Chapter 3

Evanescence
Chapter 3  
"Every human walks around with a certain kind of sadness. They may not wear it on their sleeves, but it's there if you look deep." - Taraji P. Henson
 
"Wanna join later? The price is huge, I tell you." Jinsung, Dahye's fellow in racing, says through the phone. Shooting a glance at her sleeping grandmother, Dahye sighs and replies a simple 'I'm lazy.'

"Really? You're going to regret it." She hears him chuckle and she could tell Jinsung is probably smirking right now. As she chuckles along, she stands up from her seat, leaving her grandmother's room. She doesn't want her grandmother to know that she's still racing.

"How much is the price exactly?" Dahye asks as she gives a light bow to a familiar nurse she's walking past. The sound of her clicking stilettos comes to a halt as she raises her brows in interest when Jinsung tells her the amount of the price.

"$4000."

Dahye's face shows a tint of grimace as she starts walking again, heading back to her grandmother's room to grab her things. "Fine, I'll join. Usual place at 10, right?"

 

---

 

It is 9 PM and Dahye is preparing to leave. She bids her grandmother a goodbye and kisses her forehead, even when she's asleep. Dahye loves her grandmother from the bottom of her heart although she's not her real grandmother. She's the only who she loves and trusts. Even Jinsung, Dahye doesn't really consider him as her friend. She only sees him as a someone whom she is used to talking to.

For her, a friend never once exists.

Carefully closing the door, her heart almost pops out of its place when she meets dr. Kim's usual sleepy face standing in front of her.

"Yes?" She calls out, already in her usual poker face.

"Your grandmother's surgery is scheduled to next week. At 3 PM." He informs and smiles. "So, if she couldn't sur--"

"She will survive." Dahye cuts him off through gritted teeth. Even though she likes negative over positive more, she doesn't like this one. Dr. Kim shrugs and adjusts his glasses. "I'm just saying. I suggest you better fulfill her wish about your non-exist boyfriend."

Dahye shoots him a surprised look, clearly amused. How in the world could he know that she doesn't have a boyfriend? Dr. Kim chuckles when he catches her look as if he understands what that look means.

"Judging by your looks," he pauses and eyes her from head to toe. "I think real men are afraid of you. Better change that." He finishes with a click on his tongue and walks away, laughing.

Dahye could only stare at his back and blow her bangs. "Tch, like you've found yourself the love of your life." She comments quietly, but dr. Kim doesn't miss that. Instead, he just shakes his head as if her words don't affect him.

But, the truth is, they do.

In his 29 years of living, he has never once gone on a date. Dr. Kim gets the look, wealth and he definitely is a woman's dream man. But Dahye is always curious of why the heck hasn't he found a partner. Geez, he's almost thirty.

You ask why, Dahye? It's because he's picky. He wants a perfect life partner.

 

 

"You're here." Jinsung says when Dahye rolls her glass window down and looks around the road which is flooded with bad guys and girls like her. Tonight, there are about 20 people who are participating the race. Who won't anyway? The price is 4000 freaking dollars!

Some of the contestants' faces suddenly fall when they notice Jung Dahye's fire red Chevrolet Corvette warming up at the very back. When Jung Dahye's there, there's no chance for you to win. Don't know who said that, but it's kinda true though.

Dahye is the most feared racer in this abandoned circuit. She doesn't care about her safety. Moreover, she doesn't even care about her life. She just speeds up in order to get the first place. Dare to take the risks if you want to achieve something. That's what Dahye's motto is.

Playthis song! It adds the feels!

"Of course, I'm here. Oh, by the way, who gets the first place?" She asks as she presses the engine, causing her car to produce a very loud and long vroom!. Jinsung fixes his snapback and smirks. "Kang Dasom's boyfie, Park Tae Jin."

"That dude? My bully's dear boyfriend? Tch, he really never gives up." Dahye shakes her head and presses the engine again. Hearing her arrogance, Jinsung laughs and says, "You sure you can win this? You're like in the 18th place, you know?"

"I'm Jung Dahye. Anything is possible." She grins shortly and Jinsung just snickers. He's so used to it.

"Then, the game is starting. Jinsung gives her a pat on her shoulder and mutters a friendly good luck. Dahye responds him with with a nod and an ok sign then rolls her glass window up, closing it completely. She still manages to chew a bubble gum.

As the flag is being swung the third time, Dahye smirks before starting off smoothly. In a blink, she already passes 3 cars, so she's now in the 15th place. The race is only going to take 3 laps, so she has to be fast.

When the checkerboard flag is now visible in both Dahye and Taejin's eyes from afar, both of them press the gas. Too bad that Taejin's car moves faster than Dahye's and Jinsung is almost sure that Dahye's is going to lose this time. Everyone is anxious tonight. Well, they always are whenever it's between Taejin and Dahye.

Dahye changes her gears and presses the gas harder, making her car moves faster and takes the first place, not forgetting to smirk at her rival before storming off.

As expected, Dahye wins the race. Although she wins it, nobody congratulates her, except Jinsung. Dahye hates people who give you smiles and congratulations even when their faces clearly say ' you I'm better than you', so she tells them to back off and leave her alone.

"Yo, sis! That was almost!" Jinsung exclaimed out of nowhere. "Yeah, thanks, dude. I'm sleepy, bye!" Dahye coolly waves and goes to take the price then leave the place.

Jinsung never understands this wild woman. When you get something big, you will always get surprised and happy or you will shed some tears of joy. But Jung Dahye, she's different. She never smiles or laughs. Just like this, she just waves it off and acts like it's not big deal.

Before returning to her apartment, Dahye stops by a minimarket to buy some packs of ramen and several cups of instant coffee.

Putting some packs of ramen on the basket, she walks around to look for instant coffee. When she takes several cups of instant coffee and put them on the basket, someone takes one of it too and Dahye absentmindedly looks up to the person.

Her lips quirks up to a tini tiny small smile when she notices the person who's holding the cup of instant coffee is Sehun. Dahye places her basket aside and crosses her arms.

"Rich kid like you drink coffee like this?" She speaks in a mocking tone and smirks. Sehun, who's been examining the coffee, of course, gets startled and almost dropped it.

"Holy shi-- Oh, Dahye it's you." He semi-glares at the woman standing beside her. "And what's wrong with rich kid drinking this? It's delicious."

Dahye only nods and unconsciously checks her watch. "Aren't you afraid of kidnapping?" Dahye asks, all of sudden. It's so not like her. Usually, if Sehun replies her sarcastic questions, she would shut up and leave him alone.

"Kidnapping? Who would want to kidnap me? I'm a big guy now." He answers with a scoff. Dahye shrugs. "You came from a rich family and maybe they want your money by kidnapping you? Anything is possible." Anything is possible. Dahye likes this phrase so much.

Sehun almost laughs, but Dahye's glare shuts him up. "Nah, it's impossible. Oh, so now you're worried about me?" There comes cocky Sehun.

"Oh hell yes, I really am." Dahye sarcastically replies and rolls her eyes. She puts two cups of instant coffee more on the basket and walks past him, heading to the cashier.

Sehun does the same too and catches her up. "Aren't I be the one who should ask you that? What is a girl doing here alone at 12 AM? Aren't you afraid of kidnapping?" He asks as he places his things before hers.

"It's all $35." The worker announces. Dahye hands her $50 and grabs the plastic full of her things. "Yes, I'm afraid of kidnapping the most. But I can take care of myself." She retorts quickly and leaves first.

Sehun actually expected her to say no. Isn't Jung Dahye not afraid of anything? Out of all dangerous crimes, why does she fear kidnapping the most?

He quickly pays his coffees and goes out of the minimarket just to see Dahye pinned by four s/gangsters against her car. All of sudden, Sehun abruptly drops his things on the floor and punches a guy who is trying to touch Dahye. He doesn't know why he did that, but he just did. Instincts? Maybe.

"Oh look, her boyfriend is here." One of them says and plays with Dahye's blonde hair. The punched guy wipes the blood on the corner of his mouth and is about to hit Sehun back, but his friend stops him. "Stop it, Jinyoung. He's Oh Sehun."

The punched who is called Jinyoung, smirks and tries to kiss Dahye. He thinks Sehun is really Dahye's boyfriend, so he does that just to take his revenge on the punch earlier. Thankfully, she turns to her right, so the kiss lands on her left cheek. Even if she wears a ty outfit doesn't mean she is cheap. Nevertheless, she feels disgusted.

Sehun immediately throws another hard punch on Jinyoung's face, which makes his friends release Dahye and help Jinyoung up. Dahye takes the chance to give Sehun a signal to run and they run.

The four guys then chase after them. As they are coming closer, Sehun grabs Dahye's hand, helping her to run faster. At that moment, Dahye feels a familiar feeling rush all over her body. She vowed to never feel this feeling ever again, but now it comes back. And the person who sends the feeling is Oh Sehun, someone who is in a different level from her.

When they reach the corner, they hid in an alley. Panting hard, Sehun pins her against the wall and uses his hand to cover Dahye's mouth because she pants and shakes too hard. He looks at her in the eyes, trying to calm her down. Dahye is not afraid of being dead, so why is she shaking so hard right now? Is any of her past related with kidnapping?

Sehun watches the four guys running past the alley and heaves a long sigh. He lets go of Dahye and says, "They're gone." Dahye only nods and rests her head on the wall.

What has just happened is a total dejavu to her.

"Get her! Don't lose her!" A 9-year-old Dahye ran like there's no tomorrow even when she didn't know where to go. She just ran and ran.

"Yah, Jung Dahye!" Sehun calls when he notices that she's trembling and sweating. "You okay?"

Dahye's eyes snap open and she blinks them several times before nodding. Just like that, she goes back to normal and leaves the alley first.

Sehun is freaking curious to the core. The Dahye in front of him is not the usual Dahye. Instead of asking, he just keeps quite and follows her behind. Dahye abruptly halts and turns around, causing Sehun to stop walking too. "Thanks." She simply says, but it's genuine.

"Just thanks?" Sehun scoffs. Dahye pretends that she doesn't hear anything and just keeps walking. As she walks, she recalls the scene where the gangsters called Sehun her boyfriend. Ding. Boyfriend. She could use him as her temporary fake boyfriend.

Again, she turns around and stares right into Sehun's eyes. "Will you be my boyfriend?" She straightforwardly asks. Sehun of course is taken aback by her sudden confession. He just stands there like an idiot.

"My fake boyfriend, I mean. For only 3 months." She adds while fiddling her fingers at her back. She needs to keep her cool pose.

Seeing Sehun's same reaction, she rolls her eyes and gives up. "You know what? Forget that I ever---"

"Fine. But on one condition." Sehun finally says, walking closer to her.

Dahye raises her brows in amusement. "And that is?"

Sehun eyes her clothes and flipped Dahye's blonde hair. "Change your style. I don't want to be seen with a bad-dressed girlfriend, it will ruin my reputation." He smirks and Dahye rolls her eyes.

"You'll only be my boyfriend in front of my grandmother." She snaps and yanks his hand away from her hair. "My look doesn't matter to this," she adds.

Sehun shrugs and shoves his hands in his pockets. "Fine, then sorry. Find someone else." He grins evilly and walks ahead. Dahye rubs her temple and sighs before calling out his name again.

"Yes?" Sehun innocently blinks.

"I'll change it. But give me time." Dahye half-heartedly says and she regrets it.

"Good," he beams. Actually, Sehun doesn't entirely dislike Dahye. It's just her poker face and cold attitude are what irk him the most. But being Dahye's fake boyfriend for 3 months isn't a bad idea either. Maybe there will be a day when Dahye is going to open up to him. And maybe that day is when Dahye's ice will be melted.

 
 
 
author's notes
35 SUBS AND 4 UPVOTES?! OH MY BUDDHA THANKS SO MUCH!:* heyo my readers! I'm back after a short hiatus. Today was actually the last day of my monthly exam and I couldn't answer like 8 to 10 question in math. Usually it's not that hard -_- anyway, comment down there about what you think of this chapter and subscribe! And upvote if you find this story interesting! ;) *throws roses without thorns*