[8] adagio

of wasted breaths and slipping fingers
adagio

 "sometimes, all we ever want is to be understood, but that's the only thing that seems impossible"

for accidental friendships that occur here and there,

because everything always happens for a reason

soojung was walking on her way home when a stranger, a guy at one, just decided to halt her. he was standing up before her, tall and lean and unmoving. it was so random, because he just stared at her blankly then. this guy must be quite messed up in the head.

soojung felt foolish by standing before the guy in front of her, leather blag backpack, with a pair of shoes probably way more expensive than all of her clothes in her home near the suburbs combined, with the hem of his white shirt tugged out of his black uniform pants. she saw a name embroidered in his pocket shirt; kim mingyu.

god, another rich kid to encounter, grumbled soojung unconsciously. she was so done of dealing with the students from the neighboring prestigious school, of expensive cars and branded appearances. she recalled a girl from her school telling her a story, how one of the rich kids from the infamous moongwal high had threatened to sue her, because of ruining her j something choo shoes. let alone ruined, the girl had stumbled in front of her, and she assumed that yoona had tripped her. she only apologized helplessly, because her shoes were probably more costly than her tuition fees. if she were to be in yoona's situation, she would run away as fast and she could. because the girl would probably ask their upper-up people of a parent to buy them a new one. spoiled princesses and bratty attitudes, soojung felt disgusted at the image.

the way they dressed to school was also making her flabbergasted, everytime she caught a glimpse of it. branded high heels, clutch purses, and coloured faces. is school a ing joke to them? she would mutter under her breath, and in return, got a slap in the back from her bestfriend oh sehun, who would give a hiss of be careful they might hear you, which resulted her replying they are not the boss of me, and they wouldn't dare.

the latter guy, however, didn't miss her absent-minded speech and frowned. "hey, you are being quite rude right there," kim mingyu was one that has always been the most laid back amongst his peers, but he couldn't accept how she just boxed him out from the stereotypes.

her half-opened eyes fluttered opened, widened in surprise. "did i do something? like stain your clothes, ruin your shoes and perhaps offend you in any possible way?" she raised an eyebrow, looking up to him. as a high school student, the lad was too tall unlike the guys in her school. she scrunched at the thought; why would she compare this stranger to her buddies?

"well, you kinda offended me back there,"

"which part?"

"the rich kid part." he looked at her, as if it was the most obvious thing she should have realized a few minutes ago.

"well, are you one? you shouldn't feel offended if you are one-"

"you were obviously saying it in a such distasteful way," insisted mingyu, refusing to lose on this pointless argument of them. she knew his name, but he didn't know hers. and the only thing that he realized about her, is that she belonged to the neighboring public school from the colour of her blazer. and for the first time in a while, he saw someone with eyes so alive and expressive, and it was the fuming stranger before him.

"you are spoiled, you know that? so, are you expecting me to apologize to you? no way!" she stepped aside with a sense of finality after giving him a piece of her mind, wanting to proceed home, when he stood on her way again.

"you, are not getting anywhere. not until you apologize to me." he decided to poke in. and he smirked, as he saw deep lines of irritation pushing new dents on her forehead.

she caught a sight of his teeth, and her frown deepened and she cursed on herself for her attraction to boys with nice, pointy canine teeth. and it was just her, and not her obsession over good looking draculas in the underworld movies. well, perhaps a little.

she brought her wrist watch to her eyes, indicating fifteen minutes after three. she was exhausted after her p.e classes, and she wanted to get home and not miss the bus.

"you know-urhm, what's your name..ah, kim mingyu!" she snapped her fingers as she read his name for the second time. "you see, we live in a world, where you don't always get the things that you want-" she explained with her hands moving on its own, following the rhythm of her voice. "-at least, that's in my case. well, let's not dwell into that detail" she managed a tight smile and stared straight into his eyes, a little bit mocking for his taste. "but not for you, and i'm not going to be one of those people who will give everything that you want, just because you ask for it."

 

a triumphant smirk laced tauntingly at him, pricking at his prickled ego. the girl was head-strong and quick-witted, and he was just endlessly luring her out to open up herself. 

"have anyone ever said, that you are being terribly and horribly honest, as a girl?"

"why do you need to add an addition 'as a girl'?  don't be ist, because girls can also be like guys, brutally rude and straight up cocky. except that, what i am saying is a fact, that you can deny even if you refuse to listen." she hurled back at the slightest attempt he made to graze her, and he couldn't get enough of pushing her to an edge. 

she felt foolish for the second time, for getting riled up over his small comment. soojung attempted to calm herself with every strength she had left, peace, inner peace, soo jung, remember the happy things; the internet music, au revoirs, their school trip to the amusement park, summer holidays, her sister's warm embrace, 'raise boys and girls the same way', a mixtape sehun and jinri gave to her last christmas, and she hurried herself to calm down, as she further prolonged their squabble instead of cutting it short. 

"i don't have any time to waste, and i should go" she surpressed herself to add a few pieces of her mind, because she was still unsatisfied with the turn out of this event. but she should not miss her bus and the sky was getting darker by the minute.

she stepped aside again, and attempted to proceed. and this time, he didn't stop her. she felt like turning back, to look at him for the last time, because there was this last thing in her mind that she just realized flown across her mind briefly. that he was ridiculously attractive, in a way girls would go all googly eyes checking him out, and they wouldn't mind being caught red handed, as his eyes meeting theirs would be what they wish to happen.

there would be no way, they will meet for the secondth time, as he would be dropped by his chaffeur at school, and fetched to whatever place the rich ones go. they belonged to two different realities, and today seemed like a scene straight out from a movie for her. but instead of gaining a star crossed tale, this would only fade away in her memories, like any other day-to-day episode of her life.

mingyu shook his head, him being free-spirited while arguing with a stranger, that was an oddball for sure, not hesitating to express her irritation and even pointing out his identity. he felt more alive today than any days where he had to mingle in groups of people, that was completely different from him, as he conformed and put up his mask to be like them. so he would satisfy his father. his father's puppet, mingyu was.

he watched her back, getting smaller and smaller, as she further walked away, and before she dissapeared, he bid her goodbye and a reminder for their possible next meeting.

"i will see you again!" he exclaimed, both of his hands by the side of his face.

soojung listened, but ignored his voice as she took longer strides, to dissapear quickly from his sight. she didn't like the newfound fondness in his voice, and sure as hell she didn't like the idea of some random posh boy favouring her. it would be too much of a mess, and soojung crossed her fingers so that they would not meet again, and the end of her red string of fate would not be his little finger, and if he was, she prayed for the heavens to do whatever it takes to cut their connection.


she met him for the second time on a local jazz band concert where she went with yoona. because yoona was the only one who liked the music, and she didn't mind jazz concerts, for there would be no screeching sounds of wailing fangirls as she preferred relaxing music to her ears.

yoona was on her right, and there was an empty spot beside her. someone slipped to the spot, and as she bobbed her head to the music, the tail of her eyes caught a sight of canine teeth and she did another crossed fingers to wish that this dude would not be the weird, creepy yet well-breed of a posh boy. she took a little step back, to have a good look at the person, and it turned out to be true. the dude just had to be that posh boy, who predicted their next meeting. perhaps, she had stayed on her position for too long, that he caught her eyes and grinned.

charmingly, he called her a little louder. "hey, we meet again!"

she nodded with worried eyes, and turned away from him.

he was quick to notice this. "hey, i don't want to make you uncomfortable. i just think that you are different from the others,"

she bit on her thumb, facing the stage, the light of purple and blue layered over her face, shading her in colours. she kept biting, and biting on the flesh of her thumb. not so hard, though. "that's what i am afraid of. i don't want you to think like that. that i am different from the others,"

the internet was singing 'get away' from their latest album, ego death and this seemed like a scene out of an indie movie. the red and yellow light layered over his face and they were bathed in the colours of pale light.

"but, you are."

"i'm not giving you any hope, for anything that is in your head,"

"i just want to be friends okay? you seem-i don't know, cool? if you'll accept that reason,"

if he insisted like that, then she would be more than glad to be his friend. she just didn't like the idea, of romance with one of the kids from the upper-up people, for as she had said earlier, their story would be a catastrophe and jung soo jung wasn't the type to be reckless in the case of love and human relationships. she thought a lot, about choices and consequences in choosing one. 

mingyu was hopeful for an extraordinary love, but she seemed resolute about her statement. being her friend didn't sound too bad for him.

"i'm soo jung. jung soo jung,"

"does it mean elegant crystal?"

she raised an eyebrow. "yes, how do you know?"

"i just know some mandarin, and your name fits the word in chinese."

she nodded. she didn't actually know the meaning behind her name, so this was a new-found knowledge for her.

"how long have you liked the internet?"she started, and she startled him. 

"oh, it's been a while. i discovered them through searching and listening to radio stations,"replied mingyu smoothly, as he bobbed his head along the song, 'go with it' coming to an end. 

she turned to her right to see yoona enthralled and immersed by the sound of the female vocalist. she seemed so relaxed to the point soojung assumed she must have inhaled something funny. "soo jung, i think i'm in love,''

she pulled her closer by the neck, "you are mad, yoona."

"i think i accidentally inhaled some weed. hey soojung, you look pretty under these lights on your face, 'ya know? i feel like kissing you right now, the mood is just right." her eyes were shut down and her lips puckered into a kiss. she pulled yoona to her side and covered her face to not lean any further. im yoona was too dumb for her own good, trying new things she should not touch upon. last time was cigarrete, and now weed, what would be next, coccaine? ? she should give her another round of lecture to make her understand, by the time the effect of the weed died down.

mingyu witnessed all of this, and he could only laugh, resulting a deadly glare from soojung.

his friendship was going to be a colourful one, this time.

author's note


;review

spring roses review


this story is so random honestly, i have been eager to write this and will continue the dusty knees in the next chapter. this is my personal word vomit, and i hope you all don't mind. it's an ultimate crack ship btw. comments are welcomed as your thoughts mean everything.

Simplicity 2015 : Layout coded by Lisett