Chapter 1

Husbands With Benefits

It was a mistake, a horrible nightmare. At least, that’s what Lee Jinki told himself when he woke up that morning, his head pounding, his waist tightly wrapped in another male’s arms, and a thin wedding band on his ring finger.

“I shouldn’t have drunk so much.” He groaned, holding his head in one hand as he slowly sat up, only to widen his eyes in surprise when his blanket dropped from him to reveal his completely torso. Carefully, so he wouldn’t wake the male that he slept with, Jinki lifted his blanket and with his face pale, he turned to the male sleeping beside him, “I met you, got married to you, and lost my ity to you all in one night.”

Kim Jonghyun merely tightened his arms around Jinki’s waist, grinning slightly as he slept. His silver hair sprayed onto the pillow, Jinki couldn’t help but marvel at the male’s beauty and what seemed to be innocence. Jonghyun’s face was chiseled, his jaw strong, and his eyes wide, and his figure wasn’t half bad, either. It was no wonder Jinki found himself to be so drawn to him last night.

Jinki had simply stepped into a club downtown, slumping onto the bar in his office attire, sighing deeply as he reveled in his exhaustion, easily downing a glass of alcohol. He’d been working himself to the bone lately to drive away the loneliness he felt with his best friend Kim Kibum’s engagement to Nam Woohyun. Kibum had been Jinki’s roommate ever since college and they’d continued being roommates, even though Jinki was working SM entertainment as a producer, and Kibum himself worked in a boutique over at the wealthy part of town, which was where he met model and singer Nam Woohyun.

Obviously, with him being about to get married, the two would no longer be able to live together as roommates, or Woohyun might get the wrong idea. It didn’t mean Jinki was happy, however, to become an independent male and have no one to take care of or to take care of himself.

That’s where Kim Jonghyun came in. After his tenth or twelfth shot of alcohol, he noticed that on stage, a male somewhere around his age was singing. Jinki didn’t know the male, and he didn’t pay much attention to his alcohol anymore, but the music captivated him instantly and had his mind sobered enough for him to suddenly want to catch the male after he was done singing to ask about it.

So he did.

At first, it was hard for Jinki to get through the crowd, what with everyone being too busy grinding on each other to make space for a person trying to walk through, but Jinki didn’t want to give up. He pushed against the crowd and eventually found himself in front of the stage, but the male from earlier was no longer there, and that made him stare up at the stage in complete bewilderment.

His shoulders dropped and Jinki took in a deep breath in disappointment, slowly trudging back to the bar and reclaiming his seat while ordering another twelve glasses of alcohol. That’s when the person next to him snickered, and Jinki narrowed his eyes to look over, only to freeze in complete shock when the very person he was looking for was seated next to him and looking right at him with amused eyes.

Jinki could only stare dumbly at the male as the alcohol arrived, not even noticing that the male had taken one of his own drinks and swallowed it easily. Jinki’s eyes studied him silently as the male took another of his drinks, and remained staring at him until half of his drinks were drowned, until he finally caught sense again and raised an eyebrow in anger.

“If you drunk all of that, you better pay for it.”

The silver haired boy merely chuckled and raised both of his eyebrows in return, leaning against the counter with a palm under his chin, his elbow resting on the bar, “And if I don’t?”

“Then you better pay me back.” Jinki fired back, though he definitely didn’t feel as angry as he thought he did. Despite the fact that the male had drunk half of his alcohol, he was friendly enough to go over and talk to Jinki even if they didn’t know each other.

“Ah, making your eye candy pay for drinks?” the male shook his head in disbelief. When Jinki’s eyes widened, the male winked over at him, “I saw you ogling me ever since I got up on stage. It’s been a while since a good looking guy hit on me, so I thought I’d come and flirt you up a little bit.”

“I wasn’t ogling you.” Jinki said quickly, although it sounded like a lie in his own ears, “I was… listening to your lyrics. They’re beautiful, you know.”

The silver haired male seemed to be genuinely surprised and his face softened, “No one really notices the lyrics. They all just care about how I look and sound.” The silver haired male reached for another drink, and instead of stop him, Jinki merely told the bartender to send more alcohol their way.

“Well, I for one found your lyrics to be amazing.” Jinki replied, drowning another shot of his alcohol, “I never saw someone pour out so many feelings into a song.”

“Ah, it was because I broke up with my girlfriend at the time.” The male explained, and for some reason, Jinki’s heart dropped slightly. He didn’t understand why, though, considering he had just met the male and-

“Oh wait, I don’t know your name.” Jinki said suddenly, surprise written all over his face at his own stupidity.

The other male, seemingly to only become more amused by Jinki’s antics, swallowed another glass and reached a hand out, obviously starting to get tipsy, “Kim Jonghyun, singer, age 24.”

