Polaroid

Breathing Shadows Like An Underdog.

"Oh, Krystal, do you have time tonight? We were planning to go watch a movie," 

Krystal raised her head and looked at me. Since I was quite busy with Myungsoo, I haven't done anything with her for the past month and she must have felt lonely, since Sulli wasn't around anymore. I wondered if she is still struggling. 

A smile lit up Krystal's face and she nodded. "Sure, which one?"

"We don't know. We haven't decided, yet,"

"Well, I heard there is that new Star wars movie," she suggested. Myungsoo nodded and raised his hand. 

"I'm always in for Star Wars," he chuckled. I laughed, seeing Krystal blush upon his reaction. I nodded too and looked at my phone. It was getting late in the afternoon and I remembered that I still had to pass by the police station to pick something up. 

All of a sudden, I felt goosebumps when I thought back about what had happened there. Ever since what Sulli told me about Woohyun, I've started to hesitate about the fact if we really did catch them all. It seemed too easy and too fast. What if there was one more person behind this all? What if he's still there outside, waiting to kill me?

I shivered and looked at Krystal and Myungsoo who were engaged into a conversation with each other. Like normal people who didn't fear for their lives. No, I shouldn't be like that. I shouldn't be having these thoughts. They caught them all. It's time that I should move on from this and forget all what Sulli had said. Speaking of her, I haven't seen her and Jinyoung around lately. Where did they both go? The last time we talked was like two weeks ago... And somehow, it doesn't make me feel comfortable. Is it because he has Sulli now that he doesn't come around anymore? That she is much more fun? All of a sudden, I fell into a bad mood and noticed that I have been thinking about things a bit too long. I should hurry to the police office now. 

"Excuse me, but I'm going to leave early," I told them, interrupting their conversation. They both looked at me.

"Where are you going?" Krystal asked me. 

"To the police office to pick up some stuff,"

"Oh, do you want me to go with you?" She turned around to grab her jacket, but I stopped her. 

"No, it's alright. I don't think they'll appreciate if I brought people," I told her and she slowly nodded, looking a bit disappointed.  

"Do you want me to drive you there? The weather looks bad and it seems like it will rain," he told me, as he looked outside. I shook my head and felt like this was one of those moments, which I needed space with no one around. Myungsoo looked worried but I gave him a smile that I was alright. 

I stood up and gave Krystal a hug before saying goodbye to Myungsoo.

As soon as I walked out the shop, rain started to pour on me. I rolled my eyes and put a hand above my head. How typical. I hurried myself towards a bus stop and went to stand underneath, to shelter myself from the rain. 

It seemed as if I had just missed the bus, as the next one would only come after 15 minutes. I puffed up my cheeks and sat down on the bench behind me. The sky began to look dark and I wondered if it would start to storm. 

Suddenly, I heard someone pant next to me. I looked up and saw Myungsoo standing with his hair all wet. He didn't say anything and just raised his hand with my bag. 

Damn... Did I just forget my bag?

Gratefully, I grabbed my bag from him, as he chuckled. "You seem to be forgetful," he told me. "You sure don't want me to bring you?"

I shook my head, again and patted the raindrops from his shoulder. "No, I'm fine, really. You should head back or you might catch a cold like this," I told him. He smiled and shook his head. 

"Alright, mom," he teased. "Only if you would be careful,"

I raised an eyebrow and laughed at him. "Fine,"

He laughed shortly and stepped towards me. I wanted to step back, but he wrapped his arms around my back and pressed me against him. 

"Be careful," he muttered in my ear. Surprised because of him, I didn't say anything and stiffened in his embrace. He never hugged me before. Why is he like this?

He grabbed my shoulders and pushed me back to look into my eyes. "You seemed like you had a hard time, so I thought a hug might comfort you," he told me. 

I blushed and smiled awkwardly. Oh...

The bus had arrived and I looked at Myungsoo. "Thanks," 

He nodded and turned around as I stepped in. We waved each other goodbye, as the bus started to drive, until I couldn't see him anymore. I turned myself to the back of the bus and smiled to myself. Really... Myungsoo... I clutched my bag tightly against my stomach and went to find a seat. I sat down next to a lady and saw that another girl had followed me in. She looked shortly at me, before turning away. She was tall and pale, but very beautiful and skinny.  And somehow looked a bit familiar to me. Was she a television star? Or an idol? I could swear I have seen her before. 

I looked out of the window, hoping it would help me remember. Her brown long hair. Sweeping in the air. Her features... I saw them before!

She was that one girl in the coffee shop when Myungsoo started his first day of work. She sat there in a corner, looking a bit lonely. I remembered that I told myself that she looked a bit like Namjoo, my childhood friend. Her eyes resembled hers a lot and the way how she acted was just like her. Timid and distant, but somehow warm from the way she looks at people. There were little people who had those kind of effects. 

I turned back to the girl and saw that the bus had stopped and she was about to get off. I quickly stood up and followed her out. My curiosity burnt me. I wanted to get to know her. 

Rain poured down on me again, as I blinked my eyes to see clearly. It had started to rain very heavily and I regretted that I followed her out. The police office was still one bus stop far from where I was now. The girl in front of me walked faster and turned left around the corner. I frowned and ran after her. When I turned around the corner, I saw a glimpse of her hair disappearing behind a door. I quickly followed her and entered through the door. As soon as  I closed it, there was darkness, and a strange scent. From afar,  I saw little lights slowly light up a room and that girl standing in front of it. She was standing in an empty room and as the room was enlightened gradually, I started to notice the state of the room. There were lots of ashes and dust on the wooden floor. Walls having strange black marks and torn up wallpapers. I wondered if this room had caught fire in the past.

Slowly, I entered the room with the floor cracking underneath my feet. Hearing sounds behind her, she turned her around and looked at me with a surprised expression. 

I looked at her and stuck out my hand. "I'm sorry, I didn't want to scare you,"

She didn't say anything and just looked at me. I noticed that she was holding something in between her hands. Seeing me stare at her hands, she rapidly turned herself around and grabbed a candle from behind her. 

Turning back to me, she showed me the thing she was holding. It was a polaroid card, with the back facing me, so I couldn't see what kind of picture it was. 

"Wait," I told her. 

Without saying anything, she lifted the candle and began to burn the edge of the polaroid card. It caught fire and spread amazingly fast around it. Why is she burning it?

Holding the burning card up, she tilted her head sideways and looked at me with her dull eyes. She looked as if she was expecting something from me. 

Not knowing what to say, I wanted to warn her that it was dangerous to hold the card for so long in her hands. The flame started to get to her fingers and I ran towards her, to hit the card out of her hand. When my hand touched her skin, it felt ice cold. 

At that moment, when I wanted to turn towards her, she disappeared like smoke. The candles went out and before I knew it, I was left alone in that room. The warmth that was in that room before, was replaced by a cold draft when the door behind me opened. 

There were two people standing in the doorway, looking just as surprised as I was when I recognized them. 

 

 


Thank you for reading !! You guys rock ! 

Until the next one ! haha