The duke's return

Protect the Princess!

The duke's return

 

“So the duke has returned the other day from his travels and we’re holding a party for him today?” Luhan said.

“Yep.” Jinwoo nodded. “You’ll have to be on your toes though Luhan. There’ll be a lot of people.”

“I know.” Luhan smirked. “I’ll make sure no one suspicious gets close to Yoona.”

“Wow, calling her by her name?” Jinwoo raised an eyebrow. “Since when did this development happen?”

“Since you stopped getting any screen time.” Luhan winked before jogging off to Yoona’s room leaving behind an angry Jinwoo.

“Damn you Luhan.” Jinwoo muttered. “Today I’ll be driving!”

 

Luhan knocked on the door before opening it at Hwayoung’s signal.

“Look Luhan!” Hwayoung smiled as she pointed to Yoona. Yoona jumped slightly at the appearance of Luhan and her face was evidently growing redder. “How do you like my effort? She looks like a goddess.” Hwayoung chuckled.

“Since when did this development happen?” Luhan said. “Just a couple of days ago, you were at each other necks.”

“Yeah well times have changed.” Hwayoung pouted. “Anyway doesn’t she look amazing?!”

Luhan looked over to Yoona who looked very tense for some reason which he couldn’t put his finger on. However she did indeed look like a goddess with the beige simple yet elegant dress she wore and her minimal makeup which suited her a lot. It was a miracle that Luhan’s heart did not beat at the sight of her. Sometimes Luhan wondered if he really was straight.

“Well…?” Hwayoung pressed impatiently.

“Uhh…” Luhan snapped out of his thoughts. “Yeah, you look really pretty.” He smiled. Yoona’s face by this time was burning a very bright red.

“O..of course I would!” she stuttered. “I am the crown princess after all.”

“All right crown princess, if you’re done then let’s get to the car. Jinwoo is waiting.” Luhan said. The three went back to where Jinwoo was eagerly stood.

 

“There’ll be so much free food for us all!” Jinwoo exclaimed whilst driving. “And they won’t just be your ordinary meal. It’ll be made by top chefs!”

“Now that you mentioned food I’ve realised I’m quite hungry…” Hwayoung moaned. “I think I’ll eat first thing. What are you going to do Yoona?”

“Me?” Yoona tilted her head. “I’m going to have to greet everyone first.” She sighed dejectedly.

“And I’ll have to follow…” Luhan slumped against the window. He sat beside Jinwoo on the front seats whilst Yoona and Hwayoung sat at the back.

“So…I heard the duke has a son our age.” Hwayoung grinned. “Is he handsome?”

“I swear Hwayoung you fall for every guy you see.” Jinwoo rolled his eyes. “Give it a break.”

“Well I’ve never fallen for you!” Hwayoung stuck out her tongue. “So how’s his face?” Hwayoung returned her attention to Yoona.

“Well…uh….I guess he’s handsome?” Yoona said.

“You guess?” Hwayoung slumped against the seats. “Jesus Yoona, your standards are way too high!”

“I am the crown princess after all…” Yoona muttered under her breath not realising that her eyes were unconsciously trailing to the back of Luhan’s head. “Say Luhan.” She mumbled.

“Huh?” Luhan turned his head to face her.

“What sort of girls do you like?” Yoona asked. Hwayoung nodded eagerly, pressing Luhan to answer. Even Jinwoo was curious.

“Well…I’m not really sure…” Luhan chuckled uncertainly. “I don’t really have an ideal type.”

“Then what sort of girlfriends have you had before?” Hwayoung asked.

“The last time I dated someone was back in college…I don’t think I would date someone like her again.” Luhan said.

“Wow…that’s a while ago…” Hwayoung said. “What was her personality like?”

“Err…she was rather eccentric…” Luhan coughed. “Very…eccentric…”

“I don’t think we should ask anymore.” Jinwoo laughed. “Look at his face! He looks scared to death at the memory.”

“Then if you were to choose between me and Yoona now…who would you date?” Hwayoung asked with a grin.

“Hey, why don’t you ask me that?” Jinwoo sighed in the background.

“Neither.” Luhan said without hesitation.

“What?!” Both Hwayoung and Yoona stammered. “Why?”

“Well Yoona is the crown princess which is quite a bother. She’s also a handful.” Luhan said without so much as glancing at the furious princess.

“What about me?” Hwayoung pouted. “What’s wrong with me?”

“We get along too well.” Luhan said with a straight face.

“Just give up on him.” Jinwoo pouted. “That dude is beyond help. Come to me instead.”

 

 The ride to the hotel where the party would be hosted ended with everyone ignoring Jinwoo. Hwayoung went off to find food whilst Jinwoo had to assist the guards. Luhan and Yoona were left to greet the thousands of people that were there.

Am I really not your ideal type?” Yoona asked for the nth time.

“Absolutely not.” Luhan said. “Who’s that? She looks familiar…”

“Her? You don’t know her?!” Yoona coughed. “She’s one of the most of popular female solo artists currently! It’s Kim Taeyeon!”

“Ah…that’s her! I recognise her now…” Luhan grinned sheepishly.

“Jeez Luhan, do you keep up with anything? You didn’t even know that I was the crown princess at the start! Is that even possible considering your living in this country?”

“I’m a pretty skilful hermit.” Luhan smiled.

“That’s nothing to be proud of.” Yoona sighed.

“Oh, well if it isn’t Yoona!” Luhan and Yoona turned to see an old man chuckling brightly. His smile was warm but his eyes were not. Luhan didn’t know what to think of him.

“Who’s that?” Luhan whispered.

“It’s my uncle.” Yoona whispered back. She turned to her uncle and smiled. “Uncle, how long has it been?”

“Quite a while. I’m sorry I haven’t been visiting.” He said with a sad smile.

“No, I should have visited as well.” Yoona said.

“Who is this?” Yoona’s uncle pointed to Luhan curiously.

“That’s my personal bodyguard, Luhan.” Yoona said. Luhan bowed deeply before returning the man’s smile.

“Oh have you greeted the duke and his son yet?” Yoona’s uncle asked.

“Nope, I was just looking for them…” Yoona trailed.

“They’re over there.” He pointed to a crowd. Yoona nodded thankfully and instructed Luhan to follow her. The crowd parted when Yoona wanted to pass through to Luhan’s awe.

“Well if it isn’t the crown princess!” A fat man bellowed. “You have matured into a beauty!”

“Thank you. I am glad that you have returned safely.” Luhan guessed that the man was the duke. A boy who was smiling from ear to ear stood beside the duke. When the duke had finished his greeting, the boy stepped forwards and took Yoona’s hand. With one swift movement he kissed it and then sent a wink. Luhan couldn’t cringe enough.

“Junmyeon!” Yoona smiled.

“Could I borrow you for a dance, princess?” Junmyeon smirked.

“Anything for the duke’s son.” Yoona laughed. Junmyeon was about to whiz away with Yoona but Luhan stepped forwards.

“I’m not sure I can allow this. I can’t watch over you if you’re dancing everywhere.” He said sternly.

“Who Is this?” Junmyeon snapped angrily.

“Ahh…this is my bodyguard.” She turned to Luhan. “I’m sure it’ll be okay Luhan.”

“Don’t worry. She’s safe with me. I am her dear childhood friend after all.” Junmyeon assured Luhan with a triumphant smirk. Luhan didn’t feel reassured at all. Junmyeon looked like he wouldn’t be able to put up a fight against a child never mind an assassin. Luhan reluctantly let them go though. He watched as the two swept through the dance floor catching everyone’s eyes. At least Junmyeon could dance.

“Don’t you think they make a perfect couple?” someone behind Luhan said. Luhan shook his head disapprovingly. He didn’t even think they made a good couple never mind a perfect one. Junmyeon probably had never even felt the wrath of Yoona’s true personality. There would be no way he could handle her.

“Luhan!” Hwayoung called through the crowd. Luhan turned to the source and saw Hwayoung make her way around the mass of people. “Luhan did you know Kwangsoo assisted the chefs of this hotel today?”

“No…” Luhan trailed. “Speaking of Kwangsoo, I haven’t seen him lately.”

“He said he had been practicing for today because an opportunity like this doesn’t come every day.”

“I don’t get it…isn’t Kwangsoo already a renowned chef?”

“Yeah he is but apparently his role model is cooking today…” Hwayoung chuckled. “I don’t really get this chef business.”

“Haha, neither do I.” Luhan scratched his head. Hwayoung looked around Luhan before raising an eyebrow.

“Where’s Yoona?” she asked. Luhan turned back to the dance floor.

“She should be there….” Yoona and Junmyeon were nowhere in sight. The crowd had even disappeared. “Damn…why would she walk off without me when she knows the situation she’s in?” Luhan groaned.

“Do you want me to help you look for her?” Hwayoung asked. Luhan nodded.

“That would be great.” The two split off in opposite directions.

 

Luhan had been searching the hotel for over an hour but he still hadn’t found Yoona or Junmyeon. He pulled out his phone and dialled Hwayoung. Unfortunately, Hwayoung had just about the same luck as him.

“Damn…I don’t trust that Junmyeon!” Luhan muttered as he continued his search more aggressively. He had begun to run and push people now. In his mess he bumped right into someone else who had been running and the two collapsed onto the floor.

Luhan was about to jump right back up and continue his search when he noticed that the person he had bumped into was no other than Junmyeon. He wasn’t wearing his blazer anymore and the sleeves of his shirt were rolled up.

“Where’s Yoona?” Luhan spat.

“Ehh…over in that room…” Junmyeon was taken aback by the authority in Luhan’s voice until he realised he had more authority. “Hey, you shouldn’t talk to me like that!” He growled. “I could get you fired right now if I wanted.” Luhan just gave a disapproving shake to Junmyeon.

“I don’t have time for you.” He said before standing himself up.

“Yah! You’re just trash! Who do you think you’re talking to you?!” Junmyeon stood up and spread his hands, blocking Luhan’s path. “Now you’re definitely fired.” He smirked. Luhan sighed before pushing Junmyeon onto the floor. In that split second Luhan saw Junmyeon’s tattoo just below his collarbones. It was the same lotus symbol that had been bugging Luhan for days on end. Luhan was about to grab Junmyeon and question him but the boy quickly ran away giving Luhan the dirtiest look he could pull off.

“What has he got to do with the lotus…?” Luhan whispered to himself. He pondered whether to run after Junmyeon or go find Yoona. In the end he continued his search for Yoona since he could easily find Junmyeon again.

Luhan followed Junmyeon’s earlier instructions to the whereabouts of Yoona and has successfully found her standing on the balcony of a room.

“Yah, what did you think you were doing running off without me like that?!” Luhan scolded as soon as he stepped into the room. Yoona turned with a jump and bit her bottom lip.

“Why are you even so worried about me?” she muttered.

“Why? There are assassins after you constantly and as you’re bodyguard I need to make sure this country still has an heir to the throne.” Luhan rolled his eyes. It had been a while since Yoona had acted this childish.

“In the end it’s all because you’re my bodyguard.” Yoona whispered loud enough for Luhan to hear. “Am I not anything more?” she almost pleaded.

“What on earth are you talking about?” Luhan raised an eyebrow. “It sounds like you like me or something…”

“Don’t you like me?” Yoona persisted. “You kissed me twice now…”

“Huh? I only did that because of the situation.” Luhan was beginning to get worried with Yoona’s words.

“So you have no feelings for me at all?” Yoona asked.

“Yoona….have you fallen for me?” Luhan gulped anxiously. There was a tense minute of silence before Yoona spoke again.

“Yes…I have.” 

 



A/N: I am soooooooo sorry for the seriously late update. All I can say is Slam Dunk, Bakuman, Noragami and school =.= (I am really sorry though because truthfully I have no excuses- it was pure procrastination). Anyway I hope you enjoyed this chapter. It turned out different from the plan... (Yoona wasn't supposed to confess this early) However I think I need to pick up the pace anyway.