Spider

Definitively not the same

The girl caught something moving in the corner of her eye. She turned her head, her eyes landing on a relatively small dot on the wall; a dot she discovered wasn’t really a dot as she saw it moving on its eight thread-like legs.

 

The corner of her lips curved upwards into a smile. She moved closer to the wall and watched as the insect crawled upwards. She bent her head back and watched as it stopped on the wall above her head. Her smile widened and she turned around, catching the sight of the woman who was watering the plants in the garden.

 

“Mom!” The girl said and waved her hands above her head. The action earned her the attention of her mother who looked up from the tulips she had been given water.

 

“Yes, sweetheart?” The woman replied.

 

“Look mom, we have a guest!” The little girl said and pointed at the wall.

 

The statement made the woman go up to her daughter’s side to see what guest the girl was talking about. She looked at where the girl was pointing and discovered what guest that had found a place on the wall to their house.

 

“Oh, Jessica. It’s just a spider.” The woman said and patted the little girl’s head. A frown appeared on the girl’s lips and she watched as her mother made her way back to the tulips.

 

“Shouldn’t we treat it to something?” Jessica asked.

 

“No, just leave it where it is.” Her mother replied.

 

Jessica continued to frown and she sat down cross legged in front of the wall and continued to look at the spider. Her head tilted to the side and she kept wondering what to treat a spider to.

 

“Mom, why can’t we treat the spider to something when we treated the hedgehog when we found it?” Jessica asked and turned around to her mother. “They’re the same. Both of them have hearts. Why can’t we treat the spider the same as the hedgehog?”

 

The woman began chuckling and looked up at her daughter.

 

“Spiders are picky guests, sweetie. It’s not that easy to treat them to something. It’s better just leaving it alone.” The mother replied.

 

Jessica’s mother went back to take care of the flowers and plants while the daughter was left of the veranda to try to figure out how to satisfy a picky spider’s needs.

 

 

---

 

 

Brown eyes followed the cursor that moved on the screen. A bored sigh escaped the young woman’s lips and she rested her chin on the palm of her hand and she read the new text that had popped up on the screen after she had clicked one of the links that had showed up.

 

Her eyes skimmed through the text on the screen. In her peripheral vision she could catch something moving at the end of the desk, making her eyes move from the screen to the thing her eyes had caught.

 

Her eyes widened upon the thing she discovered. She felt her skin crawl upon seeing it and she instantly pushed herself away from the desk, her heart starting to beat in a faster pace upon seeing the thing moving again.

 

“Jessica!” Taeyeon shouted and jumped up from her seat by the desk and run towards the door of her bedroom.

 

 

---

 

 

A displeased frown was on Taeyeon’s lips upon seeing the scenario going on at her desk. Jessica was sitting at the chair, a wide grin on her lips, and her eyes focused on the glass that was upside down on top of the desk.

 

Taeyeon let her eyes go from the woman on the chair to the eight legged thing that was being kept under the glass. She shivered when she saw it move and she turned her gaze away from it, back to Jessica that continued to watch it in amazement like it was the first time for the woman to see a living being like that.

 

Taeyeon shook her head, thinking back to how she had gotten Jessica to the bedroom to get rid of the eight legged insect from her desk, instead she ended up with the woman watching it in amazement, and no sign of her killing it was near. It looked like Jessica was going to keep it there.

 

A sigh left Taeyeon lips. She frowned as she looked at Jessica. She felt like she had better things to do than watch the woman having fun with the intruder on her desk.   

 

“Just kill it already!” Taeyeon shouted from her spot on the bed in the room.

 

“No!” Jessica shouted back and turned to look at her. Jessica’s expression looked like if Taeyeon had just insulted her. She blinked a bit surprised upon Jessica’s reaction and watched as Jessica turned back to the insect on the table.

 

“I’m not going to kill it.” Jessica added and tapped the top of the glass, making the captive move around.

 

“Why not? I don’t want it on my desk, I want it gone.” Taeyeon said.

 

Jessica didn’t say anything. The woman continued to look at the glass in silence. Taeyeon waited for Jessica to say something. And it took seconds of silence from the other woman until Jessica finally opened again.  

 

“If it had been a mouse would you have told me to kill it then?” Jessica asked without looking at the woman on the bed.  

 

Taeyeon blinked upon the question she had been asked. Her shoulders slump when she realized what her answer was, and she figured out that Jessica also knew what she was going to answer, but nevertheless, she still gave the woman the answer she was expecting.

 

“No…” Taeyeon said and let her eyes lower to the sheets of the bed.

 

“See, why do things that have a cute appearance get to live while things that don’t have get to be killed? It’s unfair. Just because spiders have eight legs and thousands eyes they shouldn’t be killed, it’s not their fault they wasn’t born with fur and two cute looking eyes.”  

 

Taeyeon fell silent, completely unable to say anything against the other woman. She looked up at the other woman and watched as Jessica kept her focus on the eight legged insect. She started feeling a bit guilty for telling her to kill the spider now; Jessica after all had a point.

 

“Whenever people see an insect their first instinct is to kill it. Why? Is it because it’s small? Is it because the insect looks different from other living things? Is it because most people find them creepy and disgusting? Do you think it would have been considered okay if we had killed a person because we found the person creepy and disgusting?” Jessica asked and looked up at Taeyeon.

 

Their gazes met. Taeyeon didn’t reply, and she didn’t have to because Jessica already knew her answer to the last question. The brunette woman smiled and she turned back to the spider on the desk.

 

“It’s discriminating.” Jessica mumbled.

 

Taeyeon felt a tug in her heart when she heard the sad tone in Jessica’s voice. She continued to look at the woman who was staring at the spider with sorrow filled eyes. She now regretted all those times she had gotten spiders killed, or any insects at all for that matter.

 

“I’m sorry.” Taeyeon apologized.

 

“I’m not the one that needs an apology.” Jessica said and turned back to the woman on the bed. “I’m not the one you want killed.”

 

Taeyeon felt the guilt eat her up as she watched Jessica turn back to the spider. She knew what Jessica meant, and she knew what she should do.

 

With a slow pace she got up from her seat on the bed, and with heavy steps she made her way towards the desk where Jessica was sitting. Her eyes fell on the spider who was under the glass that Jessica had captured it, she made a grimace, but controlled her face before the woman next to her could see it. A sigh left her lips and she crouched down a bit to come in better level with the spider.

 

“I’m sorry Mr. Spider. I don’t want you to die. But I don’t want to have you on my desk either.” Taeyeon said. She glanced at Jessica who looked expectantly at her, another sigh left her lips and she looked back at the spider. “I promise we’ll get you outside…without killing you. So don’t be scared.” Taeyeon added.

 

When she looked back at Jessica she saw the woman had a pleased grin on her face. She too could muster up a small smile now and picked up a piece of paper from her desk and put it under the glass where the spider was. When the spider was on top of the paper, she quickly spun it around, making the spider drop down to the bottom of the glass making it be kept inside of it by her keeping the paper on top of it.

 

“Let’s get him outside.” Taeyeon said and looked at Jessica.

 

Jessica nodded pleased and stood up from her seat. She put an arm around Taeyeon’s shoulders, leaned in and planted a kiss on the other woman’s cheek and smiled when she leaned back to admire Taeyeon’s now red flushed cheeks.

 

“I knew you would understand.” Jessica said.

 

A smile appeared on Taeyeon’s lips and she turned to Jessica as well. The two women’s gazes met and they stared at each other for a few seconds.

 

“It’s because I love you.” Taeyeon said.

 

A wide grin formed on Jessica’s lips, making Taeyeon’s smile also widen.

 

“I love you too. Let’s get the spider out.” Jessica said and planed another kiss on the woman’s cheek before she began leading them out of the room, and down the stairs to go outside with the eight legged insect.