Chapter 9

Wo Bu Ai NiLe (I Don't Love You)

Diana's band began gaining success and it was agreed that Stay would be their next single. They shot an MV for it which went right into regular rotation on MTV. Ironically, because of a general lack of androgynous female artists, Stay was often programmed into a series of MVs by gender-bending musicians. Of course, no such segment was complete without the inclusion of Zhang Yun Jing. Her princely charms were still massively popular thanks to the success of  Wo Bu Ai NiLe, even though both media and die-hard fans were uncertain of the new direction she was headed in. Acoustic recordings had already made their way onto YouTube, so fans were starting to get a taste of the new instrumental songs.

In the interim, Diana had to put up with seeing her band's MV juxtaposed next to her ex's latest hit.

Luckily, when they'd been an item, little info had been spread about their coupling. Jing was a beacon for the Gay press, but she'd managed to pull a Beyoncé, keeping her intimate relationships out of the media. Diana could just imagine the field day to be had if the public started making connections between Stay and Wo Bu Ai NiLe.

 

Diana was having an informal vocal practice in her den with 2 of her bandmates who sang as a slate in the upper register. She, Qiao (the strings expert) and Qiu Qiu (who often backed up Diana's lead vocals) were just wrapping up when Diana's doorbell rang.

Not thinking, Diana yanked open her door without first looking through the peephole. Next thing she knew, she was standing face to face with none other than Jing. Her heart leaped into and it took all her strength to not let it come tumbling out of , which she was sure was hanging agape.

From her vantage point, Qiao could see past Diana's shoulder and said, "Oh-oh," to Qiu Qiu. In a flash, they both had their backpacks and sneakers on and crowded Diana at the door. Qiu Qiu held Diana's shoulder on her way out and said, "Call us if you need to talk later." Diana nodded. Jing attempted a vague smile at the girls as they hurried past. Qiu Qiu glared at Jing as she shoved past her on the doorstep. Qiao didn't even give her that courtesy.

Jing's downcast eyes made Diana want to hug the life out of her. Instead, she mumbled,

"Did you want to come in, or...?"

"Please," Jing's voice was like a scolded child's.

 

Jing took in the familiar decor of Diana's den. Not much had changed in the months she hadn't seen it, including a small framed photo of herself on the window sill. She breathed in the ambient scent and it was exactly as her memories had preserved it. It smelled of...Diana. A warm, comforting cocktail of hair product, body lotion, fabric softener and oh, that soft sweet-smelling skin...

She stood in the middle of the room, awkwardly not knowing if it was okay to sit. As if on cue, Diana's voice cut through her awkwardness.

"You can have a seat, you know."

Jing bowed her head slightly and sat as far into the corner of the couch as she could manage.

Diana thought it odd how someone who used to exude so much confidence now sat so small and timidly insignificant, huddled into her sofa. She longed to put her arms around her and never let go.