Lesson 7: A Break

A Lesson on Love in the Woods

Lesson of the day: “Give your heart and soul a break when you need it.”

 

 

Woohyun waved a hand before the teacher in daze to grasp her attention. “Hey, Ms Park.” The teacher was so deep in her own world that it did not even work.

“Hyomin,” the student had boldly used the teacher’s name and the teacher flinched upon hearing her own name.

“W-What?” She asked, surprised.

Woohyun scratched the side of his head with a ballpoint pen. “Ms Park, I think you are tired, you have been giving too many extra lessons and I think you should use a rest. I am good from here.” 

It was a lie, Woohyun knew the reason for his teacher’s distractedness in fact, most people guessed it. Hyomin, their Ms Angel Park had lost her cheeriness and enthusiasm ever since Mr Kim and the school’s other Ms Park had gotten together. Losing her cheeriness and enthusiasm was an understatement, the teacher was at loss and distracted most of the time. Passing rumours inflamed matters and Hyomin always made an attempt to shun students whenever possible.

Hyomin rubbed her temples as she denied furiously, embarrassed at the state she was in. “N-No. Let’s continue. We were on question 3 aren’t we?” She knew she had committed a serious wrong, to never mix personal life with her work life but she was never one to be able to draw distinct lines in various aspects of her life.

“Actually Ms Park, we have passed question 3 ages ago. We are on essay question 7.” Woohyun felt bad to correct his teacher but it felt that it was better for her to realise how badly she needed a break. “Ms Park, you need a break,” the boy’s tone was definite, “I will help you explain to Sungjong and Sungyeol why their consultations are cancelled, I bet those thugs will understand.”

Hyomin sighed, she found herself hopeless, even having to rely on her student to convey her thoughts. The teacher sighed as she gathered her belongings mindlessly. “Thank you Woohyun.” 

 

**

 

“Hyung! I’ve booked two air tickets and I’ve already made all the arrangements for two, there is no backing out now,” Sehun waved two gleaming tickets before his elder cousin proudly and danced around his cousin as the pair made their way to the office.

Luhan buried his face into both his hands. “You seriously need to start behaving like a prince if you claim yourself to be one.”

“I am indeed a prince but unfortunately not for you my dear cousin, unless you are a lady and my type at that.” Sehun gave a theatrical bow and held out a hand to his cousin, “are you?”

Luhan glared at his cousin, his face unamused.

“Doesn’t seem like it but I should still be a gentleman and hold open the door for you.” The playful boy once again leapt in front of the CEO and pushed open the door with all gallantry.

Luhan shook his head in defeat as he entered the office. “Oh god!” The CEO jumped when he found their Aunt waiting in his room. His expression of shock was priceless and that triggered Sehun to roar in laughter.

Their Aunt too, had a small, genial smile hung on her face upon his reaction before turning stone-cold once again. 

The CEO gave an audible cough and regained his composure before addressing their Aunt. “My dear Aunt BoA, what brings you here?”

“What brings me here?” Aunt BoA got up from her leather seat and walked lithely towards the younger cousin. “This boy should know what brought me here.” His Aunt later brought a hand up to pinch Sehun’s ears causing the boy to whine at the discomfort.

Luhan’s eyes widened at the unexpected violence from his Aunt. “What did you do again this time?” Luhan glared at Sehun.

Sehun shrugged his shoulders, feigning innocence.

“Well let me tell you what he did,” Aunt BoA interjected. “Your lovely cousin has stepped on the landmine this time...”

Well… it was to be expected, he has been in the minefield for far too long. Luhan snickered as he thought to himself.

“…this boy actually attempted to toy with Krystal’s feelings.” BoA’s grip on Sehun’s ear tightened causing the boy to yelp.

“Krystal? CEO Jung’s younger daughter? The blind date you set me up with the other time?” Luhan asked and threw a look of scepticism to his cousin. I would have sent you in my stead had I known earlier.

“Yes, since when did our dear CEO become so slow-witted?” Aunt BoA’s remark was dripping with sarcasm, definitely a sign that she was pissed. She then turned back to Sehun and flashed a sinister smile at him. “You’re not going anywhere till you’ve settled this crisis.”

