Chapter -5-

Waltz

Title: Waltz

Pairing: BaekYeol

Rating: nc-17

Length:  6035 Words (5/11)

Genres: Romance

Summary: Baek Hyun has been getting relentless calls from a strange number at the strangest times and he decided to post the contact number on some gay dating website for the calls to stop. It was supposed to work, goddamnit.

Warning: Un-beta

===

 

 

Baek Hyun woke up that morning to a simple text message.

 

To: Baek Hyun

From: -Unknown number-

Time: 3:02 AM

Text: Just got home. Nnyte :)

 

His morning routine had always been simple.

 

It was Friday morning, and Baek Hyun was still tired, but he managed to soldier up and worked lazy hand to brush up his teeth with memorised precision and drowsy eyes. He couldn’t remember how he’d got through shower, let alone ironing his shirt and trousers in the morning (because he would routinely do it at night before sleeping, but he’d skipped them and went to bed right away the night before), but he managed to do it all anyway.

 

He succeeded because he was a winner.

 

The world may think that it can run him down like some useless avalanche down a snowy slope, but they were wrong, they got him all wrong by forgetting one major detail. Baek Hyun was the avalanche. He goes down with destruction, it –he might be destruction itself at this rate.

 

His father said that all those efficiencies were probably inherited from his side of the family, but Baek Hyun thought that it was all bull. This was his will at work, (and also because he was, c’mon, the avalanche slash destruction) surviving the cruel world, making him this resourceful and bitter too.

 

His grandmother would’ve been proud, though.

 

She survived WWII after all.

 

The bus ride was hazy, and it was 8.25am when he sat on his office chair with droopy eyes to the sound of keyboard clicking from his cubicle-mate.

 

Kyung Soo was already there, starting on his work diligently with crisp white shirt, maroon tie (because it was Friday) and his face was still unfriendly. Baek Hyun wondered if it will remain this way till the end of the world.

 

“You know,” he started from his slouched posture on the office chair. Kyung Soo hadn’t even spared him a glance ever since he came in. “It doesn’t hurt to smile.” He grinned lazily and even then, Kyung Soo didn’t turn to him.

 

Baek Hyun shrugged to himself, unfazed by the lack of response and leaned forward on his chair, straightened up as he took off the straps of his backpack from his shoulder, carefully placing the bag under the table before taking out his phone from his pocket only to place them on his desk next to the keyboard.

 

Waiting for his PC to boot up was bull, fans whirring from the cage of the CPU and Baek Hyun picked his phone up while waiting.

 

To: -Unknown number-

From: Baek Hyun

Time: 8:55 AM

Text: I’m at the office now

 

And then common sense just sort of kicked in like a punch to his balls.

 

Oh.

 

His hands were still around the handphone, and he stared at the device with almost a lifeless look. Because really, that was probably what he was, lifeless with colourless crap painting his life’s story or chronology or to mark his existence which mostly about what his life really made out of:  ty craps and coincidences –because he was a walking crap, undoubtedly.

 

Dread filled his whole chest and the way his guts churned kinda made him want to roll on the floor like some California roll and hide himself somewhere.

 

He stared at the sent text awkwardly.

 

Now, why the did he does that?

 

“Why are you looking at your phone with that expression?”

 

Kyung Soo’s voice was husky because it was still early. It probably because Baek Hyun might be the first person he talked to that day and it was quite flattering, if he was honest with himself. The man had paused from his furious typing on the keyboard, attention now solely on Baek Hyun and when usually the elder would coo and melted at the gesture, this time, that wasn’t the case.

 

He had gruffly grunted out in return instead.

 

“So now you decided to be talkative?”

 

The clicking of the keyboard resumed shortly after that

 

“A sentence can hardly be regard as talkative, Baek Hyun-ssi.”

 

It was still early for this .

 

He jumped up a little in his chair when his phone vibrated in his hand, looking down he quickly slide the phone unlock. A new text message just came in and he couldn’t explain why his face was burning up this way.

