Chapter 5

Evanescence
Chapter 5  
"Whenever something falls, it will break." 
 

Blasting some pop music on his ears, Sehun closes his eyes and drums his fingers on his own desk, patiently waiting for his English lecturer, Mr. Kwon, to arrive and start the lesson, and enjoying his peaceful time. But that is until he feels someone unplugging one of his earphones. He opens his eyes in annoyance and glares at the person who just ruined his time. 

"What?" He snaps. "Do you know how pre-"

"I think a thunder struck that Jung Dahye yesterday." Kai informs as he plops himself on the desk right beside Sehun's. The other boy titles his head in confusion, clearly doesn't really understand what he means by that statement. Kai lifts an eyebrow at him. "You don't know?" He asks. 

Sehun rolls his eyes and punches the latter's shoulder hard enough to make him groan in pain. "Just get to the point."

Kai winces, rubbing his sore shoulder and glaring at the younger boy. "Son of a ," he grumbles but soon smirks. "So impatient, eh? Are you worried sick about that girl?" He teases and nudges Sehun's arm, already forgotten about the punch earlier. Sehun scoffs and pretends to gag.

"Me worried about her? The sky will turn upside down if I am." He confidently retorts and places his goddamn thick textbook on his dest when he spots Mr. Kwon entering the class. Kai sends him an oh-yeah look and turns to the front, facing the whiteboard and whispering only loud enough for Sehun to hear. 

"You'll get shocked when you meet her later."

Sehun turns to him with a confused expression and looks away, shrugging. He brushes it off and thinks Kai is the one who got struck because he acts unnormally insane today. But he is curious.

What exactly happened to Dahye?

The girl unwholeheartedly enters the cursed class; a class where unprincipled pupils are punished by watching some boring videos related to nothing. Dahye hates it to the core. She doesn't understand why this university even bothers to make an unuseful boring class like this. How old are they? 5?

The class doesn't even help students with bad demeanors to behave well, but to behave worse. They would intentionally annoy the lecturers and use that opportunity to skip classes. 

Dahye immediately hears some whispers and snickers from the s inside just as she steps inside the class. "Decide to change cause you got a hot boy?" One shouts and the others laugh. 

"Are you hiding your real self from him?" One says again. 

Being her usual self, she ignores them and takes a seat at the very back. 

A lecturer in her late 20s finally comes in and switches on the projector and her laptop. Dahye drums her fingers in boredom and sighs. She's going to stay here for goooood 3 hours. Bored, she counts the people inside the room. There are 5 boys and 3 girls, excluding herself.

"Okay," the lecturer whose name Dahye supposes is Ms. Song, claps her hands to gain the students' attention. "Today, we're going to watch a kidnapping movie. It's pretty frightening and cruel, but I don't give any about you being afraid because you," she points at the whole class, "are dickheads that deserve the feeling."

Dahye isn't listening to her lecturer as she is thinking about her grandmother's surgery. It is on this Friday and she is dead worried. What if she actually couldn't make it? She mentally knocks herself for thinking that way. But then she smiles at the thought of her grandmother praising her for changing her style of clothing. She feels great. The last time she wore this is when she was 16. She met with an angel, but that angel turned into a devil when she turned 17. Dahye's soft smile disappears when the face she loathes to see pops up in her mind. I wish you rot in hell.

She scans the students around her and surprisingly, they are actually too immersed with the movie. Her eyes darts towards the screen and she watches it. What is this movie about? She wonders. 

A half and hour later, Dahye is also already into the movie. Tugging her bangs behind her ear, she concentrates on the kid in the movie. She has feeling that the kid will be kidnapped. 

And it does happen. Dahye widens her eyes in surprise as it occurs. It is exactly the same as how she got kidnapped. No, no, no! She feels her anxiety attack coming nearer but she holds it down. 

The girl in the movie screams as two guys in black masks carry her inside the black van. "Let me go! Let me-- Hmph!" She screams but one of the guys drugs her.

Dahye closes her eyes and shifts uncomfortably on her desk, her breathing suddenly becomes uneven. 

"Let me go! I said let me go!" She screamed on top of her lungs and furiously kicked the kidnapper with all her might. A 6-year-old Dahye yelled and cried, but no one came. The kidnapper laughed evilly before caressing her cheeks with his sinful hands. His laugh echoed through the dark and dirty room.

"There's no one here. Scream all you want, baby girl." He says in a sweet manner. "Mommy! Daddy!" She kept screaming even though she clearly knew it was no use. 

"That's right. Scream all you want. Your mommy and daddy don't want you anymore." He cooed. Dahye shrieked and tried to pry off his tight grip. Her action made him slap her hard and yell at her. "Shut up or I will kill you!"

She shut up in an instant and cried silently, making the kidnapper chuckled devilishly.

Dahye needs some fresh air. But that totally forbids her to go to the restroom. As she watches the kid earlier being violated and , she is almost close to passing out. She slams her palm on her desk and wipes the sweat formed on her forehead with the other palm. She needs to get out of here. 

Ms. Song silently watches her and grows worried about her. "Ms. Jung? Is everything okay?" She asks. Dahye looks at her with her piercing eyes and nods. "I-I just need to go to the restroom." She admits, secretly hiding her current state. Ms. Song gives her the permission to go because she thinks Dahye was having a trauma.

Outside the class, she rests on the wall, inhaling and exhaling deeply. She doesn't dare to close her eyes because her worst memories will haunt her anytime. But too bad she unintentionally closes them. 

"You can't escape from me!" The kidnapper said as he scanned around the dark road, looking for a 9-year-old Dahye. She was hiding in an alley, inside a trash bin to be exact, praying hard that he would not find her. Her thumping so loud that she was scared that he might actually find her and take her back.

"Yah, Jung Dahye!" Someone shakes her shoulder, snapping her back to reality. She finally blinks rapidly and stands there lifelessly. "You okay?" The person carefully asks. Dahye looks up to see Sehun's concerned face and clears , wiping her sweat around her face. His presence always helps her get back to reality whenever she has that panic disorder. Even her grandmother couldn't do it like him. She has to rest for a few days to heal completely from the panic disorder.

"Yes," she replies coldly and shoves him aside. Before she could walk any further, Sehun grabs her by her wrist and twists her around. "You were shaking so hard and gasping for air like the other night. You are not okay."

Sehun was about to go find the headmaster of this university until he spotted someone who looked like Dahye resting on the wall with her eyes closed and her body shaking in fear. At first he didn't believe that it was her. I mean, look at Dahye now! She's not the y, dirty looking woman anymore. She looks more classy, plain but beautiful in her casual outfit; a pair of white see-through blouse matches with a pair of black skinny jeans and navy blue Converse. Her hair tied into a high loose ponytail which makes her look even brighter and less noxious.

"So? Does it matter to you?" She retorts and blows her bangs. Sehun scoffs and lets go of her wrist. "I'm being nice."

Dahye only rolls her eyes and crosses her arms. "I see you're not blonde anymore," Sehun comments and gives two thumbs up. 

"I see you're ugly anytime," she replies cockily. Sehun glares at her and she smirks. 

"You physically changed but you never really changed," Sehun clicked his tongue in annoyance. "What? This is me. The almighty Jung Dahye," Dahye says confidently and flashes him a forced grin. 

For a split second, Sehun thinks she kinda resembles of his childhood friend. The way she grinned looks like her. But it is impossible because his childhood friend is in China. Shoving the thought aside, he ignores her remark and says something else.

"You look better in this," he confesses while scanning her from eye to toe. Dahye's smirk goes even wider upon hearing him praising her. "I look good in anything." She answers which makes Sehun mentally scoff. She's so full of herself. He thinks.

"You're probably thinking I'm so full of myself 'cause that's me." 

Sehun stares at her dark brown eyes in shock. Is she a mind reader or something?

"I'm not," he lies and changes the topic. "So, why are you--"

"The university decided to let me join the cursed slash punished class because I got kicked out from your dearest Mr. Kwon, who is such an that accused me for eating a bubblegum when I clearly didn't. The damn lecturer inside this class," she points at her right, "played a movie of a kidnapping. I don't like the movie so I got out. Happy?" She explains shortly but quickly. He doesn't have to know the real reason why she was like the other night.

Sehun's jaws drop open, taking in every word that came out from her lips. He suddenly remembers what Dahye told him that night. 

I fear kidnapping the most.

Sehun decides not to ask anything about it or he will blow her up. But he still wonders why. Why is she so afraid of kidnapping? 

"Oh, okay. So do you need me to see your grandmother today?" He asks as he looks at her. The girl nods and turns on her heels, going back to the cursed class. 

"Meet me at the garden at 1." Dahye says before going in completely. She sighs when she closes the door and goes to her seat. How could he do it?  

Her anxiety attack immediately died down as Sehun shook her. His eyes. His eyes are the ones that calmed her down and they literally reminds her of her Prince. Could he be him? Dahye shakes her head and looks outside the window instead of the screen. There's no way he is her Prince. She scoffs and rolls her eyes internally. Her Prince must not be a player like that rich kid.

 
 
 
author's notes