Table

Definitively not the same

The little girl grinned as she pulled the chair away from the table. She looked around the dining room, and when she didn’t see anyone else she got on her knees and crawled under the table, only stopping to bring the chair back to its original place.

 

When she turned around she found herself seated next to another girl who was lying on her back. Eyes closed and chest rhythmically rising and falling.

 

She smiled by the sight and moved to lie down beside the other girl. Her eyes went up to the table’s underside which was right above them. Her smile widened and she turned to the girl next to her, her grin widening even more.

 

“Didn’t your mom tell you to not sleep with your glasses on?” She asked the girl next to her. She didn’t get a reply as the girl was deep in slumber. She lightly giggled and reached her hand out towards the girl and gently removed the glasses that the girl was still wearing.

 

She smiled by her handiwork when she now looked at the girl. She scooted a bit closer to the girl before she looked forward again, at the underside of the table. Her eyebrows furrowed when she looked at the surface.

 

Something was missing.

 

Her eyes went to the girl next to her. On the girl’s stomach lied a sketchbook. Her eyes darted to the girl’s face before she carefully lifted on the sketchbook and found a pen, exactly what she was in need for now.

 

With a smile she took the pen away from the girl’s hand and turned back to the underside of the table. Her tongue was captured between her teeth as she stared up at the empty surface.

 

All the possibilities she had.

 

 

---

 

 

The woman leaned her back against the backrest of the chair. A tired sigh escaped her lips and she tilted her head left and right before straightening it up again. Her eyes went back to the laptop screen in front of her, a list of jobs to apply to was in front of her. The sight made her frown.

 

Another sighed escaped her lips and she propped her elbow on the table, the limb accidentally knocking the pen that had been on the table and making in rolling down to the floor. Her eyes closed and an annoyed sigh escaped her lips.

 

Stupid pen. She thought and moved the chair beside her to be able to bend down to find the pen. Seeing the item had landed on the floor under the table another tired sigh escaped her lips.

 

She straightened up in her seat before pushing the chair back so she could get down on her knees and crawl under the table. Her hand landed on the pen and before she could get out from under the table a wave of nostalgia hit her.

 

Her eyebrows furrowed and she moved further in under the table. She spun around and lied down on her back. Her eyes stared up at the table’s underside. A small smile appeared on her lips when she saw the words and drawings on the surface.

 

“Good morning Taeyeon!” Was written on one side of the table. Something that resembled flowers was drawn around the text. On the other side of the table were stars drawn and the text “By Jessica J.” was written.

 

She continued to admire the work of the seven year old girl that had made it. And she continued to think back to the day it had happened. A chuckle escaped her lips and she reached the hand with the pen up, feeling it made contact with the table, and slowly began drawing, right above where the ‘Good morning Taeyeon’ text was written.

 

 

---

 

 

The front door was unlocked when the woman entered. It wasn’t something unusual as the door usually was unlocked whenever one of the family members were home. The grin never left her lips as she removed her shoes and went further into the house.

 

She first made her way to the living room, seeing it was empty she turned around and made her way towards the kitchen. The sight of a woman with an apron made her smile and she walked into the kitchen.

 

“Hello.” She said and she went to the counter where some of the dishes the woman had made were. The woman spun around, surprise displayed on her face, that soon was replaced with delight as her eyes landed on the young woman’s form.

 

“Hello, Jessica.” Mrs. Kim greeted and turned back to what she had previously been doing. “How was work?”

 

“It was fun.” Jessica replied with a grin and turned towards the woman.

 

“That’s good.” Mrs. Kim said.

 

“Where’s Taeyeon?”

 

“She was in the dining room last time I saw her.”

 

“Ah, still job hunting?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I see.” Jessica said and nodded her head. A smile appeared on her lips by the thought of the other woman and she glanced one last time at the food Taeyeon’s mother was making. “I’ll tell her dinner is ready soon.” Jessica said and started making her way towards the dining room.

 

“Please do.”

 

Jessica grinned as she entered the dining room, only to have her grin falter when she noticed it was empty. The only unusual thing in the room was Taeyeon’s laptop. Her eyes blinked confused and made her way towards the laptop, her eyes landing on the black screen.

 

She looked around the dining room one last time before she took a seat in front of the laptop. She pushed the chair forward and pressed the on button the gadget. The screen lit up and soon Jessica was staring at the list of jobs Taeyeon had been looking at. A small smile grew on her lips when she scrolled through the list.