 

To: Baek Hyun

From: -Unknown number-

Time: 8:59 AM

Text: Okay, have fun then! Don’t work yourself to death, because you’re not even attractive alive.

 

Wha –

 

The nerve.

 

To: Baek Hyun

From: -Unknown number-

Time: 9:01 AM

Text: Just a clarification, I wasn’t serious.

 

To: -Unknown number-

From: Baek Hyun

Time: 9:03 AM

Text: Why are you still up?

 

Baek Hyun opened up a folder, spreading them and started scanning through the part from where he left the day before. Sales tax, taxable s.

 

He can deal with this strange weird jumpy thing in his chest. He was good like that. He should just man up and deal with this professionally, this, whatever this was.

 

“Can’t wait to have new interns,” Baek Hyun said idly. Their peak period was just around the corner, starting next week in fact, and the workload was no joke.

 

Of course Kyung Soo hadn’t responded then.

 

“And you wanted to do audit before? Son, you barely survived your intern.” 

 

To: Baek Hyun

From: -Unknown number-

Time: 9:11 AM

Text: Meh, I’m a light sleeper. Woke up by the text. Anyway Imma go and catch few more minutes. Have class at 10.

 

It was 9.30am when Baek Hyun saved the number to just ‘Chan Yeol’.

 

===

 

It was 12.45pm and Baek Hyun was slurping down his jajangmyeon when he got a text.

 

To: Baek Hyun

From: Chan Yeol

Time: 12:45 PM

Text: I missed my class

 

He hadn’t bothered texting back a reply, because if sharing cubicles with Kyung Soo was already depressing enough, having lunch with Kyung Soo, Lu Han and Jong Dae all at once was just, well, suicidal.

 

“Why are you here by the way?” Lu Han had asked, white shirt spotless and tie pulled backwards.

 

Kyung Soo was quiet in his little corner at the end of the table next to him, shoulders small and Baek Hyun sometimes thought that his profile made a good cover up for a serial killer. Rounded almost innocent eyes, blank almost lifeless face, frowning lips, pale skin and jetblack hair?

 

Do Kyung Soo was the very definition of a serial killer, a textbook presentation.

 

A psychopath.

 

(And his black heart too)

 

Baek Hyun snorted into his drink, iced peach tea, before settling the glass onto the table, back slouching into his chair and studied the way Jong Dae’s nose had crinkled up when the black sauce splattered over his chin from his slurping.

 

Kyung Soo had given him a distasteful look. The disdain in his eyes couldn’t be more obvious, so raw in its honesty Baek Hyun couldn’t help feeling like being kicked himself. It was thick, suffocating even and Baek Hyun wondered how many people had the man really killed? Were there really trophies? Psychopaths liked that kind of stuff, don’t they? Hair? Fingers? Nails? Teeth? Shoes? Toes? Jewelleries?

 

“Your ideas sometimes make me wonder if it really is you who had done all that, Baek Hyun-ssi.”

 

Baek Hyun turned to Lu Han after that, stared at his smug face next to Jong Dae and grimaced at the sight of toothpick chewed between straight set of white teeth. He made a perfect image of a Chinese loan shark boss. Baek Hyun was convinced it was the hate and disgust in his eyes, and the way his mouth always seemed to be chewing on something and also his excessive usage of foul words.

 

However, they both knew that no matter how intimidating the man looked like, it was not going to work on Baek Hyun anymore. He was a free man now. 

 

“No, why are you here?” Baek Hyun had replied casually, shoulders against chair and hand patted over his belly before he reached forward for the wet tissue. Its floral scent caused his face to scrunch up as he wiped the residue of black soy sauce from the corner of his lips, and the lower part of his cheek too.

 

He and Jong Dae sort of grew up together, or at least, went through puberty together, and some habits were meant to be shared.

 

“This place is cheap.” Lu Han told him easily and Baek Hyun gave him a pointed look.

 

“Exactly why I’m here.”

 

Lu Han shook his head, chopstick fluid in picking up the pickled bamboo shoot and dump them into his mouth, small lips obscenely part opened as he chewed on them.

