Chapter 2

Can I Have This Dance?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 2

 

It didn’t take long for Yuri to get to Tiffany’s apartment. She was trying to catch her breath as she punched in the code to unlock Tiffany’s door.

 

“Fany, I’m here. Are you ready yet?” Yuri took her shoes off and made her way to Tiffany’s room. She knocked on the door as she placed an ear against the door, trying to listen to what might be going on at the other side of the door. She thinks she heard faint grumbling and grunting that she wanted to open the door and check but she knew better.

 

“Fany? Are you okay in there?” Yuri asked.

 

“Ye-yeah. I’m coming out now.” Tiffany looked at her reflection once more before going to the door. She reached for the knob and took a deep breath before opening it, moving slightly as she gives way to the door.

 

Tiffany saw Yuri standing in front of the door with a smile on her face. “Thanks for coming by and for driving me over to the bookstore.” She looked straight into Yuri’s eyes hoping that the girl would at least feel the sincerity in her words. She then moved over to her shoe and coat closet and struggled yet again to grab a pair of shoes.

 

Yuri went to stand next to Tiffany. “Ready?”

 

Tiffany just nodded and leaned back as she let Yuri take over her chair. It still is a challenge for her to move around despite having to get used to using the chair. Yuri and their other friends have actually ordered it and had it customized for her. She is grateful for it and she knows she has no other choice but to deal and bear with it no matter how much she hates it.

                           

Sitting and using it all around, not being able to do the things she used to do and being stuck in that chair just pulls out all the energy and hope in her.

 

Yuri helped Tiffany and carried the latter as she sat her at the passenger seat. “Would you like to have coffee or get something to eat on our way to the bookstore?”

 

Yuri was just so excited that at least Tiffany got out of the four corners of her apartment. She even called Jessica and Hyoyeon as soon as she ended the call with Tiffany earlier to let them know that she would accompany the latter to the bookstore.

 

“Sure. I’ll have tea. Can we just do drive-thru though? I don’t really exactly want to go through all that trouble just to get a drink.” Tiffany briefly looked at Yuri and went back to leaning her head on the door.

 

“Of course! Anything you want, Fany ah. Let’s get you that tea then.”

 

***

 

“Fany ah, what do you usually do when the driver brings you here?” A confused Yuri asked as she unbuckled her seatbelt.

 

“Ah…well, I just usually ask him to get the order for me and I stay in here.” Tiffany sort of hesitated before answering Yuri. She was still contemplating as she wanted to do something else that day.

 

“Oh okay. I’ll get it for you then. How many books did you order?”

 

Tiffany wanted to say something but she was still hesitant to say it out loud. Yuri turned to her side when Tiffany didn’t answer.

 

“What’s wrong?” Yuri asked as she gets worried.

 

Tiffany turned her head and sighed lightly but still didn’t get unnoticed by Yuri. “I… I am wondering if you could bring me inside as well. I would like to sit in there for a while.” Tiffany said meekly.

 

Yuri broke into a wide smile and nodded furiously. “Of course. Of course! Wait up in here, okay? I’ll just get your uhm you know at the back.”

 

Tiffany just nodded and sighed again. Indeed, staying in her bedroom and apartment all day long is very suffocating for her. But as the days pass by, she didn’t actually mind the suffocation she was getting from staying in only because she thought that it would help her to numb herself inside. She thinks that maybe letting herself drown in the silence and darkness of her apartment, that would eventually lead to the end of her miseries and pain. But, of course it never did for it only strengthened the pain within her.

 

Once settled in the chair – she never really wanted to hear the word wheelchair, so they just refer to it as the chair – Yuri pushed it as they went inside the bookstore.

 

They heard the bell rang and Tiffany gripped the arm rest tightly as she swallowed nervously. She hates the feel of the eyes all over her. She hates the pity and sympathy she sees on other people’s eyes whenever they see her. She hates that she can’t do anything about it.

 

Tiffany saw a tall young girl greeting them. This might have been the first time she has seen the girl for all those times she has been visiting the bookstore. And the girl seems nice to her. If it would have been months or years ago, she would have just greeted her with much cheerfulness instead of an empty slight nod she just gave out.

 

“Yuri ah, at the very corner table. Please. And can you move me to the regular chair too?” Tiffany looked up to Yuri and talked with a weak voice.

 

Yuri smiled and pats her hand and nodded. Yuri did as she was asked. She transferred Tiffany to that one chair and put the chair out of the way.

 

“The books are under my name. There should be five of them. Thanks.”

 

“Got it. Would you like another drink? I think they sell like coffee and tea in here as well.”

 

“Sure. Anything will do.”

 

Yuri gave her a thumbs up and turned away from Tiffany to go to the counter. Tiffany let out a heavy sigh as she looked around. She was thankful that there was really no one around that part of the bookstore. Though it seems so busy and there are a lot of people in that store, there’s just no one else at that corner. She could see in between the shelves though that Yuri was busy talking to the person behind the counter. Yuri was laughing and being a dork that she is as Tiffany could see.

 

Tiffany was curious as to whom Yuri was talking to and because Yuri was tall, she was kind of blocking the person behind the counter. And then Yuri moved. And she saw the person behind the counter. And she was lost. It was a different kind of lost.

 

*****

 

Taeyeon was the one who opened up the bookstore. She was actually surprised as to how well the store makes and does because she thought that people would rather do things digitally now. And she couldn’t be any happier though because she does prefer to have the book physically in her hands as she travels with the story and the characters in it.

 

More so, she was also kind of surprised that someone younger than her manages the store – well it was more of a family business but handed down to her because she just loves books that much. She became friends with the young girl and it was a nice change. After all, all she really has was Sunkyu.

 

For couple hours she was alone and she was just relieved that it wasn’t that busy too especially that it was that time of the month where in new arrivals of supplies and books have arrived and needs to be put out on their shelves.

 

Juhyun, the owner slash her friend, called in saying she wouldn’t be able to make it to manage the store like usual due to an exam or something. She was just glad that her other dongsaeng would be in to help her out.

 

Doing the usual routine around the store, she sighed and looked around. Well, today seemed a little different than their usual weekends. It was a busy day as a matter of fact and that was kind of a surprise to her.

 

“JinRi ah, can you please bring these back to the shelves? I’m going to get the others at the back.” Taeyeon stood up from kneeling down as she tidied up the lower shelves.

 

“Yes, unnie. Go ahead. I can’t believe we are this busy today though.” The younger girl took the pile of books from Taeyeon and put it on the little cart she was pushing earlier around the store.

 

“Just be thankful that these people still prefers having the book instead of just ordering them and have the digital copies or we wouldn’t have this extra income.” She gently pats the younger girl’s shoulder, who is actually taller than her.

 

“I know unnie. It’s just kind of weird that it is this busy and this early too.”

 

“I know, right? But that just means more for us.” Taeyeon grinned. “Anyway, get that done because I’m gonna need your help to set the new arrivals out at the front. By the way, I also got the orders that were for pick-up ready as well just in case some of them come in to get their orders.” Taeyeon pointed at the shelves behind the counter.

 

JinRi gave Taeyeon a double thumbs up and the latter nodded and whistled on her way to their storage room at the back.

 

It took a while for Taeyeon to gather as much of the new supplies and books that needs to be out on their shelves and on display.

 

She pushed her cart and stood by the front shelf where they always display the new arrivals and best sellers at. She was kneeling down again as she tried to start from the bottom when she heard the ring of the bell as the door opened – indicating that someone either came in or out of the store.

 

She turned around only to see someone coming out. She said her usual line of “Thank you for coming. Have a great day.” to the customer and went back to her work.

 

Few minutes later, Taeyeon felt someone tapping her on the shoulder. She looked up and saw JinRi looking down at her. “Unnie, let me do that. You can finish up at the counter.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yeah. I can finish this up. You know better how to deal with the register and the orders anyway.”

 

“Okay, just let me know if you need help.” Taeyeon stood up and wiped her hand on her sort of kinda like apron she was wearing.

 

Taeyeon was on her way to the register when the bell rang again. She heard JinRi welcoming the customer in and she went behind the counter to finish up and get the new orders ready.

 

Few minutes later, Taeyeon heard a tap on the counter. She turned around and saw a girl around her age with a smile plastered on her face.

 

“Good morning ma’am. How can I help you?” Taeyeon asked.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter