[4] we are young tonight(and holding on)

of wasted breaths and slipping fingers
we are young tonight (and holding on)
for the young ones with old souls, 'cause we all have souls of different ages. —
 


yoona is at the rooftop of a stranger's apartment, with a cigarrette slipped between her fingers as it dangles languidly, along her fingers' motions. she just stumbled in with her friends(who are people of the night, who seeks nothing but saving from the kindness of strangers) on parties which welcome everybody and anybody(as long as you are brought by the people on their favourite list). the night is still young, and a distant rumble of music wavers through the air as she refuses to bob her head along the beat.

she is sober with her consciousness still on its highest bar, whilst krystal is wasted beside her(after she dragged her away from a stranger's lap) as saliva slowly drips from the corner of her lips, and yoona doesn't bother to wipe it away. krystal is practically sprawled all over the floor, like a pile of messy nights and ungodly hours. yuri is drinking away her thoughts below, waving guys away as a "i don't like guys" shuts down their hope.

yoona is never a drinker, and never is she the girl with lips that stain people's spines. but then, the idea of her smoking gives away the impression that she is a girl, with loose holes and unhealthy drinking habits. when people directly say that to her face, she only needs to squeeze the cig's butts on their skin, just because she can never be bothered to say anything.

 

she sits on the rooftop's edges, crossed legs and grey smoke slithering out from her half-opened mouth. the night is still young and she doesn't feel like going home at all for the moment, furthermore to carry soojung's body downstairs.

suddenly, a man tumbled in with a green bottle of soju in his hand, and the other holding something she can't see from her side.

she turns away to the city lights, as she lets one of her legs dangles in the air.

"hey"

a hello.

"hey!"

a shout.

"hey.."

a whisper.

yoona is too engrossed in setting more, and more ember in her heart, to notice the guy sits beside her.

now, she gets a clear look of his face, yet not so vivid. however, the city lights bring out the best of his features. he is painted in dark raven skin(not so dark though) and he owns a set of brown oval eyes, that she can't help but to wonder what will happen when his eyes meet mine. his dark plump lips stay pursed, as it slightly opens for another shot of soju.

"oh. hey."

she had seen him in her classes, and probably because they both major in art. but other than that, he is in all of her classes. and now, she can see what he has been holding all this time. it makes her suddenly wants to run away from here. it's a revolver. probably his father's.

"you know, i can go now. you can have your ending all to yourself." yoona fiddles with her pack of marlboros as she squeezes the cigarrette on her side, and throws it away, then pick up another with a shaky hand as she tries to light one.

"", because she struggles to light her cigarrette. two, because the last thing she wants to do is to die with a stranger.

jongin steals away her lighter, as he lights up her cancer stick. a smile skulks to his lips. "don't be afraid. it's just there, to scare the ty people i walked through."

a breathe, a smoke. yoona still struggles to breath, and it's not because of her corrupted lungs. "okay."

 

"i'm jongin." he says, just after he took a sip of soju. it's probably silly for him to say, because they probably knew each other already, though none of them says anything.

"i know." she nods, through a mouth that's been occupied by a cigarrette on the corner of her lips. she reminds him of those truck drivers that smokes like a train, puffing out small grey clouds from her pallid lips.

"want one?" a skeletal hand appears before him, holding a pack of marlboros with four empty spaces. her head is turned to him, offering him something that no girl has ever offered. 

he nods, picking a stick as he lights himself a cigarette. as he takes a waft of it, yoona stares in wonder. 

she is watching him coughing up a bit, after he took his first shot.

"you don't have to do that, you know." a small curve of smirk makes its way, to the lines of her pallid thin lips.

"i'm just trying to get used to it." said jongin, as grey clouds of nicotine slither out from his lips.

"don't." she blows another cloud of smoke. "it's bad for your health."

"then how about you?" jongin is about to take another sip, but it turns out to be empty. . 

"it's a choice. and besides, i have my own reasons to do it." she looks at him for a brief moment. "you know, you look like a nice guy. and, i think you shouldn't get used to things like this."

"you are one to tell, really." he chuckles.

she smiles.

"then, that makes you a bad person?"

"nah," she shakes her head. "i'm just a person with not enough luck, and hope." she cracks a grin.

 

"you must be kidding me." a raised eyebrow.

"yeah. right."

the conversation ends for awhile, and they both keep their words for themselves, waiting and waiting for any one of them to begin. 

"what do you want to do? after you graduate?"

she smirks. "isn't that a personal question?"

"nevermind, then."

"i want to write. i want to paint. i want to do lots of things revolving around art. all that."

"that's it? well, what a free-spirited soul you got there."

"damn right." she nods at him with a proud smile.

"i just do things to make myself satisfied. there's not a lot of people in this world that will make you happy, people tend to bring more tragedy my life."

she then nudged his side. "what about yours?"

"well, similar to yours i guess. but, i probably want to become a proffesional painter."

"your dream or your daddy's dream?"

jongin emits an amused chuckle. "mine, of course. my parents hate the idea of being an artist."

"well, every good parents hate the idea, of seeing their child making money of drawing stuffs, instead of sitting in the office. it's not a new thing." she shrugged at him.

"you gotta agree on that one" she points her cigarette at him and he nods slowly, hesitating for a moment.

"the world of art is a child's play in the eyes of adults. boring and dull adults, unlike van gogh's and afandi's kind of adult though." yoona preaches on with her hand gestures, that reminds him of classy young 80s women with cigs between their fingers.

"by the way, tonight seems like one hell of a long night." said jongin.

"it's just you and your old soul, jongin. waiting and waiting, for the time to pass by. just feel the moment." she inhales the air despite it being stained with nicotine, closing her eyes and feeling every sensation that she gains as the air fill her lungs.

"cause we are young tonight!" she smiles at him, and nods her head to the bunch of fireworks that he just realized, have exploded above into particles of dust, landing amongst their eyes that glimmer at the sight of the sky; laughing at them for their worries over the little things.


Author's Note:

;review

sweet potatoes review shop by starrygirl_143