 

“But I don’t want to eat on the same table as you.” Lu Han had remarked simply and Baek Hyun shook his head.

 

“Neither do I,” He said. “But since neither of us is King, we should really just get over it and be quiet.”

 

Lu Han and Baek Hyun had a funny history.

 

“Man, you’re so fat, it burns my eyes.”

 

They had a bizarre history, really.

 

“And you’re tiny, just like the Chinese you really are.”

 

The kick to his shin under the table was sort of expected. They were painful. Very, very painful.

 

===

 

“So have you come up with a solution about your car?”

 

The lift was understandably full because lunch hour had just ended. Kyung Soo was wearing a pinched look, a part of him kind of pity the man, really, because he can’t imagine Kyung Soo to be enjoying himself being stuck in a tight space like this, filled with people.

 

He made it very clear from time to time how he despised every living thing on earth, Baek Hyun was usually the one subjected to his hate-talk.

 

“Don’t be a wimp, and just deal with them Kyung Soo-yah. You need to like people to reproduce, you know.”

 

Baek Hyun turned to Jong Dae after that.

 

“What about it?” He asked because what was there to discuss. He and Chan Yeol had agreed that this weekend was perfect for a trip to the workshop, anyway.

 

Jong Dae arched an eyebrow at Baek Hyun’s question.

 

“Well, for a start, have you made any form of communication with the man who banged your car?”

 

Lu Han snorted from next to him, arms warm against Baek Hyun’s spine because again, the lift was so full that Baek Hyun had to lean against the disgruntled manager. He was sure that the man had some underhand comment at the end of his tongue, but both of them knew that it was not the right time to be crude. Lu Han had an image to uphold despite how everyone knew of his ‘prowess’ and Baek Hyun still had a long way in his career.

 

The lift stopped at the 7th floor, and few of the women from the admin walked out with giggles and floral scent perfumes, trailing a longing look to Kyung Soo and Lu Han, leaving more serious looking auditors, and one particular dressed in black pencil skirt and white shirt with cleavage exposed and black Louboutin pumps.

 

“Well, sort of.” Baek Hyun continued on, and Lu Han gave him a pointed look before Baek Hyun realised that he was actually still leaning on the manager’s side despite how the lift had become less congested. He straightened up and took a few steps away, creating a comfortable gap between them, muttering a soft “Who wants to touch you anyway.” before grimacing at the manager’s knowing smirk.  

 

The auditor with the four inches pumps was staring at Kyung Soo with soft eyes, but what a shame it was because such beauty will be wasted on a worthless like his cubicle-mate.

 

He didn’t understand what all these fine women saw in Kyung Soo anyway. He was a sadist evil bastard that will murder your child with his bare hands while you were sleeping and would claim that it was a godly act to rid of all nuisances in the world.

 

“I see a lot of the girls are into you. Aren’t you going to do anything about it?”

 

“About what?”

 

“About you-know-what.”

 

“You need to be clearer, Baek Hyun-ssi.”

 

“Well for a start, there are the girls.”

 

“And what about them?”

 

“You know, them wanting to get under you and have you done s to them or maybe doing s to you too.”

 

“And it concerns me, how?”

 

“You know what, never mind. Forget I ever mention this.”

 

They reached the 13th floor and the auditor lady with the black Louboutin pumps walked out of the elevator with strong sways, curvy being insinuated by the tightness of her skirt with a slit showing off an expanse of long milky thighs. She gave Kyung Soo one last hopeful gaze, being so bloody obvious about it in fact, but the idiot was busy unfolding his cuff from where he had folded his sleeves up to his elbow during lunch.

 

The door closed to a disappointed face of a very beautiful woman and also, Baek Hyun’s disappointment with his cubicle-mate and just life in general.

 

Such a shame, honestly.

 

===

 

It was 11.25pm when he left his desk, walking out to the bus stand and everything somehow had moved into a perfectly memorised routine. Jong Dae was still at the firm, he can hear him singing from the other part of the floor and that was saying something because the floor was huge with two departments on one end and the other and Jong Dae’s department was so far off from Baek Hyun’s place.

