Weekend Getaway

My GDxCL One-Shot Series

 

Weekend Getaway

Requested by: anonymous

Characters: Kwon Jiyong, Lee Chaerin & Yang Hyunsuk

 


 

“I can’t wait for our first weekend getaway in forever. How long has it been since we had a weekend to ourselves without work getting in the way? Where are we going by the way? Are we there yet? I have a surprise too.” Chaerin asked excitedly as the cool breeze came through the open window and touched her face.

It was a beautiful day in the slopes of Gangwon-do. It was uncharacteristically warm considering it was the middle of winter and the fact that today was the start of their anniversary celebration made it even more beautiful; three years is a long time.

“Aigoo~ HunChae so many questions. We’re almost there.” Jiyong chuckled as he turned a right pulling up to the first building they had seen after hours of driving and parking the car.

To be honest Jiyong himself was excited; to get on the slopes as soon as possible and taste all the food at the buffet while he knew Chaerin couldn’t wait for that couple spa appointment he always books for them and watch the local acts that usually play at the resort’s bar.

As soon as they arrived a look of confusion instantly appeared on Jiyong’s face; what the hell is this place? He held up the brochure he got off the internet and compared it side by side to what the actual place looked like.

It was the correct place but it gave off a different feeling. In reality it was a huge house made of a combination of wood, concrete & glass; very modern yet empty & seemed like a really boring place. It was far from its appearance in the picture; so his excitement began to wane.

Jiyong turned to Chaerin to play it off like he had the directions wrong but to his surprise unlike him; she wore the same enthusiasm as before.

“Baby this is so quaint!”

Chaerin squealed clasping his arm and dragging him to the door where the caretaker was waiting to greet them. He wasn’t so sure if he heard her correctly but anything that made her smile like she was smiling right now was A+ to him.

“Good morning. I’m Mr. Yang, Mr. Kwon I presume?” The old man in a paper boy hat said holding out his hand for a handshake which Jiyong took. His smile was kind of a little creepy as it looked like a sneer.

“I’m sorry Mr. Yang but the brochure said resort spa, resto & bar with full butler service; the works.” Jiyong probed as his eyes roamed around the house. It seemed more of a house than a cabin really and there was so few furniture when he snuck a peek inside that gave a chilly aura.

“Oh it seems that you didn’t read the fine print. See here.”

“The “works” you are talking about is in our main hotel a couple of miles from here but you rented this rest house which doesn’t include all those things. Here its self-service and you get to experience fending for yourself without sacrificing the modern conveniences of life; I assume you bought the groceries we told you to purchase?” Mr. Yang said with a sympathetic look as he continued.

Jiyong’s eyebrows creased, he didn’t want to “fend for himself” he wanted someone to do that for him. He should’ve realized this when he was told to bring groceries. He was just about to demand his money back when he looked over to Chaerin who was making snow angels.

Damn his vitamin was too cute; how could he stay mad at the caretaker.

“It’s all right I understand. Thank you Mr. Yang, we’ll see you in three days.” He said thanking the caretaker as he took the access card from him.

“Oh yes you will.” Mr. Yang murmured. Jiyong failed to notice that the old man had a self-assured smirk on his face when he walked away.

“Ya! Baby girl! Stop making them angels or else heaven will end up realizing that they lost one and take you back from me.” Jiyong hollered at Chaerin who was still playing like a kid while he struggled to take out from the trunk the 2nd big stroller Chaerin packed.

“Who takes 2 suitcases with them for a weekend by the way?”

“You?” Chaerin pointed to the other 2 strollers that were still in the car that belonged to him.

Right when they finished settling in; Jiyong began building a fire as it was becoming extremely cold inside. After building the fire he went into the kitchen to find a Chaerin who was busy making their dinner.

“I’ll just have a look around and I’ll help you with dinner.” Jiyong said giving her a kiss on the crown of her head and warming her arms by rubbing them to which Chaerin only responded with a nod as she cut carrots and sang along to Crush’s “Sometimes” that was playing on her ipod next to her.

Mr. Yang was right the place was fully equipped with all the modern electronics and appliances you could think of but it would never deter you from enjoying the outdoors. Right now there was a slight snow storm outside, so maybe tomorrow; Jiyong thought.

He was starting to warm up to this place, it was as if it just needed someone inside it to make it cozy and by the delicious smell wafting from the kitchen that someone was his HunChae.

After a while..

“Let’s eat!” Jiyong bellowed as soon as Chaerin placed the last side dish in front of him.

“Tsk3. Mr. Kwon Jiyong you said you’d help me but your definition of helping is eating.” Chaerin said taking her seat with a smile nonetheless and grabbing the scissors to snip the Kimchi for Jiyong.

“I’m sorry baby. I got lost. This place is huge; like enough for 10 people at once.” He said making animated gestures like he always did when telling a story.

“Don’t worry. Leave the dishes to me and you can pick the movie we’ll watch tonight.” Jiyong said as he munched happily on the kimbap Chaerin made. Her Korean food was just like his mom’s and her Italian or French dishes were 20x better than any 5 Michelin star restaurant so frankly he would much rather eat what she whipped up than the hotel prepared food.

Once the dishes were finished & out of the away Jiyong brought the popcorn he made to the living room where Chaerin sat on the couch browsing the movie list.

Although they’ve seen “The Dark Knight Rises” way back in the movie house, Chaerin insisted on watching it because Jiyong wanted to watch “You’ve Got Mail” and she wasn’t in the mood for RomComs. There was a bit of teasing and bickering about the movie before they compromised on watching both.

Which they still didn’t end up doing;

Because after all that, they both just ended up falling asleep on the couch in each other’s arms underneath the covers worn-out from travelling by car all the way from Seoul.

The next morning..

“Baby wake up.”

Jiyong shook Chaerin lightly to rouse her. She stretched her arms and sat up slowly eyes only half-open.

It was a surprise to find Jiyong awake before her. In the three years they’ve been together he never woke up early and she always made a fuss about it. She looked over to the coffee table and there it was; a breakfast made just for her. Waffles, bacon & eggs with freshly pressed coffee; clearly he made the effort to make this.

“Happy 3rd anniversary HunChae..I love you..” Jiyong said with a sweet smile and a wink at her.

“Happy 3rd anniversary Jingyo..I love you too..” Chaerin replied before giving him a quick peck on the lips and feeding him the bacon he cooked.

If you would’ve asked Jiyong yesterday this was the last place he would’ve brought Chaerin to.

He would’ve brought her to someplace that had lots of places they could go to like go skiing on the slopes like they originally planned. But today they decided to just hang back and laze around.

So right now as they walked around the property in the snow, hand-in-hand; the quietness and serenity was truly more enjoyable. This presumption was, without warning to Jiyong, reinforced;

“Don’t you think this place is a great place to raise kids in?”

“Oh most definitely, away from the hustle & bustle of the city. Didn’t I tell you we can fit 10 or more in that place at one time?” Jiyong smiled obliviously. He picked up a plum blossom that fell on the ground and then tucked the flower between Chaerin’s hair that was tied up in a bun.

“I think for now oppa one would be enough..”

Jiyong’s mouth fell open and his eyes went back and forth from the hand Chaerin had cradling her small stomach to her beautiful expression of happiness. She nodded confirming that this was her surprise anniversary gift.

He was ecstatic; it was almost surreal and in his elation he picked Chaerin up by her waist and spun her around.

“Hey! Careful you don’t want me puking all of your anniversary breakfast out now do you?” She giggled when he finally set her down.

“Right. So many things to do, so little time.” Jiyong said with a serious look as he walked back to the house his face bearing resemblance to someone trying to remember a shopping list in their head. Chaerin was confused, what the hell was he talking about?

“Ya! Where are you going?” She hollered at him.

“To find Mr. Yang, I have to buy this house before anyone else falls in love with it like we have.” Jiyong answered as he continued murmuring things and enumerating things that had to be done before the baby arrives.

Looks like he was right; this place just needed someone to put personal touches on it. Someone to make it cozy, and this time there was going to be three, or even in the future, more people to warm it right up.

– END –