Cold Sweat

Caramel filled Snickerdoodles

A/N: I originally did this chapter on my ipod but lo and behold my power ran out and it didn't save. Well, anyways, get ready to be spooked.

______________________________________________________________________

His name was Kai.

My very best friend, created out of fiction.

When I was younger my family moved to an isolated small town. It was beautiful and had the best air around, technology was kept to a minimal and everyone went outside for their pleasure. Neighbours knew neighbours and pets knew pets. There wasn't much to do in this town if you were a child. The townsfolk were of an older generation and thus yeilded no children. Being a quiet and responsible child, I had to assure my parents that I was okay with playing by myself or with my brother Suho.

I can't recall when he had been created or the process of creating him at all.

It all happened on a rainy evening, another child approached me with a set of marbles asking to play. His eyes were a hue of dark chocolate to match his sun kissed skin and black hair. He wore a simple attire, white shirt with denim shorts and black converses. I regret to this day to question my sanity at that time, I thought he was just some grandchild visiting from the city. When I went to go ask my mother about him, she looked at me in awe and bursted out laughing. To this day she still brings it up from time to time that I created an imaginary friend.

As days turned into weeks, and weeks turned into months, so did months turn into years. Over the years I caught up to Kai's habits and little quirks. He always had the strangest look in his eyes whenever I talked to someone else, a look unreadable and almost blank. It's not the blank look that I was afraid of, it was the eerie feeling of surprise. The feeling where you don't know what could happen next. At the age of 13 we went back to the city to live because of my father's job. Being back in the city was quite the change. I met new people my age and had fun there, slowly forgetting about the person who was attached to my shadow. I made friends and communicated with them whenever we went back and forth from our places. It was shortly after my 17th birthday that I had noticed Kai still existed. He sat on my bed waiting, his eyes a darker shade than black.

"W-Woah! You scared me there." He turned his head towards me with a slow dreadful twist. We both were aged and he had become handsome over the years. He approached me with his hands wide open for a hug, being the taller one he easily came down and swept me of my feet.

"Hey, I haven't seen you around. Where'd you go?" I asked as we both landed on the bed.

"I'm always with you." His sentence was abruptly stopped when the door swung open to reveal my best friend Chanyeol coming in.

"Who are you talking to Kyungsoo?" He asked, mouth full of chips and hands full of their bags. I glided down from my bed to join him for our movie night and put the thought behind me, reassuring him that I was talking to what he feared the most, "ghosts". It wasn't until a week after that I realized something important. Kai had swept me off my feet, if he was suppose to be an imaginary friend then that shouldn't happen at all. It...can't happen at all...right?

When I turned 21 I came back into the town where he previously lived. The townsfolk were even older but greeted me with warm welcomes. Our small house was already preoccupied so I had to move into a house near the lake. It was bit older with the wood creaking often, the kitchen was nice and clean, the master bedroom had a balcony and the other bedrooms were painted sky blue. The view was incredibly, the lake glistened with the sun and the forest had a friendly atmosphere.

I knew I should have questioned my sanity before.

Like any other night, darkness crept and spread quickly. The only lights left were the ones flickering dimly in my house. I wasn't sure how they were still on since I turned them off when I had left but I continued my long walk through the forest. He called to me.

"Kyungsoo." I nearly dropped all my things and ran but I kept a hand over my beating heart and squinted around to see a figure calling me.

"Kyunggie." It repeated, the voice was familiar but had the hint I dready the most. Unpredictable, unreadable, surprise.

"K-Kai? Is that you?" I swore I almost fell to the ground when he appeared in front of me in the mere span of a second. He was dressed in all black and his skin lost it's luster. The lights in my house kept flickering, I wondered if they were going to give out. He held my hand in his, it felt awfully cold and made me shiver.

"Yes, it is me..." His answer was a bit unnerving and off. His voice turned from sweet to sour. He tugged me to keep following him, the forest kept going on and on. I mustered up all my courage to ask him the question that was on my mind from my 17th year of life.

