Babysitting

A Beginner's Guide to Kyungsoo

A Beginner's Guide To Babysitting

Summary: Kyungsoo reunites with his babysitter and childhood friend as his teacher and new classmate. They smell like new rivals for Kyungsoo's classmates.

Italicized part happened in the past, but I'll write them in present tense.

Caution: Another long chapter ahead. Proceed at your own risk.


 

 

Yifan is Kyungsoo’s first kiss.

Nervous lips on timid ones.

There’s a long story leading up to that event, but it’s still a memorable moment nevertheless.

If there’s a specific start to that story, it has to be the time when JinriYifan’s close friend slash ex girlfriend asked him to babysit two boys. Of course, Yifan vehemently didn’t accept the offer even if he could use some additional cash (which may or may not all be spent on clubbing). He just was not good with kids. They’re noisy, bratty, stinky, dirty, and everything that was not his style.

“Why can’t you do it? You know I’m not good with kids.” Yifan says not wanting to have any business taking care of creatures known as toddlers. If he knew that the ‘emergency’ Jinri was asking for help about is this, then he wouldn’t have come to her house in the first place. Assuming that he did not come, maybe he could’ve finished all his weekend home works. Ok, we all know that’s not possible, but he could’ve done somethinganythingthat is more useful.

“Oh please Yifan, it’s just for one night. They are pretty cute and well behaved kids.” Jinri pleads with butterfly eyelash fluttering to give Yifan the extra push even if she knows that that tactic is no longer effective the moment they broke up. Maybe it’s effective to other boys, but Yifan had seen it all. He knows (needless to say, memorize) every trick up her sleeves. “I have somewhere to go to so I can’t babysit them.”

Yifan snorts. Somewhere to go to?  He knows Jinri and that somewhere to go to is most probably another ‘best-party-in-the-world’ or just some random club. He knows because Jinri and he are birds of the same feather. The thought that she is his longest lasting girlfriend is troublesome. They reached two months before they mutually decided that they were better off as friends. Yifan has a long list of ex girlfriends at the mere age of sixteen, not to mention the longer list of flings.  Yifan after all exudes a chic gorgeous aura that could turn almost every girl into a messy goop.

“Find someone else. I’m not taking care of them.” Yifan is still stubborn.

Jinri sighs. He is about to beg some more, but then the doorbell rang.

“It must be one of them.” Jinri then proceeds to go to the entrance of her house leaving Yifan alone.

Yifan made himself comfortable by sitting at a sofa. He checks his watch: 5:50 PM. The night is still very young, and heck he won’t spend it babysitting considering it’s a Saturday night. No class tomorrow, a perfect time to get a hangover. He could almost taste liquor on the tip of his tongue by just contemplating on what will happen. The ghost of an alcohol’s pleasantly acerbic taste is swimming in his taste buds. He is about to grab his phone to invite some of his other friends to come to a club (with fake IDs of course, they are still all underage) when Jinri returns with a doe eyed kid.

Yifan looks at the boy. He’s short and has chubby cheeks, but what attracted Yifan are his huge doe eyes.

“Here’s one of the kid you’ll babysit, Kyungsoo.” Jinri introduces. The young boy stays quiet, eyes looking steadfastly at Yifan while biting his lower lip. He is clearly not used to strangers. “Isn’t he adorable?”

Jinri squats so that her eyes would be at the level of the boy, she pats him messing his jet-black hair. “He’s your Yifan hyung, Kyungsoo. He would be the one taking care of you tonight.”

Kyungsoo meekly looks at Yifan then looks back at Jinri. He looks at Yifan again then to Jinri once more.

“B-but he looks scary. He looks like a dwagon!” Kyungsoo concludes imitating a dragon as if Yifan is not there to hear it all. He then makes a sound akin to a ‘roar’ prompting Jinri to giggle, and soon Kyungsoo joins her laughing. Yifan did nothing but rolls his eyes.

“That’s the point. He should look intimidating to scare off all the monsters away. He would claw them and roar at them.” Jinri enunciates, exaggerating her words to astound the boy. “He would be you personal bodyguard Kyungie because you are a prince, okay?”

“Really? My personal bodyguard?” There are twinkles on the boy’s eyes. “So cool. Wait until Zitao sees him, he’s gonna be so jealous ‘cause I have a dwagon-hyung!”

Jinri messes Kyungsoo’s hair once more after a pinch on the cheek earning a soft scowl from the boy. She stands up then goes to Yifan.

“So will you please take care of him?” Jinri whispers. Yifan observes the boy again. He is wearing a pororo hoody and a backpack almost half his size. He’s too small and so… squishy. No. Must. Not. Think. This. You are supposed to go clubbing, Wu Yifan, don’t let your weakness get the best of you again. 

“Ummm… I don’t know” Yifan starts but he now has a doubtful tone. The kid’s eyes are so wide looking at him. “Babysitting is not my strong suit.”

“That’s easy.” Jinri says noting that only a slight push is all that is required for Yifan to say yes. She takes a booklet from a desk and starts writing things. Yifan looks at Kyungsoo again who is now sitting on a chair, his short legs are swaying back and forth, not reaching the ground. The boy s his bag and unloads its contents which are three stuffed toys. The boy then made his three stuffed toys sit beside him. When Kyungsoo notices his dragon-hyung looking at him, he smiles timidly at him.

Yifan contemplates that babysitting Kyungsoo won’t be such a bad idea, he looks like an endearing shy kid.

Jinri finishes her writing then looks at Yifan who is still observing the boy. Jinri inwardly grins, she knows that even if Yifan is this tall guy who looks cold and browbeating, he has an affinity for cute little things, that’s his weakness,  and Kyungsoo definitely falls to that category. She knows (needless to say again, memorize) all of Yifan’s loose ends, and he could easily tug one of it to make Yifan do as she wish. She made a wise decision on asking Yifan for a favor for this dilemma. Being manipulative is a second nature to her.

“Here’s your guide for the night.” Jinri says handing a piece of paper to Yifan.

A Beginner’s Guide to Babysitting:               

  1. Don’t invoke Tao’s rage; he is a tad bit possessive of Kyungsoo.
  2. Kyungsoo loves to play games. He’ll cry endlessly if you decline a game invitation.
  3. Kiss them on their oo if they ever got hurt.

---

“So you’re going to be the new calculus teacher, right?” The vice principal, Mr. Jo, says giving him his class list.  “The students here are experts in the field of troublemaking, but there’s sharp minds hiding in their thick skulls, it’s our job to crack it open.

Yifan nods in acknowledgement, but his mind is not quit there. Mr. Jo could easily deduce that the new teacher is nervous for his first day teaching. It’s natural, he was nervous on his first day too. He was a stammering mess back then. Time though is a great teacher and it will soon teach him the tricks and curves on being a teacher. He should know, time was his mentor too.

The door then creaks open, and a student enters the room. The student has obvious bags under his eyes and an almost intimidating aura. Yifan’s eye enlarges because of recognition.

“Ah… you’re here.” Mr. Jo’s face lit up, smiling at the new student. “Yifan, here’s the new transfer student joining your advisory class.”

The student then looks at Yifan. His eyes also widens, mimicking his teacher. It was like life itself returned to his gloomy nervous feature.

“Yi-Yifan hyung, you’re a teacher here?” The student says. “Thank God. I was so nervous. I thought I don’t know anyone here.”

Yifan is glad, a bit of his nervousness eases out because of the presence of a familiar face, but then he remembers something. He looks at Tao, should he really be glad to see him? He remembers the time they separated, it was not a memory he would not like to keep.

“You two know each other?” Mr. Jo asks. “That’s good; I’ll be leaving you two then. Good luck to the both of you on your first day here.”

With that, they fix themselves one last time then proceeds on their first class while talking and catching up along the way. The presence of Tao made Yifan miss the presence of another. Another who once keeps calling him ‘Dwagon-hyung’ and was like a son to him.

The students still has their summer hangover, so Yifan will just meet them for the formulaic first day of school introductions. After that, he will just give his students their course outline for the semester and that’s it. Easy right? He’s got this all in his control, no need to be nervous. And he was right, he’s not nervous. The moment he enters the room, the real Yifan returns scaring the tentative nervous Yifan away. Something about the classroom environment made his confident persona return.  He ordered all his students to settle down and sit on their respective positions.

Yifan wrote his name in the blackboard, introduces himself, and then scans his class. He made sure to make his voice more bass and full of authority to show his students that he’s the boss there and he would not tolerate fooling around in any means. His eyes are hard causing some of the student to gulp in terror. All eyes are fixed on him. The students are surprisingly more polite than what he expected. Yifan clears his throat. He forgot the class list Mr. Jo gave him so he just let the student introduce themselves one by one base on their sitting positions.

