Someone Cares

Crimson

Kris felt something smack him across the face and his eyes snapped open.

"Wh-what?" he stammered, blinking rapidly.

"Go, just go," Chanyeol urged him.

So Kris started running, nearly dragging Chanyeol along with him.

He ran through halls and out doors and they finally made it outside, but he didn't stop. He ran and ran, trying to get as far away as he could from the blood that had threatened to touch him. They made it into town and were running through the public park when Chanyeol started to slow down.

"Kris, stop, stop! I can't run anymore," Chanyeol wheezed, coming to a stop and letting go of his hand.

Kris collapsed onto the grass, his lungs burning from lack of oxygen. His head was spinning and his heart was pounding and his stomach was churning and a strange taste was in the back of his throat. Struggling to stand, he managed to take five shaky steps before he was doubled over a trashcan, his stomach heaving violently.

When he was done, every last bit of strength in his body was gone, and he simply sat down on the grass and rested his arms on top of his knees, trying to slow his breathing.

"Are...are you okay?" Chanyeol's voice was laced with concern.

No.

"I'm fine," Kris mumbled quietly, keeping his head down.

"Do you want me to buy you some water or something?"

Kris closed his eyes. "Chanyeol, I just need a moment to rest," he said, pinching the bridge if his nose.

"Was it because of all the running?" Chanyeol persisted, the sound of his voice getting closer.

"I just don't like seeing blood," Kris replied abruptly, trying not to cringe. Even saying the word made him feel nauseous.

"Oh."

Chanyeol was silent for a minute before speaking up again.

"I don't really like blood either. Sorry I slapped you earlier, by the way. You looked like you were going to faint, and I wasn't about to carry you out of there," Chanyeol admitted. Chanyeol sat down next to Kris, stretching his long legs out in front of him.

"No, it's okay. If anyone should be smacking me, it should be you. I just feel like an idiot now for running away," Kris muttered.

"That guy was two times bigger than you. If you had stayed, he would've demolished you," Chanyeol protested.

"Yeah, but now I look like a coward for not staying to put up a fight," Kris pointed out.

"Okay, fine. Yes, you could've stayed and fought with that dude, but in the end, what would it have solved?" Chanyeol asked.

Kris looked at him and opened his mouth to reply, but he couldn't think of anything to say.

"Exactly. Absolutely nothing good would've happened. I made you run because I was trying to protect you, not make you look like a coward. I didn't want you getting hurt," Chanyeol huffed.

Kris was completely shocked; this was the first time he'd ever seen Chanyeol look...annoyed.

"Why?" Kris asked quietly.

"Why what?" Chanyeol sighed.

"Why did you protect me?" Kris wondered.

"Because I...you're my friend. I don't want you to get hurt."

"Why do you care what happens to me?"

By this point, Chanyeol was staring at Kris in astonishment. 

"I just told you. You're my friend. Why the hell would I just stand there and watch you get your handed to you?" Chanyeol demanded.

"I don't know," Kris mumbled, feeling a little embarrassed. It felt strange to realize that someone was looking out for him.

But it was also kind of nice.

"If you don't know, then how am I supposed to know?" Chanyeol snorted.

"Sorry. I'm just not used to having people....you know...care...about me," Kris mumbled.

"Well, get used to it," Chanyeol stated firmly.

Kris didn't know what to say to that, so he kept silent. But he moved closer to Chanyeol, because he was suddenly freezing and Chanyeol was always really warm.

"We should probably get outta here," Chanyeol mused after a while.

"Probably."

Neither of them moved.

They just sat there in the grass, shoulder to shoulder, watching the traffic go by.

It wasn't a perfect moment, but it kind of was.

*