lie on his seat, returning to to eat his food.

"N-nothing," I rapidly denied.

He raised his eyebrows at me. "Wait. Is those things when you try to meet someone?"

"Um." my mouth was shut, and Mrs. Jung was also quiet, which Jungsu had taken as a yes.

I peeked to see his reaction. It dawned to him to know what was actually happening. "Umma, you're not thinking of going on a blind date are you?" He looked grim with his eyes expanded a little. Sometimes I wonder why he has to be too intelligent for his age. I didn't have the words to answer, or Mrs. Jung.

"Umma?" Jungsu called.

Mrs. Jung quickly decided to change this subject by saying, "Let's clean up. I guess it's getting late."

I stood up. "I'll wash."

"You don't have to."

"Please, it's the least I can do," she eventually nodded.

When finished, Jungsu and I went out after we big good-bye to Mrs. Jung. "Sooyoung?"

I turned around, "Yes, Mrs Jung?"

"Think about what I said. I'm not trying to pressure you or anything. Just think about it."

I gave a fake smile. "I'll try. Night."

 

 

The rest of the car ride was silent. I glanced at the mirror in the front to see what Jungsu was doing. He was only staring out of the window, out of the distance. I glance at him again. His face showed no emotion at all, and it made me nervous.

Once we were home, Jungsu hurriedly got ready for bed, and I just sat in the living room, closing my eyes. I listen to Jungsu turning on the light as he goes in his room. I walked to his room to say good-night.

I kissed his head. "Good-night."

When I was about to turn off the lights, he talked, "Umma."

"Yeah?"

"You didn't answer me."

"Answer what?" I knew what he meant, but tried to dodge it.

He knew, "Umma, you know what I mean. Are you thinking of going on a blind date?" He had a tone in his voice showing that he wasn't joking at all. His eyes locked into mine like he could see right through me.

"Jungsu, you should go to bed. I need to prepare your lunch for tomorrow." And with that, I swiftly left the room before he said anything else. I shut his door and took a deep breath against it. Going back to the kitchen, my mind wandered off about the conversation with Mrs. Jung today.

The next day came by fast and I kissed Junsu's cheek, dropping him off school. "Be nice when you go to Daeho's house." Jungsu was going over to Daeho's house to see how he was doing and I thought I'll buy gifts for him to make sure he gets better. I stared at him as he went in. Every since the conversation last night, he's been silent the whole entire time and it worries

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter