Chapter 6

Mission to Kill

It was raining outside and I stood in front of a bridge. I knew I was in a dream because I was neither wet nor cold. 

I heard some noise and saw two small figures half shuffling, half running in the rain. I don't know why, but I hid beside the bridge.

I squinted to get a better view of who the two figures were. 

One was a younger version of me.

I was being dragged in the darkness and I was obviously confused and sleepy. 

Suddenly, the younger version of me fell. The latter turned around, startled.

", are you okay?" They asked.

My younger self stood up and nodded.

"Come on, Soojung-ah. Let's go under the bridge. Please." The latter urged. The alarm in their voice was very evident and made the younger me frown even more in confusion. They quickly ran under the tunnel.

"Soojung-ah." The latter said. I noticed that it was a girl, the same girl as the one in the earlier dream, though her hair was much longer now and she seemed older.

The younger me forcibly tried to open her eyes.

"Listen, okay? We don't have much time together. I need you to wake up, please." The latter begged. I frowned. Something was definitely wrong...

The older girl suddenly grabbed the latter's shoulders. 

"I'm going to be going away. Hopefully for a long time. It might not sound like a good thing now, but once you know what's happening, you'll understand." She explained. The younger, again, was not listening and was too preoccupied with keeping her eyes open.

I silently asked myself if I was this bad at waking up as a child.

The older girl suddenly got hysterical and did something unexpected. 

She started crying. 

Her tears were running down her face, making making her cheeks even wetter than they already were.

"Soojung-ah...please wake up. I want to tell you that you shouldn't listen to what people say about me. It's not true. I would never do that." She sobbed. She suddenly hugged me, well, the younger one.

That's when the younger me opened her eyes widely. 

Skinship was strictly forbidden. She and the latter had gotten into trouble many times by doing simple things like holding hands or tickling each other.

"After a couple of years, if I make it, come and visit me in America. I don't know how you'll find me, but hopefully, if there is a god, we'll meet again."

"Y-Yiyun..." The younger me muttered, fully awake now.

They both hugged in silence until a small sound interrupted them. 

Footsteps. Multiple ones. From the sound of how lightly they stomped their feet on the wet ground, I could tell that they weren't the normal muscled guards.

There was a huge possibility that they were the Elites.

What did this kid do?

I could see that Yiyun heard the footsteps too. She quickly let go of me and smiled, despite the mood. I now realized that Yiyun was pale. Most likely because of fear or the rain or both.

"It's been a pleasure knowing you Jung Soojung. I hope we meet again." She said.

The footsteps were coming closer.

"Go back to the dorms and take care of yourself. If Sooyeon asks about me, tell her that you don't know. I know you and your sister are close, but only you have the ability to keep me alive. So please..." She paused whispering now. I had to really strain my ears to hear her. 

The footsteps were extremely close. I could tell they were running towards the bridge.

"Please...Soojung..." Yiyun continued. "Stay quiet...and don't forget me. Now go." She hugged me one more time and ran in the opposite direction from where she and the younger me came from. 

A couple seconds later, the Elites arrived, confused at first to see a little girl under the bridge. One of them came running towards her.

"Soojung? What are you doing here? Why are you awake?" They asked.

"Sooyeon..." The younger me muttered. I suddenly sneezed and a mask of worry covered Sooyeon's face. She looked over to the rest of the Elites. 

"Choi!" She yelled. Two Elites stepped forward, one male while the other, female. Sooyeon sighed.

"Choi Jinri." She stated. The girl stepped forward and the boy, after a quick glance to his sister, stepped back into the group.

"Take Soojung back to the trainees dorms. Make sure she changes into dry clothes and falls asleep before you meet us at the main Tower." Sooyeon said. Jinri nodded and grabbed Soojung's arm and followed her orders.

"Don't hurt her!" Sooyeon yelled. Once the two were out of sight, Sooyeon looked at the Elites.

"Yiyun couldn't have gotten far away. We'll split up into three groups: West Wing, North Wing, and East Wing. Look for her within the barrier until you reach the main Tower. We will all meet up there and find out what to do from there.

"Kim Kibum, Lee Taemin, and Lee Min-Young. West Wing." Three Elites headed left without a word. 

"Bae Suji, Kim Taehyung, and Kwon Jiyong. East Wing." Three other Elites went to their said direction.

"Kwon Yuri, Choi Minho. You two are coming with me to the North Wing. Search thoroughly. We can not afford to lose her."

I woke up again to the annoying sound of an alarm. I quickly slammed my hand on it, causing it to stop. I lay in bed and thought about my dream. 

The pieces were finally clicking together. 

I had no doubt that Amber was Yiyun now, thanks to last night, and I now knew that she was a friend of mine. She had run away after being accused of leaking some information to the public. 

My mission was nearly finished. All I had to do was kill her now.

I sighed and ran my hand through my hair, letting my hand stop under my head, so it was squished between my pillow and my head.

I realized that I was depressed. 

I had to pick between something I had known for my whole life, something that included my only family, Sooyeon, and friends between something I believed in wholeheartedly.

I felt it, like a voice inside my being, telling me that everyone was wrong, that I should trust Yiyun, but isn't the number one spy rule not to trust anyone? 

I felt so confused. I wish I could talk to Sooyeon about it but I knew I couldn't.

Maybe...maybe I could talk to Yuri. She was a spy for a short time and she knows more about it than anyone else I could trust.

I jumped out of bed, did my daily deeds, and headed down to Yuri's and Yiyun's apartment. I didn't bother to check the phone. 

Too bad I didn't. 

I would have seen the missed text messages from my sister, the urgent message from the chief himself. As soon as I closed the door, I received one last message from my sister.

'Jung Soojung, you better explain yourself because we're coming there. I know you know where Yiyun is.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Aww, that tickles." I giggled as a brown furred dog my nose. 

"Yah, Jack-Jack, stop." Yuri called from the kitchen. The dog only mocked her silently by sticking her tongue out.

I laughed at his silliness and set him down. He went to play with Gonju.

"How come I didn't see them when I came here for the first time?" I asked. 

"They were taking a nap like their lazy mother." Yuri replied. "Soojung-ah, what do you want on your taco?" 

I bit my lip, suddenly nervous.

"Excuse me?" I asked. Yuri glanced at me from the kitchen.

"I asked you what you wanted on your taco." She said. After I didn't respond, she glanced at me once more then started putting different things into dishes.

She walked towards me with a tray packed with lettuce, small round meat, cheese, and a red chunky sauce.

She walked back into the kitchen and reached into the oven to get strangely shaped...things?

"Unni...what are those?" I asked, blushing a bit.

"Taco shells." She said, carefully setting down the hot tray of "taco shells" on the floor. 

"So...a Taco is an animal then?" I asked. Yuri frowned and looked at me. I jumped a bit when she burst into a fit of laughter.

"They really sheltered you in the agency didn't they?" She asked. After I didn't respond, she reached for a taco shell and poured some meat, lettuce, cheese, and a bit of the chunky sauce onto it. She handed it to me.

"Here. Take a bite." She said. I took it from her and looked at it quizically. She made another while I was wondering how it was going to fit my mouth. 

I saw her bite it, tilting her head a bit and keeping one hand under her chin to catch anything that fell. 

I copied her and was pleasantly surprised at the taste. I moaned in pleasure and nodded approvingly, closing my eyes. 

I heard Yuri's muffled laugh. I opened my eyes to see her take another bite. I finished chewing and took another bite until the spiciness of the taco overwhelmed me. 

I quickly swallowed it and begged Yuri for a drink. She rushed to the fridge and grabbed two small milk cartons. 

I chugged mine down and finished my taco. Not exactly feeling full, I constructed another, not putting too mach of the red sauce on it and ate it greedily.

Once we both had our fill, Yuri cleaned up while I, after arguing that I shouldn't clean up, played with the two adorable dogs.

"So..." Yuri said, sitting down on the couch next to me. "Was there something you wanted to talk about?" I nodded and set both dogs down.

"I wanted some advice." I confessed. Yuri nodded and let me continue.

"Of course, you know I have a mission here. What it is, I can't tell you, but I need advice with it."

"I've been in the agency for about twelve years. Since you know about my parents, you can understand why I can say that Jessica is my only family."

"Sorry to interrupt, but, what about your dad? I know you're mom was killed in an accident but you're dad-"

"Is not my dad. He's a ruthless soldier that doesn't care about his own children. Jessica is my only family." I argued. Yuri nodded and kept quiet.

"I can't imagine my life without being part of the agency. With this mission...it involves...a friend of mine. That friend has been blamed for something that I feel as if they wouldn't do. It's like saying my sister grew a mustache; it's not possible. Everyone believes it is true, but you know deep in your heart it really isn't."

"So what you want is advice whether or not to go against the agency?" Yuri asked. My eyes fell to my hands in my lap.

"Well if you pit it that way..." 

"Do it. Everyone hates rules and regulations anyway, and sometimes, tradition gets boring."

"Just one thing." She said as she got up to get another taco.

"If they catch you, we never had this conversation." She told me and winked.