Chapter 2

Evanescence
Chapter 2  
"Never underestimate the pain of a person. In all honesty, everyone is struggling. Just some people are better at hiding than others." - Unknown.
 
"I swear I almost peed in my pants yesterday! Darn, I thought she was going to die there!" D.O recounts as he leans on his Mercedes sports car. All of them -Kai, D.O, Baekhyun and Chanyeol- are waiting for their dear maknae, Oh Sehun, outside Seoul National University, the university they are attending at. Being the sons of the most respected families is really great. You can easily enter any universities you like. And, there are always people who will inevitably greet you wherever you go. Like now, the students who are walking past them, always greet them with a bow. Well, some girls sometimes squeal because EXO-K (that's what they called themselves) is a group of rich flower boys by day and jerkasses by night. Who would resist their dashing looks? Even, Jung Dahye, the school's unruly bag, admits that they're good looking, especially Sehun.

"Me too. Geez, is that chick sick of her life or something?" Kai adds and leans on D.O's car too, causing the owner to glare at him. "And why is that Se— oh, here he comes." His complain stops when he spots Sehun parking his car beside Baekhyun's.

"How's your night, you maknae?" Chanyeol teases and the rest snickers. "Shut it, giant." Sehun rolls his eyes and shuts his door close. "She broke up with me just now. On the freaking phone." He terms as he slings his bag on his back. Chanyeol feigned sympathetic and patted his back. "I'm sorry, bro."

"There's no need," Sehun fakes a grin. "I don't like her. I never liked her. She's so whiny." He scoffs.

"Ah, so you like wild and mysterious one, like Dahye?" Chanyeol sneered at his younger friend and received a smack on the head from the latter.

"Heck no," Sehun makes a face. "I'd better be alone for the rest of my whole life than to be with her." He shudders as he imagines him being with Dahye.

"Speaking of the devil, there she is." Baekhyun notifies and his friends follow where his eyes go.

Dahye is putting on a red lipstick on her lips inside her Chevrolet Corvette when the guys watch her. Fixing her long blonde hair one last time, Dahye puts on a sunglasses and gets out of her car. She is wearing a navy blue tanktop, covered with an ed long white blouse and paired with a pair of very short black shorts, matched with a black stilettos.

Sehun has to admit that, she really looks like a model, a pretty one to be exact. Sure, Dahye gets the looks. But what Sehun hates the most is her personality. For him, she's dark inside and out. And he is curious of why she is being like that, like a child who is a disgrace to her family. Is it only because she doesn't have anyone left in her life? But something inside Sehun says it is just not that.

Everyone knows she doesn't have anyone. What they don't know is that, Dahye actually knows who her family is. She just has no idea about their whereabouts.

Dahye blows a kiss to them when she catches them looking at her. She finally gets inside the building, doing the usual (acting cool, ignoring people's judgements and disguted looks).

"Geez, this is not a freaking fashion show!" Kai snaps even he's complete aware that Dahye's gone inside already, feeling disgusted and flustered at the same time.

Sehun only shakes his head and chuckles when he sees his brothers' red faces. "Let's go if you don't want to be late." He commands while going in first.

"For the 86th time, Jung Dahye-ssi. No chewing gums when you're in class!" Mr. Kwon, an English lecturer, hollers at the woman who is sitting at the very back next to a window and blowing the gum then making a loud pop when the bubble gum pops. Dahye raises her hands and insincerely mutters a 'Sorry, won't do it again' with a disparaging smile. Some students laugh, but some sigh and shake their heads in disillusionment.

"You're lucky that we can't complain anything since you don't have anyone to be reported about your unprincipled demeanor at this university." The lecturer plainly stated and continued his lecture. The students gasp at their lecturer's harsh words and shoot pity looks at Dahye. This is what Dahye hates the most. Their fake pity.

To be honest, Mr. Kwon's words pierce through her heart, but being the strong and hard-faced woman she is, she doesn't show her weak side to them. She is so used to people commenting her like that. But even though we're used to it, it doesn't mean that it couldn't hurt, right?

Sehun beholds Dahye curling her fist into a ball from the corner of his eyes. In his opinion, Mr. Kwon shouldn't be that bearish to her. Everyone has their own past; half is wanted to be forgotten and the other half is wanted to be treasured. Don't just carelessly hit the bull's eye. No matter how bad a person may be, he/she is still a human with feelings.

Sehun's phone suddenly rings, startling himself and the others. He mutters sorry and Mr. Kwon waves it off with a smile. Because the caller is his mom, he thinks it might be urgent, so he excuses himself and answers the call. His mom never calls him unless it is really important. Dahye scoffs at the scene in front of her. If it were her phone, she would've been kicked out from the class. How fake this lecturer is.

"Sorry, sir. I need to go," Sehun gets back with a panicked face and hurriedly grabs his bag. He makes a 'I'll call you later' sign to his friends and left, not forgetting to bow respectfully to Mr. Kwon, who lets go of him so easily.

Sehun runs and breathlessly asks one of the nurses where his father is sent to. His family is very well-known, so it is pretty easy to ask.

As he calms himself, he slowly opens the door and meets his Mom sitting beside his Dad. "Mom, is Dad okay?" He half-whispers to his Mom. She turns around and smiles, telling him his Dad is okay.

