Lesson 8: The Two Travellers

A Lesson on Love in the Woods

Once out of the office, the Biology teacher was swarmed by a bunch of anxious students, amongst which included Woohyun as well as his band of brothers.

“Ms Park! Please tell me you’re not leaving. Please, please, please reconsider!” Sungyeol begged with a desperate look on his face and with his palms clapped together.

The rest vocalised their wishes for the biology teacher to stay as well. The boys tugged childishly at the hem of her clothes and made boyish promises to the teacher to be better. Hyomin was half-amused but felt truly heartened at the same time. A smile was brought into her face as she kept her intentions of staying longer, she was rather enjoying the boys’ antics. The biology teacher only ceased holding the truth when her eyes were met with Woohyun’s. Hyomin felt goose pimples raise on her arms.

Despite trying to appear calm, the sadness in Woohyun’s eyes were evident. Besides sadness, the teacher could sense that there was a tinge of frustration in his emotions. “You aren’t really going to leave, are you? You aren’t that irresponsible, are you?” The teacher was mildly taken aback when the boy finally spoke. The boy had definitely become too attached to her and she mentally cursed herself for that. The teacher playfully punched the boy’s arms before letting out a chuckle hoping it would relieve the tension in the air. “Nam Woohyun, how dare you speak to a teacher like that.”

The student did not flinch or whatsoever from the teacher’s punch but merely implored deeper into her dark brown orbs. “You really are leaving, aren’t you?” The boy accused.

The teacher flinched slightly. “Yes, I am,” the unmistakable seriousness in her tone caused whines to erupt from the boys.

Woohyun looked away, apparently trying to hold back his tears or perhaps anger, the teacher could not really tell. Hyomin decided not to play with the boys feelings any longer.

“For three months,” the teacher revealed teasingly as she held up three fingers.

Whines died down and were replaced with taut expressions of surprise. The look of disbelief as well as plain relief on Woohyun’s face was so priceless that the teacher wished she had taken a picture of it and have it framed up.

“W-What? Three months?” They managed to choke out.

Hyomin nodded, a mischievous smile plastered on her face. “Well… you see, your principal has most generously given me a three-month break.” The girl sighed before continuing, “I know it is a long break but-”

The boys erupted into cheers before the teacher could finish her sentence. “Woohoo! No biology lessons for three months!”

The Biology teacher almost had the impulse to hit all of them on their heads upon their reaction. “You boys… You guys were not sincerely sad when I said I was going to leave, were you?” The teacher asked sceptically.

Sungyeol stuck out his tongue before he explained, “awh… Ms Angel Park, you know we love you the best. We would have reacted the same way with other subjects, no, no, our elation would be better pronounced if it were the other subjects.”

“Especially if it was Chemistry,” Hoya playfully added.

“Sorry to burst your bubbles boys, but your dear principal has already made sure that you guys would have a replacement teacher, one who would be as good as I am,” The teacher emphasised teasingly.

“Nooooo!” The boys howled comically and made exaggerated faces.

“But still… we are glad that our Ms Angel Park isn’t leaving.” Sungjong hugged the teacher abruptly and was swatted viciously by others. They all took turns to show their affection to the teacher.

“Boys, boys, enough. You guys are seriously keen on getting me called up in the principal’s office once more aren’t you?” The teacher tried to evade every single affectionate gestures thrown at her.

The seven silly boys surrounded and grinned before her. “Of course not, we just want to show our appreciation towards you and extinguish any thoughts that might make you leave.” Woohyun reasoned, his voice sincere.  

“I am going to miss you boys…” The teacher sighed.

“We are going to too…” The boys sighed in tandem.

From a distance, the couple who had been listening and observing the scene before them had identical mirthful smile on their faces. They had decided not to join in the students’ display of affections for their friend. It is better this way. The both of them thought. After all, they were the cause of all this trouble.

“Kai, do you think she will ever forgive me?” The Chemist asked her boyfriend worriedly.

“She will, she is our friend after all. Give her some time,” Kai squeezed her hand tightly as he spoke.

“I really hope so. Three months… I kinda miss her already.” Jiyeon’s heartfelt words escaped before she realised it. The Chemistry teacher was beginning to regret her actions.

Sharing the same sentiments, her boyfriend could only nod in agreement and sighed. I am going to miss you too, Hyomin.

**

“Congratulations on your marriage Mr Lu.”

The guests congratulated him one after another. The groom could only hide his sorrows behind his mask and accept all of the congratulatory messages with a feigned smile.

