Lesson 1: The Three Musketeers and the Lone Bachelor

A Lesson on Love in the Woods

The sharp clanking of heels against the marbled floor of Seoul Seuta High grabbed the attention of nearly all conscious being in the hall way. Park Jiyeon, despite her youth, is a reputable and accomplished female educator in one of South Korea's elite school. Her charming entrance always managed to turn heads from every direction as well as command discipline in her students.

"Good morning Ms Park." A pair of girls greeted the Chemistry teacher shyly and was responded with a beautiful eye smile.

"Morning Chorong and friend." Jiyeon continued in her way until something came across her mind and she spun back to address the girl. "Right, Chorong, now it reminds me that you're placed second in the entire level. Good job, work harder and strive to displace the number one from his or her spot." 

The student's face turned scarlet upon receiving praises and comments. She had wanted so badly to squeal out loud but managed to restrain it as she answered the teacher with a nod. 

Jiyeon smiled to the girl and then strode away.


"Mr Kim, c-can you please accept these chocolates? I-I made them myself." A girl spoke meekly as she handed out a beautifully wrapped box to the teacher. 

"U-Uh..." Was all Kim Jongin, otherwise known as Kai amongst his friends managed to reply. 

Kai was dubbed as the most charismatic teacher of the century. However his charisma was not what exactly earned his position as the acting head of department of Physics, rather, it was his teaching capabilities. Despite his reputation for being able to handle students in class handsomely, he is always at a loss when it comes to confessions by students - which by the way, comes by very often. 

The acting head of department scratched the back of his head as he thought of a counter. "Uh, Eunji ah, according to Newton's third law, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction but you do know that it is impossible for me to make chocolates right? So I am sorry but I cannot accept this. You are going to be late for classes if you don't hurry along. See you later." And that was how the Physics teacher waved her off.

Embarrassed by the rejection, the student made her way out of the staffroom in silence as tears threatened to fall. 

Kai let out a relieved but yet guilty sigh as he leaned back into his chair. This is the third one this week. 

The young acting Head of Department then shook his head in an attempt to clear his mind and went back to marking a stack of scripts. 


"Good morning Ms Park, your hair is so beautifully done today." The student danced around the teacher as she made her way to the classroom.

The teacher blushed slightly as she roused her fingers through her wavy, chestnut brown hair that fell past her shoulders. "Thank you Woohyun, but you are still getting a B for that presentation."

"Awh man!" The student by the name of Woohyun slapped a palm on his forehead eliciting a giggle from the teacher.

"Ms Park, you've got to stop hanging out with the other Ms Park. You're becoming stricter day by day and it hurts my feelings." The teenager teased.

Hyomin chuckled light-heartedly then cleared once, remembering her responsibilities as a teacher. "That is very rude of you Mr Nam. I will let it pass however, since I'm feeling gracious today. A B Minus is all you will get."

The teenage boy stuck out his tongue playfully at his homeroom teacher with no fear of reprisals. After all, Park Hyomin is known for her lenient attitude as well as fun-loving nature amongst her students. The twenty-five year old's dream has always been to become a teacher, especially one who can connect well with her students. Despite her young age, she is already homeroom teacher to one of the better classes in the elite school. Her achievements however, pales in comparison to her two other long time best friends, Jiyeon and Kai who have as well chosen their career in the very same school they've graduated from. 

**

"You can't be serious, Kai. You actually said that to a student?! What Newton's third law... What action what reaction?" Jiyeon stared incredulously at the Physics educator. 

Kai took a sip from his coffee cup before nodding plainly. "Well... I couldn't think of a better way to reject her offer..."

Jiyeon threw back her head as she laughed, so did Hyomin.

Hyomin clicked her tongue before speaking, "that was brutal, Kai. Can't you just reject her honestly?"

Kai was utterly confused by the statement. "How is that being brutal? Isn't rejecting her honestly even more brutal."

Jiyeon and Hyomin looked at each other before breaking out into peals of laughter. 

Hyomin then started, "gosh, you are so dense. Rejecting girls directly gives them a glimmer of hope, a chance to try again using another method. But your way of rejection is so alien."

Jiyeon nodded along with her girl friend.

"No, I still don't get it." Kai shook his head bitterly expressing his confusion.