 

Jong Dae was in a lot of pain, he looked miserable and drained.

 

Baek Hyun would know the feelings well.

 

He was a walking dried up stick, honey and sweetness and sugar all up dry by real life.

 

“Baby, I don’t think I can make it.” His best friend had initially whimpered, tie thrown away and face greasy from the long day. He was sitting crossed legs on the floor, mountains of folders and files surrounded him and the rest of his team members were in the same drained state.

 

Jong Dae was approaching the middle of his peak period and Baek Hyun just got into it.

 

“Stop being dramatic, Jong Dae-yah, that’s my forte.” Baek Hyun had sighed before passing the still warm milk tea to his friend. He had made them in the pantry few moments ago because contrary to popular belief, Baek Hyun was a nice friend.

 

“I’m not, Baek Hyun-nie,” Jong Dae grabbed the mug earnestly. “If I die, don’t invite Kyung Soo or his brother to my funeral.”

 

Baek Hyun shook his head before ruffling his hair.

 

Jong Dae, Kyung Soo and their ing history.

 

“Sure, buddy.”

 

But it was Lu Han’s voice “Time is ticking Kim Jong Dae, or does Byun Baek Hyun-ssi wants to stay and help you ing this assignment up?” booming through his office door that immediately made Baek Hyun left the department with a robotic nod, parting with Jong Dae’s pathetic form of “Come back! Where do you think you’re going? I thought I was your brother! What happen to the blood pact and spits?”

 

The blood pact was eight years ago, and that was the first time they’ve gotten drunk –they were sixteen for crying out loud.

 

He walked out of the elevator to his apartment floor that night with slumped shoulders. It was always slumping and slouching with him these days. If the myth of crooked man did exist, Baek Hyun’s posture was probably the perfect reflection.

 

The lights of the hallway were on and Baek Hyun didn’t know why the sight of a sitting man on the floor didn’t surprise him at all.

 

“What are you doing here?” He asked the red haired man tiredly and Chan Yeol looked up from his slumped position against the wall, hundred volts smile quickly lighting his face up and Baek Hyun spontaneously  cringe at the, well, ‘brightness’.

 

Chan Yeol had sat in the same position as he did the night before, knees pressed to his chest and face initially pressed onto the kneecaps, pulling out a perfect sense of déjà vu from the elder male.

 

“You’re back!” Chan Yeol exclaimed and straightened up his body, slowly standing up before crying out, “Ow! Ow! Can’t feel my legs!”

 

It was the same picture played from yesterday, except that this time, Chan Yeol had black snapback on with its beak tilted upwards so that his red bang was a clear view and he’d worn an oversized zipped up hoody with the hood covering a partial of the cap and his skinny jeans were black. The tee under the black hoody was a messy scribbled graphics in black and white. His sneakers were red, matching with his fiery hair. He still had that huge spectacle on.

 

“Where else would I be?” Baek Hyun sighed and sauntered to his door, tired and maybe a little sleepy as deft hand rummaging through his pocket for the house key. It was a routine, the same thing all over again and Baek Hyun didn’t need to look to know where to push his hand around.

 

It was 12.05am.

 

Chan Yeol was already standing next to the shorter male, and Baek Hyun didn’t know why the thick mixture scents of nicotine and cologne just made him want to inhale more of the other man’s smell. It was weird. Baek Hyun was already weird to begin with as per claimed by Kim Jong Dae, but this. Jong Dae would have a field trip had he known.   

 

He blamed it on his tired body and tired heart.

 

And maybe his tired soul too.

 

Chan Yeol snorted after that and it caught Baek Hyun’s attention.

 

“I don’t know. You don’t seem to have that much of a life to begin with.” He said easily and Baek Hyun felt like slumping against the door, maybe he should go on and thump his head against the solid wood a few more times to bring some sense into himself because honestly, none of this made sense.

