Lesson 5: Rumours, Pressures

A Lesson on Love in the Woods

“Ms Park, why did I not get the mark for this question? It is almost the replica of the answer key,” The student complained.

Since Mid-Year Examinations were nearing, the Biology teacher, like the others, had been dedicating more and more time for private consultations.

The teacher compared the student’s given answer to that of the marking scheme with her eyes narrowed and a finger to guide her. “Ah hah! There, Sungjong, you missed out the keyword, that is why you did not get it. And here.” The teacher slid her index finger down two more paragraphs of near-illegible writing. “Your answer here overlaps with part (a) but we have already awarded you once, so you will not be credited for this answer in part (b).”

Sungjong’s mouth fell open upon realisation, snatching the answer key and staring at it in disbelief. “I don’t believe this. It costs me two marks for the test.”

Hyomin grinned. “Technically you’ve lost four marks. Look here.” Once again, the teacher slid her fingers over a few lines of writing and tapped her fingers on it. “Because of that one key word, which is by the way, the key point, your overall coherence for the rest of your answer is lost. You could have gotten two more marks over here.”

“Oh my god, what?! Seriously? Just because of one word?” Sungjong screeched in disbelief and tugged at a fistful of his own hair.

Hyomin laughed. “Well, well. It’s okay Sungjong, better to realise it now than during major exams.”

Sungjong then threw out his bottom lip and was about to fake a wail when his friend smacked the back of his head.

“What?!” Sungjong threw back his head to face his assailant.

“Hey, it’s my turn for consultation now.” Woohyun shoved his lightweight friend aside to the edge of the bench.

“What?! It’s time already?! B-But I’ve still got a few questions,” Sungjong complained.

Woohyun’s eyes narrowed to slits. “You sure you’ve got more questions or are you trying to steal time from me to be with my favourite Park.”

Hyomin was amused at the teen’s childish exchange until…

Sungjong stuck out a tongue at his friend. “We all know Ms Park belongs to Mr Kim.”

Hyomin’s eyes doubled in size but even before she got to say anything, Woohyun had engaged himself in an argument with his friend.

“So what? As long as Mr Kim doesn’t put a ring on her, I still stand a chance!” Woohyun protested.

Absurd! How did these corrupt thoughts even get to these children’s minds? “Hello! Shouldn’t I be aware of what is going on since I am the said person involved?” The teacher voiced out.

Sungjong and Woohyun paused momentarily and stared innocently back at Hyomin.

“Isn’t Mr Kim your boyfriend or lover?” Sungjong sounded like as if he was stating the obvious instead of asking a question.

“What?!” Hyomin shrieked, her face was flushed bright pink. “No...” Not yet.

Disappointment was shown all over Sungjong’s face while his friend showed the opposite. Woohyun threw back his head and roared with laughter, banging his fist so heavily on the table before him. “Good! Good!”

Sungjong pinched his friend’s arms upon noticing the teacher’s troubled expression. “Don’t gloat over it! I know they will become a couple soon.”

Thanks for having such faith in me.

The later part of the private consultations was an utter disaster as the boys continued buzzing around the same topic. It was then that the Biologist understood that many similar rumours had been circulating in the campus. About Kai and I.

**

“That shy girl is undoubtedly going to wear herself out if she continues to work like this,” Jiyeon complained as she poked the rocks in her coffee with her straw.

Kai took a small sip of coffee before replying. “Yes, she is.” The way she always does. A small smile tugged at the corner of his lips at the thought of it.

“I wonder when she is going to ever learn. Students need to study independently, it is the quality of their studying that matters, not the quantity of time she spends on them,” Jiyeon lamented.

“Well… that is sort of true.” Kai nodded thoughtfully.

Jiyeon pouted. Though Kai was always a man with few words, he was almost always chattier when the three were together. Now that Jiyeon realised, Kai was almost always more vocal whenever Hyomin was around, or was she overthinking.

“Hey, I am taking part in the teacher’s race. Are you?” Jiyeon nudged the Physicist.

Kai raised a brow and looked at Jiyeon sceptically. “Are you doing this to support Hyomin? You don’t have to you know? Remember you’ve got a torn ligament in your right knee?”

Jiyeon broke out into a wide grin unknowingly. He cares for me. “I can manage it. It happened years ago.”