Jinki, despite his mental debate on whether to take the alcohol or not, was serious enough to take the other male’s hand in his and shake it gently, “Lee Jinki, producer, age 25.”

The other male’s eyes doubled in size and he leaned back in disbelief, “A producer? No way.”

So, Jinki took out a business card and snickered lightly as he handed it over, “I think you have a good voice, Kim Jonghyun. You should audition someday, you’ll probably get far.”

Jonghyun laughed lightly and the two talked for a little while. Jinki about his job and how he got to work with idols, and Jonghyun about his job singing in clubs around town for small amounts of money. By the end of the night, at around 3 AM, they were both drunk to the limit and paying hurriedly before dashing out the front door, clutching their stomachs as they laughed for no apparent reason.

“It would be a shame to part now, you know.” Jonghyun said, looking up at the elder male with tears of joy leaking out of his eyes, “I’ll never meet someone so interesting like you are.”

“Then let’s not part!” Jinki said simply, and the drunk pair wandered down the streets, looking into the random shops they saw on their way.

Suddenly, Jonghyun pulled Jinki by the wrist and pointed at a ring shop, grinning stupidly, “I’ll be right back!”

So, Jinki was forced to wait for the male in the freezing cold of the night, shuddering lightly and hugging himself tightly.

Then, Jinki felt his arm being pulled, and turned his head only to have his lips pressed against Jonghyun’s. The two shared a heated kiss before the younger pulled away and held up a ring, “Marry me, Lee Jinki, so I never have to part with my interesting partner.”

“Of course, my angelic singer Kim Jonghyun.” Jinki had even kicked a foot in the air behind him, and the drunken pair ran as fast as they could to city hall, after Jonghyun dialed the number of someone Jinki didn’t know.

“Taemin will be our witness.” Jonghyun’s words were slurring, but he was able to keep himself up for another two hours, when City Hall was surprisingly still open and accepting marriage registrations. Despite the judgmental glares they were getting, and Taemin’s constant asking them if they were serious, they actually went through with the marriage.

“Now how do we get home?” Jinki remembered muttering to himself, finally feeling reality slip away from him after everything was said and done.

It turned out Taemin had gotten them into a taxi and to a hotel for the night for their makeshift honeymoon and dumped them into a suite before disappearing all together. Somehow, Jonghyun was the first to realize they were in a closed space and had immediately pounced on Jinki, and the two ended up only sleeping when the sun started to shine.

It was now noon and Jinki had to get to work in two hours, but he didn’t know how to escape. Legally, the two were married, but logically, they hardly knew each other, so how could they be married already?

He ruffled his hair and groaned in frustration, throwing Jonghyun’s arm off and jumping off of the bed to grab his clothes, “I’m not staying here. The heck did I get myself into? I can’t marry a stranger.”

“But you did.” Jinki froze in place and turned around to see Jonghyun still in bed, arms folded under his head as he smirked up at the elder, “You did marry me though, Kim Jin Ki.”

“Why did I agree into taking your surname?” Jinki cursed to himself and turned around, hurriedly shoving the rest of his clothes on again.

“You’re not leaving, are you?” Jonghyun asked, and Jinki could practically hear the teasing seep out of his voice.

“Yes. I don’t know what happened yesterday, but it was all a mistake.” Jinki pulled the ring off of his finger and tossed it at Jonghyun before leaving.

“Sure, but it was a mistake we both made.” Jonghyun’s voice was closer, and Jinki turned to see Jonghyun’s hand clasped around his own tightly, a grin on his lips, “And you can’t get divorced with only one person’s signature, right? So I guess you have to wait until I agree.”

Jinki automatically knew the innocent seeming Jonghyun he met the day before was planning something. “What do you want?”

“Let’s make a deal, Jinki.” Jonghyun snickered, a hand trailing down Jinki’s chest and having the elder male shudder at his touch, “You turn me into an idol, and I will divorce you.”

“And why should I help you?” Jinki asked, although he himself knew that helping the male would only help himself since the younger male had such powerful vocals.

“Well it would be pretty bad if the company and press find out Lee Jinki decided to get married to a man he met at the bar, don’t you think?” Jonghyun’s smirk only widened, and Jinki’s eyebrows furrowed in disbelief.

“Are you threatening me?” Jinki asked anyway.

“No, I’m promising you, that if you help me become an idol; I’ll set you free again.” Jonghyun replied with conviction, and with a deep sigh and his head still pounding, Jinki continued to the door.

“I suppose we’ll have to do it, then. Come to the address on the card I gave you tomorrow at 5 sharp. I’ll set you up for a last minute audition.” He didn’t wait for a reply and stalked out of the room, collapsing against the wall outside and gagging dryly as he scolded himself for making such bad decisions, “I’m married to a complete jerk.”