Zitao is first at introducing himself considering he’s a transfer student. “I’m Zitao. I was born here in this town, but my parents had to move back to China when I was six, and now we moved back here again.” Zitao bows. “I hope we’ll get along well.”

After Zitao is a boy thick with eyeliner and a personality matching its thickness. He curtly introduces himself as ‘Byun Baekhyun’ then sits again with no further words, his eyes are bored but every now and then he worriedly looks at the door or at the wall clock like he’s waiting for someone who is late to arrive. The rest of the introductions all went well.  Some are nervous; some are laid-back, while some are trying to show-off and be funny, a boy named Yixing especially.

“So is that all?” Yifan asks once everyone is finished with their introductions to him. There are still some empty sits, Yifan notes, and Baekhyun seems to be waiting for a classmate.

“We still have three late classmates.” Yixing informs, raising his hand.

“Sorry, we’re late.” Two new voices emerge as if on cue. Yifan looks at them. Their panting is heavy, they must have been running. 

“I’m Kim Jongin.” One man bows quickly. The sweat on his forehead is evident.

“I’m Oh Sehun.” The other follows. “…and wait, where is he?”

“Huh, I thought he was running with us.”

The two latecomers scan around them, looking for someone. Yifan is prepared to give the two a lecture on how they should not be late even if it’s only the first day of class when not long after, another boy arrives.

Yifan recognizes him, doe eyes and a small stature. He is…

“Do Kyungsoo, My jagiya!” Yixing stands up then goes to Kyungsoo’s direction. He was about to squeeze his jagiya’s cheeks because it had been so long since he last saw him in his school uniform and he almost forgot how good Kyungsoo looks in it when Jongin and Sehun blocks him from further advancement.

“Who told you that you could touch our hyung?” Jongin says.

“Hey, are you two his boyfriends for you to say that to me?” Yixing shots back.               

“We’re not, but we’re his best friends. How about you?” Sehun retorts.

Baekhyun, on his seat, rolls his eyes at his rivals’ immaturity. They had to do all of their bickering in front of the new teacher, an intimidating new teacher at that. He couldn’t wait for their teacher to give them detention on their first day of school so that maybe he alone could walk Kyungsoo home later. That is not a bad idea.

“At least I have better chances on being his boyfriend. You two will forever be stuck on the friendzone.”

“Oh, how well do you know Kyungsoo-hyung for you to be able to predict that?”

“Yeah, last time we check, you got close with him just this summer while we are already close with him for years.”

The three continued with their squabble in front of the entire class. The rest of the class listened in amusement at them. There seems to be no end to their fight when…

“Yifan-hyung. Are you going to be a teacher here?” Kyungsoo says directed towards their new teacher. Kyungsoo went towards him then gives him a fast soft hug. “I missed you.”

The class went silent, all eyes darting at their new gorgeous teacher who just got a hug from their Kyungsoo.

Yifan thinks that Kyungsoo still smells the same as he was back then even though his natural scent is now shrouded with cologne. Something in his smell is reminiscent of spilled milk and scraped knees, of cookie crumbs and stuffed toys, of the time when he was still his babysitter. Kyungsoo was a young kid back then that had captured his fondness, and now he’s about to return to his life as his student. He still looks the same, just older and taller. Nostalgia and excitement floods inside him. He misses Kyungsoo and Tao badly, and he is delighted they made a comeback in his life.

“I’m glad to see you too again.” Yifan pats Kyungsoo’s head. He wants to catch up with him, but he’s a professional teacher now so that could wait later.  “Zitao is here too, why don’t you sit beside him?”

Kyungsoo looks at his classmates and saw a new familiar addition, Zitao. Kyungsoo then walks at the empty sit besides the transferee, smiling and wanting to hug Zitao too. He couldn’t believe it; he reunites with both Zitao and Yifan at the same day. He was still young back then when they were together, but their past was not just a blurry haze. Kyungsoo still remembers everything clearly.

“Why haven’t you told me you’ve returned from China? You could’ve messaged me in Facebook.”

“I wanted to surprise you, and I didn’t know you study here. I really thought I’m going to be an outcast here.” Zitao replies.

Meanwhile, Sehun, Jongin, and Yixing are still standing flabbergasted and jealous while looking at Kyungsoo getting comfortable and laughing with the transfer student. How dare he? What right does he have? He needs to know his right place.

“Ummm, Mr. Yifan is it? You see, Kyungsoo usually sits between Sehun and me, so ummm…” Jongin starts, trying to be as polite as he could. It would be bummer if Kyungsoo is made to sit away from them for the rest of the semester.

“Well, there are still two available sits in the back. This should serve as a lesson for the both of you not to be late on the first day of class,” Yifan deadpans then looks at Kyungsoo who is still having a quiet conversation with Tao. “This goes for you too, Kyungsoo.”

“Yes dragon-hyung. Uh, I mean…, Sir!” Kyungsoo salutes, he really hasn’t change at all.

Jongin and Sehun reluctantly made way to the back of their class. If only their teacher is not intimidating, they would’ve still push on Kyungsoo being their seatmate. Kyungsoo did not even spare them a second glance, were they being replaced? They hope not. Who is this Zitao guy anyway? What relationship does he have with Kyungsoo? What relationship does Kyungsoo have with their new teacher?  Their semester is off to a bad start. The sitting arrangement couldn’t get any worse. Baekhyun and Zitao are sitting beside Kyungsoo instead of them and guess who’s sitting behind him? Yixing.

Yifan hands them their class syllabus, instructs them about the class requirements and his expectations on them, and then he already prepared his thing. It’s an early dismissal.

“Meet me after class hours Kyungsoo. I have something to talk to you about.” Yifan instructs to which Kyungsoo replies with a shy nod, oblivious to the fact that the rest of his classmate is mentally groaning because of his acceptance. Kyungsoo is obviously close with their new teacher and classmate, but they have no clue as to how.

When Yifan finally went out to go back to the faculty room, Zitao instantly talks with Kyungsoo, but then four boys stands between their sits, blocking them… who else are they but Jongin, Sehun, Yixing, and Baekhyun?

“I don’t mean to be rude and all to you ummm… Zitao, isn’t it? But what exactly is your relationship with Kyungsoo?” Baekhyun asks with a lingering menace on his voice. He could feel his old bullying self returning. Zitao’s face would make a perfectly good canvass for purple bruises if he will continue and steal Kyungsoo away from him.

Zitao looks at them; they all look like they want to murder him. Zitao shivers from the obvious aversion towards him, but he nonetheless maintains his calm demeanor. A smirk spills on his face as he meets their glare.

“I’m-“

There’s a pause. The four boys as well as the entire section are waiting for the transferee’s reply. All ears are listening to him intently.

He might regret saying this, but he should be honest…

“I’m his fiancé.”

---

1. Don’t invoke Tao’s rage; he is a tad bit possessive of Kyungsoo.

Teachers and students shouldn’t be in a relationship since it breaches the ethics of being a teacher, and that’s the thought that keeps Kyungsoo’s admirers (especially his best friends, Yixing, and Baekhyun) strong since his visits in the faculty room is becoming more frequent. Kyungsoo is not a troublemaker and he doesn’t need some extra credits so it only means one thing: Yifan, their gorgeous and daunting new class adviser. The thought that he spends an awful lot of time with Kyungsoo is pestering, but he’s not the only problem. Another problem comes from their new classmate hailing from China. Not only is he Kyungsoo’s self-proclaimed fiancé, but he is also insusceptible with the general aversion of all his classmates towards him.

“I don’t like the idea of Baekhyun and Yixing being with us, but I absolutely hate that that person,” Jongin points at Tao, “is also with us.”

They are in Kyungsoo’s favorite ice cream parlor in the mall and instead of eating more cold and sweet treats, Tao got more hot and angry glares courtesy of Jongin, Sehun, Yixing, and Baekhyun. He just rolls his eyes then eats another scoop of his ice cream, not minding them. They are idiots that don’t deserve his attention.  Kyungsoo is right beside him and that’s already enough to detour their hate.

“Stop being such a bully, Jongin. Tao is a nice guy.” Kyungsoo says in between bites. “I hope you’ll all be friends in the future.”

Tao doubts that what Kyungsoo is hoping would come true. Kyungsoo’s friends gives off the vibe that they don’t want him to be anywhere near him and if he would be friends with them then that means that he would have given up Kyungsoo. He doesn’t plan on that. They eat in relative silence and there’s heavy tension shrouding them. Kyungsoo, the very reason as to why so, is the only one that has no clue. He’s even humming a song as he merrily eats his cold sweet treat, tongue flicking out to clean the cream smeared on his lips.

Before long, Kyungsoo finishes his ice cream and he still wants to eat more. Each one of them are already well aware of Kyungsoo’s voracious eating habit, so they made sure to eat slowly for them to have more ice cream to offer to him. A fight between them would be inevitable; competition is thick in the air.

