Chapter 04

The Talking Book

“Oppa, aren’t you cold one bit?” The girl standing next to ______ asked after linking their arms together. He smiled at her and he let out a sigh which looked like white smoke filling the air.

“No, not at all.”

 

Jin closed the book and crossed her arms. She was reading the 2nd chapter and it seemed interesting so far, but something felt wrong. Almost everything in the book made her feel like it was about Jongin. Some of the habits that were explained seemed like they were explaining the personality of Kim Jongin. But of course she was wrong. How can a book from approximately 400 years ago talk about a guy called Kim Jongin who was-

“Wait! A week and a half has passed already and I never asked his age! What if he’s a 400 years old e? Oh my God!” She panicked and was about to open the door of her room when suddenly she heard a knock.

“Jongin, I told you that you don’t need to knock on the-” She froze and blinked as she looked at Jongin covered up in a bed comforter. “What’s wrong with you? It’s only the second week of October. It’s not that cold.”

“Ji-jinnn.” He tried to talk as his teeth chattered.

“Come in, Jongin. I’ll make you mint and cinnamon tea.” She welcomed him inside her room and told him to lie on her bed. She covered him with another blanket and left the room.

While making the tea, a flashback crossed her mind.

 

“You don’t need a scarf? Boots? Nothing?” Jin asked him while they were drinking hot chocolate in the balcony.

“Nah, I don’t need that.” He smiled at her but she gave him a weird look. “Can’t you see I’m too hot?” He wiggled his eyebrows and Jin started laughing because he sounded ridiculous. –Even though a part of her mind thought he was too handsome to be human.–

“You aren’t cold one bit?”

Suddenly Jongin froze and he tried to look anywhere but not her eyes.

“Jongin?”

“Y-yeah?”

“Don’t you feel cold at all?”

“No, not at all.”

 

“This is so weird.” Jin muttered under her breath as she poured hot water on his cup. “One day he doesn’t feel cold, the other day he’s freezing. What is this kind of sorcery?” She walked towards her room with two cups of mint and cinnamon tea when suddenly she heard Jongin’s voice and stopped on her tracks.

 

“No, please. It’s too early, please. I have time… I have time!”

 

Suddenly a thought crossed her mind,

 

“Is he dying?”

 

 

“Jongin-ah! Here’s your tea.” She immediately ran inside and grinned at him. “If you don’t mind… Can I ask you something?”

“Yes, you can.” He smiled at her and she took a sip of her tea.

“You haven’t been well lately and I’m afraid something’s wrong with you. And I overheard you saying something about time and-”

“Jin.” He called her name and she looked at him after she stopped talking. “I haven’t been well because I have an allergy by this time of this month, and about the time thing… I have chronophobia. And school starts soon and I was worried.” He laughed while Jin nodded and joined him. But still, she wasn’t fully convinced.

 

“If he’s not dying, then it’s something else.”

 

 

“Are you reading the book?” Jongin asked when she saw her lying on her bed with a book on her hands.

“Yes, I am. Want to join?”

“No, thanks. I was thinking of going out for a walk.”

He closed the door and Jin looked at the book.

 

“Oppa! Tomorrow we’ll complete three months of being together! Wait, oppa? You look different. What’s going on?”

“If I tell you a secret that might change our relationship, will you still love me?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Answer me!”

“I will! I love you with all my heart, oppa!”

“I was born 200 years ago when a second turned from 60 to 61. Under the moonlight, I was born with a power that no human being has. I can teleport from a place to another and I can stop the time too. People didn’t believe me, people thought I was a monster. But today, I need to know what you think. I know I should’ve told you before but I was afraid. Afraid that I would lose you and I would turn back and get stuck in time.”

“So you were the one in the book? The one who tried-”

“Yes, it was me.”

“Don’t worry, oppa. You won’t disappear. You won’t die. You’ll be okay. You’ll be fine.”

 

The next morning, Jongin couldn’t find where his girl was. He searched everywhere they used to go together but she was nowhere to be found.

“An 18 years old by the initial K, committed suicide early in the morning in the Han river. The reason why this happened is still unknown but the people who saw her, heard her shout the name ______.” The reporter spoke.

Before the name was said, the boy disappeared leaving no traces of his existence.

 

 

Jin sighed and read the other pages until the 2nd chapter was already over. By the time she finished, Jongin turned back from the walk and saw Jin writing notes on a notebook.

“What are you doing?” He smiled and leaned forward to see what she was writing but Jin hid the notebook.

“You don’t need to know.” She glared at him and he furrowed his eyebrows.

“Whatever.” He shrugged and left her room. With a sigh she continued to write on her notebook while checking the book with no name. She stopped and closed the notebook before lying on her bed and turning the lights off. “I need to be more careful.” She muttered under her breath and fell asleep.

 

 

“Jongin-ah! Wake up! It’s time for school!” Jin shouted once she entered his room, waking Jongin in an instant.

“What the hell?” He ruffled his messy bed hair and rubbed his sleepy eyes with the back of his hands.

“Do you want to be late for the first class, you bastard?” She threw him the clothes she wanted him to wear and crossed her arms, waiting for him to fully wake up. When his brain started working he threw her a pillow and shouted at her.

“Who are you calling bastard?” He stood up and ran towards her but she screamed and ran to the living room, hiding herself behind the cushions. Jongin started laughing as he clutched his stomach. “You’re so cute, I can’t.” He wiped away the tears that fell from his eyes.

“You like laughing at me, huh?” She crossed her arms and walked away. “Get ready or I’ll leave you behind!” She shouted from the kitchen with full with cereals.

 

 

“Please introduce yourself. I know we’re not in high school but I like it when new students introduce themselves.” The female professor grinned at Jongin but he gulped. She was wearing high heels and clothes that showed her curves and honestly, Jongin was sick of that.

“Even professors have become like this?” He muttered under his breath while the professor was waiting for him to talk. He put his hands in his jeans’ pockets and looked at the class.

“Hello, class. I’m Kim Jongin and I came here to study and not look at our professor’s legs. Nice to see you.” He bowed and walked towards Jin’s seat while the class started laughing and telling him he was ‘great’.

“Whoa, Kim Jongin the badass.” Jin laughed at him but he shook his head. “We only have three classes today. After this class you’ll get to meet my friends.” She smiled and Jongin nodded.

“Girls or boys?” He asked.

“Boys.”

“Yah! Jin! You should have girls as friends, not boys!”

“How old are you, Jongin?” Jongin’s mouth fell open. Words couldn’t come out of his mouth while his mind was calculating the years.

“I’m 20! Why?” He crossed his arms and glared at her.

“Then you should know that nowadays it’s completely fine to have five guy friends and no female friends at all.” Jin flipped her hair and opened her book.

“Are you telling me that you don’t have female friends?” He almost raised his voice but tried to hold himself from shouting at her.

“Are you jealous, Jonginnie? And no, I don’t. None of them wants to be friends with a librarian who lives alone.”

“You have me now.” He smiled at her and she chuckled a bit.

“That’s why I don’t need anyone else.”