chapter eight

〈 ♞ 〉NIGHT CIRCUS
NC UNLIMITED©
--------------- OFFICIAL YOUTUBE CHANNEL ---------------
NC UNLIMITED
HOMEVideosPlaylistsChannelsDiscussionsAbout
-
-
[PERF.] Kieow, Jae, Sookhyun - Money Money Money
301+ Views1 hour ago
Performance by Kieow, Jae, and Sookhyun ft. Shiin & Minseok
(Kieow as Yixuan, Jae as Yibo, Sookhyun as Sungjoo)
(Shiin as Wenhan, Minseok as Seungyoun)

(based on who comes to front and center in order:
Jae then Sookhyun, Minseok then Shiin, then Kieow)
-
 
 
02 JUNE 2015
12:32 PM
THE EIGHTH CHAPTER
 
Eyes wide, Suhwan watches as the video plays in front of him for the fifth time. Nothing ever really keeps his attention long, except when it comes to training, but he can’t stop watching the progress his band mates have made in the span of a few months. Of course, Jaesun, Seungheon, and Sookhyun were always better at dancing than he was, but it looks like they’re more confident in this video than in any other recording of them thus far. It’s captivating.

Even their dancing mentor Minseok and trainee friend Shinsuke look good in the video, needing both of them to complete the quintet since he opted out of it. He doesn’t think he can pull off the charisma that his friends can when they dance. He still has a lot of work to do to sharpen the movements of his arms.

Staring blankly at the screen as the video ends, he replays it, absently rubbing at his upper arm and feeling the muscles there. Maybe if he spends extra hours in the practice room, he’ll be able to be a fifth of the way where Jaesun is with dancing. He jumps when he feels an arm rest itself across his shoulders.

“We look good, right?” Seungheon asks, voice quiet as he takes another gulp of his water. He was in the recording room earlier, so maybe he was singing or rapping, Suhwan thinks as he eyes the water bottle in favor of staring at the elder. “You should’ve danced with us with Jiwool. Then it would be purely Night Circus members.”

Suhwan immediately shakes his head, feeling heat rush to his cheeks before staring back at the computer, video long over by now. Jiwool and Min’s video comes up as one of the suggested videos, but he’s already watched theirs more times than he can remember. He looks up at the NC UNLIMITED logo at the top of the screen. “I’m not as good,” he softly says, the pointer of the mouse moving all over the screen as he distracts himself with it, “It would throw the video off.” He doesn’t see Seungheon’s frown through the screen, too absorbed in his own thoughts because he really doesn’t think he has the charisma to pull off dancing. Maybe with singing he can, at least that’s what Minkyung always tells him after their lessons together.

“Having you in the video won’t throw it off,” Seungheon says, leaning down and trying to catch his gaze. Suhwan lets him for a few seconds before looking down again to the keyboard, reaching out to trace the keys this time. “It would only make it better.”

Suhwan doesn’t look up, his heart plummeting because he doesn’t think that’s true.

“Soo,” Seungheon calls out, causing Suhwan to feel light again at the nickname. “Soo, your presence in the video would only make it better because then Jae, Sookhyun, and I would be dancing with our brother, one of our closest friends.”

Suhwan looks up at him with wide eyes, and it makes a smile form on Seungheon’s lips. “What?”

“We’re going to be spending almost every day together in the near future,” Seungheon explains, looking over to press play on their dance video, “How could you think we wouldn’t want you in the video? We want you in every video with us.”

“But I’m not as good,” Suhwan says, looking away again to see Jaesun coming up to the screen before standing in the front and dancing. He’s quickly mesmerized, watching as Minseok and Shinsuke do a good job as well dancing with his band mates. It doesn’t click that Minseok was the one who taught all of them these dance moves in the first place.

“Practice makes everything better,” Seungheon counters back, straightening up away from him. But his arm doesn’t leave Suhwan’s shoulders, so he stays put, reaching out to click on a different video instead. It’s one of UNIQ’s videos, and he watches as they sing and perform ‘Born to Fight.’ “Tell Soo here that he’s awesome.”

“Suhwan, you’re awesome.”

Suhwan looks up at the new voice, glancing back briefly to see Hyemi staring down at him seriously, and he quickly looks away again. The music video in front of him is interesting, but it doesn’t keep his attention for long, especially when Hyemi is speaking again.

“What’s wrong?”

And he doesn’t really have to answer because Seungheon is speaking for him.

“I was telling him that having him in our recent video wouldn’t throw it off. He thinks he’s not good enough to be in it– Ow!”

Suhwan jumps when the arm across his shoulders recoils and lightly slaps him on the neck. He looks behind him frightened, seeing Seungheon rubbing his arm with a frown on his face and Hyemi looking at him annoyed with her fist out. He whimpers at the sight before him.

“You don’t just say that!” Hyemi exclaims, taking a deep breath to calm herself. She glares at Seungheon. “You still have no tact with words.”

“I do too! You cut me off before I finished!”

“Be quiet,” Hyemi hisses before looking down to Suhwan who’s still staring up at them scared. Her gaze softens at the sight. “Suhwan, you’re working just as hard as the rest of us.” She’s opening her arms all of a sudden and Suhwan squeaks at the sudden hug, freezing at the attention. “What makes you think otherwise?”

The affection seems sudden and Suhwan isn’t all that comfortable with hers yet like he is with Sookhyun’s, and then Seungheon’s on occasion, but he feels himself melting into the embrace. He leans against her before he’s being turned a bit so he can see Seungheon smiling down at him as well. Embarrassed, he turns to bury his face in Hyemi’s chest, until he realizes that’s probably highly inappropriate. He blushes a bright red before he tries to turn away again – he feels like he’s not going anywhere in life – only for Hyemi to keep him in place and rub his back like his mother would do when he was younger.

“I can probably think of a way to help you with your dancing,” Hyemi softly says, Suhwan feeling the vibrations through her chest, “Do you want to know? You’ll probably become as good of a dancer as Seungheon here, maybe even better.”

Suhwan hears the words, but he doesn’t believe them, choosing to stay quiet as she continues to rub his back. It’s soothing, calming his racing heart.

“Min has gotten better with her dancing,” Hyemi comments, “You know she’s at the same level as you or worse.”

Suhwan nods his acknowledgment, hearing other people entering the practice room.

“Her secret is wearing a hat,” Hyemi divulges, placing her hands on his shoulders and gently pushing him away. She looks him in the eyes, but he quickly looks away to see Seungheon smiling at their new companions. “Maybe it’s yours too,” she says, “You’re just as good as the rest of us, Suhwan. You’re going to become great.”

“You just need to realize it.”

Seungheon is smiling when Suhwan turns to look at him, mesmerized by how gentle it looks, before he hears shuffling and turns to look around Hyemi to see who’s making all the noise. He doesn’t see Hyemi and Seungheon sharing a look over his distraction, and he almost misses the way Hyemi runs gentle fingers through his hair.

“We believe in you, okay? You’re our strength.”

The words have Suhwan looking up, eyes wide to see Hyemi staring at him with a look similar to his mother’s when he was a child. He looks to Seungheon surprised, but then the rest of their group is coming up to them, masks in place on their faces. Now, he’s confused.

“What’s going on?” Seungheon questions, eyeing all of them weirdly, “Why are you still wearing those masks?”

Jiwool sighs, messing with the long sleeves of her shirt. “The CEO called us, saying we should take a break from practice for the next week.”

“What?” Hyemi’s brows are furrowed, looking to the other girl confused, before turning and detaching herself from Suhwan to look at Jaesun. “Why?”

Shrugging, Jaesun gestures to the rest of the group to show they didn’t have any of their usual practice gear with them. They realize belatedly that Min and Jiwool have the EXO symbol on their masks, courtesy from Junmyeon, and Sookhyun has scrawled VIXX on his to match the crowd. “That MERS outbreak,” he explains, “It’s been confirmed today that two people have already died.”

“Even if it hasn’t affected young adults, the CEO wants all of us to stay away from this place so she can disinfect the entire building,” Jiwool continues, looking down to Min next to her, “CEO wants us to be more careful. Don’t go to Samsung Medical Center, but call her or the other CEO if one of us starts getting a cough or fever.”

“I’m going back home,” Min says, voice soft. She looks apologetic, but they understand, Sookhyun bringing an arm up to wrap around her shoulders and move in close to her. “I’m going to get a check-up over there. I’ll be back by the end of the week.”

Seungheon is surprised by the news, looking from her to the rest of the group wearing masks. “So,” he says, trying to understand, “We’re all taking a break from training?” He watches as Sookhyun nods. “What are we supposed to do in our spare time then? We’re debuting in four months!”

Jaesun sighs, shaking his head. “There’s nothing we can do about it. Our top priority right now is to make sure we don’t contract the disease and spread it.”

“And don’t die from it,” Min adds with an appropriate, curt nod.

“How reassuring,” Hyemi drawls while looking at all of them. Closing her eyes, she sighs as she shakes her head. “It can’t be helped though.” She looks back to Suhwan. “Our health is important for debut.”

There’s a lull in conversation between them, Min playing with Sookhyun’s fingers on her shoulder, and something catches his attention. Suhwan has gone back to playing around with the computer, somehow accidentally pressing the back arrow at the top of the screen, and it’s the video they recorded a week ago.

It catches their attentions, hearing the beats and watching them play around, before the real choreography comes on. Jiwool instantly moves to the beats, muscles already having this dance memorized, as Jaesun does the same. It makes Suhwan turn around at the shuffling and he watches as the main dancers of their group perform the choreography to the song. It’s like there’s a mirror between the two dancers and they’re each other’s reflections.

There’s no barrier between any of them, but Sookhyun feels like there is one between them and Hyemi, Seungheon, and Suhwan. They don’t have masks on and it makes him feel nervous to reach out and touch his closest friend, so he doesn’t. He clings on tighter to Min instead. “I think it would’ve been cool to have you dance with us,” he says, reaching up to fix the mask on his face, “I would’ve performed it with my closest friend.”

Suhwan opens his mouth to protest, but it dies in his throat, his mouth closing as he repeats Sookhyun’s words in his head.

“We’d feel more complete and then Minseok-hyung would be our fifth member.”

“Shi was pretty good though,” Jiwool comments, eyes turning into slight crescents to show her smile, “He’s getting better too.” She pulls at her mask, letting cool air enter instead of breathing harshly through the fabric. “But Suhwan in it would’ve been cool.”

Min nods her agreement before looking to her phone, feeling it buzz in her hands. Looking down, Suhwan can see an odd picture of– Who is that? He looks up to her when she slides her thumb across the screen. “I texted him earlier, but I guess he’s free now. I’ll be right back.”

They watch her leave, Jaesun already in front of the mirror practicing, and Suhwan looks up when Hyemi sighs and shakes her head. “I don’t want to say it doesn’t worry me,” she says, the others minus Jaesun looking to her, “But with the impressive streak of her friends, it worries me.”

“Min isn’t going to leave permanently,” Jiwool argues back, glaring at her, “You know that.”

“But we don’t know what goes on in her head.”

It becomes silent after that, Jaesun finally walking back to them at their words. Hyemi is looking at him, a quiet question in her eyes, and he shrugs. “I try not to get too involved with that.”

Sookhyun and Suhwan are still quiet, both of them watching their older band mates argue about Min’s position, and they’re the first to notice her walking back into the room. For some reason, it makes Sookhyun’s heart swell, quickly walking up to her and giving her a hug, stopping her in her tracks. She releases a surprised squeak at the action, looping her arms around his waist in shock – he knows she talked to Lu Han again – and the rest look apologetic, Hyemi turning back to Suhwan even though it feels like her words are directed to Jiwool.

“I want to believe she isn’t going to leave permanently,” she whispers, Jiwool looking at her conflicted, “I don’t want her to. But if she does, I don’t know.” She frowns, unhappy with the uncertainty already surrounding their group.

“We’re going to be okay regardless,” Seungheon softly says, hoping to cheer everyone up.

There’s a collective round of resigned sighs before Min is walking back to them with Sookhyun clinging onto her. She gives them a weird look before looking to Jiwool. “So, you-know-who called me,” she starts off, running fingers through her hair in embarrassment. She knows they probably know it was Lu Han who called her, but she always tries to be strangely discrete about it. “Minseok – ah, Xiumin – keeps telling him that Junma won’t stop asking about you.” It was always confusing when their dance trainer’s name is the same name as one of her best friends.

Jiwool visibly shakes at the words, now looking a bit miffed with the situation. “His name is Junmyeon, unnie! Stop calling him that!”

“It slips up!” Min shrieks in defense, but she looks apologetic. “Anyways, yeah. He’s a little persistent bundle of… awkward.”

Another sigh is heard, and they’re surprised to see Hyemi covering her eyes and shaking her head. “He sounds like Minho, the annoying brat.”

“It’s not my fault!” Jiwool counters back, sighing as she takes out her phone to see messages of varying degrees on her phone. “Ever since I said I’d see him again and actually talk to him, he’s been crazy nonstop.”

“Minho is the same way,” Hyemi mutters, glaring at her bag across the room. “But even if I do talk to him and see him whenever we can, it doesn’t make much of a difference.”

“I’m pretty sure it’s because Jiwool’s breaking under the Junmen pressure,” Min says thoughtfully, texting someone on her phone, “By the way, the CEOs said something about having chosen a face and the leaders, or they’re in the process of choosing them. Soon.” But really, only Hyemi hears her because Jiwool is still trying to get her ex-boyfriend’s name straight in Min’s head.

“It’s Junmyeon, unnie!”

“At least I get the first part right.”

“Obviously,” Seungheon speaks up, laughing at all of them, “This seems to be a woman problem. We’ll leave you three to it.” He reaches out to pull Suhwan up from the chair but flinches when a phone rings and it’s Jaesun’s this time.

Jaesun doesn’t even get a word in before they can hear a loud voice echoing from the device. He groans a minute later. “Oh my God, Hakyeon.”

“Okay,” Seungheon drawls out, looking at the other weirdly before shrugging, “It’s a woman and Jaesun problem.” He looks to the two youngest. “Let’s go.”

But Sookhyun doesn’t want to leave and Suhwan wants a mask.

Seungheon sighs in resignation, sitting in the middle of the practice room with his arms and legs crossed while the girls talk with Suhwan and Sookhyun next to them. He ignores Jaesun arguing with Hakyeon over the phone and Jiwool flushing red every time she looks down when she receives a text. He doesn’t know what’s going on with them, but he’s glad he doesn’t have whatever problems they might have with their personal lives.
 
 
co-author's note: UNIQ IS AMAZING I JUST-- anyways yeah. shiin is in the video above. i hope my descriptions of the guys weren't too confusing for the video? just ask me for clarification if you need it!

question of the day: do you guys want me to do a 'half' chapter for the next one? it's going to be 'chapter eight point five' and it's going to show each of our characters doing whatever they do on their days off. it'll be like the bonus section of the fifth chapter but probably longer. let me know what you think? (i want to write min in beijing otl, but i want your opinions!)

question of the day 2.0: okay so. leave comments below on who you want as the leaders of the group! one boy and one girl! if you don't want to leave comments... leave a message on my wall or pm me? otl i thought it'd be fancier but.... sorry ;;

ALSO. I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS: do you want me to create a chapter for the staff members??? ;u;


updated: september 8, 2015
created by -catalyst