“I still want more.” Kyungsoo’s simple statement serves as their catalyst.

“Jagiya, would you want some of my strawberry ice cream?” Yixing starts.

“Nonsense, Hyung would much rather have my rocky road.” Sehun retorts.

“Kyungsoo’s favorite is Vanilla.” Tao barks.

“When did you get that information, from the 90s? His new favorite is Cookies n’ Cream.” Baekhyun jeers.

“Hyung would much prefer my Mocha ice cream.” Jongin snorts.

All Kyungsoo wants is just another ice cream bowl, and he has the enough money to buy himself one. He didn’t know that it’ll escalate to this. It has then become a competition of ice cream flavors, their table became noisy and other customers are staring at them. None of them made efforts to tone down because Kyungsoo has to eat their ice cream, and they don’t plan on backing down.

“You all sound like you are in love with me.” Kyungsoo deadpans. Suddenly, all their clamoring stops as empty silence follow. He has no clue that what he joked is actually the truth that none of them is brave enough to tell him, at least not yet. “Don’t worry guys; I think that I’m getting chubby so I’d rather not eat another bowl.”

Kyungsoo pinches his cheeks and perceives it indeed getting chubbier so he pouts. He shouldn’t have gotten all those extra bowls of rice his brother made him eat every breakfast. He then pokes his tummy and is disappointed that it got squishier. “Gosh, I should really eat less.”

“Don’t worry, Kyungsoo. You’ll still be y even if you are chubby.” Tao winks at him causing Kyungsoo to blush profusely.

“Yaah!” Kyungsoo hits him in the shoulder lightly, not used to being called y.

“Yaah!” He hits Kyungsoo’s shoulder back jokingly with a teasing smile on his face.

“Yaah!” Kyungsoo did it again.

“Yaah!” He did it again either.                                                                                                                            

Their little play is testing the other’s rage and Tao is well aware of that. He relishes in the feeling that they are jealous of him. A protruded sense of joy washes him.  He pinches Kyungsoo’s cheek and he inwardly cheers when he feels the others greeting their teeth in anger.

Tao has a statement: Kyungsoo is his, and he wants them to ingrain that on their mind. He is not afraid of competition, he wants it. He’s exuding with confidence. Kyungsoo is his first, and he’ll make sure that he’ll have him last too.

He has the perfect plan for Kyungsoo’s friends to finally give up their fight and accept defeat: He has to propose to Kyungsoo in front of them, and he’ll make sure he says ‘yes’. When Monday comes, he executes his plan instantly. No need for further delay.

Since the start of school, Kyungsoo and he usually rendezvous at the library after they eat their lunch and before their next class starts. He also knows that during this time, Kyungsoo’s friends are always spying on them and they‘re poor spies at that. They are trying to be sneaky, but really, it’s a fail. They are too noisy and obvious to be unnoticeable.

They are in the history section of the library and they are the only people there. Not much wanders that far into that section. The smell of aged book is wafting in the air, but Kyungsoo’s cologne is all that Tao could smell. The curve of Kyungsoo’s lips is alluring and he briefly wonders if it’ll taste like strawberry if he captures it with his own. Kyungsoo’s friends are right behind a shelf though, eyes obviously peeking on the crack of the books, so he might get a black eye, a cracked nose, and some bruises if he acted his own desire. Instead, he settles on his original plan.

“Remember that time when I proposed to you when we were younger?” Tao whispers, making sure that the others won’t hear him and angling himself so that he could elicit some rage from them. 

“Of course.” Kyungsoo beams, eyes crinkling into crescents. “I also remember what I answered to you.”

“Do you want to reenact it now?”  He still whispers, and he did not wait for Kyungsoo’s reply. He materializes a cheap ring from his pocket then got down on one knees. Kyungsoo’s eye comically enlarges and he steps back a little. “T-Tao.”

“Kyungsoo, I know that we are still young, but I am already man enough to know that I love you.” Tao announces, now loud enough so that it could be heard by the others. “I believe that you are my forever and I wish that you believe that I’m your forever too. Kyungsoo, will you marry me? ”

Tao offers the cheap ring to Kyungsoo, remembering the past that he also said this very words while reading it on the note that he wrote on his wrist so that he won’t forget it. They are acting right now, but why is he nervous of Kyungsoo’s reply as if his life depends on it? He already knows what Kyungsoo is supposed to say if he played along with him. He was also nervous when they were kids and he first popped this question.

Kyungsoo was about to accept the ring and reply when suddenly four people emerges from the shelves, like hardcore ninjas, and grabs him. It happens so fast and after a blink or two, Zitao is left alone still on one knee with a ring unaccepted and a question hanging in midair. The last thing he heard was a yelp from Kyungsoo, and a “Don’t you dare!” from Sehun.

The next thing he hears is the class bell for their next class. Considering that Kyungsoo’s friends are immature, how could he have not considered this possibility to occur? He heaves a sigh then stands up, memories of the days when he was younger and there was only Kyungsoo and he (and sometimes Yifan) keeps replaying on his mind.

“I’ll promise to take care of you forever.” A whisper fades.

Kyungsoo and he were both six at those times. He was contented with Jinri as their babysitter and that’s why he was disappointed when Yifan was introduced to him.  It was supposed to be a onetime thing, so he was happy after he endured that night.

He was wrong.

A letter arrived saying that Jinri got accepted on his dream school in Seoul, and that means goodbye to her and hello to Yifan. Yifan was actually not a negligent babysitter, no, he was far from that. He was father-like and caring to both of them. The only problem was he treated Kyungsoo like he’s the most adorable baby ever and Kyungsoo treated him like the coolest superhero. Kyungsoo also loved to climb him as if he was a monkey and Yifan was his tree. If only he was as tall as he is right now at that time then he would’ve offered himself as Kyungsoo’s tree instead.

At that time, he already has his statement: Kyungsoo is his, and Yifan was a very big threat to that.

“Yifan-hyung, Kyungsoo is mine so would you please return him to me.” Tao tugs the end of his babysitter’s shirt, looking up at him and Kyungsoo on his arms. He is small compared to the towering Yifan, but he’s not afraid to fight for who he believe is his.

“No one owns anyone, Zitao” Yifan lectures him, but nevertheless, he still put Kyungsoo down after one last peck on the cheek. Their constant cheek kisses, both to and from Kyungsoo, is not easing Zitao’s nerves. When Kyungsoo is already down, he hugs him tightly.

“Your mine Kyungsoo, okay. Don’t believe in what that ahjussi is saying.” Zitao whispers to Kyungsoo’s ears.

“But Kyungie thinks Dwagon-hyung is so cool. He is not yet an ahjussi.” Kyungsoo says. He really idolizes Yifan, much to Zitao’s  frustration.

Tao thinks that something needs to change. His babysitter needs to know that Kyungsoo really belongs to him and that it’s not a joke which seems to be what the elder is thinking.

Tao is no stranger to sappy romantic dramas and movies. He is always besides his older sister on their midnight blue sofa whenever she watches them. Sometimes it’s boring and yawn-inducing, but sometimes there are curious moments that perk up his interest. One such moment was when he watched a movie where a man went down on one knee and offered a ring to his girlfriend. Young Tao’s eyes sparkled in delight as he saw the emotions in their eyes, swirling and pirouetting into what his young mind concluded as love. He asked his noona what it was all about, curiosity and interest painting him. That night, Tao dreamed about proposing to Kyungsoo on summer twilight in a tropical island dotted with palm trees, the tangerine-hazed sunset as their sole witness. A smile was evident on Tao’s face as he sleeps.

Now, Tao thinks that he needs to propose for real or his babysitter might steal Kyungsoo away.

“Ahjussi!” Tao yells to Yifan. With taunt steps, he walks towards the elder out of Kyungsoo’s earshot. “If I proposed to Kyungsoo, will you promise to leave him alone and accept that he belongs to me?”

“Woah, don’t call me an ahjussi, kiddo.” Yifan replies. It’s clear that Zitao has some animosity towards him, but he couldn’t help but think that Tao’s possessiveness towards Kyungsoo is amusing. “Alright, if you propose to him, promise me that I’ll be the one wedding you two.”

Tao nods, happy that he now has a solution to his Yifan-problem. When Tao arrives home, he bolts straight to his parents’ room. Excited hands open his mother’s ‘treasure box’, roaming and searching for the manliest ring there is since his future bride would be a boy. At the end, he settles on a simple silver ring adorned with no jewels. 

Next day finds Tao early on Yifan’s house. He made his cousin deliver him early there so he could prepare for his proposal. His heart beats pitapat, threatening to spill from his chest, as he writes his small proposal speech on his right wrist to make sure he won’t forget it or be tongue tied. The weight of the ring on his pocket is very much real.