 

“And why are you here? On a Friday night, no less.” Baek Hyun shot back, but was quickly replied by a boisterous laugh. He needed to be in the office the next day to continue with his work despite it was going to be Saturday. He didn’t think he’ll have the time to proceed with the workshop’s plan.

 

He pushed the door open, kicked his shoes to the side and Chan Yeol was about to invite himself in when Baek Hyun stood in the doorway with chin held up high, effectively blocking the other male’s entrance.

 

Chan Yeol gave him a confused look.

 

“What?” He said, “Can’t I come in?”

 

Baek Hyun snarled in return, Chan Yeol’s hot breath was washing over his face. They were really close now.  

 

“It depends. Did you leave anything from last night?”

 

“Err, no?”

 

“Then, no.”

 

“No? No what?”

 

“You may not come in.”

 

“Aw, man, why not?”

 

“Go away, Chan Yeol, be young and go do whatever college kids do these days.”

 

“You’re not that old, you know.”

 

“I know, still, go away.”

 

“But I brought dinner!”

 

It was pathetic, Baek Hyun thought honestly. It was pathetic how quiet he had become at the notion of food and at Chan Yeol’s earnest eyes and furrowed eyebrows and –

 

“What dinner?”

 

===

 

The smell was heavenly he thought, though treacherous –wafting smoke climbing up from earth (or the frying pan, actually) and seeped out into the small kitchen and Baek Hyun depressingly thought that everything seemed like a play from hell.

 

“This is ridiculous,” He said by the counter, watching Chan Yeol using the stainless steel tong expertly in flipping the sizzling pork around the pan.

 

“What is? Free food?” Chan Yeol had grinned, hoody abandoned on the couch in the living room and Baek Hyun realised that his tee was oversized and yet, it looked good on his long torso.   

 

The table was already set, but Baek Hyun was still in his working attire as he stood his guard next to the strange man that he’d come to know three days back. It was strange that they were standing like this now when Baek Hyun had rarely let anybody in at all.

 

So why is he here now?

 

How would I ing know?

 

“This is evil at its purest.” Baek Hyun exclaimed with a sigh from next to the cooking man, because damn, it smelled so ing good and Baek Hyun was hungry as balls. He should’ve been stronger, should be able to resist such meek necessity like eating and hunger, but he was just a man, goddamnit, he was no god.

 

Avalanche.

 

Destruction.

 

Bull.    

 

Chan Yeol’s laugh had been musical.

 

Satanic.

 

“Food is evil?”

 

Baek Hyun was getting ridiculously hostile at each passing seconds.

 

“I think somehow, this is you, trying to manipulate me and .”

 

They ended up eating by the dining table with the balcony door by the wall just next to the glass table was slid opened. Cold air sifted in, and when Baek Hyun usually hated cold temperature like this, with the accompaniment of soju, it somehow made everything bearable.

 

They ate the meat with plain white rice, some sweet and spicy dipping sauce and just kimchi. Chan Yeol had been thoughtful to bring everything and Baek Hyun didn’t know if he should complain or come up with more bizarre theory to uncover the tall man’s real motive.

 

Some people called it kindness, but Baek Hyun never believed in those charitable notions.  

 

“How can that sweet Jong Dae even put up with you, Baek Hyun-nie, you’re always so cruel.”

 

“It’s not like he has a choice, ma. No one wants him –”

 

“Now, that is true love sweety, especially with your cruel attitude, so don’t let go.”

 

“Ma, for the last time, Jong Dae is not my boyfriend.”

 

“Honestly Baek Hyun-nie, I don’t understand why you’re still trying to deny what you have with that boy. Me and papa know all about it, what’s the point of hiding anymore?”

 

Baek Hyun had abandoned his work shirt and was clad in his white short sleeved under tee and black working pants.

 

“How is it?” Chan Yeol had asked, a repeat of what he had asked last night and Baek Hyun shrugged in return.

 

“It’s good and I’m hungry.” He said and Chan Yeol only nodded. He didn’t look too thrilled at the elder’s answer, but he didn’t bother pushing for more.  

 

The taste was the same as it did with the last one Chan Yeol made, there was nothing much for him to comment on and hunger, somehow, made everything tasted so much better. He didn’t have that small shot glasses like Jong Dae have back at his place, so he wound up drinking the soju after being carefully measured before being poured into his usual glass. Chan Yeol had initially wanted to pour some for himself, but Baek Hyun was quick to grab the bottle away.

 

“Seriously?”

 

Chan Yeol had looked crestfallen and was eyeing Baek Hyun rather pathetically with large eyes and pitiful expression. Beg all he wants, puppy eyes and face, because Byun Baek Hyun was the mountain, he was mother earth. Nothing can move him and his iron will.

 

“Not when you’re with me.”

 

“C’mon now, that’s not nice.” Chan Yeol whined, but Baek Hyun had ignored him of course, pouring instead into his glass with a small smile.

 

Ah it was Friday.

 

“Not on my watch, you’re not.” Baek Hyun shook his head. “You’re not even twenty-one.” He said a little smugly because wow, he was older –oh god, the control.

 

Chan Yeol gave him an unbelievable look, like he couldn’t believe that this was happening. But it was happening, and Baek Hyun rather liked the control he was given.

 

“But only for another five months!” Chan Yeol cried out. “It hardly makes a difference!”  

 

Baek Hyun had ignored the younger man and instead, focused on his own glass. The drink burned his throat as he swallowed the mouthful of alcohol before he decided that he was going to keep away the rest of it because Baek Hyun was in no mood to get wasted.

 

He opted instead for the bottle of beer from the fridge, using the magnet cap opener his mother got him when she went to Belgium last year. He walked to the couch with warm fuzz settling in his tummy, leaving the dirty plates on the table as he switch on the TV.

 

Chan Yeol was piling up the plates into the sink and Baek Hyun quickly called up to him.

 

“Just leave them be, I’ll wash them tomorrow.”

 

Let it be known that Baek Hyun always repays people’s kindness despite how repulsive those sentiments were.

 

He’ll do the dishes.

 

Tomorrow.

 

There was a beat of silence and Baek Hyun was efficient with grabbing the remote control from next to him, switching the channel and slumped against the couch.

 

Game of Thrones was playing now and it was episode 8. Missandei was washing her clothes by the river and god blessed her for having such a beautiful face and . Baek Hyun snorted to himself.

 

The couch dip down at the additional weight and the smell of beer caught his attention.

 

Chan Yeol was helping himself with a bottle of beer. It was Baek Hyun’s from the fridge and the younger had pointedly stared at the TV, purposely away from the elder’s gaze as if he feared that any eye contact might take the beer away. Baek Hyun guessed that he was not going to give the beer up at any moment, no matter what.

 

Baek Hyun decided to let it slide. He was tired anyway. And plus, Chan Yeol sort of have cooked dinner for him that night like he just did the other night.

 

“Only tonight.” He hissed.

 

Chan Yeol grinned out in return, but his eyes didn’t leave the TV.

 

They were at the point when Arya and the Hound were heading towards Eyrie and Chan Yeol had slouched into the couch excessively, pillow hugged to his chest and there was an empty bottle of Heineken on the coffee table. Baek Hyun had his feet both crossed under his thighs, still dressed in his working pants and white tee and the wind from the balcony was cooling.

 

Chan Yeol was sipping on his second bottle when Baek Hyun turned to him.

 

“What do you really see out of this?” Baek Hyun suddenly asked.

 

Chan Yeol turned to him with a confused look, turning back to look at the screen of the TV before turning his gaze back to the elder.

 

“You mean this? I’ve watched this before, spoiler, but her aunt died. Little finger killed her.” He laughed out and still looked confused when the elder shook his head. “What?” He asked again.

 

Baek Hyun didn’t know how to start, where to start because he was confused as despite how nice everything was. But the question suddenly burned him, he blamed the alcohol, but here he was and he straightened his posture on the couch, face sterning up into a serious look.

