Chapter 6: His Story

A Fool For You

“Chanyeol, what the hell were you doing getting drenched in the rain?” Chanyeol’s manager scolded. He glanced at Chanyeol through the rear-view view mirror. Chanyeol was looking out the window and he opted not to answer. He knew he deserved the scolding so it was better to not to talk back.

“And who was that with you? And in broad daylight! In a train station! You know a lot of people follow you around--paparazzi, stalkers, you name it. Especially paparazzi! They’re itching to get some news out of the company, you know? Anyone could have taken a photo of you two,” Chanyeol’s manager continued, “What are you going to do if this comes out tomorrow? Worse, what if you catch a cold because of your actions? You can’t afford to get sick right now. You’ve have promotions and concerts ahead of you.”

“Yes, hyung. I’m sorry,” Chanyeol apologized softly.

Chanyeol’s manager looked at him again through the rear-view again. He knew the kid was sorry and he knew well enough what Chanyeol has gone through. He’s a good kid but when stubborn. “Chanyeol, you know I’m scolding you because I care, right?”

“Yes, hyung,” Chanyeol repeated as he continued to stare out the window. Being a celebrity was as difficult as being a manager; the only difference was that a celebrity was subject to scrutiny and they have to give up almost their entire lives to live up to the fans’ expectations.

Chanyeol suddenly looked up and said, “Hyung, can you please stop just right there for a while? I have to return this umbrella to the music store across the street.” Chanyeol’s manager heeded and thought it was better not to say anything. He parked the car as Chanyeol got out of the van. It only took a few moments for him to return to van. Chanyeol and his manager sat in silence during the whole trip to EXO’s dormitory. Chanyeol’s manager parked the car at the usual spot.

Chanyeol and his manager headed to EXO-K’s dormitory through the stairs. Chanyeol’s manager broke the silence, “Are you cold?” Chanyeol looked at him and beamed, “I’m freezing.” They both shook their heads and Chanyeol’s manager offered, “I bet you’re hungry with the stunt you did earlier.”

“I’m famished, hyung. I’d really love some wrapped beef, right now,” Chanyeol suggested.

“Ya! You don’t get any before with what you just pulled. Chicken will do,” Chanyeol’s manager countered.

“It was worth a try,” Chanyeol teased. They finally got to the dorm where EXO-K stayed. As soon as Chanyeol and his manager entered, Baekhyun, Kai, and Suho were in the living room and all eyes were on the two who just arrived. The three, who were clearly caught up with their conversation, bolted up to greet the manager.

“What happened? You’re all wet!” Baekhyun asked.

“Go get changed before you catch a cold,” the manager told Chanyeol. Chanyeol quietly obeyed and headed to his room.

“Where are Kyungsoo and Sehun?” Chanyeol’s manager asked. Suho replied, “Kyungsoo’s inside watching, as usual. Sehun’s at M’s dorm fooling around, as usual.” Chanyeol’s manager nodded at the response.

“Alright, since it’s raining—well, it just stopped—I’m still going out to buy some chicken for you guys,” Chanyeol’s manager said. The three hurrahed in unison at the good news; nothing beats chicken. “I’ll stop by M’s dorm and tell them I’m buying chicken,” Chanyeol’s manager added as he headed to the door to leave.

“Yes, hyung. Thank you!” Baekhyun, Suho, and Kai whole-heartedly said as they gratefully bowed to the manager. As soon as the manager closed the door behind him, Kai and Suho went back to what they were talking about earlier, but Baekhyun went to Chanyeol’s room.

He knocked before he opened the door. Chanyeol was just slipping on a dry shirt when he entered. Kyungsoo was also in the room, lying comfortably on his bed with his headphones plugged to his ears, while watching a movie on his tablet. Baekhyun carefully sat on the side of the bed Kyungsoo was lying on. He waited for Chanyeol to finish changing, his eyes following Chanyeol. When Baekhyun felt it was finally the right time to bring it up, he asked, “So what happened? Why were you soaking wet when you got back?”

Chanyeol sat on the side of the other bed as he dried his hair with a towel. He looked up at Baekhyun, who was across him and answer, “I got caught in the rain. That’s all.” Baekhyun could sense he was not telling him everything. He knew Chanyeol wasn’t this careless—he’s clumsy but he’s not careless.

“Who gets soaked in the rain when you were practically surrounded by stores? Hey, weren’t you at the music store?” Baekhyun pried on.

“Yeah, I was... but,” Chanyeol hesitated.

“Hey come on! I can clearly tell that you’re not telling me everything! Tell me! You know it hurts my feelings when you don’t tell me things. It’s as if you don’t trust me. Fine, I won’t force you if don’t want to tell me,” Baekhyun finally blurted and threw him the nearby pillow, which landed on Chanyeol’s face. Chanyeol stayed quiet then lied on the bed he was sitting on. He sighed as he looked at the ceiling. He knew Baekhyun’s not going to stop until he gave him a valid reason.

“There was... it was someone,” Chanyeol confessed, still staring at the ceiling. Baekhyun raised an eyebrow at what he just said. If it was someone, then he definitely knew who it could be. He just sighed and stared at Chanyeol. It wasn’t his place to reprimand Chanyeol. He knew Chanyeol can handle his own life just fine.

Baekhyun stood up without saying anything. He headed to the door and before he opened the door, he reminded Chanyeol, “Han Byul called. She said you were supposed to meet up with her at lunch but you didn’t show up.” Chanyeol didn’t move nor answer.

“Chanyeol,” Baekhyun called out to him softly but with definite hint of stern as if reminding him of something.

“I know, Baekhyun. I know,” Chanyeol mumbled as he turned to his side, letting his back face Baekhyun. Baekhyun closed the door behind when went out of the room and left Chanyeol to reflect on his actions.

Kyungsoo looked to his side to look at Chanyeol, whose back was facing against him. Kyungsoo was actually listening to whole conversation.  Kyungsoo knew what Baekhyun meant. And he knew Chanyeol knew what Baekhyun meant. Both of them could read between the lines. And Chanyeol definitely knew the weight of Baekhyun’s unsaid words.