Chapter 7: Fried Chicken

A Fool For You

Kai cried out of joy and it meant one thing—the manager has returned. Chanyeol’s manager has returned with bags full of boxes of fried chicken. Kai loves chicken and he prefers it fried. Kyungsoo went out and Chanyeol followed. When they got out of the room, Kai, Suho, Xiumin, and Luhan were sprawled on the floor ready to devour the chicken.

“What are you doing here? Don’t you have your own share at your dorm?” Kai complained.

“But Sehun’s there!” Luhan countered.

“But there are two of you here!” Kai complained again, pointing at Xiumin and Luhan.

Suho, being the leader and the one who handles situations like this, butted in to stop the squabble. “Kai, there’s enough for everyone. You have one whole box to yourself,” Suho pointed out. Kai kept silent and secured his box of fried chicken.

Chanyeol and Kyungsoo sat on the floor along with the four. Chanyeol sat across Xiumin and then he noticed Baekhyun was not around. “Where’s Baekhyun?” Chanyeol asked. “He’s just went to our dorm,” Luhan answered.

Typical Baekhyun. I know he meant well but whenever he evades me, he makes me feel bad, Chanyeol thought. As Chanyeol grabbed a piece to eat, Xiumin suddenly asked, “So Chanyeol, how was the music store? Did you get anything?” Chanyeol knew there was more to that question and Xiumin was being careful not to slip since Suho was around. Suho was clearly eyeing on the two’s conversation.

Suho is good person but he hates it when we get into troubles or situations that might mean trouble. Besides we don’t want to give him a hard time by worrying about meaningless things, Chanyeol thought.

“Nope, I didn’t find anything worthwhile,” Chanyeol said.

“That’s strange. You never come empty-handed when you come out of a music store,” Suho then chimed in. Xiumin and Chanyeol exchanged glances.

“I didn’t actually get to look around at the music store because something came up,” Chanyeol decided to tell the truth. Well, half of the truth anyway. Everyone except Kai was now looking at Chanyeol. Kai was oblivious to the conversation taking place as he was enjoying his fried chicken, which was glazed with garlic and barbecue sauce.

“What happened?” Suho asked, now curious.

“Hey! Weren’t you with—oof!” Luhan started to ask but was stopped when Xiumin elbowed him in the chest.

Suho caught on and glanced at Xiumin and Chanyeol sideways. “Is there something I should know?” Suho asked sternly. Chanyeol remained silent. Xiumin knew he had to intervene.

“I bet it was nothing,” Xiumin said. Suho didn’t dare to ask further. Xiumin was the eldest and he rarely talked and when he does, they know he meant it.

Yet despite Xiumin’s effort to cover up the unsaid story, Kai uttered, “That still doesn’t explain why you were soaking wet when you got home.” Everyone fell silent and was looking at Kai. Xiumin and Chanyeol were glaring at him.

“What? It just came out of my mouth. I was listening, too, you know,” Kai explained as he felt the hair on his back standing up from the glares he was getting.

“Nah, let’s just forget it. I know you’d tell me if it was important,” Suho said as he tried to shrug off the issue. They continued eating and conversed as if the earlier conversation didn’t happen. When they were finished, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol started to clean up as Suho, Kai, and Luhan went inside to Suho’s room to goof off. Xiumin decided to stay behind and help with cleaning.

“Did you go to the music store with Sora?” Xiumin finally asked.

“No,” Chanyeol answered honestly.

“What? I thought you were going to the music store with Sora?,” Xiumin asked.

“You went out with Sora-noona?” Kyungsoo asked, with eyes wide open as he carefully placed the empty box of fried chicken in the trash bin. Chanyeol and Xiumin hushed him at the same time.

“They’ll hear you!” Chanyeol exclaimed.

“What? No, he didn’t go out with Sora. Why would he? He has Byul,” Xiumin pointed out.

“Sorry, I was just surprised,” Kyungsoo apologized. “So what brought on this quick progress?” Kyungsoo teased. Xiumin rolled his eyes.

“I didn’t ask her out, I just asked if I could go with her to the music store since she was planning to go there in the first place,” Chanyeol said.

“Nice move,” Kyungsoo complimented. Xiumin shook his head and asked, “So? What happened?”

“Well... we didn’t make it to the music store. Well, I did but she didn’t,” Chanyeol vaguely explained.

“Why?” Xiumin asked. Kyungsoo was fervently listening on.

“She kind of left me behind, said she left something, and then she just took off with any further explanation,” Chanyeol explained as he placed the dirty plates on the sink.

“That’s all?” Xiumin asked.

“That’s all,” Chanyeol said, feeling a bit guilty for not telling them the whole story.

But then Kyungsoo asked THE question, “I’m a bit confused here though. Are you hitting on Sora-noona? How about Byul then?” Chanyeol fell silent and Xiumin eyed him as they waited for an answer. Chanyeol just sighed as he started to wash the dishes.

“Chanyeol, are you hitting on Sora? We can’t afford another scandal,” Xiumin reminded.

“That’s exactly what manager-hyung said. And no, I’m not hitting on her,” Chanyeol said with his back against Xiumin and Kyungsoo.

“Then I don’t need to remind you twice,” Xiumin said as he walked away. Chanyeol called out to Xiumin in a hushed voice, “Minseok-hyung, do you have Sora-noona’s number?” It took a lot of guts for Chanyeol to ask that. Xiumin squinted his eyes at him and looked puzzled.

“No,” Xiumin answered calmly.

“I thought you were friends,” Chanyeol exclaimed.

“We are friends,” Xiumin said.

“But you don’t have her number? How do you communicate?” Chanyeol asked.

“Internet. The Coffee Club site,” Xiumin said as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

“Thanks for nothing, hyung,” Chanyeol said, as he slumped his shoulders. He looked disappointed.

“What do you need her number for anyway?” Xiumin asked as he crossed his arms in front of chest, and raised an eyebrow at Chanyeol.

“I just wanted to ask if she got home fine,” Chanyeol said. Again, it was the truth. But there was no reason to elaborate why he had to ask her.

Xiumin didn’t look convinced and stared at Chanyeol for a moments when he finally said, “I’ll send her an email and ask, not on your behalf, but because I also want to know if she got home fine.” Xiumin turned back and left without waiting for Chanyeol’s response.

“Chanyeol,” Kyungsoo called out as Xiumin was out of earshot, “It’s none of my business but since I’m the only one who knows about it, I’m telling you to be wise. Don’t do anything rash.”

“I know, Kyungsoo. Don’t worry, I won’t do anything foolish. You can count on me,” Chanyeol promised.