Chapter -0-

Waltz

Title: Waltz

Pairing: BaekYeol

Rating: nc-17

Length:  947 Words (0/11)

Genres: Romance

Summary: Baek Hyun has been getting relentless calls from a strange number at the strangest times and he decided to post the contact number on some gay dating website for the calls to stop. It was supposed to work, goddamnit.  

 

===

 

Baek Hyun learned something about human behaviour when he was in college one day. He’d learned that when a close friend failed in an important exam, humans were bound to feel sad –sympathetic even. However, if said friend came first, it was the exact opposite. They’ll feel even worse.

 

Everyone was born competitive no matter who and what they were to each other. It happened even before they were born, you know, 300 millions of yous raced to that one egg and the victor became you.

 

Human nature.

 

It was ty.

 

And that was how he always viewed life when it came to Kim Jong Dae. A bundle of bright and giddy energy that sought to bring misery and suffering to his life with his ugly laughs and smiles and stupid sardonic showcase of love and care.

 

“Guess what I got for the midterm?”

 

“Guess who’s on top of the class again? Hint –it’s not you.”

 

“Guess who’s on the dean’s list again this semester? Hint –it’s not you!”

 

“I swear to God, somebody up there loves me so much, man.”

 

But guess what.

 

you. 

 

They first met thirteen years ago when Baek Hyun was eleven and they stuck with each other ever since. Middle school, high school, college, internship –the only time they weren’t together was during their school life because while Jong Dae had a permanent status in the first class, Baek Hyun was whored out from one class to another like the cheap ragdoll he was.

 

So it was only expected that they were working in the same place now and it was close to 11pm (few minutes away actually) and the whole floor was empty except for few other poor bastards like them staying diligently, although involuntarily, behind.

 

Everything was quiet –they should be if not for the insistent vibrating ing device shaking the whole window pane. He had placed his phone on the floor by the window after all. He did so initially just in case he wouldn’t hear his phone if there was going to be any call, but now, no matter how he regretted his choice, he was just too lazy to move the device away.

 

He swore it was his age.

 

Baek Hyun was tired.

 

Jong Dae was tired too.

 

There was still so much things to do.

 

And yet both of them were drinking iced milk tea, with manila folders scattered all over each of their working desk and some piled under their table in boxes. They were looking out the tall window while leaning heavily on the office chair rolled there. The moon was out, but there were no stars. Light pollution, Jong Dae always said.

 

“So who’s that? Your phone has been vibrating for the last forty minutes.”

 

Jong Dae’s voice sounded bored, drawled out and it wasn’t strange anymore to see the two office chairs being dragged by the windows, taken so far away from their respective desks just so the two accountants can enjoy their bout of teas and pleasant conversation (or silence), basking in the moonlight. It was a routine they had before any major events –Baek Hyun’s balcony before exams when they were in middle and high school, Baek Hyun’s dorm when they were in college, this exact same spot during internship before the peak period and now, here, because peak period was starting very soon.

 

Life was a battlefield after all.

 

Baek Hyun looked up to see Jong Dae frowning from next to him.

 

The whole place was dark, except for this side of the office and the other room where the auditors have been occupying the last few weeks.

 

It was already 11pm, and Baek Hyun was tired. Jong Dae had finished up earlier, but the idiot had came back straight from his client’s place just so that the two of them can drop by the bar later as planned. Personally, Baek Hyun didn’t think that they’ll go through with the plan.  

 

It was their age, he swore, and they were not even that old, 24.

 

“I don’t know.” He huffed out. “He’s been calling since last week.” Baek Hyun shrugged and watched as the call turned into another missed call.

 

He? So you know him?” Jong Dae arched an eyebrow when Baek Hyun nodded.

 

“I answered the call the first time he called. He thought it’s his ex’s number or something –long story, I don’t understand, really.” He explained. “Sounded like a telemarketer thing, I zoned out after that.”

 

He didn’t need to tell Jong Dae about how he had actually hung up the phone immediately after that, cutting off whatever it was the man from the other end was trying to say. It wasn’t his problem, really. Baek Hyun was a realistic man. He didn’t like problems, especially those that had nothing to do with him.

 

Jong Dae hadn’t responded, only hummed out in return as they basked in the temporary sanctuary of silence. It was a rare moment, to be honest, for it was almost impossible to shut his best friend up. Baek Hyun tended to enjoy this moment no matter how rare it was and he could only count the seconds, minutes before everything will be over. This moment.

 

Jong Dae still wanted to talk.


And so he did just that. With a question.  

 

“Aren’t you going to do anything about it?”

 

The question was curious really, because he had been thinking, plotting on what to do to reverse this unfortunate woe. It had been four weeks, it was maddening and it wasn’t even cute.

 

So he turned to look at his best friend and said –

 

“I will.”

 

He’ll figure out a plan later.

 

===

(20/03/2016) : Disclaimer - Thanks to taleoftwocities for pointing out that my opening was basically a direct quote from a Hindi movie called 3 Idiots (You guys should watch it, it's really good. I googled it right away, watched it, and laughed my off). I actually quoted it from my Lecturer Dr. Nakha Ratnam (you can google him too, no harm, he teaches tax) when he teaches one day in class, where in which, he actually quoted it from this movie. We just got back our midterm results, the marks were ty, but I scored higher than a friend so to console the whole class, he said something about human behaviour etc as per quoted below. The quotation from the movie goes as follow (I copied from the subtitle):

"Since childhood we heard that life is like a race. If you don't run fast, others will overtake you. Damn! to take birth, you had to race among 300 millions ."

"We learn something about human behaviour that day. If your friend fails, you feel sad. But if your friend comes first, you feel even more sad. On that day, we were sad." 

And I (embarassingly) wrote this:

"Baek Hyun learned something about human behaviour when he was in college one day. He’d learned that when a close friend failed in an important exam, humans were bound to feel sad –sympathetic even. However, if said friend came first, it was the exact opposite. They’ll feel even worse.

Everyone was born competitive no matter who and what they were to each other. It happened even before they were born, you know, 300 millions ofyous raced to that one egg and the victor became you."

This may seem petty to you, but it's not. It's not cool for you to quote from another's author's work without citing them. I should've cited my lecturer there since the beginning so that everyone knows, in which I didn't. I feel ashamed, and I thank taleoftwocities for taking her time to very kindly point this out.

 ===

a/n:OMG FINALLY! here's the prologue that I've promised...! Anyways, there's nothing much in here for this is more of an introductory. I hope that you liked it (however short they were) and please don't be shy in dropping a comment or two~ Author-nim won't bite~!

p/s: Will upload a new chapter next week, so please look forward to that...! XD

 

-bluecoins