 

She shifted a bit in her seat, only to jump in surprise when she felt her feet bump into something soft under the table. She pushed the chair back and bent down to check what it was, only to have a wide grin appearing on her lips when she found the person she had been looking for.

 

“This is a very unexpected place to find you at.” Jessica said. Hearing no response from the woman under the table Jessica pushed back the chair even more to crawl under the table and join Taeyeon. When she was sitting beside the woman she noticed Taeyeon had fallen asleep. The sight made her chuckle.

 

“Is this your new napping place?” Jessica asked and brushed a few hair strands away from the sleeping woman’s face. She still didn’t get a reply and her eyes went to the pen in Taeyeon’s hand. Her eyebrows rose in surprise and she lied down to get a look at the underside of the table. The smile on her lips widened and she turned back to the girl sleeping beside her.

 

“Is this what you do when you grow tired of looking for jobs?” Jessica asked amused. Taeyeon was still deep in slumber and Jessica chuckled amused. She took the pen from Taeyeon’s hand and placed it right above the drawing Taeyeon must have made. She wrote the day’s date and year and wrote ‘By Taeyeon K’ before she pulled away the pen and admired her fiancée’s work for a few more seconds.

 

Her smile grew and she turned back to Taeyeon. She lightly nudged the woman, making Taeyeon stir in her sleep and turn her head towards her. Jessica found herself staring into Taeyeon’s sleepy eyes, her smile almost splitting her face in half by the sight.

 

“Hi.” Jessica greeted.

 

“Hi.” Taeyeon tiredly replied and brought her hand up to her eyes and rubbed them.

 

“How is the job searching going?” Jessica asked.

 

“Like usual. How was work?” Taeyeon asked with a yawn.

 

“It was fun.” Jessica said and turned back to the drawing Taeyeon had made. “Is this part of the job searching?” She asked and pointed up towards the table.

 

Taeyeon’s eyes slightly widened, and even though it was a bit darker under the table Jessica could see the blush that appeared on Taeyeon’s cheeks. She smiled and scooted closer to the woman.

 

“I like it. But why did you draw it under the table?” Jessica asked.

 

“You inspired me.” Taeyeon mumbled.

 

Jessica chuckled and turned to the drawings. “Should I feel proud of that?”

 

“You should, considering that when you drew under the table and told me to do it I refused.”

 

Jessica grinned by the memory and turned to Taeyeon again. “Well, look what time has done to you. Now I don’t even need to convince you to draw.” Jessica said with a smile.

 

“I just needed time to find the courage to draw under my parents’ dinner table.” Taeyeon mumbled. Jessica chuckled and turned to lie on her side to admire the young adult beside her.

 

“So seventeen years later you found the courage to do it.” Jessica said.

 

“Yeah.” Taeyeon said and turned to Jessica.

 

“You’re so cute.” Jessica said and leaned closer to plant a kiss on Taeyeon’s lips. When she pulled away Taeyeon was blushing madly. “By the way, your mom is making dinner and it’s almost ready.”

 

“Is it already time for dinner?” Taeyeon asked.

 

“Time flies by when you sleep the day away.” Jessica said and gave Taeyeon one last kiss before she turned around. She stopped in her tracks and lied down next to the other woman again.

 

“What are you doing?” Taeyeon asked when Jessica fished up her phone from her pocket.

 

“Taking a picture of your drawing.” Jessica replied with a grin and held her phone right under where Taeyeon’s drawing was. “I’m going to show it off to my coworkers.” She added with a grin.

 

“Please don’t.” Taeyeon begged.

 

“Why not?”

 

“It’ll be embarrassing.”

 

“Can I at least show it to my mom?”

 

“Can’t you keep it to yourself like it’s our secret?”

 

A pout appeared on Jessica’s lips and she looked at the picture displayed on her phone.

 

“But I want to brag about how good you are at drawing.” Jessica said and turned towards Taeyeon.

 

“But I don’t want to be bragged about.”

 

Jessica continued to pout and looked at Taeyeon. The latter just shook her head at the expression and turned away from the woman.

 

“I’m not letting you brag about me.” Taeyeon said and pushed the chair next to her and crawled out from under the table.

 

“But I want to.” Jessica said and followed Taeyeon.

 

“I’m not brag worthy.” Taeyeon said and turned towards Jessica when they both were standing.

 

“Oh, no. You’re more than brag worthy.” Jessica said and grinned.

