Lesson 4: Marks Matters

A Lesson on Love in the Woods

Lesson of the day: “People care for you, as long as you are willing to care for yourself.”

“Well… Woohyun this is the best we can do, at least you don’t have to worry about your dad’s medical bills any longer." The female teacher handed the cheque over to the boy.

The teacher had not only helped him to apply for financial aid but had also urged students in the school to donate to contribute to the exorbitant medical expenses and they all did so generously. Woohyun’s hands trembled as he received the cheque from the teacher, tears on the verge of betraying him.

“A lot of people care for you. As long as you are willing to care for yourself.” Hyomin placed a hand firmly on the emotional teenager’s shoulder.

“Yeap! People like us!” Six boys, all of which were Woohyun’s best friends sprang up abruptly from behind the teacher-student pair.

Hyomin almost lost her balance from the shock fortunately was held steady by Woohyun.

Stifled giggles escaped from the boys as the teacher made her way out of the situation on a pretence to allow the boys to savour their ‘alone time’ together but was in fact to hide her embarrassment from them.

No sooner than a few steps the biologist was joined by two of her colleagues. Jiyeon and Kai had been standing afar watching the scene before them.

Jiyeon shook her head in contempt. “I am seriously trying so hard not to leak out tears of joy at this scene before me.”

Kai did not bother concealing his laughter and laughed out loudly, earning a punch from Hyomin.

“Tsk, can you not be so sarcastic?” Hyomin pouted at the Chemist.

Jiyeon shrugged. “Can’t help it.”

It was then when Woohyun suddenly called out to the trio. “Thank you Ms Park, Mr Kim and Ms Dino Park! In order of preference!!” It was followed by fits of uncontrollably laughter from the teenagers.

Jiyeon’s face turned crimson with rage. “Dino Park?!” She had not intended herself to repeat her own nickname so audibly and quickly slapped a palm over her own mouth. Her attention then shifted to both Kai and Hyomin who looked stunned beyond words.

Kai threw up both arms and shook his head, jabbing a finger to Hyomin’s direction, the culprit.

“Park Hyomin! Shy girl!” The agitated Chemist began giving chase to the Biologist who tried to sneak away – like how they always did when they were in high school – leaving Kai dumbfounded on the same spot.

“I can’t believe you actually told him that I like him!” Jiyeon shouted, running after her giggling friend.

“It was accidental! Kai played a part in this too!” Hyomin sabotaged the innocent Kai who took to his heels by reflex.

“Wait! What the hell! When did I ever do such things!” Kai tried explaining to the enraged girl but to no avail.

“Dino! Kai is involved in this too!”

“I hate you!” Jiyeon bellowed and began charging at the male teacher – which by pure reflex, ran for his own skin again.

It was an amusing scene for the students to watch since it was rare for teachers to shed their sever and strict front to reveal what really lies beneath – human. Teachers are human as well.

It was not until when the Vice Principal of Seuta sauntered past that the three came to an abrupt halt and regained their composure.

“I hate the both of you.” Jiyeon cursed under her breath but could not do anything more.

**

“Luhan! Was it true that you went out with Chorong yesterday? On a dinner date at that?!” The overly-anxious Aunt of Luhan pressed in on him again.

Luhan could not help but roll his eyes. “Yes, very reluctantly.” My evening would have been better spent on doing a basketful of laundry.

A chime-like giggled from the woman rang through the office. “I know, I know, you’re working hard. For the sake of this company, for the sake of our family.”

Luhan’s eyes widened upon hearing it. “No, no Aunt! It isn’t what you think it is.” I did it for money and myself actually.

The regal lady arched her brow. “I’m going to take things as I’ve assumed it. Anyway, your Second Uncle has finally gave his approval for the ongoing project in Malaysia.”

BoA then lowered her voice. “You’d better thank Chorong for that.”

Luhan groaned and smacked a palm on his forehead. “I really hate this.” Well, well, like as if it would matter.

BoA wore a smug look on her face before getting up to leave. “Nobody needs you to like it.”

There, I was right.

**

Jiyeon cleared multiple times before entering the class of 3-1, one of the graduating classes of Seuta High and the best. The murmurings in the classroom dissipated upon her entrance but Jiyeon could still make out hushed comments between the students. ‘I can’t believe Ms Park was called Dino Park once.’

Jiyeon tried to keep her face straight as she addressed the class.

“You people just had your performance assessment and I am glad to inform this class that you have once again, emerge as the top for Chemistry.”

A bout of cheers went up in the classroom but quickly simmered down when the performance bar chart was projected on the screen. The students focused all their attention on the screen, taking note of their class average scores and expected scores as well as comparing their performance with the other classes.

It always pleases Jiyeon to witness the enthusiasm of her students to want to strive for the better.

“As usual, the scripts are arranged according to the marks you’ve gotten.”

Most of the students’ faces shone with anticipation of having their name read out first while some of the usual top-scorers remained nonchalant.

In a large class of thirty, it is always depressing if one is ranked last, and the one was Bomi.

The female student merely stood up and strode towards the teacher when her name was called, finally. She did not do so much as to even look at her marks when she had received the papers. After all, in the cruel system of ranking, last is last no matter how much one has gotten. Bomi knew very well, for she had been consistently ranked bottom ever since she entered this competitive class.

**

“That’s a very cruel way to spur students to work harder,” Hyomin chastised her friend.

“Oh. But it works.” Jiyeon shrugged her shoulders smugly.

Kai nodded and agreed as well. “I don’t see anything wrong with ranking students either. They should be used to it since they will been assessed and ranked throughout their lifetime. Even we aren’t spared either.”

Hyomin groaned at the thought of that. “Yea… even we get ranked.”

“Oh right, Hyomin I heard that you are part of the organising committee for the upcoming Seuta Sports Festival right?” Jiyeon’s eyes sparkled with excitement at the thought of it.

Hyomin nodded her head lethargically. “Yea, part of my assessment… Since I’m not in charge of any clubs.”

“It’s too bad you didn’t want to be involved with the Strings Club when Mr Lee approached you. It is after all, the most prestigious and recognised Club in our school.” Jiyeon sighed.

“I just want to focus on teaching my students. I am not good at handling multiple tasks.”

“Sure, sure. Who was the one who’s in Dance Club, Drama Club and Strings at the same time when she was in High School,” Jiyeon retorted.

“T-That was because you guys forced me take them up. Kai was in Dance, you were in Drama and I wanted Strings so badly,” Hyomin reasoned.

“You and your low level of self-confidence.” Jiyeon sighed once more.

**

The student hugged her legs to her chest and sobbed silently. It wouldn’t make a difference even if she had made any noise. Nobody would hear her, for they were too engrossed in each of their entertainments; her parents were occupied with work overseas, her siblings had their own studies to tend to.

She looked sadly at the test papers sprawled before her. They were all marked with pretty average marks, by school standards but not at all in her class. She was ranked last, last out of all thirty students.

Bomi thought of what her parents would say to her when they looked at her report book. Would they say anything at all? Would they even bother to glance at her dissatisfying grades? Would they want to acknowledge her results? They wouldn’t and she knew it.

The teen wiped her tear-stained face and washed it thoroughly, an attempt to wipe away any evidence that she had ever cried. Alas, the reflection in the mirror satisfied her.

She settled herself down before her dressing table. A Montblanc pen in hand, the same model as her father’s. With a practised flick of wrist, she produced the exact same writing as her father on the to-be-signed space, all almost effortlessly. After she was done, she held out the thin piece of paper under the light to be scrutinised. Perfect imitation. It was almost exactly like her. An imitation of her siblings, only with far-from-perfect grades.

The girl tried suppressing another sob, sweeping the report book off her table and sank into her covers. She would not be using a goodnight’s rest, not tonight.

 

 

 

 

-------------------

Author's Note: 

Hello peeps, back with another update yo!

I didn't take too long this time right? hahaha anyway it was pre-written ._.

I see the comments are getting lesser >< Sighs... it's okay though as long as there are still people who comments. It's okay.... *consoles myself*

Hahaha kidding guys, I know you are busy as well.

Oh right! Thought it would be good to let you guys know that the couple moments will begin to pick up after chapter 6 which is the one I am writing now. Just a heads up.

Oooh and besides romance, I will insert student's problems every now and then and mind you people, some of these are real life cases ><

I apologise if anyone feels offended by it but I just thought a fiction would be more meaningful like that, oh well i am not a self-proclaimed activist but just hoped that anyone who has been in the same circumstances wouldn't feel too alone. 

Hope you guys have enjoyed reading this chapter as well as the rest of the chapters and do keep the comments coming in, I appreciate them a lot!