Chapter 1: How They Met

A Fool For You

It all started one fine day in November. It was a day when the company decided we can have a few days off.  We were all busy amidst practicing and preparing for the year-end concerts that we were so happy with the good news. In the music industry, we’re still considered rookies despite the achievements we’ve attained in a short span of time. So in order for our seniors and the public to acknowledge us, we never lose sight that we are rookies and always do our best. Well, anyway, back to the story.

We were overjoyed with the deserved day offs, so we decided on several separate things to do. We had a lot plans in mind. Jongin wanted to go home to see his beloved dogs. Sehun wanted to sleep. Xiumin just wanted to hang out and drink coffee. Yada yada yada. I just wanted to catch up on my movies. But Chanyeol had a different idea. He wanted to go visit his dad at his dad’s live cafe. He asked me and Baekhyun—pestered us actually—to go with him. I gave in and so did Baekhyun. I could use a little sunlight. Besides, I wanted Chanyeol to shut up. And Baekhyun? Well, I guess he doesn’t have any plans with his girlfriend since she’s busy with her group’s concert tour.

Chanyeol called his dad and we were set for lunch at the live cafe. Chanyeol loves that place as much as he loves his dad. We got to the live cafe sometime after 11 o’clock in the morning. Ah, the live cafe. I’ve always liked its name, 좋은세상만들기, which means to make a good world. Staring at the cafe from the outside, it felt like I was looking at a reflection of Chanyeol’s dad’s soul. Or maybe even a shard of Chanyeol’s. True to its name, it was a great place where people met and shared their love for music and food. Little did we know that on that day we would meet someone who would leave a mark on our lives especially on Chanyeol'

No one greeted us as we let ourselves in the cafe so we made ourselves comfortable. The live cafe was usually closed during daylight but Mr. Park must have let the entrance open for us. There was no one else in the cafe but we could definitely smell something delicious from the kitchen.

A few minutes later the bell placed above the entrance ringed. Someone entered the cafe and we could tell from the humming that it wasn’t Mr. Park. But rather, it was a woman, or maybe just a girl. We couldn’t tell at that time because we couldn’t see her face clearly from where we were sitting. The sunlight streaming through the glass was blinding us. Cliché, right? But we could tell that she was short.

She perhaps has realized that the three of us were sitting at one of tables and staring at her because she stood frozen at the doorstep with wide open while looking at us—Chanyeol, Baekhyun, me, and then Chanyeol again. We had no idea what was going on her head that time but the three of us men were definitely on the same wavelength. We were afraid one of those fans had followed us again. I commend their eagerness really but most of the time, I just want them to leave me, all of us, alone. Chanyeol was the one brave enough to break the ice.

He cleared his throat and started, “Hello! The cafe is actually still closed. You can come back later during opening hours.”

She was looking at Chanyeol as if trying to make out what he was telling her. She stuttered for a moment and then said, “No.”

And then there at that very moment we decided that she was actually one of those fervent fans. We never really knew how to deal with their kind. I tried to rack my brain for what to do with situations like this but I sat there frozen. I was never good with strangers. So I just watched Chanyeol and Baekhyun, who were panicking as calmly as possible from thinking of ways to handle the situation.

“No?” Chanyeol repeated.

“Yes, no. I mean, no. No.” She was stuttering again, trying to find the right words to say while she flailed her arms but Baekhyun cut her off. “Miss, the cafe is closed. We’d appreciate if you leave. If you want our pictures taken and our autograph, it’s alright. We’ll give it to you just don’t do this again, okay?”

That must have ticked her off because she let out a “HUH?” and suddenly she was laughing out loud and shaking her head. We didn’t see that coming. As she laughed, she headed over towards us and Chanyeol stood up to stop her before she could get any closer. It was that moment that we realized she was a woman who was really really short. Chanyeol towered over her. “Miss, I don’t know who you are but that cafe is closed right now. Once the cafe is open later, you’re welcome to come back and stay,” Chanyeol politely said.

It was her turn to look confused.

“We really appreciate the love and support you give us but if you really want to support us, you should also know how to use your time wisely and also let us alone during private times like this,” Chanyeol continued and he flashed her one his swoon-over-me smile.

She stared at him for a moment, then looked at Baekhyun, then at me, then stared back at Chanyeol before she smiled back with an eyebrow raised and said, “Cute. Park Chanyeol. Sshi,” the way she said –sshi as if she meant to mock him, “I think you’re mistaken. I...”

“Ah Chanyeol!” a voice came out from the kitchen. Mr. Park came out holding dishes.

“Dad? You were here all the time?” Chanyeol asked.

“Of course. I was at the back, cooking lunch.”

“But I called out earlier and you didn’t answer. I thought you went out for a while.”

“Nonsense! I knew you were here with all the noise you guys were making.” He looked at Chanyeol then at the girl, “Oh, I see you’ve met my son and his friends. They’re famous. They’re everywhere so you probably already know their names,” Mr. Park jokingly said. “Nonetheless, that’s Chanyeol, my son. Over there are Do Kyungsoo and Byun Baekhyun. Kids, meet Ma Sora. She’s a part-timer here who just started last week. Sora, can you please help me with the kitchen?”

“Ah yes, Mr. Park,” Sora replied. Chanyeol stepped out of her way as she headed towards the kitchen.

I could tell that Baekhyun and Chanyeol were embarrassed. I could see Chanyeol’s ears turning red. Chanyeol turned around slowly and we looked at each other with that look that says what-the--just-happened. Chanyeol mouthed, “She works here?” and buried his face in his hands. Baekhyun pressed his lips and said, “Well, that was embarrassing.”

“You don’t say,” I chuckled.