"Boys..." Hyomin sighed. That is why you still don't know I have feelings for you, Kai.

Jiyeon agreed. No wonder you haven't confessed to me yet, Kai.


The three teachers spent their evening in their favourite cafe sipping away beverages as well as discussing about their work. The three of them had been this way since nearly a decade ago when they met in middle school. It was a rare and precious friendship formed between the trio.

*12 years ago*


"I'm sorry Kai, but we have already got enough people in our group. Why don't you find someone else?" 

Kai nodded and when he turned away from them or was rather turned away by them, he could hear the boys sniggering behind him. It sounded like 'he is so feminine, he must be gay', 'girly guy, seriously he looks good in girl groups'.

Little Kai had been used to it. He was by no means as feminine or girly as they had described him to be but he sure was scrawny looking. 

"Hey, you groupless? Well, I don't have a group as well. We can form one." A tall, rather plain girl - during that period of time - spoke.

"How to form a group when there are only the two of us?" Kai had not mean to sound so blunt but he could not help feeling annoyed at times like this.

The girl, named Jiyeon - according to Kai's memory - showed no signs of being offended but rather nodded her head over to another girl. "She doesn't seem to have a group as well."

Little Hyomin was a very quiet and shy girl, always hiding away in the corner of the classroom. Just like the two of them, she was left groupless for their first ever group assignment in middle school. 

Hyomin later joined the two without paying much care just like Kai since they thought all they needed was to get this project done and over with. Little had they known that despite having lesser members in a group but were able to get better scores than the rest whenever they worked together. The three had a sense of tacit agreement - or rather chemistry they call it - that was unchallenged and that later evolved into close camaraderie-ship.


"Look at us now. God, I am so glad to say that we have changed for the better." Jiyeon rolled her eyes at the piece of memory. 

"You sure it's for the better?" Hyomin teased. 

"Ha. Ha. Talk to me about it, shy girl." Jiyeon spat.

The two of them continued teasing one another until a familiar looking female entered the cafe, Eunji, the student whom Kai had rejected.

The student gasped when she saw the three teachers and awkwardness lingered in the atmosphere. The student greeted the three formally then scampered out of the cafe, dragging her friends along with her.

Kai pinched his nose bridge. "Seriously, I hate being a teacher sometimes."

Hyomin on her straw before giving a thoughtful nod and reply, "yes, can be very awkward when you meet situations like this."

"Ha. Ha. Talk about teaching woes, we've still got our private lives to secure." Jiyeon spat. 

The three then departed the cafe shortly after paying for their drinks.

**

After hours of marking scripts and going through presentation slides, Hyomin was feeling deadbeat but would nonetheless execute her routine. 

Hyomin: Don't be bothered by the girls at school anymore, if anything shall happen, I will discipline them for you. 
23:41
Kai <3: Haha how to when you are not the discipline mistress and besides you treat students way too nicely. FFFFFF :D
23:45
Hyomin: Are you mocking me right now? -.- It's only right to treat them the way they deserve it, they are nice so I should treat them nicely.
23:46
Kai <3: Haha guess I am. Hey, give me half an hour, I need to finish up some work. School stuff. 
23:51
Hyomin: It's okay. I shan't bother you then. Goodnight!
23:51

Hyomin's heart palpitated with anticipation as she waited for Kai's reply. Ten minutes, twenty, thirty. 

Kai <3: Oh well. Goodnight.
00:45

The sleeping girl then awoke when her phone vibrated but it was the usual - disappointment. 

Hyomin had no idea when her feelings for Kai had turned into that of a silent quiet love but it happened anyway. The girl sighed as she sank back into the covers and tossed her phone aside. 

 

**

 

“Lulu you are going to be late, Lulu you are going to be late~”

The bachelor awoke with a start as his alarm sounded. The man in his mid-twenties groaned as he stretched lazily and rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

“Ah… seriously. Why do I even have meetings on a Sunday?” The sleepy man mumbled to himself as he threw his legs over the bed reluctantly.

The bachelor looked at his reflection in the mirror. His hair was tousled, dark circles were evident under each eye and his face was dull from a whole week worth of endless work. “Seriously, what have I done to my beautiful face,” the man rubbed his cheeks as he inspected himself. “Time to get started for the day.”