Yifan smirks at Zitao preparing and being nervous. He is glad that he took babysitting Kyungsoo and Zitao from Jinri because they are the most fascinating pill against his constant boredom. Kyungsoo is this charming kid that is synonymous to a bundle of sunshine and joy while Zitao is this possessive kid whose anger is more endearing than daunting.

Kyungsoo soon arrives clad in his usual pororo hoody and a gigantic backpack containing his three favorite toys.

“Dwagon-hyung!!!” Kyungsoo instantly runs towards his babysitter. Yifan smiles then leaned down to carry Kyungsoo in his arms.

“Nose to nose!” Kyungsoo says then he inclines towards his babysitter, button nose soon brushes Yifan’s tall ones left and right. Kyungsoo’s wide eyes are looking straight at him, proximity too close.

“Ehem!” It’s Tao clearing his throat, looking up while tugging the end of his babysitter’s shirt again, an all too familiar process.

“It seems that someone needs you Kyungsoo.” Yifan says then places Kyungsoo back to the floor. He then quickly scrambles to his room to look for his camera, he needs to film this.

When Yifan returns, he finds Tao offering a pack of gummy bears to Kyungsoo. Nice move Tao, you need to get to the good side of Kyungsoo first, and his weakness is definitely foods.

“Is this for me, Tao?” Kyungsoo’s eyes widens, thankful. Tao shyly nods. This is the moment. Yifan press the record button, focusing on the two kids. Tao goes down on one knee. Kyungsoo steps back one step, surprise at Tao kneeling in front of him. “T-Tao.”

“Kyungsoo, I know that we are still young, but I am already man enough to know that I love you.” Tao reads the fading note on his wrist, erratic heartbeat not ceasing and ring clutched in midair. “I believe that you are my forever and I wish that you believe that I’m your forever too. Kyungsoo, will you marry me? ”

Kyungsoo is shocked and flabbergasted.  He has no idea what is happening, but it seems that Tao is asking him to marry him. There’s panic on his friend’s eye.

“I’ll promise to take care of you forever.” Tao says.

Slowly, with unsure hands, Kyungsoo takes the silver ring. It’s still too big for his small fingers, even the thumb. Hope returns on his friend’s orbs.

“I’ll marry you if you promise to give me gummy bears every day.” Kyungsoo says. He’s not yet sure if he’s old enough to marry, but hey, at least he will get free gummy bears every day. His mouth is watering by just thinking that he’ll now have a regular supply of those gummy confectioneries.

“Really? Of course I’ll do that.” Tao is ecstatic, stands up then hugs Kyungsoo tightly. He will soon permanently be his.  He looks at his babysitter who is still recording and giving him the thumbs up. He returns the thumbs up. “Yifan-hyung will be our priest.”

“That’ll be awesome.”

“Where do you want to marry, Kyungsoo?”

“In our church of course. Let’s invite all our toys and classmates.”

“How many kids would you like? I want to have three.”

“That’s too small. I want to have seven or maybe eight.”

“I’m cool with that. How do you make babies anyway?”

Two pairs of curious eyes then look at the eldest, Yifan.

“Hyung, how do you make babies?” Two voices spontaneously ask.

---

2. Kyungsoo loves to play games. He’ll cry endlessly if you decline a game invitation.

 

In the days that followed, Tao became comfortable with Yifan as he is now secured into thinking that Yifan can no longer do anything to steal his Kyungsoo away from him because he is already his fiancé. Kyungsoo and Tao, to say the least, are very excited for their wedding. All that they would do is talk about their future. Heck, they even plan on finding part time jobs for them to support their future ‘kids’. One day, they ransack Yifan’s stuffs to get some art materials and bond papers to make their wedding invitations. Soon, the dining table became covered with colored paper ts and a whole lot of mess. Kyungsoo then got down from his seat and walks towards Yifan.

 Kyungsoo extends his arm to give him what seems to be one of the invitations. Yifan ruffles Kyungsoo’s hair before he grabs the invitation.

“Tao and I will marry when both of us are 18.” Kyungsoo explains to him. “My hyung said that we can’t marry without parent’s consent now, so we’ll patiently wait until then. We want to surprise our parents so we want to tell them we’ll marry on the same day that we’ll marry.”

“Your hyung?” Yifan thought that Kyungsoo is an only child.

“Yes, my real hyung. Junmyeon-hyung. He’s very smart and all.” Kyungsoo then rambles about his big brother, clearly proud of him. “Wait until he sees his invitation. He’s gonna be so surprise since he thought that I was joking when I told him that I would be married.”

“Well, I’m sure his reaction would be priceless.” Yifan says, playing along with Kyungsoo.

“Dwagon-hyung, we should invite your girlfriends too.” Kyungsoo’s face lit up as he clutches the crayon on his hand, excited to make more invitations.

Girlfriends, clearly he is not being a good influence to the kids he is babysitting. It is not his fault though that some of the girls he knows (and sometimes complete stranger) goes there to his house introducing themselves as his girlfriends. Truthfully,  it really doesn’t matter to Yifan as long as the girl has pretty lips and a y body then they could proclaim themselves as his girlfriend for the day, maybe two or three if she is good in the bed. Yifan never really is a believer of love. True, he acknowledges that it exists. His parents surely might have felt it with each other at some points in their marriage. However, Yifan doesn’t think that love is that great of a thing. He believes that it is more of a hindrance, an easy weakness disguised as temporary joy. He likes to think that all this thought is not because he’s from a dysfunctional family (or at least, was) hearing more ‘I hate yous’ than ‘I love yous’ growing up. No, he likes to think that this is because of observing the collective experience of the people around him. He wants to be labeled as an observer, not as a victim or a casualty.

“Dwagon-hyung. How many girlfriends do you have right now?” Kyungsoo asks his babysitter.

Yifan looks at Kyungsoo. He has no idea what to answer to such a question.

---

“Sir Wu, how many girlfriends do you have right now?” Kyungsoo asks his teacher.                         

Yifan looks at Kyungsoo. Years had passed and he still has no idea how to answer that question.

“Why are you asking your teacher such personal question? Do you want to me to give you a detention?” Yifan fakes anger.

“I’m sorry. I’m just too curious.” Kyungsoo pouts. “If you are single, I have this cousin who I think would be a perfect match for you. Her name is Luna.”

“I have no interest in girlfriends right now. As you can see, I’m a busy teacher right now.”

“Well, if you are interested then you can just ask me for her number. She needs to have a real life outside of his Xiuhan fantasies.”

Kyungsoo and Yifan are in the hallway walking towards the faculty room. Kyungsoo offered help when he saw his teacher carrying piles of papers, and Yifan couldn’t decline because aside from wanting to spend time with Kyungsoo, he also really needed some help. Some of the other students they pass by are looking in their direction clearly gossiping. Kyungsoo has no clue to that while Yifan chose to ignore it. Kyungsoo and he spend a lot of time together prompting some students with hyperactive imagination to put malice on their friendship.  Rumors are just rumors, and it doesn’t affect him. They’ll soon die down anyway.

“Are you busy later, Kyungsoo?” Yifan asks, he really needs help in checking some quiz papers and maybe he could treat Kyungsoo with some food (Yifan has been craving some ramen lately) as a way to show gratitude for all his services.

Kyungsoo’s expression sags. “I’m sorry Sir, but I have something to do later.”

“Okay, maybe next time.” Yifan says, and with that, they arrived at the faculty room. Kyungsoo then bids farewell to go to somewhere, handing Yifan the papers he carried. His gaze trails Kyungsoo until he’s out of sight. Yifan sighs. He really wants to spend time together with him.

---

Yifan grabs his keys, phone, and wallet and prepare himself to go out of his apartment to buy a fresh stack of instant foods. As he is locking the door to his apartment, he could hear some kids giggling. He curiously peeks at the direction of the noise as he placed the key back to his front pocket. He’s surprise to see the kids from the apartment next to him together with Kyungsoo. The little girl is carried by Kyungsoo on his back as the little boy is walking beside them carrying a grocery plastic. It looks like fate is on Yifan’s side, he might spend time with Kyungsoo after all.

“K-Kyungsoo.” Yifan tentatively says. The mentioned boy then looks at him. His expression illuminates upon seeing his teacher.

“Sir Wu. You live here now? What a coincidence.” Kyungsoo beams. The two kids with Kyungsoo are eyeing him.

“What are you doing here?” Yifan asks as he eyes his neighbor’s kids back.

“I’m babysitting these two, Chanhyuk and Soohyun. Are you going somewhere, Sir? I’m about to cook us food. You could join us. I kind of bought too much ingredients.”

