One Step Closer

I'm Here To Love You

 

After the school ended, Zelo headed to second year’s class. He needed to hand in the name list of the students who wanted to join the skateboarding competition during the upcoming sports festival. Once he got there, he saw the sophomores flooding out of the classroom which meant they had finished their lessons too.

He peered inside, just to make sure the teacher was gone and glanced at the seats to see Daehyun and Youngjae packing their stuffs. His lips unconsciously curled upwards with the sight of his dearest roommate. He finally entered the classroom and approached the two until he was standing in front of their desks.

“Hey.”

Both Daehyun and Youngjae looked up to the tall junior. Daehyun’s face immediately turned brighter with Zelo’s presence. “Zelo, what brings you here?” He asked.

Zelo frowned for a second but quickly remembered about the name list. Really, he could forget everything if he saw that beautiful smile of Daehyun. “Oh yeah. I have the name list fully filled with the contestants,” He stated while taking out a piece of paper from his bag. “Here, I want to give it to you before I forgot,” He handed it out to Youngjae.

“That’s quick,” Youngjae commented as he was still putting the books into his bag. There’s another week before the due date to submit the name list but Zelo was surely a diligent committee member. “You can pass it to Daehyun.”

Zelo arched up an eyebrow. He averted his eyes to Daehyun who did the same to him, looking casually at him without saying anything.

“Why? You’re here so just take it,” Zelo said to Youngjae.

“No, Daehyun’s going to type the name lists,” Youngjae retorted before turning to Daehyun with hopeful expression. “Right?”

Daehyun hesitated at first but after a moment of staring at his seatmate, he finally agreed. “Uh… Sure…” He stretched out his hand to take that paper. However, the younger boy brought it away from him.

“Isn’t it your job to do it?” Zelo started to get irritated with the secretary’s attitude. Daehyun’s eyes widened at his roommate’s annoyed face.

Youngjae sighed. “I have loads of other jobs to do. There’s nothing much to do in typing this list of names.”

“It’s not much if you don’t count all other works you told Daehyun hyung to do before,” Zelo countered, making Daehyun’s jaw dropped, his glasses slid down his nose. “What are you doing in this council actually? Other than making out with the president?”

Daehyun choked on his breath. Youngjae’s face was red and his eyes seemed like they’re about to pop out from their sockets. Zelo kept glaring at him, waiting for a response. When there’s none, he shoved the paper to Youngjae’s chest.

“Here, take it. If there’s nothing much to do in typing this list of names, then do it yourself. Don’t try to be a lazy and do your job. If you don’t do it and say that I don’t give that name list, you’ll gonna be in big trouble. We have a witness here,” Zelo nodded to Daehyun. Before the older boy could voice out any protest, he grabbed the smaller hand and drag him out of the classroom, leaving the stoned Youngjae alone.

Daehyun didn’t say anything and just let the younger led him. He had no idea Zelo was that bold. It made him overwhelmed with admiration towards the other because unlike him, he didn’t know how to stand for himself and always submit to anybody without much complain.

When they reached the lockers, Daehyun tugged Zelo to a halt. “You don’t have to do that. I’m fine with typing up those lists of names,” He spoke timidly.

Zelo turned around to the shorter boy. “It doesn't matter if you're fine with it or not. It’s his job as the secretary. He can't order you around like he’s the president,” He opposed with a concerned yet dissatisfied look.

Daehyun cowered under Zelo’s sharp stare. “But he’s the president’s boyfriend...” He mumbled, looking down to his feet.

“So what? If you’re the president’s boyfriend, you’d order me around as well?”

Daehyun shook his head. “I don’t think so...”

“Just accept it. Your friend is an irresponsible jerk,” Zelo remarked from the bottom of his heart. He really wanted to say that since the very first time he talked to Youngjae.

For quite a while, Daehyun stayed still on his spot. If he was not standing, people might think he had fallen asleep. So Zelo thought he had said something he wasn’t supposed to. But then Daehyun muttered. “Thanks...” He looked up with a grateful smile. “For not making me do his job. I'm actually getting tired of it.”

Zelo sighed. That smile had melted all of his previous anger. “You need to stop thinking about other’s feelings and start thinking about yours more.”

So he really did that? Daehyun never realized it until Zelo pointed it out. But when he thought back, he was indeed always put other people before him. He was afraid to tell his feelings to Yongguk because the older boy might hate him and would end their friendship, while Youngjae would think of him as a traitor since the boy often told him about his crush on Yongguk. So he just kept the feelings firmly inside his heart.

Zelo noticed the change in Daehyun’s expression. His roommate suddenly looked so down like he was about to cry. In reflex, he brought his hand up to pat Daehyun’s head. It clearly had an effect to the sad boy. Daehyun closed his eyes to enjoy this moment.

“Daehyun-ah!”

Both of Daehyun and Zelo involuntarily jerked apart from each other. They searched for the owner of the voice which belonged to Yongguk. The said boy was jogging towards them with a broad grin plastered on his face.

“Are you free? Let’s have an outing together,” Yongguk asked frankly to Daehyun, ignoring the lanky figure at his side.

“Um…” Daehyun contemplated. His eyes darted between the two boys in front of him.

Zelo thought it was a signal for him to leave them alone. “I’ll go this way,” He excused himself, pointing to the exit with his thumb.

A frown etched on Daehyun’s face as he watched the younger stopped by his locker to take out his skateboard before walking away from them. Yongguk came to stand before him in order to block his view but he managed to crane his neck to look over Yongguk’s shoulder.

“Zelo!” Daehyun shouted and the called person swiftly turned around. “Where are you going?”

“To the school park, I guess,” Zelo shrugged. “Have fun!” He waved Daehyun off and continued the walk to his destination.

 

 

(。◕‿◕。)

 

 

As soon as he arrived, Zelo began to ride on his skateboard. He just followed the brick path as he searched for a suitable port where he could put his bag down and practice alone. He tried not to think about Daehyun going out with Yongguk, thinking about how Daehyun would smile when Yongguk called him cute… Urgh. He should just snatch Daehyun away from that thickheaded president and have him all to himself.

But of course he wouldn’t do that. He knew Daehyun liked Yongguk and he didn’t want to be the third person standing in their way. Zelo stopped his skateboard from rolling to let out a heavy sigh. It turned out to be the garden where he once saw Daehyun with his laptop working on the club’s report. He sighed again because everything was about Daehyun in his mind nowadays.

Throwing his bag onto the wooden table, Zelo started to play with his skateboard on the paved ground. He had learned on new tricks and techniques not long ago. Now he was getting better at them. It’s a shame he couldn’t use them in the competition.

As he was immersed in his own world, it took some time for him to notice another person coming towards him. When they were close enough and the person just stood there until he got his attention, Zelo promptly looked up. It was Daehyun.

“What’re you doing here?” He asked in surprise.

Daehyun’s eyes fluttered as he stared blankly at the other. “I don’t know…” He wasn’t sure if he’s here because he really wanted to come to the garden or if it’s because of Zelo. But he just followed to where his feet brought him to.

“What about Yongguk hyung?” Zelo jerked him out of his reverie.

Daehyun remembered how dejected Yongguk looked when he said that he couldn’t go with him. He knew he should’ve accepted Yongguk’s offer and spent time happily with him but he wasn’t in the mood to do so.

“He can go with Youngjae,” He replied nonchalantly before making way to his usual small round table under the tree, where Zelo had placed his bag at. Then he pulled out some notes and books from his own bag with the intention to do his homework.

Zelo eyed his roommate getting into his study mode. He was somehow relieved because Daehyun didn't go with Yongguk. Maybe Daehyun came here because he had told him that he liked to do his work in this cozy place rather than their stuffy room. So even if he wanted to sit beside the older boy and chat with him until they’re out of topics, he restrained himself. He didn’t want to be a bother to Daehyun. Instead he just kept on skateboarding around the same place.

For Daehyun, it might look like he was focusing on the math problem but his eyes were more interested in admiring his junior. He would stole glances at Zelo in every chance he got. He actually liked to watch Zelo took control of his skateboard with his long legs and skilled moves, full of passion and power. Zelo looked really cool in hi point of view.

When Daehyun thought it was long enough staring through the notes, he dared himself to take another glimpse of the skateboarder. But once he lifted his head, he quickly brought it back down. Zelo was coming in his way while carrying the board on his shoulder. He flopped down next to Daehyun and set the skateboard next to him. After doing some light stretches, he took out his homework from his bag, scattering the papers on the table.

Daehyun who was silently staring at Zelo in amusement decided to speak up. “This is the first time I see you with a book in front of you and a pencil in your hand.” He smirked.

Zelo sent a deadly glare. “Shut up,” He didn’t deny it since it’s true and he didn’t know why he was so diligent today. But if he couldn’t even focus to do the thing he liked the most, it’s better to be close to Daehyun although he hated studying.

In less than five minutes, Zelo had started to scratch his head, groaning when he couldn’t find a correct answer. Of course Daehyun would notice him.

“Need some help with that?” Daehyun asked, scooting closer to the younger. Zelo nodded, trying not to be too happy with Daehyun’s act.

Things had turned out to be a tutorial session rather than self-study. But it’s okay for both of them. Daehyun enjoyed in teaching his roommate while Zelo was delighted when he got all of Daehyun’s attention to himself.

Zelo could finally do his homework correctly with Daehyun’s help. He did a great job and Daehyun couldn’t fight the urge to pat him. But as soon as he felt a hand on his head, Zelo quickly grabbed it off, inevitably glared at the one that did it.

Startled with Zelo’s move, Daehyun’s body was already frozen. Their faces were now just inches apart since his hand was pulled by the latter. His wide eyes stared straight into Zelo’s deep gaze, causing him to go beet red. He scrambled to draw his hand back in haste and returned to his own homework.

“I’m not a dog,” Zelo complained, trying to break the awkward silence.

Upon hearing that, Daehyun turned to him. “No you’re not. You’re a puppy,” He giggled.

“Then you’re a kitten,” Zelo snickered as he pinched Daehyun’s cheek.

“No, I’m not,” Daehyun pouted, matching with the cute little thing Zelo alleged him to be.

 

 

(。◕‿◕。)

 

 

As a result from utilizing their free time to do the homework, these two roommates could leisurely laze around in the night. Zelo was leaning against the headboard of his bed while looking at his iPad whereas Daehyun was lying on his stomach on his own bed with a laptop in front of him. And they had been doing that since they got back from having dinner which was three hours ago.

Zelo was the first to throw his tablet aside. “I’m bored,” He groaned.

“Me too,” Daehyun retorted after turning around, propping his head on his elbow. “Should we sleep?”

Zelo gasped. “Never in my teenage life that I would sleep this early. It’s only ten!”

Daehyun nodded, agreeing to the younger’s words. He was quiet for a moment to have a thought before looking up again. “Then, want to watch a movie?”

Zelo’s brow lifted in wonder. He didn’t expect that at all. “Sure,” He shrugged before getting off his bed to sit on Daehyun’s. “I thought you're asking me to watch together.”

Daehyun scoffed at that. He shifted his tiny body a little to the side, giving more space to the bigger one. Now both of them were lying prone side by side.

“What movie?” Daehyun asked as he searched in his laptop.

“I’m fine with anything,” Zelo said.

After mere minutes, Daehyun finally chose something he really wanted to watch for a long time but didn’t have time to do so. It’s a sad Japanese story which had made many people cried. He knew he’s a soft hearted person that could simply produce tears but it’s just when he’s alone. Maybe if there’s someone else with him, he wouldn’t cry so easily.

The story began and both of them give their full concentration to it, keenly reading the Korean subtitles at the bottom. Daehyun was doing well in the beginning but not even half of the movie, he felt the need to wail.  He subtly pulled a blanket to cover himself and wrapped the end around his head until his eyes were the only things showing. Now he could cry and muffle his sobs with the blanket.

Zelo on the other hand was not really feeling it. That’s because he kept being distracted by Daehyun’s endless shuffling. He gave his roommate a weird look but Daehyun was hiding his face with the cover. He continued to stare for quite a while. That’s when he heard sniffles from the other boy. Is it really that sad?

As the movie was nearing its end, Daehyun was already a crying mess. He was bawling like he had lost his pet. Even if Zelo heard him and would make fun of him later, he didn’t care anymore. This story was worth crying.

Maybe the sound of Daehyun’s sobs made Zelo felt like crying too. It’s because he had never cry because of a movie no matter how sad it was. He started to use just a slight part of Daehyun’s blanket to wipe out his tears. But then he too squished himself inside the blanket with Daehyun when his tears wouldn’t stop running down his face.

Daehyun looked at the boy who was pressing his side against him. His nose and eyes were all red and swollen. “Why are you crying? You’re supposed to comfort me,” He whined.

“Okay, my bad,” Zelo croaked. “Come here,” He draped an arm over Daehyun’s small figure to bring him closer. His thumb would gently wipe the tears on Daehyun’s face once in a while.

Daehyun thought this was better than crying alone. There’s someone who would give him the warmth he needed. He stayed in Zelo’s embrace for the rest of the movie. When it’s over, they were already sleeping in each other’s arms.

 

 

(。◕‿◕。)ノ

 

 


 

Hellooo!! Long time no see! I'm so sorry for the long delay ^^'

I'll try to update more often after this. I actually didn't plan for this story to be more than 10 chaps, but I think it changed to be not more than 20

Thanks to all upvotes, subbies and comments! I love youuu