Within half an hour, a newly transformed Luhan was standing in his place. His tangled mess of a hair was now a headful of lovely curls. The dark circles under his eyes were temporarily removed by a concealer and the colour of his cheeks were returned with a light touch of blusher. “I look so much better now.”

“Mr Lu, here are the details of the meeting. All of your Aunts and Uncles in the executive committee will be present so…” Luhan’s male secretary, Xiumin paused to find the right word but was beaten by his boss to it.

“Perform well, is it?” Luhan smirked dangerously at his secretary.

Worried that he might have upset his boss, the poor secretary stammered and stuttered. Luhan then gave a hearted laugh as he clapped Xiumin on his shoulders, “I was just kidding.”

Luhan then cleared his throat and his expression turned severe as he entered the meeting room. Murmurings in the room died down in an instant upon his entrance. He feigned a look of mild surprise at the number of attendees before settling into his seat, at the very front end of the conference table. Hopefully this throne remains mine for a long enough time.

Luhan is the acting CEO of Star Enterprise, a transnational biotechnological company that currently has its base operation relocated to South Korea. The promotion to his position was made after the passing of his grandfather, according to the old man’s will since he was the eldest and most favourite grandson of his. Undoubtedly, such an action would displease certain members of the large family and was evident in the meeting room right at the moment but Luhan had already prepared himself to tackle it all.

 

“Han, I have no qualms about our latest partnership with Ace International but I do have a concern over the decision of your funding of projects in Malaysia.”

 

Ah… as always, a very welcoming message my most beloved second uncle.

 

“I am not saying that Malaysia is a bad choice but it isn’t a wise-enough choice.”

 

The day any wise-enough choice sprouts from my mind will be the day the Sun rises from the West.

 

Luhan smiled at his own thoughts. The young CEO allowed himself a full minute to craft a strong rebuttal. It was in fact, a redundant move since he had well-predicted the questions that will be raised and the following backlashes that will follow. Their predictability is ruining my creative thinking skills.

 

The volleying of arguments ceased two full hours later with certain board members more dissatisfied than ever. Any more enemies than I already have does not make any difference.

 

“That concludes our meeting.” He gave a fierce, wolfish smile to the attendees, stood up promptly and stalked out of the meeting room not paying any care to anyone. Hopefully I still get to keep my career.

 

The haughty young man was joined by his secretary outside his room.

 

“What is the next item in my schedule?” Luhan loosened his tie as he asked, routinely.

Xiumin unbounded the leather notebook in his hands, opening it to a bookmarked page.

“A date with Ms Jung.”

Another blind date. A rich bachelor’s woe.

 

 

 

--------------------

Author's Note:

Hihi peeps, this is the first chapter (pretty obvious) and hoped it is to readers, more importantly, subscribers likings.

I very much appreciate the number of people who have subscribed to this fiction even before the first chapter is out but there are some problems that I foresee amongst you guys.

I know a huge number of you are KaiYeon shippers and that you guys would expect fluffy things to occur between these two mainly. Here is the thing (that may or may not disappoint you) - while it is true that Kai and Jiyeon is a pair, and are one of the main characters, they are not the main couple. Each couple has a their fair share of 'screen' time which includes their ups and downs moments in their lives.

This story depicts relationship struggles between the three teachers and that is to say, things will not be as fluffy for Kai and Jiyeon as you might expect it to be. Well... so if you are subscribing for the wrong reason, I strongly advise you to unsub now.

I will still appreciate the fact that you ever did and want to read this fic. 

I am so sorry if that sounded harsh or too blunt, but I don't want any disappointed readers here. 

Okay, now back to positive stuff. I sincerely thank people who are anticipating this fiction and I will try my very, very best to do this well. :D 

In this first chapter, the characters' of these characters are already rather prominent (and rather life-like).

Nobody in this story will be as perfect as they seem to be nor be less-than what they seem to be. In fact, I've adopted their characters from a few real persons in my life, myself included. 

Hope you guys would want to read on to unravel their characteristics as well as the story itself.

Once again. thank you to those who have commented, subscribed and upvoted (even though it is done prematurely). It encourages me a lot. I will be replying to comments from this chapter onwards. 

Kudos!