"Hey Kai," I started, "You know when you met Chanyeol on that day in the city. The guy you kept on staring at during the whole film. Um, I was wondering, before that you were able to...physically touch me? Is that just my imagination or did I do that to myself. In all honesty, I'm pretty sure you don't exist. No, you never did exist." His eyes burned and his hand started to grip mine tighter. Something was off, definitely off. We started to go nowhere, I honestly thought we were walking in circles. It wasn't until Kai whipped his head towards me that my instincts kicked in.

"Kyungsoo...my dear. You don't need anyone else but me. Just follow me and come into my embrace, I'll keep you safe forever."

"Haha, very funny. You don't exist, I would just be jumping into air." It was that same sensation I felt that swirled down my spine. We looked at each other dead in the eyes. He was not joking and I was scared. I don't remember what happened next, it was either him lunging at me or I cursed and ran like hell. The leaves screamed in anguish when I stepped on them, the crunching was something I paid no attention to. All I thought about was getting away, far, far, away. I found a tree that I recognized from my walks, it was old and sturdy but had an opening at it's base. I crawled in and held my breath, breathing slowly so he couldn't find me. I heard footsteps far away, they weren't that loud or made much noise but as soon as I tried to pinpoint his location they were like thunder. He kept murmuring something, I couldn't understand it. Maybe it was a mix of Korean and Latin? Or English perhaps? But I was sure of something, he kept saying my name.

"Kyungsoo, I know you're here. Please just come to me..."

I saw him in the distance from the little shelter I was staying in. His back was in front of me and I decided that I would run to the police. When he took a few steps forward I booked it. My heart was beating and my blood was filled with adrenaline. Everything that was crystal clear became a blur as I felt a heavy body throw me down. He was no longer Kai, it was a human in the shape of a shadow. Pitch black that held nothing. One look in his eyes revealed everything. It all made sense. The blank look he had finally came together, the emotions that swam in his eyes, I finally understood it.

Envy, jealousy, and possession.

"MINEMINEMINEMINE" The words blocked off all reason I had, I started to breathe heavy. The world was spinning and so was I. I could feel something ripping into my neck. His head has buried into the crook and there was a wet feeling. It hurt, the pain was overwhelming. It really hurt.

"Now we'll be together forever." I was choking. There was something filling my throat, slimy and wet. Tasted like iron. It was disgusting, I hacked and gagged at it. That pitch black that held nothing swallowed me whole.

"Kyungsoo! HEY!" There was Suho's face over mine. A bit too close but a sense of relief washed over me. My body felt wet with sweat and my eyes showed confusion. What had just happened? I'm here in my room but that felt too much like a dream. Suho furrowed his eyebrows at my confusion. He knocked my head and held me in his arms, trying to comfort me and my nightmare.

"I-I..." I couldn't get the words to form in my mouth, I swear it all felt like deja vu. Suho gently patted my head, trying to calm me down. There was a tingly sensation on my neck. At first it felt like a slight itch but soon burned like hell. I winced in pain and Suho immediately saw it.

"Woah, is that a major bug bite?! You have got to check it out." Suho snickered at the pain I was feeling. I guess that reaction is common with siblings as I pushed him away. I trudged to the bathroom mirror with my brother following behind. I suppose he wanted to make sure I was fine since I looked like a mess.

"Hmm...I think you'd make a funny reaction if you saw it Kyunggie." I ignored him and went inside to check my injury. It started off as a small bruise but soon filled my entire neck with black. It burned and burned, tears sprang into my eyes and I couldn't keep them in any longer. It hurt so much, I thought I was dying. Something was off with the way my brother didn't come to me when I was in pain. Then it hit me. My brother never came over, my family was on vacation some place in Europe. How could he be here? Besides...he never called me Kyunggie before. That was a pet name from...Kai. I whipped my head around to see Suho but it was a face I was too familiar with. I started to sob louder and louder as he approached me. I huddled and curled myself into ball so that I wouldn't be able to see him. He wrapped his arms around me and brought me close. I was suddenly tired. So, so, so tired.

"I love you Kyungsoo."