Chapter 1

Wo Bu Ai NiLe (I Don't Love You)

Diana's eyes twinkled as she watched her girlfriend perform on the outdoor stage. She was so proud to see her in front of so many adoring young female fans. She was a role model to a lot of teenagers who were trying to be true to themselves, triumphing (or trying to) against a homophobic and chauvinist society.

Jing was an inspiration to Diana too, who admired people who fought to be themselves no matter who didn't like it.

Growing up in Canada, Diana was pretty open with her friends and family about who she was and what made her tick. Though she was Taiwanese, she was far less entrenched in the traditions of her birth country than Jing was. Jing had more of a struggle, so Diana was proud of her. She had achieved musical success writing songs about loving women. She'd insisted on wearing her hair short when barely any female pop-stars dared to. She was frank in TV and magazine interviews about being gay.

But Diana could never understand what a true Taiwanese girl might feel like with all of that weighing on her back her whole life. In fact, Jing was envious of Diana's situation. Jing wanted people to stop asking her to defend her choices in her songwriting and instead simply LISTEN to the songs. The more success she had in her career, the more people tried to get into her personal life.

She hid it well, but Jing was near the end of her rope. She wanted out. She wished she weren't gay. Her family only tolerated her because she was making more money than they were. They tolerated Diana partaking in family celebrations but wished Jing would stop inviting her. She wasn't part of their family and never would be. Jing's mom continued asking handsome boys to take her daughter on dates, even years after Jing announced she was a lesbian.

Jing was recently being molded into 'cute hetero-girl' by her record company after releasing 3 successful CDs dressing the way she dressed. Now they kept trying to convince her to put extensions in her short hair. Her old wardrobe specialist had been "let go" and replaced with a very straight designer who kept putting Jing in high heeled boots and fishnet stockings. She longed for her torn jeans and worn t-shirts. She longed for alone-time. She longed to just be alone. Why wouldn't they all just leave her alone?

 

Backstage, after Jing's performance, she was fiddling with a guitar part of a song she'd been working on. Her manager wanted her out and mingling with the media and with fans but all she wanted to do was unwind by herself in the dressing room.

I don't have the heart to say it Jing sang in a voice low enough that only she could hear it. She jotted the new lyrics down and continued...

I do not love you...oh...when tears become weak, saying I love you can't change --

Diana barged in and Jing lost her train of thought. Startled, she snapped closed her song notebook.

"Heyyyy..." Diana called as she cradled Jing's head in a hug.

Jing smiled and found comfort in those arms, but only because she so longed to be comforted.

Actually, she was embarrassed that Diana had interrupted her sad songwriting. It was the last song in the world she'd wanted her girlfriend to overhear, even though, really, it was about her.

Diana sensed Jing's discontent but couldn't figure out the problem.

"You okay, pretty girl?" she asked.

Jing only sighed. She wanted to confide in her girlfriend but just couldn't. She couldn't tell her all she had to say without ruining Diana's positive image of her.

 

This was too much. Too much pressure to be everyone's poster girl. Young fans loved her for her...differences. Management hated her...differences. They made the media "uncomfortable". Stop telling people you're gay - you're alienating potential straight audiences, a record company so-and-so had actually had the nerve to say to her recently.

"Just stop," Jing mumbled nearly inaudibly.

"What?" Diana was confused.

"Sorry," Jing said, realizing her thoughts had caused her to speak her distaste aloud.

Diana tried to give her a peck on the mouth but Jing absent-mindedly turned her cheek. Diana didn't know what was up but she hugged her girlfriend regardless. Jing wanted to cry. Instead she it down like unseasoned tofu and let her girlfriend hold her.