With that, Yifan finds himself eating the food Kyungsoo cooked. It’s Yifan’s first time there in his neighbor’s apartment as he is not really the friendly kind of neighbor. If he is not outside on his work or in a club, he is locked in his apartment. He only ever goes out when he needs to buy something. Since he moved there, he did not even bother to say hi to his neighbors or just smile at them whenever he passes them. The aroma and taste that the food imparts reminds Yifan how much he misses home cook meals. His stomach grumbles as he keeps taking bites after bites. His tongue celebrates as he savors the rich flavor of the bulgogiKyungsoo cooked. The two kids watch their neighbor curiously as he is practically stuffing the food to his mouth with no etiquette whatsoever.

“Thank you so much for the food. I never had eaten so much in a long time.” Yifan says satisfied with full stomach sitting on the sofa after the meal (or the more suitable word might be a feast). Chanhyuk is playing on the ground with his toy cars while Soohyun is on Kyungsoo’s lap hugging one of her dolls.

“Kyungsoo-hyung. Why are you friends with that ahjussi?” Chanhyuk ask, now daring to speak in front of their neighbor who is as much as a stranger to him.

“Yeah. He always brings different girls on his apartments. Our parents told us that he is a bad influence.” The girl backs his brother.

Kyungsoo laughs at what the kids just said to him while Yifan clenches his fist, fighting the urge to strangle some kids. “You keep telling me that I haven’t change Hyung, but you too haven’t change.  You’re still a promiscuous heartbreaker I see.” There’s a glint on Kyungsoo’s eye as a shrewd smile is showcased on his face, a mischievous plan is brewing in his mind.

Damn these kids. This is why Yifan don’t like them in the first place because sometimes they could be brutally honest. What Kyungsoo said is not true at all, ha had grown and mature over the years. He’s not even that promiscuous. He is now more responsible, and, and, and… okay maybe he haven’t change that much, but he’s a teacher now for crying out loud. He’s got to have some credit for that.

“I’m a pretty girl too Yifan-oppa.”’ Kyungsoo teases, batting his eyes to him.  “Why don’t you break my fragile little heart too?”

“Kyungsoo, this is not funny. I’m your teacher.” Yifan scowls, tensing in his seat. Kyungsoo places Soohyun in the ground with his bother then crawls in the sofa until he’s right beside Yifan. Their face inches close and for a while, Yifan thought that they are about to kiss. His breath hitches, Kyungsoo is too close.

“Oppa… you are still not my boyfriend, yet you are already breaking my heart into pieces” Kyungsoo fakes a pout. Chanhyuk and Soohyun laughs at Kyungsoo’s little playacting but this is no joking matter for Yifan’s case. There’s something about Kyungsoo addressing him as ‘oppa’ that is making him sweaty and jittery. Yifan gulps, shifting in his sit.

“Oppa, why are you not talking to me?” Kyungsoo sits beside him, face looking at each other. Yifan knows that Kyungsoo is a cute kid from when he was still babysitting him, but he hasn’t been this close with him again ever since then. With their proximity, Yifan could now fully observe him. He realized that Kyungsoo is pretty for a boy. The length of his eyelash and the thickness of his lips add a sensual highlight to his otherwise innocent features. His skin looks tender and smooth and… oh god, why is he looking at one of his student this way.

“Oppa!” Kyungsoo says again, stressing the syllables, deliberately making his pacing slow and sultry.

“Kyungsoo. Would you stop that?” Instead of coming out as authoritative, his voice betrays him by coming out as nervous. Thankfully, he did not stutter.

Kyungsoo laughs. “I’m just joking, hyung. I mean, Sir Wu. Now I know why Jongin and Sehun love to tease me so much. It’s actually fun when you are not on the receiving end.” Kyungsoo picks Soohyun up who is glad that she is back at his hyung’s lap.

Yifan’s eyebrows knit plastering faux anger. His intimidation seems to have no effect on Kyungsoo though as he still could not stop his laughter.

“You really haven’t change. You are still no fun at games.” Kyungsoo smirks.

---

“Dwagon-hyung, you are no fun at games. If you are the ‘it’ in hide and seek, you are supposed to look for the hiding persons and not wait for them to show up.” Kyungsoo whines, correcting an inattentive Yifan who is immersed on his cell phone with earphones plugged on both ears. Kyungsoo grimaces and is fighting his urge to cry because he really badly wants to play games and Yifan is being uncooperative. “Jinri-noona is much better than you!”

With an irked “hmmph”, Kyungsoo crosses his fingers then sits at the very end of the sofa farthest away from Yifan. His face is scrunching and he wants to make it obvious that he is disgruntled. Tao, who was sitting on another sofa, goes toward the kitchen to finish the bowl of cereal he had been eating before they played hide and seek, or rather, ‘hide and wait’ would be the more appropriate term. He’s not interested in playing games in the first place as oppose to Kyungsoo who couldn’t sit still wanting to play, play, and play; keen on the very idea that Yifan would play with them, but well, he did not.

Kyungsoo couldn’t fight it any longer as tears started to fall down from his eyes, wiping it away as soon as it drops. He faces away from his babysitter’s direction, not wanting to look weak. He could hide his face but he couldn’t mask the suppressed sounds he is making. Yifan’s ears captured his strangled sobs even with earphones hindering his auricle. This is the first time that Kyungsoo cried under his care.

“Kyungsoo, why are you crying?” His voice is soft and sincere. He makes his way beside Kyungsoo, placing a comforting palm on his lap.

“I’m not crying. I’m just cleaning my eyes.” Kyungsoo denies but he is a smart kid and he knows that he is kidding no one, so he lets out a wail with the thought of wanting to make Yifan guilty on his mind.  “Dwagon-hyung doesn’t want to play games with Kyungie! He is so mean. I thought he was nice.”

“That’s not true. I want to play games with my Kyungie.” Yifan hushes the boy, hugging him. His phone buzzes signaling that there’s a text but he pays no heed as consoling Kyungsoo is his priority right now. “The Kyungie I know doesn’t cry so hush now, baby. Yifan-hyung would play any games you want.”

He knows that he is spoiling Kyungsoo, but he doesn’t care at the moment. He usually is annoyed when he hears children cry, but with Kyungsoo, he feels sorry (and to an extent, endeared). “I’ll buy you lots of food. Would you like that?”

Kyungsoo’s breath is stuttering but is now slowly descending as tears no longer falls from his orbs. He wipes the visage of tears left on his face that mars his face, and soon, a contagious yet familiar shy smile returned to his features.

 “I’m sorry hyung for being such a crybaby. Kyungie won’t do it again.” Kyungsoo apologizes, still sobbing a little.

Since that day, Yifan played along with each of Kyungsoo’s whims, not wanting to be the reason for his tears again. He also sometimes buy the both of them some foods and little toys to the point that he spends more to the kids than from what he earns babysitting them. He had grown accustomed to them, and he really feels like he is their father. He even made a picture of Kyungsoo and Tao as his cell phone wallpaper and if his friends ask him who they are, he smiles then tells them that they are his future sons. Yifan gives them the fatherly care that his own father failed to give him. During his own sixteen years of existence there had only been one real advice that he remembered his father told him:  “If you had found gold, you must not forget to treasure it for sometimes other people might seek it and stole it from you.” His father told him that a week after his parent’s divorce. He could also vividly remember seeing his mother when he was still nine on another man’s arm. That night, he ran away from his house after another argument with his father and was not expecting to see his mother there kissing another man on the park’s playground in the dead of night. Another bitter memory was when he was still twelve and seeing his mother guard a little boy, his half brother no doubt, on that very same playground. It pained him to see the love and care that his mother is giving to this boy when she couldn’t even check on his other sonhimif he was okay. There was a clenching on his chest. He was not okay. He wanted to cry. He still loved his mother, but he realized that it’s that very love that is causing him intense pain. After that day, he decided to not love anyone ever again.

“Yifan-hyung. Let’s go to the park. I want to go in the playground there.” Kyungsoo’s whim tells him one day and he’s not sure if he could fulfill it this time. The park had served as the setting to memories that he wished he never had. Memories that gnaws his nightmares and eats him alive. Kyungsoo though is a part of his good dreams and one of the people who reminds him his alive.

“Pretty please.” Kyungsoo pleads again, arms clasped together as if he's praying.

Kyungsoo keeps begging and pleading with his puppy dog eyes so in the end, Yifan has no choice but to take them there. When they arrived, Kyungsoo instantly run towards the swing, joyous and just so thrilled. Tao, on the other hand, just stayed beside his babysitter observing his excited friend. There are no emotions swimming on Tao’s face. It’s blank. Zero. Empty. Void.

“What’s wrong Tao?”  Yifan asks carefully making Tao snap from his reverie. Tao looks at Yifan and the emotions are back there again.

“Oh. It’s nothing.” He excuses, giving a smile. A fake one most definitely, Yifan thought. He quickly bolts toward Kyungsoo, wanting to push him so he could go higher in the swing and maybe to avoid Yifan's question. His gaze trails towards Tao. Something seems off, but he tries to just shrug it off. He might only be over thinking.

