White Curtain

Her Wings [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  Monday morning was dreadful, but Monday afternoon was even worse.
     As if it wasn't enough that Aunt Sarang had asked me to go to the one-dollar store to pick up some new table mats because we were having guests over for dinner that day, but I had also forgotten to pack a water to drink for lunch. I literally felt my throat dry up like a dead leaf when I reached in my bag, only to feel a pencil case and not a cold bottle of water.
     "," I whispered to myself as I sat in my empty classroom in the corner, pulling out my lunch and watching a fight that was gradually getting more and more violent in the front school yard. The teachers just seemed to shake their heads in disbelief, while other adults tried to break up the group, only to get punched in the face for trying.
     A sigh escaped my lips as I turned to my bag to see if I had forgotten anything else, like a spoon or a fork. I hadn't forgotten any of that stuff, but the only thing I forgot was that I still had a black letterman jacket stuffed at the bottom of my bag.
     Pulling it out, I soon remembered that the thing wasn't mine. It didn't smell like me and looked too big for me to wear. It was that strange kid Jungkook's, and I had forgotten all about it.
     I held up the jacket in front of me by each side of the shoulder and scrutinized it. It was a simple and classic letterman, but on the left were small white embroidered letters: JJK.
     It was definitely his own jacket if it had his initials on it. I laughed at it, since it was somewhat similar to putting your initials on your underwear so nobody else would take it. My dumb thoughts made me shake my head at my own self, set the jacket in my lap, and turn to my lunch to eat.
     The spiced cabbage Aunt Sarang had packed me was perfect, and the fried egg on my rice was cooked to perfection-- not too rubbery or burnt. Aunt Sarang was the best cook in the world, and I let her know that every time she cooked for me, and every time, she would smile at me happily and smooth my hair like Uncle Luhan would.
     I was the daughter of her older sister that suddenly went missing. Aunt Sarang had been taking care of me since I was five years old. I was thankful for that. She acted like she was my mom for the last eleven years. But sometimes I felt frustrated knowing that she had wasted eleven years of her life to take care of me, a kid she didn't even expect to take care of.
      And while I loved Aunt Sarang, and even Uncle Luhan who wasn't my blood relative, I always wondered if they would still love me if I told them about my powers. It made me scared sometimes. What if they left me if they found out? Would they still care for me? I bit my lip when I suddenly thought about them leaving me, just like my parents did. A sudden force of emotion hit me like it always did when I considered the fact that my parents left me because they already knew about what I could do. Maybe that was the explanation on why they left me-- because they had a freak of a daughter.
     I was so deep in thought that I didn't notice Jungkook walk into the classroom and steal my fried egg which I had already taken and bite out of.
     "Hey! What the heck?" I exclaimed, looking up at him as he chewed on Aunt Sarang's beloved egg she cooked for me. I groaned loudly, "What are you doing here? I'm pretty sure your class isn't in this hall."
     Jungkook swallowed and took a sip from the water bottle he was holding, "Yeah, but I'm pretty sure that jacket isn't yours," he pointed to his jacket that sat all bundled up in my lap. I looked down to it, dropped my fork and swiftly threw the jacket at him. He smirked happily and slipped it on.
     I sighed with annoyance, "You know you ate my egg I had already bitten, right? That's an indirect kiss, sicko," I shook my head and went back to my lunch, only to see Jungkook smiling from the corner of my eye. "Stop smiling like that. You creep me out," I growled at him.
     "Maybe you should smile more," he suggested, pulling a chair and sitting on it, the back of the chair against his chest to face me.      "I'm fine, thanks," I brushed him off, ignoring him even though he was just watching me as I ate.
     "Do you always pack your lunch?" he asked, eying the homemade side dishes in my lunch. I nodded.
     "Yeah. My aunt does," I replied.
     "Not your mom?" he inquired.
     "No. She's not living with me," I informed him, trying to give him as less information about my life as possible.
     "Oh, mine isn't either," he softly replied, looking out the window at the grayish blue sky.
     I looked up at him for a second, "My dad isn't either," I added.
     "Same here," Jungkook nonchalantly said.
     It was odd how we actually had something in common with each other. I didn't think there were many kids who didn't have both of their parents. Most of the time you only heard about one of the parents leaving the family or them being divorced. It even happened to my mother, Aunt Sarang, and her family.
     "How long have they been gone?" Jungkook asked. I listened to his thoughts, and he apparently thought my parents had died.
     "Um," I hesitated a bit, thinking about whether telling him more about my personal matters was okay, "they left me when I was five. My mom's sister found me and-- yeah."
     Jungkook looked at me with a look of shock for a second, his eyes blinking at the reply he wasn't expecting, "Oh. So they might still be alive?"
     I nodded my head, "Yeah, but it's been eleven years,"
     Jungkook just nodded his head in reply and asked another question, "Do you remember them at all?"
      I nodded, nonchalantly responding, "I remember them. My mom used to sing this lullaby to me when I had to sleep. I remember that the most."
      The boy in front of me just nodded, understanding every word I was saying. I didn't mean to try and listen to his thoughts, but I could faintly hear a woman's kind voice calling his name, followed by gentle laughter.
       It was quiet between the two of us after the topic of our parents.
     While I silently ate my lunch and Jungkook sat in front of me, looking out the window, his thoughts suddenly became so extremely loud that I had no choice but to hear them, no matter how much I tried to block them out. I could hear vivid screams of frights, sobs of despair, the crackling of fire and wood, and the wails of a child, all in his mind. These sounds were so realistic and loud that I had to wince. I dropped my fork from the noise, and when Jungkook looked over to see what I was doing, his thoughts quickly quieted down.
     "You okay?" he asked me, an expression of concern on his face.
      "Yeah," I breathed out quietly, "I just-- almost choked," I added as a small excuse, instinctively reaching for the water bottle on the desk and taking a large gulp of it to calm myself down.
     I set the bottle back on the table and wiped the side of my mouth as Jungkook looked at me with surprise, pointing to his water bottle he had been drinking out of earlier. When I realized what I had just done, I let out a sharp exhale of disbelief.
     "Indirect kiss," he gave a strange smile. Anger soared through me at such a strong pace that the lights in the classroom began to flicker a bit. Jungkook looked above him at the lights and then back at my scowling expression, an awkward smile of regret on his face.        School was over when a sudden influx of students left the ground at one in the afternoon. School was dismissed at four o'clock officially, but at Hyegun, it was when anyone wanted to leave. None of the teachers really had a say in it, either. They just let us leave and watched with pained expressions.
     I stayed behind for thirty minutes to review our trigonometry lesson no one had listened to before. A nationwide test was coming up, so I figured I had to study for it. I didn't know about everyone else, but I wanted to graduate high school and leave on a good foot.
     "Ms.Lim?" I walked in to my algebra class I had just transfered to. My last math teacher had a nervous breakdown one day because no one bothered to listen to his lessons, so a couple days earlier, I switc
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter