Chapter 3

Can I Have This Dance?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For the past few days, Tiffany has been coming back to the bookstore. At first, she was in denial that she was really coming there only to see the girl behind the counter again until she realized that it would be of no use because that was really her sole reason why she chose to leave the confinements of her room. Her curiosity got the best of her.

 

But, unfortunately she hasn’t seen the girl yet again. The first time she went to the bookstore again, she only stayed for about an hour but scolded herself for being so ridiculous for even thinking of going there. And, like there’s something that’s pushing her to go back, she did it again. This time she stayed for about couple hours but saw no sign of the girl. Again.

 

She scolded herself yet again but that didn’t stop her from going back. From the third time up to now, she has been staying for almost the whole time the bookstore is open.

 

She would always sit at that same table and try so hard to focus on reading the books she would either bring with her or buy from the store.

 

That particular day, she came in late because she woke up late thanks to all the over thinking she has been doing more and more lately.

 

She sighed when she realized that the person she came for at that place is nowhere to be found again.

 

“She’s not here again.” She mumbled to herself. For the umpteenth time within that hour, she sighed. “Why am I even doing this anyway?” She shook her head and took her phone out.

 

“Hi. I’m ready to leave.” She listened to what the person on the other line was saying. “Okay. Thanks.”

 

Tiffany saw the driver came in the store but the person who entered the store after him was the one who really caught her attention. She opened her small purse and with trembling hands, she took out a small box. She looked for the person she saw earlier and followed her with her eyes.

 

“Ma’am, are you ready?”

 

She was taken out of her thoughts and looked up to see the driver have the chair ready for her. “Y-yeah…” she looked at the girl’s direction again. “Can you do me a favor first?”

 

“Yes, ma’am. Is there anything else you need before we go?”

 

She pushed the small box across the table. “That tall girl over there, can you see her?” She waited for a response as the driver followed her line of sight. He nodded. “Will you please give this to her? I mean, it’s for her friend; the girl who gave me tea the last time.” She muttered in a low voice.

 

He gave her a gentle smile before taking the small box from the table.  She watched intently as he approached the girl she remembered as ‘Jinri’.  She saw the girl turning her head to her direction and by reflex she looked somewhere else, avoiding the girl’s eyes. She could feel her face getting warmer by the second and she was muttering curses to herself in her mind.

 

“Ma’am, she said thank you and that she’ll make sure her friend receives it.”

 

She nodded in response and told him that she’s ready to leave. The drive back home was quiet like always but her silence isn’t because of her usual thoughts about her parents, her current condition and dancing but that of the girl she doesn’t even know and haven’t even seen the face of clearly. And she refers to her as T.

 

*****

 

Taeyeon was busy humming while clearing one of the tables at the restaurant. Somehow, no matter how hard she tries, she couldn’t forget the girl. And she can’t even stop cringing whenever she remembers what she has done that day – the tea and the little note.

 

Not only was that the reason for her being in a good mood but also because she is excited of what will take place in two days. She was hoping that that would be the break she was waiting for.

 

After clearing the table, she passed on the next task to her co worker so she could take a short break. She walked to the back of the restaurant towards Sunkyu’s office. She knocked but didn’t wait for a response and just let herself in.

 

She saw Sunkyu raising a finger letting her know that she’ll be done in a minute with her phone call.

 

“Okay. Thank you. We’ll be expecting the deliveries by Monday then?” Sunkyu said.

 

Taeyeon went to the chair across Sunkyu’s desk and sat down as she watched her best friend finish her call.

 

“Okay. Thanks. Bye.” Sunkyu exhaled in relief and that made Taeyeon chuckled.

 

“Why? What happened?” Taeyeon asked, still chuckling at the now glaring Sunkyu.

 

Sunkyu shook her head. “You don’t even wanna know. I should probably start looking for a different company to make supply deliveries to us. That new guy was just too difficult to talk to.”

 

“Relax. You just said it, there was a new guy. Maybe he needs more time to get accustomed to the job or something.”

 

“Then they should have at least trained him better before making him work at that position.” Sunkyu leaned back to her chair and crossed her arms. “Why are you here anyway?”

 

Taeyeon playfully gave Sunkyu a hurt expression. “I didn’t know I can’t visit my best friend in her office anymore.” She opened her eyes wide as if in shock.

 

“Dork!”

 

Taeyeon snickered. “Anyway, I just wanna let you know I might be late the day after tomorrow. I got that interview and audition.” She smiled widely. “I hope this is it.”

 

Sunkyu can see those dreamy eyes again. She somehow feels sorry for her best friend yet admires her so much too. That positivity that she has in that small body was just overflowing. “No matter what happens, like I always say, I’m willing to help Taeyeon. Just one word from you, that’s all what it would take.”

 

“I appreciate it Sunkyu, like always too, but I wanna try and do this on my own first. Okay?”

 

“Fine. Why don’t you take tomorrow and the day after off then?” Sunkyu suggested.

 

Taeyeon shook her head. “Nah. I’ll be fine. It’s not like it’s a major audition or something.”

 

“Stubborn as always. You should rest too. Stop abusing that short body of yours.”

 

“Look who’s talking. I should say the same to you.”

 

Sunkyu shook her head. “You always gotta have the last word huh?”

 

Taeyeon just grinned at her. “Oh, by the way, I didn’t just come in here to tell you that. How about dinner? I’m kind of craving for some good stew. My treat.”

 

“That sounds good. Just let me know when we’re leaving then.”

 

Taeyeon and Sunkyu talked a bit more before Taeyeon went back to finish the rest of her shift. Couple of hours later, Taeyeon knocked and peeked through Sunkyu’s office door to let her know that they’ve closed already and she’s ready to leave.

 

***

 

Taeyeon was happily enjoying her stew as she listened to Sunkyu telling her random stories and how her parents wanted Taeyeon to come over to their house for a meal.

 

“So, Taeng, when do you want to come over? Umma is really bothering me now you know.”

 

Taeyeon grinned. “We’ll see. I wanna see where that interview and audition will bring me first.”

 

“Alright. I swear I think they love you more than they love me. They kept asking about you first before asking me.” Sunkyu pouted making Taeyeon raise her eyebrow.

 

“Please stop. That would not work with me and you know it.”

 

“Whatever.”

 

And they both suddenly laughed. After their dinner, Sunkyu dropped off Taeyeon again to her home and bid goodbye.

                                                                            

***

 

Taeyeon just opened the door to her apartment when she felt her phone vibrated. She checked and saw an incoming message and opened and read it as she kicked the door shut lightly.

 

From: Jinri

 

Unnie, that pretty unnie from last weekend was here this morning. She left something for you.

 

Taeyeon frowned. Pretty unnie?  

 

To: Jinri

 

What are you talking about? And for me? Are you sure?

 

Taeyeon went to the kitchen to get a glass of water and she set it on the counter. She went to her room, got herself an oversized shirt and her favorite pajama bottoms and left them in the bathroom as she waited for Jinri’s reply.

 

From: Jinri

 

Yes, unnie. It’s for you. Remember that pretty unnie that you gave a cup of tea to? She was here and Seohyun unnie said that she has been coming to the store for days now.

 

Taeyeon’s brows furrowed. Then, slowly her lips curved in to a smile as she was reminded of the beautiful girl she has constantly been thinking of.

 

To: Jinri

 

Yes. I remember her. Okay, are you working tomorrow?

 

From: Jinri

 

I will be at the bookstore tomorrow morning unnie. Would you like to meet up somewhere?

 

To: Jinri

 

Nah. I’ll just stop by the bookstore tomorrow and see you there. Thanks Jinri ah.

 

From: Jinri

 

You’re welcome unnie J I’ll see you tomorrow. Who knows maybe you’ll see her again too. :p

 

Taeyeon shook her head and replied and bid the younger girl good night. She went about with her nightly routine – washed up, got her glass of water and watched some re-runs on TV.

Taeyeon lay on her bed with her arm covering her closed eyes. She was indeed exhausted but she would always tell herself that this is better than doing nothing. She can’t take a rest that is what she kept telling herself. If she wanted to at least lead a better life, she would need to work harder – harder than she already is doing.

 

And then her thoughts and the images in her mind changed. It was her. She can’t fully see her face – she basically just saw her side profile clearly. But those eyes that met hers momentarily – which seemed to have lasted longer in her opinion – she couldn’t forget those. Her eyes were beautiful yet at the same time looked blank and sad.

 

Why do you look so sad? Lost? What happened to you?

 

She turned to her side and took a deep breath. She pulled the blanket up and covered herself

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter