The bodyguard

Protect the Princess!

The bodyguard

 

“So did you get colder water?” a lean and muscular man asked. The girl whom he was speaking to nodded.

“Of course I had to. She’d have my head if I didn’t. But do you know what? After I added the ice and took it to her she said she didn’t want it anymore!” the girl collapsed onto a chair. “How am I supposed to carry on living with a woman who thinks ice cold water is ing lukewarm?!”

The man’s eyes widened and he looked around before hushing the girl. “Yah, watch your mouth! You’re in the palace!”

“Kwangsoo, you’re such a goody two shoes! None of the guards are going to report us for swearing. It’d be one thing if I cursed in front of the king.” The girl chuckled.

“Because you’re not careful Hwayoung, I have to be extra careful!” Kwangsoo ran a rough scarred hand through his dark hair.

A mischievous grin lit up on Hwayoung’s face.

“Yah! Kang Hwayoung, what’s with that face?” Kwangsoo stammered.

“If your reaction was that bad when I said ing…I can’t imagine how bad it’ll be when I do this.”

“What…what are you going to do? Whatever it is…don’t do it!”

Hwayoung took a deep breath and stood up on her chair. “The princess is a ! She is a spoilt, annoying who thinks everything should go her way! She doesn’t give a ing second thought for other people and that’s why she should go and drown!”

Luhan, who had been overhearing the whole conversation, bit his lower lip. From the sound of it, the princess wasn’t exactly the nicest person. Had he gotten himself into a big mess? Was he making the right choice? He wished his father was here to guide him…but of course he wasn’t and he wouldn’t ever be there again. Luhan sighed. He was about to enter an extremely dangerous territory right now. He could easily go back if he wanted to; escape all of this nonsense and return to his simple life. However if he didn’t do this, he may never find out what had been bugging him ever since his father’s death. He clenched his fists. That’s right, he couldn’t go back. Not now that he had known what injustice his father had gone through. He would get his revenge.

Luhan’s thoughts were interrupted by a man approaching him. The man was expressionless and he told Luhan to follow him. Luhan gulped and did as he was told.

The man didn’t speak to Luhan throughout the long winding journey to the King’s office which made Luhan even more nervous. He was slightly relieved when they had reached the room. The man’s knocks were answered by what Luhan guessed to be the King’s voice.

“Come in.” A bead of sweat rolled down Luhan’s face. This was it. There was no turning back now. He pulled on a fake smile as the man opened the door and beckoned for him to go in.

The King’s office was not how Luhan had imagined it to be. It was very…office like. Luhan had envisioned patterned sofas, elaborate wallpapers and intricate carpets but there was no such thing here. The walls were mahogany and floorboards were oak. The furniture inside was simple and office-like: green chairs, plain desk, little decorations. Luhan felt at ease within the simplicity. He didn’t feel like an oddball as he had expected. The King sat on a chair in the middle of the room rather than the one behind the desk. He was reading a newspaper and smiling to himself. Luhan studied his features before accepting his request to sit down. The King was well-groomed as to be expected. His white beard was trimmed to what Luhan thought as perfection. The folds and creases of his skin displayed knowledge and secrets he had accumulated over his years: knowledge and secrets that Luhan would soon uncover.

Luhan seated himself opposite the King. Now that he was face to face with him, he was less nervous. Instead a new feeling was boiling within Luhan- rage. The King placed the newspaper onto the table in front of them and sent a smile to Luhan.

“You were the top candidate to become the princess’ personal bodyguard.” He commented as eyed the young man. Luhan smirked. Of course he was. You couldn’t get better than him.

“That is great to hear.”

“Do you know why I hired you?” The king leaned against his chair, a grin playing on his lips. Luhan raised an eyebrow. Was this a trick question?

“Because…I was the top candidate?”

“No.” the king handed Luhan a piece of paper. From the title, Luhan made out that it was the contract he was to be bound to. “I picked you because you were Lufan’s son.” Luhan immediately gritted his teeth. How did the King know that?

“…How did you know?” Luhan stammered.

“How…? More like how wouldn’t I know. Your interests, your hobbies, your face: it all gave it away. Besides I have seen you when you were young. You haven’t changed a bit.”

“Great!” Luhan lied. “That’s pretty cool. I had no idea my father knew the king! I don’t know if I should be feeling this elated.” The King chuckled. He seemed to see through Luhan.

“Good. Anyway, that is the contract. You can read through it and then sign. If there is anything you have a problem with then tell me.” Luhan nodded. He began to scan through the contract. Nothing fishy was visible so he signed it and then handed it to the King.

“You will start work tomorrow. You can go explore the palace if you want to now.” The King nodded. Luhan did a deep bow before he exited the room. He hadn’t realised he had been holding his breath until he had left the room. The King knew about him…he should have changed his name! Cursing himself, Luhan went off to explore.

He came across a strange room during his wanders. It had a huge sign stuck to it reading:

DO NOT ENTER!

Of course Luhan wasn’t going to listen to a stupid sign. He pushed the door open quietly, just in case there was someone inside. And there was. A woman lay sprawled across a bed. A blanket slumped at another corner of the room. Was this a bedroom? Why would they have a bedroom in such a weird place…?

Luhan neared the girl slowly and quietly. The woman had a book over her face. One of her hands was dangling off the bed. Who actually dared to sleep in the palace like this? Luhan picked her draped hand and lifted them back onto the bed. He proceeded to drag the blanket and cover her body with it. Then he lifted off the book and placed it on a table. He crouched in front of the girl studying her face. He had seen her before. She was the girl who he had saved from suspicious men the other day. What was she doing in the palace? Was she a worker? She looked pretty rich to him before…

He hadn’t realised how pretty she was until now. Her eyes were closed and she looked pretty much angelic. Luhan found himself staring at her face for quite a while. All of a sudden her eyes fluttered open. She stared wide eyed at Luhan who was not even inches away from her. Luhan realised how this must look. She probably thought he was some sort of ert! He noticed opening wide. She was about to scream!

Luhan didn’t even know what he was doing. He just didn’t want to make any trouble before his first day even began! He leaned closer, eliminating the distance between their faces and kissed her. That did the trick. She shut up straight away. Luhan moved away coughing. What the heck did he just do? He could have covered up …why on earth had he kissed her?!

“You…!” the girl pointed her slender index finger straight at him. “You just kissed me!” She flushed bright red.

“Err…well…” Luhan tried to think of a good explanation. “You were about to scream…”

“Well isn’t that natural if you found someone staring at you whilst you were sleeping!” she exclaimed. Luhan bit his lip. He had created himself more trouble.

“Look I just didn’t want to create trouble before I even start working here.” He sighed. The girl raised her eyebrows.

“You’re working here? As what?” She was still bright red.

“Yoona-ssi.” A knock from the door interrupted their conversation.

“Yeah?” the girl answered. So her name was Yoona?

“The King wishes to speak to you.”

“What? Ughh, what does he want now…I’m coming!” she pushed herself off from the bed and glared at Luhan. Luhan wondered what she was that the King summoned her. Was she a chancellor or something? No…she looked too young.

“Yah, you! I’ll remember what you did here and count it as payment for saving me.” She spat. “Mr. Luhan.” Luhan felt a little flustered that she had remembered him from their last meeting. He watched her silky brown hair flutter as she exited the room.

“Well then…” Luhan trailed to himself. “I think that’s enough adventure for today. You’re going home before you cause any more trouble.” 

 



A/N: They already kiss in the first chapter... Anyway this is much shorter than the rest of the chapters (hopefully) so don't get put off by it's length. Thank you for taking interest in this story if you have :>