Flustered

Protect the Princess!

Flustered

 

Feeling a lot better after two days of resting, Luhan had finally returned to his house to pack up. It hadn’t been long since he had moved in with his mother yet he was leaving already. He had pondered for a while as to whether his mother would miss his presence. He had been living with her for two years or so meaning it could be possible. But then considering how contempt she was after she married Mr. Kang to the point where she never visited Luhan or his father made it possible that she would not miss Luhan the slightest. Luhan shrugged to himself as he zipped up his suitcase. It wouldn’t matter to him anyway. It had always been like this. The only person who had ever understood him was his father who was gone anyway.

Luhan took one last look at his room. It was pretty empty save for the bed, wardrobe, desk and chest of drawers. He had to admit he had grown quite attached to the room. It had served him well these couple of years. During the times when he would feel left out and depressed this room would offer him the peaceful solitude and comfort he needed. This was the room where he would unleash all of his rage and complicated thoughts.

With a deep sigh Luhan closed the door to the room only to re-enter after remembering he had left the most important item in his life behind. Luhan rushed to the closed curtains and opened them hastily. The box was still there to his relief. He placed it onto the desk. He had forgotten to close it properly last time. He opened it up and re-folded the letter. When he was about to put the letter back in he noticed the box was a little different. The base of the box seemed to be lifted. Curiously, Luhan pulled up the base and to his surprise it revealed a secret compartment. On the bottom of the real base, Luhan found a ridiculously detailed carving of a lotus flower. It was made unique by the strange ethereal looking markings that it was filled with. Luhan took a mental note to investigate anything concerning this carving. This could be vital evidence! He closed up the box and placed it carefully into his bag trying to control the pacing of his heartbeat. Luhan felt a ray of hope that maybe his father would get the justice he deserved.

 

 “I guess I’ll be going then…” Luhan said.

“Good luck with your job.” Mr. Kang smiled. Luhan sent a returning smile to Mr. Kang and one to Jae Hee. Jae Hee seemed a little shocked by Luhan’s smile to the point where she made no reaction.

“The King really commanded this?” Mrs. Lu repeated for the nth time. “Are you sure?” Luhan was beginning to get a little suspicious with his mother’s disbelief concerning such a trivial matter.

“Yeah…” he trailed. “In order to make sure the Princess doesn’t land herself in any more danger.”

“…I guess there’s nothing we can do then.” Mrs. Lu sighed. “Just be wary of the King. He might not like you very much.” She added hesitantly. Luhan raised an eyebrow at this statement. He knew why the King wouldn’t be fond of him but what was the reason his mother thought the same? Did she know his father had been murdered?

“Why?” Luhan asked.

“Why…?” Mrs. Lu was taken aback by Luhan’s question. Luhan usually didn’t respond to her nonsensical words. “Err…well…you’re a commoner and…you’re getting along with the princess which he might take the wrong way. That's why I presume so…”

“Oh right.” Luhan interrupted flatly. Why did he think his mother would have bothered to try to find out more about his father’s death? Of course she would have just labelled it as an accident like the police.  “Well…I’ll be leaving.”

With those words, Luhan left to his car without turning back. He didn’t know when he would see this family again because frankly, he didn’t plan on visiting.

 

 “L..Luhan!” Yoona stuttered with an awfully wide smile when she saw Luhan that morning.

“Hey Yoona.” Luhan greeted. “I’ll be sleeping in the room next door to yours. Don’t try anything fishy again because I’ll get you!” he chuckled.

“You know I’m sorry about that!” Yoona huffed.

“How can I be sure?” Luhan grinned playfully.

“Jeez Luhan, you’re asking for a fight.” Jinwoo pooped up behind Luhan and smacked him on the back.

“Oww! Don’t hit me so hard!” Luhan yelped. “Do you see this violence Yoona? Aren’t you going to do something about it?”

“Huh?” Yoona titled her head at the sight.

“I’m your precious bodyguard! I can’t be treated like this!” Luhan turned around to face Jinwoo who was smirking. “Jinwoo you better run!”

“Why is it so lively so early in the morning?!” Hwayoung yelled as she raced down the stairs. Kwangsoo was a few steps behind her.

“My, my, that looks like fun.” Kwangsoo chuckled.

Luhan was chasing Jinwoo all over the room, trying to land at least one punch on him. Hwayoung and Kwangsoo joined Yoona who was watching the whole situation with wide eyes.

“Princess, save me!” Jinwoo cried to Yoona. Yoona felt a little airy and light headed at those words. She had never been included in these sorts of things before.

“L..Luhan!” she yelled with a smile. “You should stop now.”

Luhan and Jinwoo stopped dead in their tracks at the sight of Yoona’s smile.

“Uhh…I’ll stop…” Luhan trailed. He scratched his head meekly. He still wasn’t used to Yoona’s smile.

“You know Luhan, because of you I feel like the princess is a lot more approachable.” Jinwoo whispered. “She doesn’t seem so scary now.”

“She never was scary.” Luhan smirked. “She just needed someone to help her find her way.”

 

 “Just because the duke is returning, why do I have to take dance lessons?” Yoona moaned for the nth time.

“Princess, you haven’t danced in ages so your skills may have become rusty. For someone so important you can only show your best.” The dance teacher said firmly. He whirled around the hall with Yoona, awing Luhan who had never seen this type of dance before.  

A maid came in with a glass of juice for Yoona and spotted Luhan sitting alone. She walked up to him with a giggle. Luhan was known as one of the palace heart throbs by the maids and butlers. She had never spoken to him before.

“L..Luhan ssi, are you feeling better?” she mumbled. Luhan didn’t turn to face her at all. His eyes were fixated on the twirling Yoona. The maid tried again.

“Luhan ssi.” She repeated in a louder voice. This time Luhan turned with a jump. “Are you feeling okay?”

“Huh?” Luhan trailed. After a few seconds he realised what she was talking about. “Ahh, yes I am.” He smiled. “I’ve only got a slight sniffle left.”

“Jeez, the princess threw you into so much trouble!” The maid huffed. “It’s all her fault you were so poorly! I wish she would start thinking about other people a bit more and change. I’ve never seen such a selfish princess.” Luhan had forgotten most of the maids and butlers felt malice towards Yoona. The cold and harsh words the maid spoke made him shudder. Yoona wasn’t a bad person; she was just bad at expressing herself. Luhan was determined to change the opinion people held of her.

“It’s not her fault.” Luhan said. “You don’t even know her personally yet you judge her based on what you’ve heard around the palace. Tell me, have you ever tried to talk to her?” Luhan cocked his head with a smirk. The maid who was lost for words sheepishly shook her head.

“I thought so.” Luhan said. “Isn’t it you who should change then?”

“I…I’m sorry, I was wrong!” The maid was completely red. Quickly, she placed the drink on the nearest table and hurried off. By this time, Yoona was taking a break and walked towards Luhan. She gratefully gulped down the juice.

“I see you were getting up close and personal with that maid.” She huffed angrily.

“Why are you so mad?” Luhan blinked a couple of times. “Could it be your jealous I might devote my life to someone other than you?” he grinned devilishly.

“W..what?! Why would I think such thoughts?! I’m not even angry!” she shouted with a flustered face. “Y..You’re just a bodyguard!”

“Okay, okay, calm down.” Luhan whistled. “You’re right. I am just a bodyguard so you can’t think of me like that.” Luhan stuck out his tongue and snatched the glass of juice from Yoona. He downed the whole thing in one shot, not realizing how red Yoona was turning.

“I..in..indirect….k..k..iss.” Yoona whispered to herself.

 

 “Yo Luhan!” Hwayoung called when she found Luhan and Yoona returning from dance lessons. “Ahh…ermm…hello…Yoona.” She mumbled to Yoona. Yoona looked at Hwayoung suspiciously.

“Ermm…” Hwayoung stammered. “The girls from our high school wanted to get together again.” She started with a deep breath. “They want both of us to come.”

“I don’t want to go.” Yoona replied without hesitation. Her answer was firm and unshakable. Or so Hwayoung thought dejectedly.

“Why not?” Luhan coughed. “It’ll be great to see how everyone is doing.”

“No way. I don’t want to see them.” Yoona shook her head.

“Why?” Luhan pressed.

“Why…” Yoona wondered why Luhan was so aggressive with this. He would usually treat everything nonchalantly. Could it be he wanted to go to her reunion? But why? Nonetheless Yoona definitely didn’t want to see her high school classmates again so she tried to come up with an excuse. “I don’t want everyone to think I have no freedom. If I go you’ll have to go as well and then they’ll all know I have to have someone keep watch of me 24/7.” She fibbed triumphantly.

“Hmm…” Luhan tilted his head sideways. He caught a glance of Hwayoung who looked at him with hopeful eyes. “I’ll pretend to be your boyfriend then.” Luhan suggested.

“What?!” Both Yoona and Hwayoung exclaimed.

“I think it’s a great idea!” Luhan continued. “Besides I’m so prefect they’ll all be jealous of you.” Yoona rolled her eyes with a sigh. Why was Luhan so insistent? Why didn’t he understand she didn’t want to go? But then the idea of Luhan as a boyfriend sounded strangely pleasing to her. Maybe she should give it a try…

“…Fine.” Yoona blew a raspberry. “I’ll go.”