The wedding was elaborately planned and its venue was luxurious. A grand ballroom with nearly a thousand seats available. Since the wedding was carried out in the western style, the groom, Luhan and his bride, Chorong had to walk down the aisle. The guests clapped in the most civilised manner as they made their way through. Wedding bells were played during the procession.

Amongst the guests seated were his relatives, several corporate partners and very few friends.

The wedding ceremony proceeded and during the toasting ceremony, the guests, relatives and business-partners alike stood up to bellow the loudest toast they could ever muster. Luhan felt giddy at the sight of their enthusiasm. A weak smile found its way into his face when he looked at his bride, his cousin, and his wife, Chorong. Luhan retched and thought he could have really emptied out the contents of his stomach if it weren’t for… a dream.

Luhan woke up with a start from his nightmare. A cold sheen of sweat had covered his forehead and the traumatised “groom” kept slapping his cheeks to get the image out of his mind.

“No, no, no. It’s only a dream.” The man tried to calm himself down. “It would never, ever happen,” the man made slashing motions with his arm in the air as he tried to convince himself.  

He almost jumped when the cell phone by his bedside table rang and he hesitated picking it up. Who would call at such a timing? The CEO craned his neck to look at his caller id. His eyes rolled instinctively. He snatched the phone from the bedside table impatiently and was nonetheless greeted in the crudest manner.

“Hyung! Hyung! You awake?! Save me!” The boy whispered desperately into the receiver.

Still groggy and annoyed from suddenly awaking, the CEO wished he had the ability to cause his cousin to magically vanish. That was of course, a spur of a moment thought. “What?” Luhan questioned, his annoyance evident.

“I-I am being pursued by a gang.” Sehun’s voice did not sound like he was joking but still Luhan was not going to take any chances at being fooled.

“How did it happen?” Luhan questioned further, his voice ice cold.

“Tried to play hero and saved a girl. Turns out that the guy I saved her from was her boyfriend and is part of some mob.” As if to provide evidence to the boy’s claims, Luhan heard menacing shouts and calls over the phone. “Hurry!!” His cousin’s voice was shaking with terror.

Luhan got up hastily from his bed but still made time to roll his eyes. He was not lying. Damn… I wished he was though. The CEO groaned inwardly once more before he flew out of his apartment. I am so glad I would be leaving for Malaysia in a few days’ time, with or without you, gallant prince.

 

**

The teacher who had been given a three-month long break was sprawled on her sofa. Her head propped up on a hand as she flipped through the television channels with another. There was not anything that interests her. The girl tossed the remote control behind her and flipped over with a yawn, her back incidentally pushing a random button on the controller.

The screen blared a colourful advert about a trip to Malaysia. That caught the Hyomin’s attention momentarily. Just then, her cell phone rang. The girl puffed up her cheeks upon checking her caller id. It was from someone whom she dreaded confronting.

Hyomin took time to ready herself before answering.

“Hey,” the husky voice spoke.

“U-Uh… yea?” The girl asked, unsure of what to expect.

“How are you?” The voice asked again.

Hyomin’s eyes scanned over her living room. It was littered with a few days’ worth of instant noodles and snacks. How am I? Still heartbroken, dying of boredom and basking in an unhealthy lifestyle.

“F-Fine,” Hyomin managed to keep her thoughts to herself.

She heard the other person on the other line chuckling. How dare he chuckle at a time like this.

“You still at lying you know?” He told her straightforwardly and continued chuckling.

“Okay, since you know I am lying, what good will it do you to expose me of my lies?” Hyomin was momentarily shocked that those words actually came out from .

Hyomin could imagine Kai’s surprised look on the other end of the line and indeed, there was a meaningful pause between them.

“Guess you are not in the mood for a catch up session over the phone, we should meet up soon,” Kai offered.

“By we… do you mean Jiyeon, you and I?” The girl asked momentarily stunned by the offer.

“Yes. How about tomorrow?” He later suggested.

The Biology teacher almost choked at the sudden notice. “S-So soon?” She blurted out. Hyomin had actually no intentions of meeting them, in fact, she was very reluctant to do so. Her mind whirred to come up with an excuse but what reasons can a teacher who has been given a three month break and is without other relationship commitments come up with. None.

“We can just talk over lunch or dinner if you would prefer. Just like how we used to do it.” Those words from Kai sounded so superficial to the girl right at that moment.

Just like how we used to do it. That would not be possible. It is hard to go back to the past.  Hyomin shut her eyes as she pondered over the suggestion, not exactly, she already had her answer. The advertisement on the television screen came in at the opportune time. 

“I am sorry Kai, but I am leaving for another country tomorrow,” the girl spoke resolutely.

 

**

 

A trip decided on impulse was never meant to be smooth sailing, especially not when one was travelling alone, and the biology teacher had failed to foresee that. 

“S-Sorry?” The girl had asked the customs officer what was required of her for the umpteenth time but the unhelpful officer was not making things any easier for her.

Luhan had checked his watch for what he believed to be the twentieth time since the past thirty minutes yet the queue had barely moved. The CEO had been warned before of the fact that the customs’ officers of the host country may not be as efficient but he could not believe that the queue could be held up for so long. The man poked his head out of from the line in annoyance and nonetheless found a girl having communication problems with the officer. He huffed out an impatient sigh before making his way through the crowd and towards the communicating pair, or the pair who was trying to communicate.

“May I know what the problem is?” Luhan interjected irritably, not giving a care about the others.

Hyomin gasped as the stranger came forth. The teacher was awed but at the same time intimidated by this stranger who could speak English so fluently and moved warily away from him.

“She cannot understand me, I just want her to flip to the latest page of the passport for me to check,” the custom’s officer exclaimed, almost as if he was trying to proclaim innocence.

“Miss,” Luhan started off in an annoyed tone but paused immediately when his eyes were met with that of Hyomin’s round, scared-looking ones. ‘Pretty’ was the word that instantly came to his mind.

“Yes?” The girl asked in English yet her Korean accent was heavy besides, the green Korean passport she was holding was hard to miss.

She is a fellow Korean! Luhan had no idea why he was so excited in learning that the stranger before him was his fellow countrymen, especially since she was the cause of delay and Luhan hates it when people take up too much of his precious time. The look of bliss on his face could not be hidden, fortunately the CEO discovered that he must have looked ridiculous. After clearing his throat and regaining his composure, Luhan started again, in fluent Korean this time. “He wants you to flip to the page where it was last stamped.”

The girl’s face lit up in an instant and she let out adorable noises. Cute. Luhan thought as she hastily flipped to the said page in the passport and handed the book excitedly to the custom’s officer. Cute multiplied by two.

The custom’s officer muttered something which sounded like “dumb girl” under his breath and that earned a harsh glare from Luhan. The CEO had no idea why he felt offended even though the uniformed man was not referring to himself. It was definitely a first that he felt for somebody but he had to agree that the girl really seemed to be a muddle-head. A crease then formed in between the man’s brows. I dislike people who is a muddle-head as she is, absolutely dislikes. The man convinced himself.

Yet, a lazy half-smile, the very same one that usually cause girls to swoon over him, still crept into his beautiful face as the girl thanked him profusely. So adorable. The man thought as a small shy smile graced her face and she bowed politely.

“Thank you,” the fellow Korean mouthed to him once more before disappearing out of sight. Quite adorable. He corrected but nonetheless felt his heart warmed up by the sight of the girl and a rare genuine smile was worn on his face. His attention fluttered back when the customs officer whom he had offended earlier made a gesture that suggested for the CEO to join the end of the queue.

The man had no clue that despite having gone out of his way to help a fellow countrymen in need, the guards had not allowed him to join back where he was standing in the queue. He gawped when he realised that the queue had grown by so much.

“I won’t forgive you guys for this,” the man swore as he stomped off to the end of the line.

Doesn’t pays to be kind. 

 

**

Author's Note:

Hahahaha they've finally met each other. Woots. Even though it isn't in the woods. *coughs* soon... *coughs*

Gosh, I had so much fun writing the wedding scene :D It's like the ones in typical korean dramas but less well-elaborated hahaha. Oh right, if you guys spot any wrongs in the wedding procedure please do do do notify me. I tried to google as much and dig up scenes from my memory. But there may still be errors. I will be darn grateful if anyone points out my mistakes :D

CEO Luhan is really having a conflict of emotions there with his arrogance and infatuation with Hyomin at the same time :D Well this entire chapter is sooooo cliche but soooo fun to write :D 

Have you guys noticed the new poster by Lynnda from We Got Fired? Have you, have you? Pretty isn't it? *slaps myself* sorry haha just feeling high these couple of days :D 

Okay, now comes the usual. Thank you for reading, commenting and subscribing to this fic :D Have a goodday!!