“But it is a serious one. I don’t want to have to piggyback you back home like when I did that time. You weigh more than a wild boar,” Kai teased the girl.

Jiyeon blushed, clearing twice to hide her embarrassment. “Ouh, so it is true that you’ve ever trained in mountains and carried wild boars before. That explains your social awkwardness.”

Kai was taking another sip from his cup but almost choked on his coffee upon the insults from the girl. “What social awkwardness? When did I ever?!”

Jiyeon propped her head on one hand and sighed pitiably. “Care to explain how you’ve handled love confessions from other girls and your lack of love relationship?”

Kai’s eyes bulged at Jiyeon’s brutal onslaught. “I-I, those that have confessed are students. I will absolutely, never accept a teacher-student love relationship.” Kai slashed his arm horizontally in the air, getting worked up at the thought of it.

Jiyeon smirked. “So if they weren’t students, you’ll accept them?”

Kai's eloquence has never been so challenged up till this day. “I-I, u-um… I guess so?”

We shall see. Jiyeon’s lopsided smile grew even eviler and dangerous. “And what about the lack of love relationship?”

“That is because I am always with you!” Kai did not mean for it to sound that way. He had meant ‘you guys’ instead but in a fit of agitation, his mind did not work as efficiently and words did not come out as intended.

Me?! Elation and excitement was shown all over Jiyeon’s face and her heart pounded wildly in her chest.

“Actually, I… um…” Kai stuttered and stammered but could not seem to deliver his thoughts.

Jiyeon waited expectantly for some sort of confession from the awkward Physicist.

“Hey, sorry guys, I am late.”

Hyomin’s arrival had caused their talk to come to an abrupt end.

Jiyeon sagged back into her chair, somewhat disappointed. While, Kai, was sipping on his already empty cup nervously. The Physicist was partially glad that he did not need to explain any further. Jiyeon was right about him being awkward when it comes to love relationship. Say one thing that Kai is almost clueless about, say that he does not understand nor realise what love is.

Hyomin peered into the two’s faces and wiggled her brows. “Something’s up. I can smell it from you two. Tell me, tell me what it is.”

“N-Nothing.” Jiyeon blushed.

“Don’t lie!” Hyomin’s gasped as she threw a finger up in the air. “U-Uh I think I know.” She then looked worriedly at Kai. “If it is about the rumours that the students are spreading, I will make sure they stop.”

Both Jiyeon and Kai focused their attention on the Biologist. “Rumours?”

“A-About… Kai and I…” Hyomin d for words, “dating.”

The coffee cup in Kai’s hands tumbled over the table and Jiyeon almost fell off her chair.

What?!

“Oh… it’s nothing.” Hyomin flapped her hand in the air, an attempt to dispel their shock as well as to mask her nervousness.

Kai gulped as he focused his attention on Hyomin. “R-Really? I-I mean… there’re rumours about us?”

Hyomin nodded shyly, almost apologetically.

Kai then brushed him fingers through his hair airily. “That is what happens when you guys hang out with an attractive bachelor.” Seriously? Kai had hoped that his attempt at nonchalance would suffice to dispel the awkwardness amongst the three of them.

“Ha ha. Very funny, then all the more you should find a girlfriend for yourself.” Those words came out from Jiyeon’s mouth so quickly, the girl mentally cursed herself.

“U-Uh, yea… maybe I should… if the next one that confesses to me isn’t a lunatic or a desperate student.” Kai spoke thoughtlessly, a rare moment.

At that instant, both girls converged their attention onto the Physicist. Kai gulped nervously and tried to divert both their attentions to another uninteresting topic, but was met with little success.

 

 

--------------------

Author's Note:

HeHeHe The triangle relationship amongst the three cannot be more obvious in this chapter. 

That means that a couple is to be formed soon... *hinthint* hahaha...

Luhan did not appear in this chapter and for good reasons.... somehow... you'll see why. The bachelor has too many things on hand :D

Just kidding!

Oh right. In case if anyone was wondering what happened to Bomi which I reckon nobody will... She will be brought up only much later in the story.

Many of the student's problems accumulate only time and are usually solved at a much later time so in a way I am trying to mimick it ><

Hope you guys have had fun reading this :D

Once again, thank you to all subscribers and commenters! 

Cheerios!