"He just overworked himself." His Mom sighs. "I told him not to, but you know your father," She smiles softly as he holds her husband's hand. "Stubborn as always."

Sehun glances at his sleeping father and sighs. His mother was right, he is indeed stubborn. For his Dad, work is more important than his health, but it's not more important than his family. That's what he loves about his father.

"It's nothing serious, right?" He asks again and his Mom shakes her head. "Dr. Song said he could check out the day after tomorrow."

 

 

When the class is finally over, Dahye leaves first before her lecturer. She is so sick of him right now because of what he's said to her. She really has the guts to punch him in the face and crush him like a mashed potato. Grunting, she presses the unlock button from her car key and gets inside.

Don't you ever make Jung Dahye mad. When you do, she always takes her anger out on her car, speeding like there's nobody around her.

"Halmeoni~" Dahye calls in a cute tone as she opens the door and spots her grandmother lying on the bed while reading a book. Her grandmother puts down her book on her lap and smiles brightly when she sees her favorite grandchild greet her.

"How are you, Halmeoni?" Dahye asks as she sits down on a chair, facing her grandmother. "I'm perfectly fine, Jungie. How's school? Have you eaten?" Her grandmother replies while Dahye's blonde hair.

"School's perfect and yes, I've eaten." she lies. School and she definitely has no mood to eat anything in the moment. "Have you?" Dahye changes the topic back to her, she doesn't want her grandmother to worry about her when she has herself to worry about.

"I have, nurse Im fed me just now. How's school, Jungie-ah?" Her grandmother asks again. "Where's your boyfriend?" Dahye sighs. So her grandmother isn't any better. And she's gotten even worse.

"School's awesome and he's not in Korea." Dahye replies patiently.

"When is he going back here? I want to see who has caught my grandchild's fragile heart before I die." Her grandmother says and chuckles dreamily.

"Don't say that, Halmeoni." Dahye frowns and hits her grandmother's arm so lightly.

"Alright, alright. No more." Her grandmother squeezes Dahye's hand and kisses her temple.

"I'm gonna see dr. Kim, be right back." Dahye caresses her grandmother's hand and leaves to find dr. Kim.

"Apparently," dr. Kim sighs as he fixes her thick glasses. "Yes, your grandmother has gotten worse. The tumor in her brain is getting bigger. Maybe, she just 2 months left."

Dahye slumps her shoulders when she hears the news. "2 months left? Isn't there a way to cure her?" She helplessly asks. "Like having a surgery?"

Dr. Kim nodded. "But the percentage of it is only 33, and it is really a miracle if she survives. Once the tumor is removed, maybe, just maybe, she'll be fine."

"Then do it!"

"Are you sure?" Dr. Kim uneasily asks. "If it fails--"

"Nonsense! It won't fail, I knew it!" Dahye almost cries. No, she couldn't cry. She needs to show them she isn't a weak woman.

"Fine, I'll set the date and time. Nurse Im will give your the papers." Dr. Kim decides as he writes something on a paper.

"How much will the surgery cost?"

"5000 dollars, do you have that much?" Dr. Kim raises a brow at her. Dahye scoffs lightly. Of course she does, you dummy. She's a racer, remember? She just needs to participate in a racing game and voila, if she wins, a big amount of money is on her palms.

"I'll transfer it to you once the surgery is done." Dahye says and stands up, bowing slightly and leaving his office.

Dahye sits on the hospital's park bench, burying her face with her hands. Even if she survives, I couldn't continue to lie about the boyfriend thing. How am I going to fulfill her wish? What if she knows that I never had a boyfriend in the first place? What am I going to do?

Little does she know that Sehun is watching her from afar. "What is she doing here?" Sehun asks himself slowly approaches Dahye, even when he's kinda scared of her.

"What are you doing here?" He asks, startling Dahye and making her squeak. He bites back a laughter when he hears her squeak. He thinks it's cute for a girl like her.

His brown orbs, literally remind her of someone; her playmate.

 

 

"3, 2, 1! Ready or not here I come!" Dahye squealed happily as she tried to search for her playmate, whom she called 'My Prince'. They had promised to not tell each other's names until they were 16.

Dahye giggled when she spotted the bush was shaking. "My Prince~ I know where you're hiding~" she sang song and surprised him from the back, which made the latter to stomp his feet and pout. "You're so good, Dana. It's not fair." He mumbled. Dahye only stuck her tongue out and made an 'L' shape using her hand.

Realizing she's been staring at him, she clears and looks away. "I come here everyday. And why are you here anyway?" She retorts back.

Sehun shrugs and sits on the bench with her. He feels awkward, but never mind, he's exhausted anyway. "Are you sick or---"

"None of your business." She cuts him off harshly with a glare and it doesn't affect him that much though since he's gotten that a lot from her. Well, except for yesterday. He was pretty much drunk. So,... Yeah.

What he's seeing right now is Dahye's eyes. They are fierce, but Sehun swears he could see a glint of sadness and worries in them.

"Your reputation might be ruined if someone recognizes us together." She snaps and stands up, brushing the dirt on her off. "So, I'll leave first." And she leaves without glancing back at him.

Who's she visiting on the hospital? Why is she that sad? Curious Sehun is curious.

 
 
 
author's notes
I'm starting to think that this story makes no sense ;_; geez, I hope you'd like it! ;) leave some comments please! And don't forget to subscribe :) I love you all~ - J