“But I just booked the air tickets…” Sehun whined. “I swear I will clear up the mess I made right after this trip.” The boy threw in a pout.

“No!” BoA’s answer was firm and there was no changing it.

Looks like I will have to go on this trip by myself. The CEO thought.

  

**

 

The Biology teacher had adopted one of her student’s suggestion and was prepared to leave for home. Hyomin thought about what had become of her during the past few days and found herself sighing, ashamedly.

“Hello Ms Park! Have a good day ahead.” A random student wished her and the Biologist felt her heart warmed up in an instant.

I should really bulk up for the sake of these lovely children. She made a mental promise to herself that she would become better. Yet, as untimely as it was, her path intersected with that of the other Ms Park.

Hyomin tried to take a different route as Jiyeon approached towards her but there was no other way to go to make it less obvious that she was trying to avoid her friend. There was no choice but to make it obvious. The Biology teacher turned and headed towards where she came from.

The sound of heels behind her became more hurried. It became apparent that Jiyeon was trying to catch up with her and the Biologist quickened her pace in tandem but she was still too slow. Jiyeon’s hand wrapped firmly around her arm and spun her around.

“We need to talk, Hyomin.” Jiyeon urged the girl and pulled her to a corner even though Hyomin’s actions reflected unwillingness.

“What do you want?” Hyomin asked, those words came out sounding more annoyed than she had expected.

“Hyomin, I am sorry. I need to tell you that I actually like Kai.” Jiyeon confessed, her words laced with guilt. 

“I can tell.” What am I saying? Those words shot out of the Biologist’s mouth out of her own will. Hyomin had not the slightest clue that she could be so sarcastic.

The Chemist was not used to being treated in this way, especially not when she was already giving in. “Hey, can you not be so cynical? I am trying to salvage our friendship here.”

“You shouldn’t have ruined it in the first place.” Those bitter words escaped from Hyomin’s lips.

Jiyeon felt a flash of anger overcome her. It was no wrong of hers to pursue love in her own way. “Park Hyomin, I did no wrong. I know you like Kai but I also like him, perhaps for an even longer time than you did. It was no fault of mine that we fell in love with the same man and you revealing your love for him to me first does not make you more right in pursuing him than me. That is just plain unfair.”

Hyomin too, felt anger surging within herself as those words left Jiyeon’s mouth and she countered her, “It is not wrong of us to fall in love with the same guy and you were right to say that my revelation doesn’t make our chances at pursuing him unequal but you should have considered my feelings before confessing to him. I-I…” Hyomin found herself choking on her words as she forced back those tears, “I could have been more mentally prepared to accept you two as a… as a couple.” She could not hold back any longer and turned away as tears found their way to her eyes.

Jiyeon chewed on her lips. It was true that she had been selfish. “Hyomin…”

Jiyeon let out an audible gasp when she saw the stern-faced principal appearing right before them.

“I hope you two would come to the office with me, now.” There was a note of finality in the principal’s tone.

Usually a very amiable person, Seuta’s High principal looked draconian right at that moment.

“Hyomin, Jiyeon, I know you two more than any of the teachers under my wing. You both graduated from this high school, both of you were from my form class. What was more was that both of you were actually my favourite pupils.”

Both Parks nodded and listened silently, guiltily in anticipation of what was about to come.

“Yet both your actions today have disappointed me greatly. You two are the best of the best, and know fully well to segregate your private lives from your work life. This is especially important in the field of teaching. I was willing to turn a blind eye to all those rumours since I understand that all three of you involved have no control over it whatsoever but this is how the two of you exploit my magnanimity. You could have been made a spectacle if students stumble upon your conservation.”

The two guilty souls winced at the thought of it.

“I will let this matter off since you two have been producing good, consistent results throughout your time in Seuta High but I wish this would be the last time either of you are called into the principal’s office regarding matters like this.”

The teachers nodded their heads eagerly as they await the sentence which they wish to hear most.

“Both of you may go now.”

They both heaved a sigh of relief.

“No, wait. Jiyeon you may go, Hyomin please stay.”

Hyomin’s heart sank at those words. What more…? She thought to herself dreadfully. Jiyeon gave her an apologetic glance before taking her leave.

“Hyomin, I’ve been wanting to call you in sooner actually. You were my most favourite pupil and in fact I could say that you’re still my favourite. You always had passion in whatever you were doing and made sure you excelled in them but what happened as of late was more than disappointing. You are going through a turbulent period and everyone knows that but all I can tell you is to deal with it. We teachers always tell students to brace themselves no matter what’s in their pathway and yet you’ve demonstrated that we are not practicing what we preach. I don’t know how to help you find back that passion in teaching but I sincerely wish you could reflect over what happened thoroughly and come back to me with your thoughts and resolutions. You may go now.”

The relief that Hyomin had felt just a moment before washed away upon hearing those words. Hyomin found Jiyeon waiting anxiously outside the office, wanting to make up in some way to the girl but to no avail, Hyomin was completely lost in her own thoughts.

That night, Hyomin tossed and turned in her bed as the principal’s words rang in her mind. ‘Find back that passion in teaching’ Can I really do that? Was I just momentarily distracted or is this job really not for me. Those questions kept repeating in the Biologist mind.

 

**

 

“Kai, do you think I’ve done wrong?” Jiyeon asked as she leant into her boyfriend’s chest.

 Kai landed a kiss on the girl’s head before giving his honest reply. “No, you are not in the wrong, but you are not exactly right either.”

Jiyeon slapped his chest upon hearing his honest reply. “You such a block-headed guy.”

Kai only shrugged. “Well… I can’t help it, I am just like that.”

Jiyeon gave him another slap then made a cute pout. “Yes, you are just like that and I like you being the way you are.”

Kai smiled and hugged the girl tighter to his muscular chest.

The girl felt blissful, she had liked Kai for far too long and this was the least she deserved. Yet, it was a pity her relationship with Hyomin had soured. However, Jiyeon was not going to give up, she was resolute to give another shot at trying to mend their friendship.

Kai was kept awake as the girl fell asleep in his arms. He felt contented but something seemed to be missing from his life and he knew immediately what it was. Hyomin. He was certain he liked Jiyeon but he could not be certain if he liked only Jiyeon. He sighed at his own uncertainty.

 

**

 

The next day, the school was shaken by the news of Hyomin’s resignation but before Jiyeon and Kai could dissuade the girl from doing so, the principal of Seuta High stepped in.

“My words to you yesterday might have been too harsh but that does not mean that you should leave your job.”

“No, no, sir, I thought what you said made complete sense. I’ve been thinking it through and I think that this job might not be suitable for me and I may have lost my passion after all,” the teacher explained. “I will still fulfil my contract of two years and perform my duty fully,” the teacher added.

“The issue at hand is not about you fulfilling your contract,” the principal sighed before adding, “it is about you giving yourself time and thinking it through thoroughly.”

“But sir, I…”

The principal raised up a hand to put a halt to her arguments. “What you need is a break, a break from work… give your heart a break… whichever… I will not approve of your resignation letter but I will give you a three months break with effect from tomorrow. I have enough teachers to take over your lessons so do not worry about all those. Go and have a break and join us after three months or anytime you’re ready before your three-month break.”

The Biology teacher opened but no words came out. A three month break? What do I do with it?!

 

**

Author's Note:

Hello guys it hasn't been too long since I last updated right :D *proud of myself*

I got too excited writing this fic since Luhan and Hyomin will be meeting soon. *squeals* I cannot wait as well!!

Sehun is just <3 and Luhan, always the cynical, sarcastic one :)

A little bit of angsty scene between Jiyeon and Hyomin but don't worry they will be fine :) Well... the principal's words are so lengthy >< I am so sorry about that guys haha if it got a little boring but I gotta insert them :D

And yay Jiyeon and Kai's relationship has taken flight even though Kai is still confused -.- I gotta whack some sense into him.

Thanks for all the comments despite the long break in updates guys! :D 

Hope you will enjoy reading :D