 

He manned up anyway.

 

“You came here last night, and tonight. You cook for me and we eat together despite our history.” Baek Hyun started. “It’s not normal, I should be pressing charges for what you’ve done.” He said and Chan Yeol had looked guilty at the mention of charges. “Don’t get me wrong, anyone would’ve freaked out for being spammed with calls ten times daily at ungodly hours, you do realise that, right?”

 

Chan Yeol nodded, face solemn and he turned to look back at TV, and shoulders slouched.

 

 “I’m sorry about that.” He sighed out and it actually annoyed the elder.

 

“Don’t only be sorry, explain to me. You can’t expect me to just accept you like that, you know. It’s ing weird.” He said tiredly.

 

“Well, tell me what you want to know. I’ve told you everything, but I might miss a point or something?”

 

Baek Hyun looked at the younger male, tip of the bottle carefully hovered over his lips in a ghostly touch and it brought a sort of an itch to the warm flesh. He needed to thread on this carefully, Chan Yeol seemed to be the honest type. He didn’t look as if he was good at lying.

 

So he cleared his throat. 

 

“I’m still confused, though.” He started hesitantly, efficiently catching the younger male’s attention and Chan Yeol’s face was a little pink.

 

“About what?” Chan Yeol had asked and it was weird how deep his voice was contrasting with his soft feature.

 

Baek Hyun’s bottle was half finished, or maybe a quarter, his thin fingers were drumming across the green glass.

 

“Why the calls? The spamming?” He asked, had still been confused about it for quite a while.

 

Chan Yeol had looked guilty then, turning away to the TV and it was weird how he was curious about it all.

 

Seriously though, why?

 

Chan Yeol hadn’t responded, and Baek Hyun almost thought that he was not going to at this rate.

 

But then the tall man let out a sigh.

 

“You know how breakups tend to make you do stupid things,” Chan Yeol said after a while. “That’s exactly what happened.” He sighed again and sip on the bottled beer. Lysa’s wimpy boy was complaining about one horse to another and Baelish was spouting nonsense again. 

 

“So the phone calls?” Baek Hyun asked again and heard Chan Yeol let out a groan.

 

“Our breakup was one-sided, really.” Chan Yeol said. “You know how I told you about the facebook post? ing three days later, I found out about a different instagram account she’s had in a while. Boys, parties, s. I was a laughing stock, that spare boyfriend she had wagging his tail back in her hometown in case happens. You know? A backup plan for her to turn to in case she ed things up and that just pissed me off. I never expected her to be a ing and a liar.”  

 

The imp was talking about the beetles now.

 

“So, what, you spam her –or me, really, with calls. To get answers? An explanation? Apologies? To scream ?”

 

Chan Yeol’s bottle was empty as he placed them on the coffee table.

 

“A closure would be nice.” Chan Yeol sighed out, suddenly looking older than his age. “I mean, yeah, the feelings sort of died out within the years, you know, with the lack of communication and stuff. But it’s ing irritating –she’s a ing hypocrite because she said I didn’t even try when all I did back here was try and try and try again. You think it’s hard to fall out of love or , but try staying in a hopeless love and I ing dare you to say it’s easy.”

 

Chan Yeol was twitchy, Baek Hyun didn’t have the mood to drink anymore. “I’m so ing pissed, it just eat me up. It’s like I can’t function normally, even the slightest thing can flip me over.” Chan Yeol looked shaky when Baek Hyun handed him his bottle of beer, still cool and half or 2/3 full. Chan Yeol continued again after that, and the elder was just silent as he leaned more comfortably against the sofa.

 

“Why hadn’t she said anything before? If she had explained that she didn’t want to be together anymore, I would’ve understood. What’s so hard about being truthful? I just don’t understand why she did all that, why she did that to me, making a fool out of me –what’s so difficult about being honest?”

 

Baek Hyun was quiet, strangely comfortable on the grey couch and Chan Yeol was warm next to him. The man’s voice was nice to listen to. They were deep, but held that whiny quality to it and if Baek Hyun wasn’t dead tired by the couch, he would’ve kicked himself for thinking that it was cute.