The park is uninviting for him, but the kids he is babysitting are enjoying it. He sits on a bench near the kids, observing them now and then. He notice that Tao’s face would flicker constantly from being happy into being blank and back again. Zitao is well reserved and a generally mature kid for his age unlike Kyungsoo (no offence to him, Kyungsoo has his own charms), but something is indeed really off.

Soon, the sun is starting to set and the two kids are sweaty and tired, panting beside Yifan on the bench. They both have Popsicle sticks on their hand courtesy of Yifan, little tongues flicking out to taste the treat. Yifan caught Tao’s expression voiding again. It's as if he's a weather forecaster who can't decide if the weather would be bright and sunny or sad and cloudy. At the end, he settles on there having a sudden storm, and that storm came from a middle-aged woman approaching Tao.

“Mom! What are you doing here?” Tao's expression changes.

“Tao, I should be the one asking you that.” The woman says. Her eyes then wanders to Kyungsoo and then to Yifan. Her expression also changes, it's as if a sudden storm destroyed her house, and she's there gaping at the wreckage of the aftermath. She tries to plaster a smile but keeps failing. “Yi-Yifan dear. You are Tao's babysitter? H-how have you been? ”

Yifan just sits there. It has been a long time since he last saw his mother. He doesn't know what to do, he's frozen in place and his throat went arid. Uttering a single syllable had become an almost impossible task.

Her mother clears at Yifan's unresponsiveness.

“Ummm... I don't know if Tao told you already, but we will move to China this weekend. He was really opposed to the idea since he wants to stay here with you and Kyungsoo there.” His mother finally musters enough strength to plaster a smile, but it came out awkward.

Yifan looks calm and quiet but that does not mean he is unaffected. He is like the eye of a storm, calm and quiet, but the fact that it's the center of a typhoon is unchanging. Yifan is like that, any seconds he will be a storm. A sudden storm.  Yifan can sense Kyungsoo crying and hugging Tao knowing that it might be last time they'll see each other, but inside Yifan, there’s just chill of silence. He could not think properly. He's indecisive.

There's a slight hesitation, but the next thing Yifan knew, he grabs Kyungsoo then walk away from the park, from his mother, from his half brother. Kyungsoo begs to give Tao one final hug, trying to yank his babysitter's grip, but it goes unheard. It goes in Yifan's left ear and goes out on the right. That might be the last time he'll ever see his mother. That might be the last time he'll ever see Tao.

He realizes that he doesn't care.

He feels blank. Zero. Empty. Void.

---

3. Kiss them on their oo if they ever got hurt.

 

The days that followed after Tao's departure from China, Kyungsoo has an infinite amount of pouts and 'I miss Tao!' in his inventory, and he's not afraid to use one of them every other moment. He never did cry again, must be because he had promised not to be a crybaby, but Kris figures that all of his tears are already shed beforehand at his home whenever he wills himself to sleep in the night. After all, losing your first ever friend is obviously not a happy occasion. If anything, it's the complete opposite of it.

Whenever Kyungsoo is there under Yifan's care, he opts to just draw drawings of his  friend instead of playing games with his babysitter. He also sometimes does not finish his food, and that's a very surprising thing to do if you are Kyungsoo. It's as if he's already mature enough to think the consequences of losing a person and a dear friend at that.

“I miss my future husband.” Kyungsoo whines again. Yifan could do nothing but console him by giving him lollipop, and it's not just any lollipop. It has to be bubblegum flavored because that's Kyungsoo's favorite.

It is at those moments that Yifan realizes that even if Tao is the boy who stole his mother away from him, he never did and will never hate him. It's not his fault that he was born from his mother's belly. It's not his fault that the lullabies that lulls him to sleep is also the very same lullabies he heard when he was young. Maybe his mother tried to sing it better because maybe he loves Tao better, but then again, those are not Tao's fault either.

“Baby, do you want to go on a date with your Dragon-hyung?” Yifan asks one day, now starting to miss Kyungsoo's smile and wanting to prove (more to himself) that they could still have fun even without Tao. Kyungsoo nods and they find themselves in the mall watching an animated movie that Kyungsoo wanted to see. The glimmer is back on Kyungsoo's eyes as a smile returns to his face. Yes, they could definitely still enjoy their company.

---

Saying that a war erupted in Kyungsoo's section may not be an exaggeration. Tensions are very high especially between Jongin, Sehun, Baekhyun, Yixing, and Tao. No one would let Kyungsoo out of their eyesight in fear that the others would make a move on him if they are not careful enough. Kyungsoo thought that they became a nice group of friends, a friend circlehanging out, teasing, goofing off, looking out for each other, and generally always togetherbut that's far from it. “Isn't it great? We are all chummy chums.” Kyungsoo by now should really realize that his tiny group of 'chummy chums' are actually a group of suitors vying for who they think is the ultimate price, him.

(But in the essence of fairness, Kyungsoo's friends are at fault either. They have the option to straight out confess to Kyungsoo and get this entire thing over with, but none of them choose that route.)

Kyungsoo's chummy chums (or so that's what he called them) are keen on their senses. Even a miniscule insignificant thing that Kyungsoo would say has become a port for them to show their superiority over the rest.

“I'm craving for a Taco.” Kyungsoo comments over lunch one time, their ears caught that information in a vice grip and did not slid it out. The day after that, five different tacos are being offered to an overwhelmed Kyungsoo. Not one would take down their offer. It's like the ice cream parlor all over again. Kyungsoo has no heart to accept just one taco and just give his gratitude to the others. He also has no heart to not accept any at all and just excuse it as being fair because he knows that they went off their way just to get him a taco. In the end, he accepts them all and the full belly that resulted from that made him think again that he will become fatter. Blame Kyungsoo's friends when Kyungsoo did not accept his older brother's gift to him when he returns home. Joonmyun has to eat an extra pack of black chocolate that night (that was supposed to be Kyungsoo's), despairing in the bitterness of being taken for granted.

Kyungsoo's friends, with the exception of Jongin and Sehun, don’t get along well. They are always on different pages, not giving any effort to give their possible friendship a slim chance. However, in one of their subjects, they have no choice but to put their differences aside and form a ragtag alliance against the prying eyes of their classmates. That subject is PE, and that semester their PE is swimming. Putting the puzzle pieces together, anyone could deduce why they are closest to being really 'chummy chums' whenever they're on that class. Swimming requires them to only wear swimming trunks, and that's a good thought if it's just them taking that subject. After all, they could feast their eyes on Kyungsoo's glorious body. Reality though is a jerk, they have to share PE with the rest of their classmates and some of them may not maintain innocent thoughts.

It's an unspoken agreement between them, no one initiated for them to do it, but after they are only wearing their trunks and are around the pool, each of them would stand around Kyungsoo effectively forming a wall of them to block their classmates' gaze. Funny how Yixing is one of them when he's actually the one with the wildest thoughts.

Every PE, they would do just that, much to their classmates' hate. Every PE too, all Kyungsoo could see are his friends toned bodies and moving proves to be a difficult task as he would constantly bump to one of them every other instant. He only has his free time away from them whenever they are swimming in the pool. Kyungsoo is enthusiastic with swimming, but enthusiasm alone won't make you a great swimmer so Kyungsoo is always stuck in the shallowest part of the pool just splashing there and watching his friends and classmates with envy. Why must he not know how to swim when he loves water more than the rest of them? Kyungsoo sighs, life is indeed a jerk.

His frustration got stuck with him that when they got out of the pool again, and when his friends made a routine wall of them around him, he took it out on them.

“Guys, why must you always surround me? Do you want to show off that badly that you all have great bodies? Fine, you are all y and I'm fat” Kyungsoo grunts, knowing perfectly well that he is acting childish. He just couldn't control himself and his frustration.

“Woah jagiya, who gave you the angry pills?” Yixing says, appealed at Kyungsoo's angry bout.

“Need I say again that your body is completely fine?” Tao says, smirking.

Kyungsoo heaves another sigh.

“I'm sorry guys for snapping out, I just got jealous because you are all good at swimming.” Kyungsoo confesses, looking down. It's not like him to be insecure, but knowing how to swim is part of his bucket list and he just doesn't know how to even if he tries hard.

One time, their coach is absent and instead of there being no class, he asks another teacher for a favor to substitute; and of course, it has to be...

“Sir Wu, you are going to be our coach for the day?” An ever excited Kyungsoo runs to his teacher slash friend. Kyungsoo's classmates (with the exclusion of Tao) do not like Yifan one bit, and seeing Kyungsoo being all jumpy and ecstatic in front of him is not that good. The rumors floating around in the other sections that Yifan is Kyungsoo’s sugar daddy also adds up to their stress against their adviser. They have to always protect Kyungsoo’s name whenever they caught people whispering about him and Yifan. Let’s just say that Kyungsoo’s classmates are good at being intimidating. Baekhyun is after all, one of them.