 

“No, Jessica, please. Do not brag about me.” Taeyeon begged and looked Jessica in the eyes. “Please? I will feel uncomfortable if you do.”

 

Jessica continued to pout, her shoulders slumped and her gaze went down to the phone in her hands.

 

“But your talent is worth bragging about.” She argued.

 

“Keep my talent a secret.” Taeyeon said and placed her hand over the phone to block Jessica’s view to the picture. “I only draw for you, okay?” Taeyeon said and looked Jessica in the eyes when the girl met her gaze.

 

“Stubborn as ever.” Jessica said a small smile slowly appearing her lips.

 

“Look who’s talking.” Taeyeon said and placed her arms around Jessica’s neck. Jessica responded by placing her arms around Taeyeon’s waist and brought the woman closer. She placed a chaste kiss on Taeyeon’s lips and chuckled at the small blush that appeared on the her cheeks.

 

“You doing okay when I’m at work?” Jessica asked and tilted her head to the side.

 

“No, I start drawing under tables when you’re gone.” Taeyeon said and rolled her eyes. Jessica chuckled and glanced at the laptop on the table.

 

“I was wondering if you were missing me.” Jessica said and looked back at Taeyeon. “Because I do. I miss you when I’m at work.” Jessica confessed with a grin.

 

Taeyeon sighed and leaned her forehead against Jessica’s. “I miss you.” Taeyeon said and closed her eyes.

 

“Is that why you draw portraits of me under the table?”

 

“Yes, that’s exactly why I draw portraits of you no one else but we will see.” Taeyeon said and opened her eyes. Jessica was grinning at her and a small smile appeared on her lips by the sight.

 

“Girls, if you’re done soaking in the love for each other maybe you could help me make the table?” Taeyeon’s mother interrupted their moment and the two women broke away from each other to turn to the older woman.

 

“Yes, mom.” Taeyeon said and distanced herself from Jessica. The latter grinned when she saw the blush on Taeyeon’s cheeks.

 

“Can I show your mom the picture then?” Jessica asked when Taeyeon had gone to her laptop. Taeyeon wide eyed turned to the her.

 

“Absolutely not!” Taeyeon said and earned a confused look from her mother. 

 

“What picture?” Mrs. Kim asked and looked from Taeyeon to Jessica.

 

“No picture.” Taeyeon said and turned towards Jessica. “I swear Jessica, if you show her I’ll make you sleep on the floor.”

 

Mrs. Kim gave her daughter a weird look and she glanced at Taeyeon one last time before she turned to leave for the kitchen. She stopped by the doorway and turned to the two women in the dining room.

 

“The way you react, Taeyeon, it sounds like you’ve sent pictures to Jessica.” Mrs. Kim said and exited the dining room, missing the blushing and gaping Taeyeon, and the very amused Jessica.

 

“Well, that’s– “

 

“Don’t.” Taeyeon warned and sent a glare towards Jessica.

 

“What?” Jessica asked oblivious.

 

“Do not mention it.” Taeyeon said and tried to calm down by focusing on gathering her laptop and other things.

 

“But there’s no picture.” Jessica said. “Well, except for in my mind, but no one else will be able to see them but me.” Jessica said and grinned. Taeyeon began blushing once again and tried to focus on getting her things away from the dining table.

 

“You’re cute.” Jessica said when Taeyeon didn’t say anything.

 

“And you’re embarrassing.” Taeyeon mumbled and hugged her laptop to her chest and tried to make her way towards the door but got stopped by Jessica before she had been able to reach it.

 

She got spun around towards the other woman, coming face to face with a grinning Jessica. While she was distracted by Jessica’s smile and warm eyes the latter had managed to slip her laptop away from her arms.

 

“You forgot something.” Jessica said, her eyebrows raising in an expectantly manner. Taeyeon blinked confused at her.

 

“What?” Taeyeon asked.

 

“Welcome…”Jessica said and smiled when she saw Taeyeon had realized what it was she had forgotten.

 

“Welcome home.” Taeyeon said with a small smile displayed on her lips. Jessica grinned pleased and kissed Taeyeon tenderly.

 

“I’m home.” She said when she pulled away, taking in the glimmering in Taeyeon’s eyes, and the flushed cheeks that made her smile.

 

Taeyeon avoided her gaze and spun around from her, Jessica slipped her arm around Taeyeon’s waist and together they made their way into the kitchen to help Taeyeon’s mother make the table.