5 Seconds, 5 Minutes

Countdown

Waking up by the sound of an alarm, Park Chanyeol didn’t even open his eyes to tap the snooze button for he still wanted to sleep. He has tapped the snooze button 5 times already. He didn’t care if he’d get late to wherever he’s going. But not until his alarm won’t go off, or rather, Kim Jongdae kept on calling his phone. It irritated Chanyeol so he answered it groggily, “Hello?”

 

“Where the hell are you Park Chanyeol?! It’s 8:30 in the morning. The line’s getting longer and longer. Reserving a lazy person is not allowed here, for your information.” Jongdae hissed at him, not bothering to at least greet his bestfriend a good morning.

 

Chanyeol checked his watch and Jongdae was telling the truth: it’s 8:30 and he should be there by 7. Chanyeol didn’t care, but he definitely cannot tell Jongdae that, so he just apologized, “Sorry I forgot.”

 

If only Chanyeol knew, well he really knew it, Jongdae was rolling his eyes and probably, cursing Chanyeol for having this attitude, “It’s a job interview Chanyeol. Everyone who is unemployed is here, except you.” And Jongdae’s curses were endless.

 

Chanyeol ended the call even though Jongdae was still talking, well he’s been talking for almost 2 minutes, Chanyeol counted, only cursing and telling how bad Chanyeol’s laziness was. But Chanyeol was used to it; Jongdae really talk too much. He’s gay.

 

Park Chanyeol, 25 years of age, currently living away from his family, because he didn’t want burden. Or rather, he didn’t want to be a burden. But still, helping his family after he graduated, but not until one year of being unemployed. Cause? Tardiness, Huang Corporation didn’t need him. Chanyeol didn’t mind because he can just take a job from somewhere in the streets, he knew he’ll live.

 

Chanyeol stood up a minute after Jongdae cursed him on the phone. Chanyeol took a bath for more than 25 minutes, he calculated. Chanyeol cooked breakfast for 15 minutes and ate breakfast for 15 minutes again, he’d rather not get a job than to die because of hunger and he didn’t mind how Jongdae was so red because of anger. Well, he knew that many people were there and that he can still get there until 10, he counted. Chanyeol picked his clothes, tried to look presentable if he’d face the interviewer. And he’s ready to go. 30 minutes to get there, Way to go, Park Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol got there 5 minutes after 10; well he hadn’t seen Jongdae anywhere.

 

BUT IT TOOK CHANYEOL 5 SECONDS TO SEE THE GUY 55

 

Chanyeol walked in the office, the guard letting him in as he led the way to where the other unemployed guys were. Taking in the new environment, Chanyeol blew on his hands to feel his breath as he gave thanks to the guard for good 2 seconds, and looked at his seat, 1 second, and to the guy beside his seat, 2 seconds. 5 seconds in all, he saw the brown haired, fair white skinned guy. He instantly sat right next to him.

 

Chanyeol then checked his phone, and indeed, there were many text messages sent from Jongdae, purely curses for not replying to him. Chanyeol thought he needed to reply so Jongdae won’t kill him after this interview.

 

To Jongdae:

Sitting next to the guy who has brown hair. He looks pretty presentable.

 

From Jongdae:

Chanyeol, are you dumb? Of course, everyone here would look presentable, and almost everyone here is sitting next to a guy who has brown hair.

 

And by that, he knew that Jongdae needed more details.

 

To Jongdae:

Across the panda-eyed guy who has cat lips and who’s beside a bun.

 

From Jongdae:

you Chanyeol, can you die? Food and animals are not allowed here. Just tell me your number!

 

And there Chanyeol was dumbfounded. Number? What number? For as long as he knew, no one gave him a number. He looked at the guy beside him, he has a number 55. Then probably, he’s number 56.

 

To Jongdae:

The guy beside me is number 55.

 

From Jongdae:

Just tell me your number.

 

To Jongdae:

Where am I going to get a number?

 

And he never got a reply from Jongdae.

 

IT TOOK GUY 55 5 SECONDS TO TALK TO PARK CHANYEOL

 

Chanyeol was looking everywhere, thinking where these guys got their number. He pouted because even though he looked at everything, he cannot see someone who held numbers or whatever there.

 

Guy 55 was looking at him, and knew what was going on with Chanyeol. The guy tilted his head for Chanyeol to notice him. Chanyeol noticed him, and all he could say was, This guy is beautiful… “You can get the number from that guy’s desk.” The guy pointed to the boy near the door.

 

Chanyeol looked to where guy 55 pointed to and looked at him again. And his seat. The guy then said, probably he was a psycho, “I’ll reserve you here, it won’t take so much minutes don’t worry.” The guy offered. Chanyeol can only smile as he stood up to get a number from the desk.

 

And when Chanyeol got back to the seat after a minute, he gave the guy a smile as ‘Thank You.’ He texted Jongdae saying that his number was 58. “Didn’t know that I came so late. 55 is a big number.” Suddenly, guy 55 mumbled.

 

Chanyeol didn’t know if the guy was talking to him. But since he has nothing to do there for the good 5 minutes, he talked to the guy, “58 is bigger than 55. It’s fine for me though.”

 

And there Chanyeol knew that the guy didn’t intend to let him hear what he was saying because he was startled when Chanyeol talked to him. The guy then said, “Well, it’s not fine for me. I still have many things to do.” The guy said before he checked his watch and rolled his eyes.

 

He’s a busy man, Chanyeol thought. “Reason?”

 

“I slept late. I worked overtime, that is.” the guy answered like he was so tired of his life. Well, he looked like he really was.

 

“You’re working? Then you’re applying for a job here? I can’t understand.” Chanyeol laughed like he didn’t like what he was hearing.

 

“A job for long time, I mean. I need a longtime job. That job I am talking about is just for the mean time, just to support my own needs.” The guy shrugged. And Chanyeol agreed, “The same. I’m Park Chanyeol.”

 

“Byun Baekhyun.” The guy smiled and nodded at him. Chanyeol still found this guy beautiful. “How about you? Applying f---”

 

“Ditto.” Chanyeol said and Baekhyun only just laughed, no more words to say, that one word explained everything, thus, he didn’t know what to say to make the conversation longer. “Living with your family?” Can Baekhyun slap himself? He didn’t know what he was asking. It sounded like was not in the place to talk about that, right? It’s too forward, and personal, and yes, Baekhyun slapped himself.

 

Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun, he shook his head, “I don’t want any burden.” He said, and there Baekhyun thought he heard wrong. “I don’t want a burden and to be a burden.” Chanyeol clarified after a second, thinking of what he just said. He cannot let Baekhyun know that he was not a good guy. Well, for Chanyeol, he knew he was not a good guy, but he was not a bad guy either. It’s just that he didn’t care for anything.

 

 Baekhyun nodded at what Chanyeol said, he knew by that time that Chanyeol was not with his family, just like him. But that didn’t make a similarity; he was working for his family who was in their province, who didn’t love him back. They cannot accept Baekhyun. They said Baekhyun killed his father. Baekhyun didn’t but he was the reason why he died, but Baekhyun never wanted that and that was the thing his family didn’t understand. Baekhyun thought he needed someone who would accept him, whatever who he was or what he was. But he was not thinking that Chanyeol was the one who would. He didn’t want to expect something because he had been disappointed many times, rejected many times… by his own family.

 

“Are you alright?” Chanyeol then asked after a minute of not having a word from Baekhyun. Baekhyun seemed to be dazed off of his thoughts. He gaped at Chanyeol but still gave him a smile. And there Chanyeol thought that Baekhyun was already fine.

 

“What are you thinking?” once again, Chanyeol asked. But once again, Baekhyun cannot tell him. Who was Chanyeol? He was only a stranger, or acquaintance, whom he only met today. Baekhyun shook his head for Chanyeol not to mind him.

 

“Then tell me something about you nobody else knows.” Chanyeol demanded.

 

Baekhyun then found Chanyeol suspicious, he was too obvious, right? But Chanyeol didn’t mind. He just wanted to know something about Baekhyun. “Don’t worry, we’re strangers, and probably, we won’t ever meet again. Just tell me something no one knows, just between you and me, I swear I won’t tell others. I’d tell something about me too.” Chanyeol assured Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol, he didn’t know what to believe, by Chanyeol’s creepy smile and weird eyes, Baekhyun thought he cannot trust this Chanyeol guy. Or maybe Chanyeol just didn’t have anything to do this time of the day, right here in the office. “If you want, I’ll go first.” Chanyeol said and continued, “Uhm, what should I say, when I was 16 years old, I locked myself in my room for a week, they didn’t know the reason. But I’ll tell you what the reason was: I was composing a song.” Chanyeol almost whispered since it should be just between him and Baekhyun.

 

“Really? How did it go?” Baekhyun asked.

 

And Chanyeol straightened himself and shrugged, “I thought it was easy, but hell, it’s so hard, so I didn’t get to compose something.” Chanyeol pouted but he let it go since it was years ago, “And I think it’s harder especially when you don’t know something about notes, or how to play even one musical instrument.”

 

Baekhyun then looked plainly at Chanyeol, Why the hell… and he really thought that Chanyeol was so weird, weird guy. Chanyeol shook his head, telling Baekhyun that he was not yet done. “Since I didn’t know how to play any instruments, it took me 5 days to realize that, and I knew I was dumb but I just wrote lyrics… and there I realized, I should just do rap.” Chanyeol smiled and Baekhyun took note of his dimple.

 

“You do rap?” Baekhyun was asking for a sample, it’s just that Chanyeol didn’t get it, so he just answered Baekhyun with a “Yes, I do.”

 

After some seconds of silence, Chanyeol then noticed it, “Yah, it’s your turn now. Just don’t tell it to anyone.” Chanyeol told a secret, and Baekhyun got it.

 

“B-but my story won’t be that nice as yours.” Baekhyun bit his lips.

 

“Nice?! You call my story nice when I became dumb because I wasted my 5 days for nothing, then 2 days for rap?!” Chanyeol found it unnecessary.

 

“At least you can write lyrics!” Baekhyun exclaimed.

 

“Those are just words!” Chanyeol exclaimed too and then looked at what they were really talking about, “Hey, just tell me something nobody knows but you!”

 

Baekhyun looked at him then bowed his head, this is embarrassing, “I-I once had my favourite pair of shoes. I really loved it since it was given to me by my father. But then, when we were in a field trip, the other pair was carried by the water, I cannot remember how that happened. No one knew it because I was a quiet kid. I knew I cannot get it back so I just threw the other pair in the water since if it’s not paired, I think it will lose its meaning because they’re partners and made to be together. Then my father asked me why I came back home barefooted or just wearing socks I mean, I just told him that it went missing. From then on, he didn’t buy me any pair of shoes anymore.” Baekhyun sighed.

 

Chanyeol then smiled at Baekhyun hearing his story. Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol and asked him what the matter was. Chanyeol then said that Baekhyun was sweet. Baekhyun, of course, asked why. But it was never answered, for Chanyeol asked him again, “Do you have a boyfriend?”

 

Baekhyun didn’t know what was going on so, SILENCE. And Chanyeol knew it, so he continued, “Okay, sorry, that’s awkward. Don’t answer me… I shouldn’t even ask you that. Don’t answer me in 5 years… or forever. Don’t talk to me.” Chanyeol sunk in. He dared not to look at Baekhyun while having his cheeks red.

 

IT TOOK BAEKHYUN 5 SECONDS FOR CHANYEOL’S WORDS SINK IN HIM.

 

“Or in 5 months.” Baekhyun said as he smiled for Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun, seeing Baekhyun’s smile, he knew what it meant, “Or in 5 weeks.”

 

“5 days.” Baekhyun continued.

 

Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun’s smile, “5 hours.”

 

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol’s dimple, “5 minutes.”

 

“5 seconds.” Chanyeol took notice Baekhyun’s mole just above his mouth.

 

And together, they counted, “5…4…3…2…1.”

 

“I don’t have a boyfriend.” And Baekhyun thought, Chanyeol was so weird, weird guy, or maybe, Chanyeol was one of a kind.