Yifan, since the time Kyungsoo called him 'oppa', couldn't stop thinking about him. His dreams are always plagued by the said boy, and no matter how he wills to make his view of Kyungsoo strictly platonic or professional, his body and mind is just not that easy to manipulate.

“Yes, Kyungsoo,” Yifan answers rather stiffly. “Why don't you join your friends there?” or I don't know what the capacity I have to do if you keep sticking yourself around me; I don’t want to be reprimanded if I did something bad.

Kyungsoo’s expression sags, he wants to stay with Yifan, but he is still the teacher. He reluctantly returns to his friend. It’s not that he doesn’t want to be with his friends, it’s just that Yifan seems to be avoiding him lately, and he’s getting desperate of his teacher’s attention. Yifan could not help it, but as Kyungsoo is returning to his friends, his gaze trails south to Kyungsoo’s bottom swaying as he walks. It is an unconscious action at first, but once he’s aware of what he’s doing, he doesn’t have the energythe willto pry his eyes away. Why must their swimming uniform be some skimpy skintight shorts and not some sort of pajamas? He wills his hormones to chill out but failing miserably. He should by now know that he should take extra precautionary measures in looking at Kyungsoo because he’s students are on to him.

He clears his throat, finally winning the battle with his needs. (He doubts though if he will ever win the war.)

“I’ll group you guys into groups of five and make you race to assess how good you are at swimming.” Yifan announces. Kyungsoo gulps upon hearing the instruction. “The first five would be: Jongin, Sehun, Baekhyun, Yixing, and Tao.”

Saying that Yifan purposely group them together would not be far off. Competition is once again oozing in the air. This is not just a race to see who’s fastest in swimming, no, this is more than that. This is a competition of pride; A competition to see who’s deserving of Kyungsoo (as if swimming could conclude who is that).

They each head to the starting position and when Yifan blows the whistle, they piston to the pool. They are all fast and swift, their motivation and drive to win have no ceiling. They all want Kyungsoo to cheer for them, but Kyungsoo is a quiet ball of worry while watching them; probably because they have a race and he still freaking don’t know how to swim.

They were all at first neck to neck, not one wanting the others to win. Such thoughts that they wouldn’t win and have Kyungsoo’s congratulatory hug is repulsing. However, when they made the turn, Tao is just a wee more skillful; pushing his way to the lead. Once he got the momentum, Tao did not let go of it. Jongin and Baekhyun are still trying their best to overtake Tao while Sehun and Yixing are already falling behind. They are all already close to the finish line, and Tao is winning by a long lead. Jongin still wouldn’t give up. He tried to think of swimming as dancing. With that, his glide turns fluid. He’s catching up. He’s becoming water itself. Jongin last minute effort, although fruitful, is alas already too late. Tao wins the race. He is also already being hugged by Kyungsoo.

“Aren’t I the most amazing, Kyungsoo?” Tao says once the others are already behind him, deliberately trying to intensify their hate on him. He did not fail.

“Yes, you are so cool.” Kyungsoo plasters a gleeful persona even if he’s a nervous wreck inside.

Yifan congratulates Tao then announce the next five to race. Kyungsoo gulps again, he is one of them. Kyungsoo and the others walk to the starting position. Kyungsoo’s friends (and the rest of his classmates) cheers for him, giving all the more added pressure to him. Kyungsoo briefly plans on backing out and excuse himself as not feeling well, but then Yifan blows the whistle and he jumps to the pool on reflex.

The other four are obviously faster than him, but at least he’s not sinking. He actually could finish the race even if he’s last. Kyungsoo inwardly celebrates, he miraculously knows how to swim. Thank you life for not being a jerk for once. Maybe some more practice and he’ll be a great swimmer.

“Kyungsoo, what are you doing?” Kyungsoo could hear Yifan ask. Maybe he’s surprise that he knows how to swim already. He’s surely going to tell his Joonmyun-hyung about this achievement.

“Swimming.” Kyungsoo answers rather smugly. The others are already halfway through, already making their return trip. It’s fine though because Kyungsoo thinks he’s already a winner by knowing how to swim. 

“That is not swimming.” Yifan deadpans.

“Then what am I doing?” Kyungsoo asks, fighting the urge to roll his eyes because if he’s not swimming then what is he doing? Flying? That’s absurd. Maybe Yifan needs to go to a psychiatrist.

“You are walking in the pool.”  Yifan answers with face hard and unwavering. “Try to get your feet off the floor.”

“No, I think I’m fine with this swimming style.” Kyungsoo says, scare evident because he could feel the floor getting deeper and deeper. Is the floor inclined or something? Yes, it is. Soon the water level reaches his mouth and he just wants to return already, but he doesn’t want to be labeled as a quitter. He could barely hear Yifan announcing the winner. It’s his classmate Chanyeol. Good for him. He, on the other hand, is not in a good position. The water level is already beyond his height, and he’s jumping and flapping his arms in swimming motion. For a while, he feels like he is floating but then he realizes that all he could see is water, water, and water. He tries to flap up and to scream in the top of his lungs but to no avail.

He knows that he is sinking, and it’s already too late to return.

He just hopes someone would save him before it is indeed too late.

---

Kyungsoo could remember it.

The first time his lips meet Yifan’s.

At that day, he is watching a marathon of animated movies in Yifan’s television, a bowl of junk foods in his lap and his skin reflecting the lights of the television. Kyungsoo’s three favorite stuffed animals are made to sit beside him. He’s watching sleeping beauty. Don’t judge him for watching a Disney princess movie because in his defense, he had done watching all the superhero and adventure cartoons and the only other options left would be films with actual humans in it or Barbie. He doesn’t want to watch live action films because it’s boring and he deems Barbie more girly so he chose to watch Sleeping Beauty instead. To add more, Kyungsoo is wearing a pink hello kitty T-shirt. The reason? Yifan might have accidentally spilled milk on Kyungsoo’s previous shirt and that shirt is the only clothing that would fit Kyungsoo there. Why do Yifan own a small Hello Kitty shirt? He might have really bought it for Kyungsoo with a devious plan of ‘accidentally’ spilling milk on him so that Kyungsoo could change into it instead. Yifan had always wanted to have a little sister or maybe a daughter. It’s the psychotic side effect of boredom that only happens to Yifan that made him think of this plan.

“Daddy’s little girl.” Yifan smirks watching Kyungsoo who is absorbed at the television.

Kyungsoo must have heard it because his face knits then looks at Yifan.

“You are not my daddy and I’m not a girl.” He puffs his cheeks trying to glare at his babysitter.

Yifan lets out a chortle. “Who says that I’m referring to my little Kyungie?” He teasingly squeezes Kyungsoo’s cheeks earning a scowl from the boy. Kyungsoo did not reply to his babysitter and chooses to divert his attention back to Sleeping Beauty. Aurora is about to touch the needle that would lead to eternal slumber. Yifan tries to annoy Kyungsoo to gain back his attention but the boy vehemently ignores him. Yifan is being an annoying prick that doesn’t deserve his attention.

“Kyungsoo, the witch cursed me to an everlasting sleep too if you would continue to ignore me and not admit that you are daddy’s little girl.” Yifan pleads. Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, still choosing to ignore his babysitter.

Yifan screams mockingly then dramatically keens and falls to the sofa in faux sleep. “Noooooo…. The curse is acting.”

Kyungsoo stuffs another chip in his mouth, not a slight bit alarmed or dithered at his babysitter’s mental health, or rather, mental degradation. He’s about to pick another chip to stuff in his mouth but then his hand meets an empty bowl. He groans.

“Dwagon-hyung, I want more chips.” Kyungsoo frowns to his babysitter. Yifan did not budge. “Dwagon-hyung, stop acting.”

After a moment or two, Yifan is still ‘sleeping’ and Kyungsoo is starting to feel nervous. His Yifan-hyung is a good person who always gives him what he wants instantly especially if it’s food, and Yifan is being unresponsive now.

“Dwagon-hyung?” Kyungsoo anxiously calls, shaking Yifan to wake up. Still, there is no response.

“Dwagon-hyung?!” He screams this time, worry painted in his eyes. Oh no, perhaps his hyung is being honest. Maybe he was indeed cursed by the witch. This is his entire fault. His Dwagon-hyung is always good to him and what does he get in return? Him acting as a brat. His hyung doesn’t deserve him.

“Fine. I’m daddy Yifan’s little girl.” Kyungsoo admits.

Yifan is grinning in his mind; he should’ve recorded what had been just said.  He’s still having fun teasing Kyungsoo though so he did not part his eyes.