 

“So I got the number from my friend, kept calling because she’s bound to feel tired from the endless call –she must answer the phone at one point or another, but it’s no use anyway. I don’t know what to do anymore, I don’t know how to get to her. She ignored all of my messages –on facebook, twitter, it’s no ing use. She’s ignoring me, I can’t get to her. The number is yours, I don’t know how she got them, but it is what it is.”

 

He’d heard of the story before. A drunken Chan Yeol was an honest Chan Yeol, and somehow, he liked the drunken version better than this one.

 

“But I answered. I’m not her. Surely you can see that. Or, you know, hear that. So why keep calling?”

 

Chan Yeol grumbled from next to him.

 

“I thought you’re one of her flings or something. After seeing all her instagram’s pictures, it only made sense. God, I was such a fool and it just got me angrier.”

 

“What do you want from her, anyway?” Baek Hyun asked, because really, what did Chan Yeol wanted out of all this? The endless phone calls and all, Chan Yeol must want something.  “Explanation?”

 

A closure couldn’t be enough, no?

 

“Yeah, maybe an explanation too. I don’t want her back, but it kinda hurt because we’ve been friends before we got together. Feeling a little betrayed, y’know.” Chan Yeol sighed. “An explanation would be nice.”

 

They were quiet after that, both too immerse in Game of Thrones.

 

The silence wasn’t awkward at all.

 

Baek Hyun would say that it was pleasant, a comforting quiet moment away from the rushes of phone calls and screams from the audit department and running the auditors down for the client’s expenses breakdown and all.

 

“You know,” Baek Hyun had started, “I still think that you’re creepy, man.”

 

Chan Yeol only chuckled out in return.

 

“What gives?”

 

“Dude, three months? That’s not dedication, man, that’s you being obsessive.”

 

“I have to admit that, yeah, I was being creepy, but pride man.” Chan Yeol sighed out. “My pride got trampled all over, not only my group of friends knew about it, but my families and hell, even some strange ers across the globe know about it. I might be childish about it, but don’t tell me I don’t have the right to be angry.”

 

“Why? Because she humiliated you? With the facebook post? Her instagram?” Chan Yeol was quiet when Baek Hyun turned to him. He might not understand it one bit, because while Chan Yeol seemed like a proud man, the elder usually couldn’t be bothered with s like that.

 

It might be because the way his family had brought him up, his interaction with Jong Dae and Kyung Soo and hell, even Lu Han. He knew that such sentiments will only bring him down.

 

Somehow the tall man sitting next to him now didn’t seem that tall at all.

 

He looked like a hurting boy with huffed pink cheeks and pompous attitude and that was probably the first time he ever smiled that genuinely around Chan Yeol, pushing up a hand to pat the man’s head before resting them there.

 

“Let it go Chan Yeol,” He said, “Holding a grudge is not worth it for someone like you. You’re bigger than that, I’m sure of it.” Because now, Chan Yeol didn’t seemed like a crazy stalker to him anymore. Now, he just looked like an angry child, so lost the boy was because he was wronged, and he didn’t know why that was happening.     

 

It was 3.36am when Baek Hyun walked Chan Yeol to the door and bid the man good night. Chan Yeol had looked sleepy, but when the elder told him “You can have better.” the boy had grinned so wide, Baek Hyun actually worried that he might be secretly drunk.  

 

Chan Yeol looked like the ing sky in daylight.  

 

===

 

a/n: OMG how was it? Was it okay? Or nay? I don’t know, man, just drop me a comment or two and lemme know :D

 

SOOOOO sorry for the late update. I’m in my final exam’s week at the moment. I was so busy, I was supposed to send this to dancingducks for her to beta it and stuff, but in the end, I didn’t even manage to do that. I’m a failure gah.

 

I’ll just go ahead and upload the 6th chapter tomorrow or something because why the hell not? And so, please look forward to it XD

 

-bluecoins