“Dwagon-hyung?” Kyungsoo repeats, desperation now laced in his voice. He shakes Yifan awake again but it’s still no use.

What should he do? Perhaps true love’s kiss would work? He loves his dwagon-hyung very much and giving his first kiss to save a life doesn’t sound so bad. He breathes deeply; he should do this and be a prince charming. His fist clenches on his babysitter’s shirt. The forgotten television is also showing sleeping beauty’s prince leaning down to give his own true love’s kiss. Soon, soft lips meet another one. Both Yifan and Sleeping Beauty is being kissed. 

Yifan is not expecting that. The kiss caught him by surprise, his eyes abruptly opens. He lightly pushes Kyungsoo a bit.

“Dwagon-hyung, you’re awake” Kyungsoo hugs his babysitter; never again will he disobey him. He did it, he broke a curse. “I’m so glad I’m your prince.”

Yifan hugs Kyungsoo back and smiles more to himself. He should’ve seen this coming considering they’re watching sleeping beauty. Never had he thought that he would be on the princess’ shoes between the two of them. He touches his lips and did not regret what he just did leading up to Kyungsoo giving him a peck.

He shrugs; maybe it’s also another side-effect of boredom.

That day was the last day Kyungsoo was under Yifan’s care. That day, Yifan also discovers that life could give you many surprises along your way. Kyungsoo and Tao was a nice surprise in his life, but that day, he did not receive that kind of surprise. That day, his father died and his custody was placed on his uncle who lives in another province. Kyungsoo and Yifan had not meet again for a long time after Yifan came to his house and say that he too, like Tao, is moving away. That day, Kyungsoo cried not wanting to let go of his babysitter, his dragon-hyung. He cried and cried and not even his Joonmyun-hyung’s words of comfort could fill the void that Yifan left that day.

Kyungsoo could still remember the feeling of Yifan’s lips on him. Calling that his first kiss may be a little far-fetched because it’s just a mere graze of lips on lips, but the feeling of Yifan’s lips is ingrained on his mind.

It’s hazy.

It’s vague.

Kyungsoo couldn’t breathe. He needs oxygen. He could feel it. He could feel lips on his lips. He could feel air. He could feel water in his lungs. He could hear indistinct sounds of people. Wait, the lips. He could feel it again. He could be wrong, but he thinks that it’s Yifan’s. He could remember the feeling.

It's still hazy.

It's still vague.

“Damn it. Kyungsoo, don’t die on my watch.” Yifan curses. He pumps Kyungsoo’s chest again as his other students are crowding him, all worried for Kyungsoo. “Don’t crowd around us. Give us some air, Kyungsoo needs it.” 

Emotions are surging inside Yifan. Why must Kyungsoo be so stubborn?  If he doesn’t know how to swim, he could have just flat out said it.  Now, look what happened to him. No, this should not be Kyungsoo’s only fault. He’s dying for goodness’ sake. This is his fault too. If he’s not an incompetent teacher who had saved Kyungsoo earlier then Kyungsoo might still be in good condition.

This should not be happening.

No, he doesn’t want to lose Kyungsoo. He had lost so much in his life already. There are only a few people that he treasures in the world. Kyungsoo is one of them, and everyday Kyungsoo’s worth is escalating rapidly with no plans of stopping or even slowing down. Someday, he will be worth gold. Someday, he will worth more than that. Someday, maybejust maybehe will make Yifan believe in love again. That’s not his dilemma right now because he needs to keep Kyungsoo alive first.

“If you had found gold, you must not forget to treasure it for sometimes other people might seek it and stole it from you,” his father had told him.

Kyungsoo is his gold, he knows that now and there’s no way he would lose his gold too early, he hasn’t even treasured him yet. Kyungsoo needs to be treasured. Yifan is getting desperate now. He pumps Kyungsoo’s chest frantically.

“Damn it.” He curses again. All of the people around them turns into blur. It’s just Kyungsoo and him.

 He resuscitate Kyungsoo again, mouth on mouth.

When they separate, Kyungsoo began coughing out water. He slowly opens his eyes seeing his teacher and his friends behind him. Yifan sighs, never had he become so delighted in his life. The rest of Kyungsoo’s classmate also has their fair share of rejoicing.

“Dr-Dragon Hyung?” Kyungsoo asks with a broken voice.

“Yes," Yifan smiles then hugs Kyungsoo tightly, no plans of letting him go again. He could feel Kyungsoo’s heartbeat, he’s alive. Maybe the thump of Kyungsoo’s chest is the one that urged him to do what he did next. Maybe, it’s the joyful relief after the anxiousness and helplessness. It surprises not only Kyungsoo and his students, but also him.

His lips meets Kyungsoo’s lips, and this time, a real kiss. It’s no longer a mere graze of lips on lips. It’s no longer the kiss of life desperate to keep his student alive. It’s Kyungsoo’s first kiss and Yifan’s first real kiss. His lips move fluidly with Kyungsoo’s lips. It’s still an innocent kiss, Yifan thinks that first kisses are suppose to be that; but still, there’s a fair amount of need that zests it. There’s a fair amount of want. There’s a fair amount of desire.

Everyone surrounding them does not like what they are seeing. All of them turned quiet, watching Kyungsoo being kissed by his savior and it is sad for them not to be that savior. Jongin, Sehun, Yixing, Baekhyun, and Tao let Yifan resuscitate Kyungsoo because he’s the only one there that could do it, but there’s no way they would tolerate this, even Tao. 

“Sir Wu.” Kyungsoo says, blushing profusely upon their separation. Now, he’s fully awake and no longer delirious. The kiss jolts all his senses back. "What was that?"

“I-I’m sorry, I just got too excited.” Yifan excuses awkwardly. “Ummm… yeah.”

Yifan realizes that he is still surrounded by his student and he’s in a whole lot of trouble if someone reports him to the principal. No one does though, but from then on, Yifan was pegged by them as competition and not as a teacher. He is an equal to them vying for him, but perhaps he has the advantage of the first kiss at the moment.

“Kyungsoo, you’re so stupid. You could’ve gotten yourself dead you idiot.” Baekhyun sermons as if he’s not the one who cried first when Kyungsoo is unconscious and hanging to dear life. He hugs Kyungsoo, separating him with their teacher.

“Yaah, you’re being mean to me again.” Kyungsoo hugs his friend. Soon, the other joined Baekhyun too.

“No one would give us the cuddles if you’re gone” Jongin adds.

“Yes, don’t forget the cuddles. We won’t forget the cuddles.” Sehun backs.

“Jagiya, you should’ve seen Baekhyun crying. He looks hilarious.”  Yixing laughs earning a hit from Baekhyun.

Tao has a statement: Kyungsoo belongs to him. He would not ever forget that and he still wants everybody to ingrain it in their mind.  This is a joyous occasion though and perhaps he could excuse himself and hug Kyungsoo with the others. Perhaps sharing Kyungsoo for a while with them won’t be that bad. He looks at his teacher who is looking at him.

He smiles.

Yifan smiles back.

They both got Kyungsoo first, and they should work together to get Kyungsoo last. Another alliance formed and joined the battle, but there’s still no end in sight on this war.

---

Yifan returns to his apartment, smiling and greeting Soohyun's and Chanhyuk’s mom for the first when he passes her. Hey, he got Kyungsoo’s first kiss and just the thought of that brings a never-ending smile on his face. He could remember how soft Kyungsoo’s lips feels like, and how sweet it taste like.  He got addicted after just one taste. He’s excited for the next if there will ever be one. Of course, there will be. He’ll make sure of that.

Even if he’s not good with kids, babysitting Tao and Kyungsoo comes easy to him. Maybe it’s because Tao shares the same blood with him and maybe taking care of Kyungsoo is second nature to him. Soon, maybe loving him would be second nature too.

He did not even read the note that Jinri gave to him.

 

A Beginner’s Guide to Babysitting:

  1. Don’t invoke Tao’s rage; he is a tad bit possessive of Kyungsoo.
  2. Kyungsoo loves to play games. He’ll cry endlessly if you decline a game invitation.
  3. Kiss them on their oo if they ever got hurt.

 

---

Yifan is Kyungsoo’s first kiss.

Nervous lips on timid ones.

There’s a long story leading up to that event, but it’s still a memorable moment nevertheless.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In case you don't know, Soohyun and Chanhyuk are the members of AkMu (I'm 200% in love with them). Mr. Jo is also Jo Insung, haha. So yeah, Kris got some mouth action with Kyungsoo, and what's with me and all this war nonsense. (Don't take this fic seriously) Haha. Next up is Minsoo and Hansoo but expect more bonus chapters in the future. I'll also put a closure on the Yifan and Tao drama in one of those. 

I seriously don't know how to end this Kyungsoo Harem. Help! T-T

 

boredpanda98